Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
He’s a nhl level defenseman, he doesn’t need to be playing against children.

KK will turn 19 June 21st. He's one of the youngest 2022 draftees. He will play the entire 2023/24 WHL season as a 19 year old - against 20 year olds, other 19 year olds, 18 year olds, and a few 17 year olds. If you want to call them children - then so is he.

How much have you seen him play - whole games, not just a highlight snippet? I've watched about 40 Seattle games since the conclusion of the WJC and I'm telling you he would benefit greatly by playing next season in the WHL.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Double K .. gotta love it. His name tends to scream NHL star.
At least that's my two cents.
But yeah ... some man body growing in Junior won't hurt a bit.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Honestly I’d probably start him in Rockford in 24 unless he’s too good in camp/preseason.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I wanna see Korchinski dominate the WHL points wise being the main guy. He deferred too much with the Thunderbirds because his team is so good. Kid really needs to improve his shot (not to mention shoot the puck more).

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I wanna see Korchinski dominate the WHL points wise being the main guy. He deferred too much with the Thunderbirds because his team is so good. Kid really needs to improve his shot (not to mention shoot the puck more).

He has the skating agility to walk the blue line and open up a shooting lane but he's a half tick slow to get his shot off and he doesn't get great velocity so his shot is not very effective. If he can improve the speed and velocity of that blue line shot it will go a long ways to making him a top PP-QB in the NHL.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Deferred too much? He was third on the team in points as a defenseman playing far fewer games. Had he played 65 games last year he probably leads his team and the league in points by a defensemen at 18.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Deferred too much? He was third on the team in points aaa defenseman playing far fewer games. Had he played 65 games last year he probably leads his team and the league in points by a defensemen at 18.

He had 11 goals and 62 assists. Almost all of those assists were from passes - not rebounds off of his shot. His goal scoring improved from the previous season where he got only 4 goals and 61 assists - but he could have taken a lot more shots this past season but chose to pass up shots to pass to a team mate.

He should shoot more next season when many of the high end scorers will either be in the NHL or age out of the WHL. Of the top-9 forwards - I think 7 of them will be gone next season so KK will have a much bigger role in putting the puck in the net.

Reactions: clydesdale line

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
He had 11 goals and 62 assists. Almost all of those assists were from passes - not rebounds off of his shot. His goal scoring improved from the previous season where he got only 4 goals and 61 assists - but he could have taken a lot more shots this past season but chose to pass up shots to pass to a team mate.

He should shoot more next season when many of the high end scorers will either be in the NHL or age out of the WHL. Of the top-9 forwards - I think 7 of them will be gone next season so KK will have a much bigger role in putting the puck in the net.
I mean your just making stuff up right?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I mean your just making stuff up right?

No, I've watched every Seattle game after the WJC with the exception of 2 or 3. I've seen KK play A LOT and I'm telling you the vast majority of KK's assists came from passing to the goal scorer or picking up the secondary assist by passing it to the guy getting the primary assist.

I'm not trying to minimize what KK has done because he's an excellent passer - BUT - he is a reluctant shooter who does not possess a good shot.

Reactions: clydesdale line

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
No, I've watched every Seattle game after the WJC with the exception of 2 or 3. I've seen KK play A LOT and I'm telling you the vast majority of KK's assists came from passing to the goal scorer or picking up the secondary assist by passing it to the guy getting the primary assist.

I'm not trying to minimize what KK has done because he's an excellent passer - BUT - he is a reluctant shooter who does not possess a good shot.
I absolutely agree.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

How do you like Allen and Dach?

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012

I'm fine with him not shooting and looking to find the back of the net a ton (Duncan Keith had pretty horrendous accuracy) but he needs to be looking for tips and dirty goals especially if he's not getting a ton of velocity.

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Im not the person youre asking but I have watched their last 5ish games against tough competition.

Allen looks quietly very good. I’ve noticed he does make bone-head moves sometimes, particularly against fast opponents but he has decent D-zone coverage, blocks shots, and oddly has good offensive instincts when to get the puck on net.

Dach has struggled to get many, if any, points in the games ive watched. One things i will say about him though, is he is extremely sticky on the puck. Hes great with holding puck possession in tights areas, and corner puck retrieval. He hits hard but doesnt focus on it. Skating is not crazy good but he does a decent job slowly the game down when he has the puck on his stick. I see a clear-cut third liner with Dach.

Thats my two-cents

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I like Allan quite a bit. I'll like him even more after a year in Rockford. He skates well and plays a physical game but I think he still gets caught out of position 2-3 times a game. He will be an NHL d-man within the next couple years but maybe more of a 4/5 guy than a 3/4 guy.

Dach has the size and skates well enough but seems kind of out of control a bit. I don't have a good read on him.

Reactions: Muffinalt

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
Im not the person youre asking but I have watched their last 5ish games against tough competition.

Allen looks quietly very good. I’ve noticed he does make bone-head moves sometimes, particularly against fast opponents but he has decent D-zone coverage, blocks shots, and oddly has good offensive instincts when to get the puck on net.

Dach has struggled to get many, if any, points in the games ive watched. One things i will say about him though, is he is extremely sticky on the puck. Hes great with holding puck possession in tights areas, and corner puck retrieval. He hits hard but doesnt focus on it. Skating is not crazy good but he does a decent job slowly the game down when he has the puck on his stick. I see a clear-cut third liner with Dach.

Thats my two-cents
Couple of things I’ve noticed about KK. For a speedy offensive d man he is willing to sacrifice his body to make a play. In a good way, as in he doesnt panic when pressured.

Also because of his smooth skating and great passing, KK is EXCELLENT at quick re-entries into the o zone to keep on the pressure. I ve seen a few times the opposition is able to get the puck into the neutral, KK gathers the puck and flies back into the attack or passes the puck for great chances. Opp players seem to get caught taking a breath from this skill.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
watching this Tbirds game.

Korchinski could run an NHL PP right now. His passing is excellent. Great edges too.

He definitely looks a bit lost in his own zone sometimes. Lots of teachable stuff though. Had a turnover that ended up in the net. (Off a pass from Dach)

Overall really like his game.

Dach skates pretty well for a big guy. I still see him as a good 3rd line wing. Not sure how much he’ll score.

Also think Allan has turned himself into a really solid defender. Skates really well, physical, good stick. Like someone else mentioned, probably a 4/5 D.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I like Allan quite a bit. I'll like him even more after a year in Rockford. He skates well and plays a physical game but I think he still gets caught out of position 2-3 times a game. He will be an NHL d-man within the next couple years but maybe more of a 4/5 guy than a 3/4 guy.

Dach has the size and skates well enough but seems kind of out of control a bit. I don't have a good read on him.
I see Dach as a career third liner, someone who can give teams a hard time and chip in a bit offensively. Nothing wrong with that.

Ive been really impressed with Allan though. It seems like he has all the tools. He’s a decent skater, solid defensively, not afraid to use his size. And he’s shown to have some offensive upside during these playoffs. He’s one to watch for me.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I see Dach as a career third liner, someone who can give teams a hard time and chip in a bit offensively. Nothing wrong with that.

Ive been really impressed with Allan though. It seems like he has all the tools. He’s a decent skater, solid defensively, not afraid to use his size. And he’s shown to have some offensive upside during these playoffs. He’s one to watch for me.

I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on Allan and del Mastro in Rockford next season. Both are LDs who have played some on the right side. I hope they play together. It would be cool for them to get a nice chemistry thing going and graduate to the Hawks together in 2024/25 as a solid defensive 3rd pairing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Korchinski could run an NHL PP right now. His passing is excellent. Great edges too.

He definitely looks a bit lost in his own zone sometimes. Lots of teachable stuff though. Had a turnover that ended up in the net. (Off a pass from Dach)

Overall really like his game.

Dach skates pretty well for a big guy. I still see him as a good 3rd line wing. Not sure how much he’ll score.

Also think Allan has turned himself into a really solid defender. Skates really well, physical, good stick. Like someone else mentioned, probably a 4/5 D.

Just think how much better he would be if he added a booming point shot that he can get to the net on a regular basis.

I love watching Olen Zellweger play because not only is he a wizard with his skating and passing but he has a lethal shot that he's not shy to use from anywhere in the O-zone. I hope KK tries to emulate him.

Reactions: HawksDub89

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Or even as a 4th line guy. He skates well enough to be an effective forechecker and he certainly has no problem laying the wood and mixing it up. And, as you said he has some offensive ability too.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
After watching the t-birds playoffs and memorial cup I would be ok if KK played another year in the WHL. He still has things to work on and I’m concerned it may be harder to work on them in the AHL.

Allen looks really good. He seems to play a good 2-way game.

Dach looks like a bottom 6 guy that can run around and chip in occasionally. Sort of looks like Entwhistle with a bit more jam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad