Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This thread was showing up as a traffic source in our analytics so I came to look at the discussion - glad you guys enjoyed the story.

In regards to the frequently abrupt endings, that's probably a fair point / accurate observation, but it stems from word-count limits. Based on whether the story has been budgeted 1, 1.5 or 2 pages in our print edition, it has a hard word limit of 650, 900 or 1200 words, and I want to use every single one of those words on something substantive rather than a pleasing but repetitive conclusion. The Athletic guys don't have word-count limits so they can afford to tie things up more.
Welcome man! Congrats on having such a cool job :yo:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Regarding Instincts-- I was mostly speaking to his D side,, and furthermore,, behind and in front of the net,,, I recall a couple of Games ago-- he literally skated from Behind Left Goal area-- to chase a Puck thrown up the Right boards ???

First of all-- too far...2nd Murphy was on front right around lower part of circle

Why in the Hell would he chase that puck thrown up right boards ...toward Blue line

2ndly-- the route was awful... literally skated up boards from behind Left net--to right

Lastly-- no one left in front of/or left side of goal...

I will let you guess where the goals was scored from seconds later...

If That IS the route/position coaches have taught KK to take... We need new coaches/system!
Defense is going the be the last part of his game that develops. The last line of defense (ex goalies) in most team sports (i.e. centre backs in soccer, safeties in football, DMen in hockey, rim protectors in basketball) takes a long time to develop. Some people confuse instinct with experience. Those positions take a lot of experience to develop/perfect.

It's also the reason "centre backs, safeties, DMen, and rim protectors" peak later than other positions. It takes experience and also the reason they have a far longer career than other positions. Teams value that experience.

Does KK have that innate instinct on defense? It's impossible to say for a 19 year old just playing his first NHL games. We won't know for at least another 2-3 years. Experience is a huge factor last line of defense positions. It's not always about instinct.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Based on what I've watched so far.

Areas to still improve

1. More urgency in some puck retrieval situations. Don't take time and space for granted.
2. Trust himself a bit more on the entries. He can definitely one man breakout but he seems to want to ditch the puck as fast as possible when he enters. Would love to see him wheel the zone a bit or even dump and get it himself. I'm sure this will come as he comes to trust himself a bit more.
3. 1 on 1 defending could definitely use some work. He did a great job on Matthews a couple times in Toronto but has struggled in other plays.
4. Has a tendency to just throw the puck up the wall without support.
5. Overall just being a bit more assertive physically. I don't expect him to ever run through people, but just being a bit more firm on his stick and skates. A lot of the times they are one handed whacks or soft plays on rolling pucks. Even on that one vs the Blues. He just overskated it. Just be a bit more physically assertive.

Things I have seen a big improvement on

1. Defending his own blue line has improved immensely. Stopped quite a few rushes in their tracks in Toronto.
2. Seems to be gaining confidence offensively, holding onto the puck a bit more in the O-zone than the first few games.
3. Better judgement overall on what plays to make. Up the wall/ chip to a teammate, when to breakout behind the net on his own, when to pass.
4. General stick position/stick defense.

Looking forward to watching him the rest of the way leading up to the All Star Break.
What's your projection for what he becomes in his prime?

Defense is going the be the last part of his game that develops. The last line of defense (ex goalies) in most team sports (i.e. centre backs in soccer, safeties in football, DMen in hockey, rim protectors in basketball) takes a long time to develop. Some people confuse instinct with experience. Those positions take a lot of experience to develop/perfect.

It's also the reason "centre backs, safeties, DMen, and rim protectors" peak later than other positions. It takes experience and also the reason they have a far longer career than other positions. Teams value that experience.

Does KK have that innate instinct on defense? It's impossible to say for a 19 year old just playing his first NHL games. We won't know for at least another 2-3 years. Experience is a huge factor last line of defense positions. It's not always about instinct.
I see what you mean, but you can definitely start to project defensive tools once they're drafted.

Take Bouchard vs Dobson for example. Everyone knew Bouchard was a disaster at the time in his own zone and that has not changed one bit. Dobson's been reliable since the moment he stepped into the NHL, it just took time for his offense and puck moving abilities to really come around

Reactions: Muffinalt

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I think Keith Yandle would be a good comp for his ceiling.

Maybe justin schultz as a basement. I think KK will be better defensively than Schultz but if we're talking basement that seems about right.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Schultz couldn't skate like KK, even with his eyes closed in bed. Neither could Yands.

I actually think the Shea Theodore comp is pretty decent, Theodore has a much better shot though, atleast that is easier to develop.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Schultz couldn't skate like KK, even with his eyes closed in bed. Neither could Yands.

I actually think the Shea Theodore comp is pretty decent, Theodore has a much better shot though, atleast that is easier to develop.
Yeah KK is a much better skater, just thinking production/style wise.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
This thread was showing up as a traffic source in our analytics so I came to look at the discussion - glad you guys enjoyed the story.

In regards to the frequently abrupt endings, that's probably a fair point / accurate observation, but it stems from word-count limits. Based on whether the story has been budgeted 1, 1.5 or 2 pages in our print edition, it has a hard word limit of 650, 900 or 1200 words, and I want to use every single one of those words on something substantive rather than a pleasing but repetitive conclusion. The Athletic guys don't have word-count limits so they can afford to tie things up more.

Oh I see, totally makes sense then! And glad for that of course, I'd happily choose substance each and every time over some cliches.

Thanks for taking the time to explain and well done on the coverage! Hope you look back here every now and then, great discussions to be found (mostly) :)

Reactions: benpopecst

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I’ve been saying Jay housemaster for a year! I see it 100% same body type, skating. Hopefully a bit mire offense?

Btw terrible game tonight for him lol
J-Bo is one of those guys (like a dollar store Pronger) who we remember the 2nd half of the career stud, but don't remember the growing pains as much.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How has be been for you guys this season?... I see he's been getting a ton of ice time and alot of PP time.

I would imagine he won't put up a ton of points this season and most likely have a pretty significant "minus" total just cause the team is going to have a rough season, BUT do you guys see him eventually putting up a ton of points and be the main QB on the PP for many years?

I watched him alot while he was in Seattle and really liked his offensive game.. but I haven't been able to see too many Hawks games this season so far. I am really hoping for a dynamic duo of Bedard and Korch on the PP for the next decade

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
How has be been for you guys this season?... I see he's been getting a ton of ice time and alot of PP time.

I would imagine he won't put up a ton of points this season and most likely have a pretty significant "minus" total just cause the team is going to have a rough season, BUT do you guys see him eventually putting up a ton of points and be the main QB on the PP for many years?

I watched him alot while he was in Seattle and really liked his offensive game.. but I haven't been able to see too many Hawks games this season so far. I am really hoping for a dynamic duo of Bedard and Korch on the PP for the next decade
started out really nice. But lately he's been pretty terrible, but it's fine. He's super young and all those mistakes are leading us right to Celebrini.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
started out really nice. But lately he's been pretty terrible, but it's fine. He's super young and all those mistakes are leading us right to Celebrini.

I am a big fan of Korchinski but I have to say I was VERY surprised he made the Hawks this season. I know he looked real good early in the season but I kinda figured he would struggle eventually. Hopefully he gets rolling again soon

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well with $9.5 posting -37 and -38 seasons as a 27 yrvokd and 28 year old with the Blackhawks prior to this his 3rd season here,we were allquestionibg his instincts for defending ...

Sure it is posdonle Kk learns defending like Keith did(he was horrible when he first turned pro but hexwas older than KkK ...so if ever it possibly takes Kk till hevis 23-23 before he "gets it" (tge defensive corrections needed to not harm the team defensively..but he might never learn...some guys just never "get it"...

KK may even need 1 or 2 seasons in Rockford to work out his kinks in defending...It is where he shoukd have been except forctge rule that you have to be over 20 if your are from North American juniors before they let you play in the AJL..SO he had to learn on the job in the NHL at tge highest level ...which is tough..

IF he can overcome his defensive mistakes AND get mire physical using his body...then we hopefully see...But let us be realistic...the eye test says his defensive instincts are not there now..Will they ever be there? No guarantees..

On tgevitger hand we have seen the excellence of Alex Vkasic in helping rgecteam defensively..Hevisvprojectobg to +33 on a horrible defensive team...He has helped $9.5 reduce his plus /minus to the pint he now projects to ONLY -14 for the season...If the pair gets even better then we could see Vkasic in the plus+40s or even getting near +50 and $9.5 an actual positive !

Tge eyectest shows why Vkasic is so goid defensively...nobody is perfect..he can also make mistakes...but he stymies so many attacks..he guards the net front well and I think it can get better with more NHK experience...He finishes checks on the boards...he gets to loose pucks..and he clears better than any dmNwe have.You can see all of this if you look at his pkay.

He has covered a lot for $9.5 to bail out the Hawks..Hevis turning into a defensive stalwart on a terrible defensive team.
He still mustvimprove on thecshort-handed pk situations but as we see hevhas goidxdefensive instincts so I think hecwill learn...and if the Hawks can find a better defensive PK RD than we have now then If Vlsdic paired with tgat guy we shoukd vhave at least 1 rock solid PK D pair..

At this stage Kj shoukd NOT be on anybPK d pairing.. Tinordi either...And Murphy is disaster on the right side.. $9.5 is meh on the pk..But Kk learning on the job in the NJL is painful to watch in the d-zo e.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad