Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm totally unable to understand how you don't see the CHL's importance to the NHL.

Clearly I'm talking to a wall here.
Obviously the CHL is important to the NHL talent that is drafted. At the same time, all the best talent, or "draws" to sell tickets, don't play there for more than their 16-18 years, anyways. It's stupid to force 19-20 year olds to go back and play against 16 year old kids when the league could be far below their talent/ability, and it could hurt their growth/development for the rest of their career. In short, it's dumb to force those older kids to go back there, or play in Europe, or with their NHL team, when they could easily continue their development properly, playing against other men/pros in the AHL.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And when I say bad I mean bad in the way that Amazon unionizing across the country would be bad for Jeff Bezos.
Not a lot. Amazon customers would suffer because they would pass the costs onto them - with higher shipping charges for example.

Obviously the CHL is important to the NHL talent that is drafted. At the same time, all the best talent, or "draws" to sell tickets, don't play there for more than their 16-18 years, anyways. It's stupid to force 19-20 year olds to go back and play against 16 year old kids when the league could be far below their talent/ability, and it could hurt their growth/development for the rest of their career. In short, it's dumb to force those older kids to go back there, or play in Europe, or with their NHL team, when they could easily continue their development properly, playing against other men/pros in the AHL.
Wrong. Most drafted players don't make the NHL and the ones playing in the CHL are returned. And the majority need another year in the CHL. Now the season before they turn 20 many are ready for the pros but how do you decide which ones should be able to go to the AHL.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There's no defense for the CHL transfer agreement. It's asinine. The CHL isn't going to fold because a couple of players every season play in the AHL instead of slumming in junior hockey against a bunch of children (because they are forced to). Forcing those players to play in the CHL absolutely stunts their development. You are effectively delaying their development into professional hockey players by a year. Sometimes more.

Why does no such agreement exist for the USHL? How does the USHL survive without such an agreement, and with their best players usually going off to play in the NCAA?

Oh, and I'm perfectly fine with the CHL agreement staying in place. Because, as time goes on, the USHL will continue pulling in top Canadian prospects who would much rather go the USHL-->NCAA route, instead.

The USHL is a superior development league, anyways.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And if it wasn't that vacuum would just remain unfilled? Of course not.

It's f***ed that guys are contractually forced to play in a league beneath their ability and potentially harming their growth so that people can keep making money off of them. This isn't even about Korchinski.
Which prospect got f***ed over by this rule?

Who spent "too much" time in the CHL and it ruined their development?

Reactions: Giovi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Not a lot. Amazon customers would suffer because they would pass the costs onto them - with higher shipping charges for example.

Wrong. Most drafted players don't make the NHL and the ones playing in the CHL are returned. And the majority need another year in the CHL. Now the season before they turn 20 many are ready for the pros but how do you decide which ones should be able to go to the AHL.

Lol. Nothing about what I said is wrong. You struggle with reading? All the very tip-top talent draws that REALLY sell the tickets, are out of the CHL by 18 or so. Guys like a Kane, or a Matthews, who play maybe 2 seasons in the CHL at ages 16 and 17, and then jump straight to the NHL. You really think the guys who draw in fans and sell tickets are the guys who have to spend 4-5 years in the CHL because they can't make their NHL team, or don't get drafted? :laugh:

They shouldn't be forced to continue in the CHL, and not have the ability to develop against other men in the AHL. Especially the older prospects, who have no option but to play in the NHL, or the CHL. Do you really think it's fair having 19 or 20 year olds playing against 16 year old high school kids? That's f***ing asinine. You have kids at 16 who are 4'10 and 110lbs soaking wet(THEY'RE KIDS), and then you potentially have 20 year old (essentially grown men) that are 6'1 and 200lbs+ playing against them? That's the definition of stupidity.

What a god-awful post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am not a huge fan of the CHL agreement but I understand why they have it. I do think that they should make a change to include something similar to the Exceptional Player Status the CHL currently uses for underage players that are ready to make the jump.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am not a huge fan of the CHL agreement but I understand why they have it. I do think that they should make a change to include something similar to the Exceptional Player Status the CHL currently uses for underage players that are ready to make the jump.

It needs to be done away with. Guys should be allowed to progress through their development properly without being held back playing in lesser leagues against lesser competition. It's stupid. As if the CHL will fold because 10% or even 20% of the drafted players make the jump to the AHL...

Like pez said, though, there's a big reason you're seeing far more players starting to go the NCAA route. And it's not for the frat parties.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
It should be simple enough to craft a solution where everyone wins. A D+2 season buyout where the NHL team can have the player in the AHL and the junior team gets a nice transfer payment.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It should be simple enough to craft a solution where everyone wins. A D+2 season buyout where the NHL team can have the player in the AHL and the junior team gets a nice transfer payment.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd be fine with that as a compromise, honestly. It takes your older players and gets them on the proper development path, instead of being basically grown ass men playing against kids, or jumping straight into the NHL and being there too early, crushing their confidence and development.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It needs to be done away with. Guys should be allowed to progress through their development properly without being held back playing in lesser leagues against lesser competition. It's stupid. As if the CHL will fold because 10% or even 20% of the drafted players make the jump to the AHL...

Like pez said, though, there's a big reason you're seeing far more players starting to go the NCAA route. And it's not for the frat parties.

I agree with the college hockey comments and I love seeing the college game grow. I went to a school that has a good hockey program and enjoyed going to games plus I grew up going to Michigan State and Michigan games. The atmosphere is incredible.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Which prospect got f***ed over by this rule?

Who spent "too much" time in the CHL and it ruined their development?
It's never just one thing and you know that. Why put up further obstacles though?

Any prospect who relies on physical gifts because they've matured early is done a disservice by playing another year against teenagers.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
It's never just one thing and you know that. Why put up further obstacles though?

Any prospect who relies on physical gifts because they've matured early is done a disservice by playing another year against teenagers.
Based ont he type of game he plays, I almost felt like Savoie was ready for the NHL. Not complaining that he got sent down but he is such an agitator he is fun to watch. Not sure of his skill set and what is upside is offensively but I was kind of hoping the would have been a surprise and have made the roster this year. I am a little disappointed Reichel didnt make the team but he really has not stood out other than the nice goal from Korchinski's set-up and I am kind of wondering if my long term expectations were a little too high on him in the first place. I hope not.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
KK (and Dach before him) are excellent examples of why the NHL/CHL transfer agreement is trash. Kids too good for Junior (probably KK next year), but they can't play in the AHL yet. So they either go back and don't progress as much because they need to be playing a level higher, or they get rushed to the NHL because there's no in between.

There needs to be exceptions.
there definitely should be a change made but nhl teams need to be smarter about developing young players, outside the rare exceptions most of these guys should use the full extent of their junior eligibility before turning pro, especially teams that are rebuilding and don't need the immediate help, just send them back and continue to stockpile high picks, why potentially stunt their growth and start their service time when you're nowhere close to icing a competitive roster and yet it happens year after year in the nhl

Reactions: Sinbad

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
there definitely should be a change made but nhl teams need to be smarter about developing young players, outside the rare exceptions most of these guys should use the full extent of their junior eligibility before turning pro, especially teams that are rebuilding and don't need the immediate help, just send them back and continue to stockpile high picks, why potentially stunt their growth and start their service time when you're nowhere close to icing a competitive roster and yet it happens year after year in the nhl

They shouldnt be using the full extent of their junior eligibility. Because most of those players are too good for that league at 17. I'm not sure you realize what a joke it is for players with the talent to be drafted, to be playing against the guys in the CHL, at 18, 19, or 20 years old.. Stunting their growth is exactly what you're doing.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They shouldnt be using the full extent of their junior eligibility. Because most of those players are too good for that league at 17. I'm not sure you realize what a joke it is for players with the talent to be drafted, to be playing against the guys in the CHL, at 18, 19, or 20 years old.. Stunting their growth is exactly what you're doing.
Dach seemingly would’ve benefited on offense if he had his domination season in the WHL. It probably would’ve led to more creativity and confidence

Reactions: Sinbad

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dach seemingly would’ve benefited on offense if he had his domination season in the WHL. It probably would’ve led to more creativity and confidence

Nah. Shit that works in juniors just doesn't work in the pros. Guys are too fast, too strong, and too talented. Confidence.... maybe. Dach needed to play in Rockford and learn how to produce against professionals and men. Not against kids.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Only McDavid level players are too good for the CHL at 17. Most would get killed in the AHL. Yes a lot of them don't need to be there at 19 and 20. I don't know how much money CHL teams make. London Knights are a very successful franchise and the Hunters do very very well, I am sure. Others in smaller owns who knows. I think the NCAA is a much bigger scam. Using the joke of amateur status to make all their money off of the big names who get nothing.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Only McDavid level players are too good for the CHL at 17. Most would get killed in the AHL. Yes a lot of them don't need to be there at 19 and 20. I don't know how much money CHL teams make. London Knights are a very successful franchise and the Hunters do very very well, I am sure. Others in smaller owns who knows. I think the NCAA is a much bigger scam. Using the joke of amateur status to make all their money off of the big names who get nothing.

Yes, only the best player in the world is too good for the CHL at 17. Let's just ignore all the other very talented players that will play in a top 6 or top 4 D role, on all the teams in the NHL, that make the jump to the NHL at 18, because... wait for it... they're too good for the CHL. :laugh:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Okay, let's forget about the players we drafted for a second and use another example. In the shortened season that started in January, Seth Jarvis was leading the AHL in scoring. But once his Junior season started back up, he was forced to go back.
Tell me how that benefits him at all?!

When it comes to the players we did draft, obviously our management thought Dach was too good for Junior. So he HAD to play in the NHL. That hurt his growth. Should he have gone back to Junior? Yes. But if he had been able to play in the AHL for more than just his conditioning stint after the concussion, I fully believe we would have seen better development from him.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Okay, let's forget about the players we drafted for a second and use another example. In the shortened season that started in January, Seth Jarvis was leading the AHL in scoring. But once his Junior season started back up, he was forced to go back.
Tell me how that benefits him at all?!

When it comes to the players we did draft, obviously our management thought Dach was too good for Junior. So he HAD to play in the NHL. That hurt his growth. Should he have gone back to Junior? Yes. But if he had been able to play in the AHL for more than just his conditioning stint after the concussion, I fully believe we would have seen better development from him.
Nailed it.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
This does not apply to college hockey at all. Football and some basketball programs actually make money which is used to pay for the other programs.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Every time I come into this thread I get my hopes up that there will be some actual news about Korchinski, only to be left wanting. Might give it a couple months before I check again.
What news are you expecting? He's in the WHL this season. Nothing will change that.

At most, you might have people posting clips of his plays here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad