Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Ordinarily a dman with 12 points in 6GP and a+10 woukd be said to be "dominating" the WHL...but you must take this on CONTEXT...

Seattle this sesdon so far has not been an ordinary team:

8-0 to pen the season 49 GF and only 21 agaibst...
So tgeycscore 6.225 goals axgame ...

Obviously since Korcjonsji scoredvonkyv1 goal of the 49 we must put his 11asdists in context.

Is he the reason forcthosex12asdists or woukd almost any #1dman off any other WHL also pile up assists on that team with so many good goal scorers finishing so many shots and running up big score games..

In other words is Korchonski so special or metkey a replaceable passenger who is beneficiary ofcalk that depth and talent on this team?

I think I would be a bit more impressed if he had 4g 8a instead of merely 1g 11 helpers of which some are mere secondary assists...

A lot of WHL first pairing dmen woukd pikevup assists on that team.

Whatever happened to Hawjs drafting dmen that coukd score a lot of goals from that position with theirbliibtvshots...So far we have no evidence Korchonski 's shot from theboiintvis anything special.

Thisvis not to say skatibgcandvpuck moving are not valueablexasetscin today's NHL dmen...but it has been a long rinexsince we drafted anyone close to Doug Wikson's shot from the point...Tgebkast dman we draftedxwho had any decent piibtcshot wss Seabrook.

Surely somewhere in the hockey must be sone dman with tge ability to score goals from the point.

My concern is tfatxKorchonski benefits more from being on a stacked Seattlecjuniorcteam than they benefit from his presence as an essential difference maker.

Put it yhusxwY...-if Avs lis Makar to injury woukf they be as good and able to win without him?
But if Kirchonaki got hurt would his Seattle Thunderbird squad sink back to an average team?

BecausezKorchinski's points are so skewed to assists it begs thex question of is he essential to Seattel's success or could a lot of other dmen also pilevuo assists as thei Seattle f orwards uo front contnue domination of the WHL this season?

I am not dissing Korchinski...merely advising giddy fans to tempur their enthusiam as if he is sone kind of saviour or Makar-like essential difference-maker suoerxstar .blueliner.

Plus a lot of f hawksxfans tend to wildly over-rate ourvprospects...esoecialky 1st rounders.

So let us hope hemakesxa decent contribution once he fetsctobtge NHL...but do not count him as our future "game-changer" abd savuour.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Ordinarily a dman with 12 points in 6GP and a+10 woukd be said to be "dominating" the WHL...but you must take this on CONTEXT...

Seattle this sesdon so far has not been an ordinary team:

8-0 to pen the season 49 GF and only 21 agaibst...
So tgeycscore 6.225 goals axgame ...

Obviously since Korcjonsji scoredvonkyv1 goal of the 49 we must put his 11asdists in context.

Is he the reason forcthosex12asdists or woukd almost any #1dman off any other WHL also pile up assists on that team with so many good goal scorers finishing so many shots and running up big score games..

In other words is Korchonski so special or metkey a replaceable passenger who is beneficiary ofcalk that depth and talent on this team?

I think I would be a bit more impressed if he had 4g 8a instead of merely 1g 11 helpers of which some are mere secondary assists...

A lot of WHL first pairing dmen woukd pikevup assists on that team.

Whatever happened to Hawjs drafting dmen that coukd score a lot of goals from that position with theirbliibtvshots...So far we have no evidence Korchonski 's shot from theboiintvis anything special.

Thisvis not to say skatibgcandvpuck moving are not valueablexasetscin today's NHL dmen...but it has been a long rinexsince we drafted anyone close to Doug Wikson's shot from the point...Tgebkast dman we draftedxwho had any decent piibtcshot wss Seabrook.

Surely somewhere in the hockey must be sone dman with tge ability to score goals from the point.

My concern is tfatxKorchonski benefits more from being on a stacked Seattlecjuniorcteam than they benefit from his presence as an essential difference maker.

Put it yhusxwY...-if Avs lis Makar to injury woukf they be as good and able to win without him?
But if Kirchonaki got hurt would his Seattle Thunderbird squad sink back to an average team?

BecausezKorchinski's points are so skewed to assists it begs thex question of is he essential to Seattel's success or could a lot of other dmen also pilevuo assists as thei Seattle f orwards uo front contnue domination of the WHL this season?

I am not dissing Korchinski...merely advising giddy fans to tempur their enthusiam as if he is sone kind of saviour or Makar-like essential difference-maker suoerxstar .blueliner.

Plus a lot of f hawksxfans tend to wildly over-rate ourvprospects...esoecialky 1st rounders.

So let us hope hemakesxa decent contribution once he fetsctobtge NHL...but do not count him as our future "game-changer" abd savuour.

Do you ever have a positive thought?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Don't think Pez is arguing against KK being sent back to the WHL this season, but moreso the possibility of him going back next season if he's not completely ready for the NHL.

And I would agree with that. If only there was a league that was better than the CHL, not as good as the NHL, and wasn't overseas (or college)...

This. Being forced back to an inferior league, against piss-poor competition, for him to dominate a bunch of kids, just because of some stupid ass agreement that they can't play in the AHL... is the dumbest shit ever.

I'm not sure why you still read his posts. As soon as I see the random caps and 3 year old's spelling, I scroll on by. I highly recommend it. ;)

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The problem with him, other than folks like you who link his posts so I see them is, …
Did you ever really read through (as best you can) his posts?
For someone pretending to be the supreme authority he actually appears to know very little about how the game is played.
Also at times others ask him legitimate questions about something he posts yet he never responds. If you’re not willing to explain yourself … don’t post.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The problem with him, other than folks like you who link his posts so I see them is, …
For someone pretending to be the supreme authority he actually appears to know very little about how the game is played.
Also at times others ask him legitimate questions about something he posts yet he never responds. If you’re not willing to explain yourself … don’t post.

Maybe if we had mods with some testicular fortitude that could be corrected.
R. I. P.
Space umpire

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's grand fathered in.
And much like those shitty asbestos-filled dive bars that still allow smoking inside, it’s probably time to shut it down.

He’s the personification of a windowless, sticky-floored dive that doesn’t have a lock on the women’s bathroom.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Yea, I removed the last part. It was uncalled for. They come in peace and rules may not be a good thing.
It wasn't that it was uncalled for, just that it'd be hilarious if you ended up with a ban because you complained about mods not handing out bans.

Reactions: bwana63

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
If Korchenski dominates this season, I'd look at sending him to Europe.

To me, he looks like Chicago's attempt at having their own Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: bwana63 and Pertti

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

If we're going to advocate censorship based on more than the standard terms and conditions of a public forum (which I hope never happens) - then I submit there are plenty of posts more worthy of being censored than fiddy's fumble-fingered ramblings. I get that his acquired taste has not been widely acquired but unlike many posts he stays on point for being Hawks related commentary and whether or not he decides to respond to other posters doesn't preclude him from posting here - does it?

My take of fiddy is that he often isn't wrong and at the very least he can be quite entertaining - naster okan indeed.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
That's not a bad option. I wonder if the larger ice surface in Europe would help or hinder his defensive development?

The benefits of him playing against men a year earlier are offset by the fact that he'll be playing a completely different game in the big ice. I don't see the value.

Reactions: Giovi

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
There is no question...play on a dominant team and you will pad your stats just because of the player depth and quality on such a team..

WE coukd ask if Makar would post as spectacular numbers as he did last season with the Avs if instead he were with Chicago's dreadful team last season where they spentv80% ofvtheorvtine chasibgvthebouck around thed-zibe till the opps scored..Makar probably woukd have ben shell shocked and turned into a Boqvist-like pushed around just another guy type.

So Korchinski absolutely benefits...especially with assists .. which get padded onto his stats..

Unless a fan who watches his games regularly can attest to his assists being essential to the scores that resulted,I cannot say the feat of 12 points in just 6 gamesviscthat special given the team's prolific scoring per game.

I suppose there are other measures to assess impact super dominance and impact to wins:

How many 2st/2nd/3rd Starsvofvthe Game did he get?

6/18 stars awarded = very special

3/18 stars awarded= still very good but maybe not that special.

1 ir 2 stars out of 6 games=my skepticism about getting really excited is reduced ..at least no longer to hype statis/bet the farm on him as savior etc...

If hevojayed on the worst of 2ndcworst WHL team and still put up 6 points in 6 games on a crapoy team Then we woukd be excite as his talent supercedes tge context...suoerceds his circumstances.

But on such a stacked Seattle team dominating tge WHK,I advise to reserve judgement ...till we find outv F he can tilt the ice by himself...IF his mere addition can transform the Hawks into a much greater threat to contend ...

Stats by themselves do not impress me much ...they must be in context to thexquality of team he is playing with.

TgerexARE players who do inpactca team via there talentvand can lift into victories...Just notcsure yet if hevcan do that for us

This is nitvto say he is notca goidcpkayer who will have a long NHL career...ratger that he may not be as great an impact as some are hyping on him.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
There is no question...play on a dominant team and you will pad your stats just because of the player depth and quality on such a team..

WE coukd ask if Makar would post as spectacular numbers as he did last season with the Avs if instead he were with Chicago's dreadful team last season where they spentv80% ofvtheorvtine chasibgvthebouck around thed-zibe till the opps scored..Makar probably woukd have ben shell shocked and turned into a Boqvist-like pushed around just another guy type.

So Korchinski absolutely benefits...especially with assists .. which get padded onto his stats..

Unless a fan who watches his games regularly can attest to his assists being essential to the scores that resulted,I cannot say the feat of 12 points in just 6 gamesviscthat special given the team's prolific scoring per game.

I suppose there are other measures to assess impact super dominance and impact to wins:

How many 2st/2nd/3rd Starsvofvthe Game did he get?

6/18 stars awarded = very special

3/18 stars awarded= still very good but maybe not that special.

1 ir 2 stars out of 6 games=my skepticism about getting really excited is reduced ..at least no longer to hype statis/bet the farm on him as savior etc...

If hevojayed on the worst of 2ndcworst WHL team and still put up 6 points in 6 games on a crapoy team Then we woukd be excite as his talent supercedes tge context...suoerceds his circumstances.

But on such a stacked Seattle team dominating tge WHK,I advise to reserve judgement ...till we find outv F he can tilt the ice by himself...IF his mere addition can transform the Hawks into a much greater threat to contend ...

Stats by themselves do not impress me much ...they must be in context to thexquality of team he is playing with.

TgerexARE players who do inpactca team via there talentvand can lift into victories...Just notcsure yet if hevcan do that for us

This is nitvto say he is notca goidcpkayer who will have a long NHL career...ratger that he may not be as great an impact as some are hyping on him.

Makar >>>> Boqvist

Cale Makar is one of the best defensemen I've ever watched in my entire life.

Put Boqvist on that stacked Avs team and I guarantee you he posts nowhere near the numbers that Makar does. Just my opinion.

As for Korchinski, I'm not quite sure what route would be the best option for the Hawks to take. I'm afraid that I don't understand why they wouldn't be able to send him to the AHL. That would be the best option if he didn't make the team next season but if they can't send him there due to whatever rule, then I don't really know what the best option would be. Europe to play against men sounds great but the big ice surface changes the game completely and could potentially make whatever flaws he may have in his game become worse. Also maybe he comes in next year and makes it impossible to keep from the team. We'll just have to wait and see.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
His takes are sometimes out there, but he’s far more entertaining than you are with your incessant bitching about other posters.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I’d be more worried about Korchinski padding stats on a good team if he wasn’t second on the team in PPG by 0.1 PPG.

Primary/Secondary assists is a pointless exercise to track for a defensman. Especially one that’s phenomenal in transition like Korchinski. A lot of times their second assist is the breakout play that starts the rush and makes the chance happen. There’s countless plays where the third touch was the most important play and they don’t get an assist.

Wanting to grade players by 3 star nominations is a take though :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad