Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Reactions: BLKHKhockey

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Makar is such an other-worldly skater. The 360° explosiveness and elusiveness is the best in the league. Then he has the hands to keep up with his skating. He's not a name that should be casually thrown around. Tbf, his coach didn't directly compare him to Makar. He said there were some similar qualities. Which even that, I don't really see.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
What I noticed about Korchinski in prospect camp that I didn't know beforehand is he is a feisty f***. Kid was always getting into it after the whistle when guys were on his goalie. Definitely has some grit to his game. Absolutely love seeing that and love seeing the Hawks draft kids like that. Hard to play against and are not soft.

Hakoon

Oct 11, 2018
Unless this kid becomes Chelios or Keith he's going to always be compared to Debrincat. A defenseman prospect whose bad at defense. Classic Blackhawks.
I remember when Chelios came to the Hawks, his most noticeable attribute was his ability to put the puck on net from the point, Something other Hawk's defensemen were not doing. So there's that

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
What I noticed about Korchinski in prospect camp that I didn't know beforehand is he is a feisty f***. Kid was always getting into it after the whistle when guys were on his goalie. Definitely has some grit to his game. Absolutely love seeing that and love seeing the Hawks draft kids like that. Hard to play against and are not soft.

Such a breath of fresh air. I never understood why Stan and co was so allergic to that.

Reactions: brakeyawself

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We have enough bodies out the gate on the blue line to even worry about giving him a few games to start the year here.

It isn't even about rushing him it is about getting the most games in for a number of younger more NHL ready kids. I want Vlasic, Regula and Mitchell to get as much NHL time as they can so we can see what we have here.

Korchinski's time will come 23-24 but for camp I would rather see any and every opportunity go to that trio for the big club.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'm not against the idea of giving him a taste just to show him what the NHL looks like. Just show him he has to work hard.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Makar is such an other-worldly skater. The 360° explosiveness and elusiveness is the best in the league. Then he has the hands to keep up with his skating. He's not a name that should be casually thrown around. Tbf, his coach didn't directly compare him to Makar. He said there were some similar qualities. Which even that, I don't really see.
generational talent for the reasons you mentioned, the skating plus the hockey sense and the skill puts makar in a league of his own...we should keep the expectations to the shea theodore comp for korchinski, thats a great outcome given the needs of this team and what they're trying to accomplish with the tank

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Wishful thinking for sure though Korchinski does have the potential to be a solid NHL offensive-minded Dman. Hopefully, more than another Gus.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The major positive thing with pre season Korchinski is that he has shown he's the same player in juniors as he is in the NHL. (Savoie has shown this too)

That means both the strengths and weaknesses in his game have carried over to the next level.

The weaknesses carrying over just means he's not NHL ready, but the strengths carrying over is what separates a good prospect from a bust. The guys that can't translate their defining skills are the ones that struggle to make it.

What I said about Korchinski in my draft report was that he "Lacks a powerful shot from the point. Struggles at times to trap or contain oncoming attackers. Good at facilitating offense."

All those things have been true in pre season.

His shot needs work, he bleeds scoring chances against, but he's been really good at facilitating offense. That hail marry pass to Reichel was a great example, or really anytime he's held the blueline in the O zone.

So there's a lot for him to continue working on in Seattle (and later Rockford) but the good in his game has shone through and that's very promising.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Haven't you had enough of seeing Hawk prospects rushed? There is no reason to have him play any games in the NHL this season.

Come now, the only reason they aren't going to keep Korchinski is because this is the year Nicolas Beaudin breaks out and becomes the superstar he was destined to be......... lol..... just keep Korchinski away from the team this year while everything gets blown up. He doesn't need to be a part of that. His development clearly can use another year of course. All though I would not have minded seeing him in Rockford had that been possibility. But this is fine either way.

The only other D still available in that draft whom I like the upside of slightly more was Mintyukov, and mostly because I think he actually has the complete game potential to go along with an absolutely unreal offensive ceiling.. And I actually think Minty could end up being just as good offensively while actually being much better defensively than Korchinski, Mateychuk and Pickering even. Well, I guess we will see. But if nothing else, Korchinski should easily be the frontrunner for Hawks future PP stud and possession master. If he doesn't completely fall apart in his development of course.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Wishful thinking for sure though Korchinski does have the potential to be a solid NHL offensive-minded Dman. Hopefully, more than another Gus.

Think he's a good Boqvist replacement. Just really hope his complete game develops, otherwise, I still think there were more complete options on the board with just as high offensive potential when they drafted. Still a bit confused they took Korchinski so early with Matey and Minty still on the board and them having then 2nd pick. Luckily, they were still able to get Nazar there, who is the center I wanted them to take earlier, so that wasn't so bad. But they lucked out on that one. Nazar should have gone ahead of Geekie in my view.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The major positive thing with pre season Korchinski is that he has shown he's the same player in juniors as he is in the NHL. (Savoie has shown this too)

That means both the strengths and weaknesses in his game have carried over to the next level.

The weaknesses carrying over just means he's not NHL ready, but the strengths carrying over is what separates a good prospect from a bust. The guys that can't translate their defining skills are the ones that struggle to make it.

What I said about Korchinski in my draft report was that he "Lacks a powerful shot from the point. Struggles at times to trap or contain oncoming attackers. Good at facilitating offense."

All those things have been true in pre season.

His shot needs work, he bleeds scoring chances against, but he's been really good at facilitating offense. That hail marry pass to Reichel was a great example, or really anytime he's held the blueline in the O zone.

So there's a lot for him to continue working on in Seattle (and later Rockford) but the good in his game has shone through and that's very promising.

For someone who claims to watch a ton of prospects and junior hockey, you seem to be inexplicably detached from reality. There isn't much defense on display in juniors. Everyone "bleeds chances against". The exception is junior teams that are ridiculously stacked, that just completely out-talent the opposition.

Almost every single junior league on the planet is offense first. Run and gun, high scoring, risk taking hockey. The reasoning is pretty f***ing obvious to anyone paying attention. Guys don't get drafted for their defense. Guys especially don't get drafted in the 1st round for their defense. You want to hit the NHL, you better f***ing put up points.

I do think it's cute how you're already walking back your "KORCHINSKI WAS A TERRIBLE f***ING PICK" take, though.

Reactions: BondraTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad