Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
One thing I learned about the board from my previous years ... we are way too harsh on young defenseman. Athough some are merited criticisms, many times we give up way too quickly on young DMen. The unfortunate truth ... DMen (esp. tall ones) usually take a long time to develop and like most fans, we are way too impatient. For that reason, let KK stay in the WHL for another year. Let him develop without the glare of Chicago. There's no rush to get him to the AHL or NHL.
Said this about pokka too 🥴

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Thought he looked tired, which is to be expected given that this is the second season in a row that he’s been a part of a deep playoff run (on top of a hectic summer last year due to it being his draft year). Kid really hasn’t had much of a break over the past 19-20 months.

Let’s not forget just how good he looked at nhl camp this season. That’s who Kevin Korchinski actually is

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
KevKor™ is going to be just fine. I don't expect him to jump into the league and set it on fire but he will be a good one. Defensemen take a while to figure it out, especially big boiz like KevKor™, who is a 6'3" teenager adjusting to his body.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I only watched two of the games (the first one against Peterborough and the final, but I can’t emphasize enough how poorly I thought the TBirds were coached. There seemed to be no structure and seemed like their offensive strategy was try to beat everyone 1on1 and then throw the puck into a space when that doesn’t work.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I only watched two of the games (the first one against Peterborough and the final, but I can’t emphasize enough how poorly I thought the TBirds were coached. There seemed to be no structure and seemed like their offensive strategy was try to beat everyone 1on1 and then throw the puck into a space when that doesn’t work.
That’s just junior hockey in a nutshell. Very up and down.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Birds game plan through out the year was to be physical, grind down opponents, use odd man rushes to your advantage and when you couldnt create those, basically 'dump' and chase, control the puck in the offensive zone set up for a good shot.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah but the new move is burning the year and getting the ELC to extension faster. Generally cheaper now.
I know the ELC implications but I thought if he played more than 9 games he couldn't be sent back down to the CHL.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah but the new move is burning the year and getting the ELC to extension faster. Generally cheaper now.
I can agree with that. If he's looking promising it may be better to sign him to a cheaper contract sooner than wait an extra season and have him be worth a bigger deal. ELC years on any of our current prospects are irrelevant for the next 3 seasons anyway since we won't be contending and we have all the cap in the world during that time.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I can agree with that. If he's looking promising it may be better to sign him to a cheaper contract sooner than wait an extra season and have him be worth a bigger deal. ELC years on any of our current prospects are irrelevant for the next 3 seasons anyway since we won't be contending and we have all the cap in the world during that time.
Yep. 39 NHL games and World Juniors should be KK's developmental season this year. Unfortunately, the AHL is not an option for KK. If it was, KK would be playing 9 NHL games and developing in Rockford. IMO, what more can KK learn from another year with the Seattle Thunderbirds? I'd rather have him practicing and strength training under the close eye of the current Hawks' staff.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Yep. 39 NHL games and World Juniors should be KK's developmental season this year. Unfortunately, the AHL is not an option for KK. If it was, KK would be playing 9 NHL games and developing in Rockford. IMO, what more can KK learn from another year with the Seattle Thunderbirds? I'd rather have him practicing and strength training under the close eye of the current Hawks' staff.
I agree. What’s he going to learn beating up on kids younger than him?

I want him to get to 200 games as quickly as possible. Having a head coach that played 1400+ NHL games should be better than any JR coach.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I agree. What’s he going to learn beating up on kids younger than him?

I want him to get to 200 games as quickly as possible. Having a head coach that played 1400+ NHL games should be better than any JR coach.
I'd rather him getting 25 minutes a game in every situation in the WHL if he's struggling with the physicality of the NHL. If he's able to hang physically in the bigs - I think he sticks. Just not worth it to fast-track him if his confidence takes a hit because he's overmatched phsyically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad