Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
What news are you expecting? He's in the WHL this season. Nothing will change that.

At most, you might have people posting clips of his plays here.
Which is what I would expect to see along with analysis of his play from anyone that is watching. Not a page and a half of people arguing about the CHL and player eligibility. That’s a topic for another thread.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Which is what I would expect to see along with analysis of his play from anyone that is watching. Not a page and a half of people arguing about the CHL and player eligibility. That’s a topic for another thread.

Come now. You've been here forever. Off-tangent discussions for topics that don't get a lot of action should be expected.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I am not a huge fan of the CHL agreement but I understand why they have it. I do think that they should make a change to include something similar to the Exceptional Player Status the CHL currently uses for underage players that are ready to make the jump.
I think this would be a good idea, something like each team gets to have one exception player at all times.

As for the majority of CHL players, the rule is probably a good thing. As a previous poster mentioned, most players will not make the NHL and for each year played in the CHL they accrue money towards their educational fund. Money that can be used towards educating themselves for a career after hockey.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Nah. Shit that works in juniors just doesn't work in the pros. Guys are too fast, too strong, and too talented. Confidence.... maybe. Dach needed to play in Rockford and learn how to produce against professionals and men. Not against kids.
People talk about Dach like he was a dominant junior, he wasn’t. He had a good draft season but should have been sent back to Saskatoon to build size, strength and speed… to work in weaknesses in his game where success was more likely to happen… to dominate for a season. He wasn’t ready to play against men, whether it be in the NHL or AHL.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
8 pointsvon 5GP and +8...BUT onl 1 goal tonga....is he benefitting from Seattle's depth ofctalentvsurredibg hom this pilingbupnassists as other might if they pkayed in thatvteam?

For instance last t night Seattle scored 11 goals to win 11-3...Korchinski got ONLY 2 apples in the game and they came on the 9thvand 10th goals Seattlecscored...they really did not even need any offense from hom..

Point is you expect yourcstar hogh draft pick to be a star in such a big score hame..hexwas not in tgevtop 3xstarscofvtge game...Seattle has so much depth thiscyear that others can claim star sfor big production.on certain nights.

Not croticizi g hom...justvthat you want your high draft pick to be an impact difference 'maker...But itbis hardcto tell if he can ve that given that he has so much depth around him on such dominant team.

So just a caveat at looking at his production...could be inflated by tge quality of the team around him.

Would like to see more goal scoring and shot development from him...so that too.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
My opinion it was the right move for Korchinski to play WHL this season - even if AHL were an option. Next year is when it becomes a potential issue when he may (hopefully) have proven he is above the CHL level of play but maybe not quite ready to be thrown into the NHL.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My opinion it was the right move for Korchinski to play WHL this season - even if AHL were an option. Next year is when it becomes a potential issue when he may (hopefully) have proven he is above the CHL level of play but maybe not quite ready to be thrown into the NHL.

Which is why it's being discussed in here. Not sure why people are bitching about it, when it directly impacts a Hawks prospect.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Which is why it's being discussed in here. Not sure why people are bitching about it, when it directly impacts a Hawks prospect.

I understand and agree the discussion is germane to Korchinski's situation - my annoyance is that (1) it get's "HF'd" which means it turns into a dig in your heels argument that goes on longer than it needs to when there is little possibility of minds/positions changing, and (2) the WHL season has started and Korchinski has played some games so I would much prefer some commentary and video on what Korchinski is actually doing in games.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Made a main board thread about it for some outsiders opinions

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Imagine thinking Korchinski returning to juniors next season is the right move for his development, and that there's nothing wrong with the NHL/CHL transfer agreement. He's likely too good for the WHL this season.(the WHL sucks)

Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Imagine thinking Korchinski returning to juniors next season is the right move for his development, and that there's nothing wrong with the NHL/CHL transfer agreement. He's likely too good for the WHL this season.(the WHL sucks)
He gets nothing out of kicking ass this year? I think it’s good for development/confidence to know he’s an elite player by performing like one. He’ll have time to work his way up through more difficult comp.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He gets nothing out of kicking ass this year? I think it’s good for development/confidence to know he’s an elite player by performing like one. He’ll have time to work his way up through more difficult comp.

As someone who has played and coached hockey my entire f***ing life? No. He doesn't get anything out of TWO years of dominating a league he doesn't belong in. If you are to grow and develop as a player, you need success AND failure. Failure actually teaches you more, development wise, than success. If you never NEED to be better to have success in a league, your development stagnates, and you learn nothing.

This isn't just a hockey thing. This is actually human development 101, and applies to almost everything in life.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This evaluation of being too good is as he's great all around which he's not. He isn't someone who will dominate defensively there so he still can work that skill

Reactions: Sinbad

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Let's not act like Korchinski dominated the WHL last season. He was under a PPG, only had 4 goals the whole season, wasn't very good defensively, etc. It was 1000% the right move to send him back this season. Let him dominate on both ends of the ice and get more playoff exposure and hopefully a championship. Next year... that's when you can have that convo if he should go back or not.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Don't think Pez is arguing against KK being sent back to the WHL this season, but moreso the possibility of him going back next season if he's not completely ready for the NHL.

And I would agree with that. If only there was a league that was better than the CHL, not as good as the NHL, and wasn't overseas (or college)...

Correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad