Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

BuddyTheGoon

Oct 23, 2019
Chicago
The boy is 19 years old and playing top 4 on a trash team. What the actual f*** were you people calling him a ‘bust’ expecting?

I feel like the people saying this, had they been around in 2006 and 2007, would have been in the crowd calling Keith a bust and pushing for him to play forward. :laugh:

Chill and let the kid hit 200 games before you decide what he is or isnt.

That said, I would absolutely let him and Bedard go play in the World Juniors again, just so they can remind themselves what playing with talent in games that matter feels like.
You get it.

Reactions: Pez68

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
One infamous poster claimed Korchinski was a guaranteed bust because he watched his preseason games as a 19 year old. A couple months later, the Blackhawks are most likely NOT sending Korchinski to the Junior Championships ... as it appears he'll be blowing past the 40 game FA benchmark (ex injuries).

I didn't have an issue with posters who wanted Korchinski to develop another in juniors as there is no blueprint in developing a 19 year old defensemen. It's highly unpredictable. However, I'm even surprised at Korchinski's early performance ... so much so, he'll probably skip the Junior Championship.

Korchinski's current development is almost as HUGE as Bedard's meeting his ludicrous high expectations this year. IF Korchinski can be that #1 DMen, it makes Seth Jones a perfect #2 and contract easily digestible going forward. Seth Jones as the #2 is more than good enough. IF Korchinski keeps developing, it moves up the Blackhawks rebuilding timeline.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Boqvist, Jokiharju, Forsling, Beaudin, Mitchell, krys, dahlstrom, Clendening, Holl, Johns, Olsen

the Q/Stan graveyard
Q liked Joker, and Forsling quite a bit. The only 2 that have turned into competent NHL Dmen. You could argue JC ruined Boqvist. All the other Dmen were just shitty picks by Stan.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Johns was also solid 4 maybe turning the corner to something more until his chronic head issues. BUT, stan/Kelley after their 1st draft or 2 were all about the small skill 1st defenders who If they can't skate great, they can't do anything in the nhl

Even Jokiharju has never really progressed and now back to a 3rd pair icetime guy in Buffalo

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Q also hated Kempny who went on to play a decent role in the Caps cup the following year. Also hated Daley and he went on to play a big part of two Penguins playoff runs. One being a cup win...

I still believe Korchinski would be best served playing this year in the AHL, but we all know he can't so NHL it is. He has some really bad plays but also has definitely improved when I look at his first 10 games to his second 10 games so that is all that matters.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Johns was also solid 4 maybe turning the corner to something more until his chronic head issues. BUT, stan/Kelley after their 1st draft or 2 were all about the small skill 1st defenders who If they can't skate great, they can't do anything in the nhl

Even Jokiharju has never really progressed and now back to a 3rd pair icetime guy in Buffalo
That Sharp trade was the beginning of the end for Bowman’s tenure as a good GM. Terrible trade, should’ve traded him for a draft pick instead of trying to get NHL talent back.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Q also hated Kempny who went on to play a decent role in the Caps cup the following year. Also hated Daley and he went on to play a big part of two Penguins playoff runs. One being a cup win...

I still believe Korchinski would be best served playing this year in the AHL, but we all know he can't so NHL it is. He has some really bad plays but also has definitely improved when I look at his first 10 games to his second 10 games so that is all that matters.
Agreed...

I will add- KK is younger and still has lots of time to grow... I just don't trust his Instincts--seem off

I know Kaiser/Vlasic are both older... But also- seem to have better Instincts in general ( then again- maybe their Instincts-- are really "Learned Experiences") --we shall see

Also like Phillips so far and Rinzel looks like --might be the best of all

Reactions: who_me?

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Great article from Ben Pope on Korchinski.

Great piece and super happy with Korch of course, love to see it.

But just a side note, even this nice article, somehow our non athletic beat writers always just end the article out of the blue no? Like no conclusion, no last words, it's just.. randomly over lol.

Not complaining, just funny to see it so consistently.

Reactions: hockeydoug

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Agreed...

I will add- KK is younger and still has lots of time to grow... I just don't trust his Instincts--seem off

I know Kaiser/Vlasic are both older... But also- seem to have better Instincts in general ( then again- maybe their Instincts-- are really "Learned Experiences") --we shall see

Also like Phillips so far and Rinzel looks like --might be the best of all

There is nothing wrong with his instincts. He puts great instincts on display in just about every game with his decision-making on when to get involved offensively, when to carry the puck up the ice, when to jump into the play, etc. Instincts are not a concern...

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Based on what I've watched so far.

Areas to still improve

1. More urgency in some puck retrieval situations. Don't take time and space for granted.
2. Trust himself a bit more on the entries. He can definitely one man breakout but he seems to want to ditch the puck as fast as possible when he enters. Would love to see him wheel the zone a bit or even dump and get it himself. I'm sure this will come as he comes to trust himself a bit more.
3. 1 on 1 defending could definitely use some work. He did a great job on Matthews a couple times in Toronto but has struggled in other plays.
4. Has a tendency to just throw the puck up the wall without support.
5. Overall just being a bit more assertive physically. I don't expect him to ever run through people, but just being a bit more firm on his stick and skates. A lot of the times they are one handed whacks or soft plays on rolling pucks. Even on that one vs the Blues. He just overskated it. Just be a bit more physically assertive.

Things I have seen a big improvement on

1. Defending his own blue line has improved immensely. Stopped quite a few rushes in their tracks in Toronto.
2. Seems to be gaining confidence offensively, holding onto the puck a bit more in the O-zone than the first few games.
3. Better judgement overall on what plays to make. Up the wall/ chip to a teammate, when to breakout behind the net on his own, when to pass.
4. General stick position/stick defense.

Looking forward to watching him the rest of the way leading up to the All Star Break.

benpopecst

Nov 27, 2023
Great piece and super happy with Korch of course, love to see it.

But just a side note, even this nice article, somehow our non athletic beat writers always just end the article out of the blue no? Like no conclusion, no last words, it's just.. randomly over lol.

Not complaining, just funny to see it so consistently.
This thread was showing up as a traffic source in our analytics so I came to look at the discussion - glad you guys enjoyed the story.

In regards to the frequently abrupt endings, that's probably a fair point / accurate observation, but it stems from word-count limits. Based on whether the story has been budgeted 1, 1.5 or 2 pages in our print edition, it has a hard word limit of 650, 900 or 1200 words, and I want to use every single one of those words on something substantive rather than a pleasing but repetitive conclusion. The Athletic guys don't have word-count limits so they can afford to tie things up more.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This thread was showing up as a traffic source in our analytics so I came to look at the discussion - glad you guys enjoyed the story.

In regards to the frequently abrupt endings, that's probably a fair point / accurate observation, but it stems from word-count limits. Based on whether the story has been budgeted 1, 1.5 or 2 pages in our print edition, it has a hard word limit of 650, 900 or 1200 words, and I want to use every single one of those words on something substantive rather than a pleasing but repetitive conclusion. The Athletic guys don't have word-count limits so they can afford to tie things up more.
Welcome aboard HF Ben.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
There is nothing wrong with his instincts. He puts great instincts on display in just about every game with his decision-making on when to get involved offensively, when to carry the puck up the ice, when to jump into the play, etc. Instincts are not a concern...
Regarding Instincts-- I was mostly speaking to his D side,, and furthermore,, behind and in front of the net,,, I recall a couple of Games ago-- he literally skated from Behind Left Goal area-- to chase a Puck thrown up the Right boards ???

First of all-- too far...2nd Murphy was on front right around lower part of circle

Why in the Hell would he chase that puck thrown up right boards ...toward Blue line

2ndly-- the route was awful... literally skated up boards from behind Left net--to right

Lastly-- no one left in front of/or left side of goal...

I will let you guess where the goals was scored from seconds later...

If That IS the route/position coaches have taught KK to take... We need new coaches/system!

Reactions: who_me?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Side note.. are you like 6’5.. looking massive in the interview photos I see. You shoot right by any chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad