Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Be nice to see him play in the world Jr's .
We already that... oh thought this was the Bedard thread.

I don't think a short tourney is that key for development. While I did want him to go back to the WHL to dominate on the PP and be more aggressive there.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Agreed...

I will add- KK is younger and still has lots of time to grow... I just don't trust his Instincts--seem off

I know Kaiser/Vlasic are both older... But also- seem to have better Instincts in general ( then again- maybe their Instincts-- are really "Learned Experiences") --we shall see

Also like Phillips so far and Rinzel looks like --might be the best of all
I am a guy who wanted KK to go back to juniors. The beginning of the season confirmed it for me because while he was good WITH the puck he was not just bad but very bad defensively.
I’ve since been impressed. His coverage still isn’t good but he is improving regularly.

I know it’s popular here to talk about how much Jones and Murphy suck but I felt they did a good job of trying to cover for the mistake prone kids they were paired with. All in all the D is coming along nicely. Those guys aren’t young though. The team needs RHD to be in there prime when the (hopefully) offense and Commesso or Gajan are.

Reactions: Blackhawksfirecoach

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Just horrible news. Kevin’s father passed away. Far too young, hopefully Kevin takes as much time as he needs away from the team.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017

Just horrible news. Kevin’s father passed away. Far too young, hopefully Kevin takes as much time as he needs away from the team.

Awful, awful news.

I can't even begin to imagine how hard that must be on Kevin. Just an absolute sin.

RIP to his father and may God bless he and his family.

🙏☝️💔

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
That is absolutely awful news. RIP to Larry and condolences to Kevin, his mother and the rest of the family. Just awful news. I feel for Kevin. 19 years old and loses his father 1st NHL season. Also fathers trip is gonna be hard for him next season. I'm happy his father got to see him drafted though.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
The team, or at least the majority of the team, went to the funeral yesterday. Would post some twitter links with Murphy and Foligno talking about it (apparently Nick lost his mother at 21, so he's been through something similar), but Twitter embeds are shit today.

Richardson says they'll give Korchinski the time he needs before having him return.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
(apparently Nick lost his mother at 21, so he's been through something similar)
I remember this because his brother Marcus played for Canada at the World Juniors (Nick plays for USA internationally) as a way to honor their late mother (who was Canadian, both Nick and Marcus were born in the United States)

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Great article by our guy @benpopecst here. Continuing to send all my prayers to Kevin and his family.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017

Would like to see some of this from Korchinski. I find a lot of times he gets hemmed in the zone is when he takes too long to get rid of the puck after retrievals and ends up turning it over.
Obviously can't do it too consistently or they're gonna see it coming and jump on it but he needs more tricks in his bag.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Korchinski could definitely improve his urgency on retrievals. I agree with you there. He does this weird like slow choppy pivot thing that just takes extra time for no reason.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I am a guy who wanted KK to go back to juniors. The beginning of the season confirmed it for me because while he was good WITH the puck he was not just bad but very bad defensively.
I’ve since been impressed. His coverage still isn’t good but he is improving regularly.

I know it’s popular here to talk about how much Jones and Murphy suck but I felt they did a good job of trying to cover for the mistake prone kids they were paired with. All in all the D is coming along nicely. Those guys aren’t young though. The team needs RHD to be in there prime when the (hopefully) offense and Commesso or Gajan are.
Brent Seabrook took on the same roll(Keith as well) their last few seasons…

Reactions: Space umpire

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Based on what I saw last season in Seattle, I am pretty impressed with how he has played defensively on this awful roster at 19. There are some things I don't like but that is to be expected.

I am concerned about how playing this season at 19 and trying to survive will affect his offense. He was WAY more dynamic and confident in the WHL last year. Now some of that is to be expected against better players, but I don't think its the lack of ability, more a lack of confidence/coaching him to be safer. Don't want the offensively ability, which should be his calling card, to be coached out of him.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Based on what I saw last season in Seattle, I am pretty impressed with how he has played defensively on this awful roster at 19. There are some things I don't like but that is to be expected.

I am concerned about how playing this season at 19 and trying to survive will affect his offense. He was WAY more dynamic and confident in the WHL last year. Now some of that is to be expected against better players, but I don't think its the lack of ability, more a lack of confidence/coaching him to be safer. Don't want the offensively ability, which should be his calling card, to be coached out of him.

I think we're all in agreement that KK should be in the AHL but the OHL/NHL transfer rules are horrible.

I fully expect Korchinski to be sent down once he turns 20, for his own good.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think we're all in agreement that KK should be in the AHL but the OHL/NHL transfer rules are horrible.

I don't think there is a ton of historical precedence for keeping a guy up for his D+2 but sending him down for his whole D+3. Maybe they do it, but I doubt it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I disagree

KK while raw and making mistakes kids make has for most part held his own and looked the part of NHL defender out there

I see no reason for him not to be playing and gaining experience at NHL level

He earned job in camp and has done nothing to warrant being sent down IMO

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I also feel like he has been getting better, for the most part, as the season has gone on. I don't really see the argument that he should be anywhere but the NHL right now given how he has progressed. He also does lead the d-corps (not saying much I know) in goals and is one point behind Vlasic for assists. I definitely think the focus coming from the coaching staff this season has been defence, and for good reason, but its not like he is lagging behind offensively either.

belfour30

Blackhawks Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I also feel like he has been getting better, for the most part, as the season has gone on. I don't really see the argument that he should be anywhere but the NHL right now given how he has progressed. He also does lead the d-corps (not saying much I know) in goals and is one point behind Vlasic for assists. I definitely think the focus coming from the coaching staff this season has been defence, and for good reason, but its not like he is lagging behind offensively either.
He has like 12 points.
That's what you're expecting from Nolan Allan, not Korchinski.

I realize the Hawks forward group is pretty terrible, but for someone who is touted as an offensive defenseman, you kinda expect more.

I agree with those that think he is sacrificing his offensive game to be passable in his own zone.

Either that, or he's one of those junior players whose offense doesn't translate to better competition.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He has like 12 points.

I realize the Hawks forward group is pretty terrible, but for someone who is touted as an offensive defenseman, you kinda expect more.
Did you miss the "not saying much I know" part of my post?

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie

What can he learn in Seattle that he cannot learn in Chicago? So no, I do not agree that Korchinski should be in Seattle.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
He has like 12 points.

I agree with those that think he is sacrificing his offensive game to be passable in his own zone.

Either that, or he's one of those junior players whose offense doesn't translate to better competition.
I don’t know how many times this needs to be explained, but when the forwards can’t score, the defensemen don’t put up points. The only way he’d put up a half decent amount is if he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, which the coaches clearly don’t want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad