Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
KK's defensive play is not the issue for this team in the sense that he alone is tge cause of all their defensive problems...

However..the issue with him is that as a 19 year old he may get overlord psychologically with alk this losi g and ending up projected to be a 2 times worse than $9.5's historically horrible-38 and-37 seasons..You cannot go -70s sonethibg and survive tge mental brutality of that number...especially when still only 19 years old..

As to tge Duncan Keith had a rough start in learning his position when he got to the NHL with the Hawks,the fact is=NOT the same situation..

Keith never saw tge NHL for 3 seasons Fter his draft ..thisvincluded 2 seasons in the AHL
...so hex as both mich older and had 2xyearscofxAHL experience beforecheceveb gotten chance to play in the NHL..

I am just worried aboutc ruining KKtrying to force feed learning on the jobat the NHL level whoch will result in a very ugly plus/minus and that this might well ruin his confidence and mental ability to handle this weight of inability to suppress copious opposition scoring agaibst us..

Reactions: who_me?

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Good lord really? Like he hasn’t even been that bad and he’s played like a few games EVER as a rookie kid. And ur all “oh no what if he never ever learns or develops” already???

He’s so much better than Boqvist it’s not even funny. Boqvist never showed anything close to what he already has in just a fraction of the time.
I wouldn't go that far but Korchinski's skating gives him a much higher floor than Boqvist.

Reactions: Pez68

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
What was the famous line to describe Keith again? Crazy headless chicken or something like that.

KK will figure it out.
Chihuahua on skates.

I wouldn't go that far but Korchinski's skating gives him a much higher floor than Boqvist.
I would. Boqvist never showed anywhere close to the talent and poise that KK is showing at 19 in the NHL.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
KK is already better than Boqvist ever was in my opinion.

He still needs to add some more weight and his own zone is a bit of a lottery right now, but I am high on him obviously.

And you only learn to defend against the most talented players in the world by....playing against the most talented players in the world. Defending in juniors is more about willingness than ability and execution. The reality is, there's not much defense being played in juniors, because most guys are trying to maximize their point totals to get on the professional radar. This argument is silly. It would be totally different if we were talking about the AHL, but we are not. The talent difference between junior A and even the ECHL is enormous.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
If a player needs to develop his defensive game, I think it makes sense to play against the best competition.

If a player needs to develop his offensive game, I think there's more of an argument to play down.

With that said I'd lean towards keeping KK up, but that could obviously change as the season progresses.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If a player needs to develop his defensive game, I think it makes sense to play against the best competition.

If a player needs to develop his offensive game, I think there's more of an argument to play down.

With that said I'd lean towards keeping KK up, but that could obviously change as the season progresses.

Even for the offensive game, you don't want to develop where you have more time and space. Because when you get back to the NHL, you're not going to have that, and still have to learn how to make plays at a quicker pace, with less time, and less space. If you're good enough, you need to develop in the league you're going to be in.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
As much as I believe Korchinski should stay up (especially past 10 games, you can argue the 39 later) Keith should not be a comparable as far as readiness. Keith played 154 games in the AHL and was 22 when he came up. And Keith still wasn't good until he was. Everybody's development is different. There's no perfect formula to develop a defenseman. For the ones arguing he is being rushed like Boqvist, Korchinski looks miles better than Boqvist when he came up. And Korchinski played on the top pair for his junior team before this, something Boqvist didn't do (he was on the second pair, cuz Bouchard man'd the top pairing on that right side)

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
The caveat with KK's defensive lapses is that he isn't overmatched on every shift, he makes some pretty nice plays out there on some shifts, especially in transition, and then has a blown coverage or gets walked or outmuscled on others. He can skate and make plays at NHL speed pretty comfortably, his issue is experience with making the right reads without the puck at that speed. He has a whole lot to work on but to me that's a guy who can learn at this level. He can also take some concepts back to the W and work on them at lower speeds, that may be fine too, but the point is he doesn't look so much overwhelmed as inexperienced.

Boqvist was not big, fast, or strong enough to learn at the NHL level, he was terrified out there and frankly was in danger every time he went to retrieve a dump in so I don't really blame him.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Even for the offensive game, you don't want to develop where you have more time and space. Because when you get back to the NHL, you're not going to have that, and still have to learn how to make plays at a quicker pace, with less time, and less space. If you're good enough, you need to develop in the league you're going to be in.
I don't disagree.

I think guys need the pucks on their sticks to develop offensive games. Some guys may figure out how to do that at the top level right away. Some can't and need a little confidence boost until they can make the jump. Have to think a player's confidence level pays a huge part. Player development can be tricky that's for sure.

None of this applies to KK obviously. His offensive game isn't a problem.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
My point opposed to that is if you want to be doing things with less space and time... don't you think he should of been doing them with the space and time? He never dominated as much as one would want on a PP or offensive zone. Is he really going to grow that without having done so before?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My point opposed to that is if you want to be doing things with less space and time... don't you think he should of been doing them with the space and time? He never dominated as much as one would want on a PP or offensive zone. Is he really going to grow that without having done so before?
Just from stat watching - he put up a boatload of points last year. Did he do that somehow without dominating on the PP or in the offensive zone?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Just from stat watching - he put up a boatload of points last year. Did he do that somehow without dominating on the PP or in the offensive zone?
He still was at times too much a facilitator. He didn't take command. And alot of that was his team was great at forwards. This season they're not as much.

He could take control and really run the powerplay this year and drive to get better shots off and grow. I don't care to Boqvist comparisons, he is well better off, but it bothered me rushing Boqvist too especially because he didn't man the point in London. Bouchard and Boqvist played PP together. Boqvist had tons of PP goals, but mostly from the face-off circle area, he played the winger role. If they expect him to be the point guy at the NHL, he should of stayed and done that his next year in the OHL or at least a lot in the AHL.

I just hope Korch doesn't become stunted and not a thriving offensive gem. I'm no development expert but that's just a view I have of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't necessarily agree with the notion that a 19 year old defenseman can't learn anything in the WHL because he wasn't really like a dominant defensive player in the WHL last year. He displayed his offensive talents but he still had similar defensive lapses in the WHL that he has in the NHL.

Sergachev was a similar CHL defenseman who played 9 games in his draft year +1 and then went back to the OHL and then became a great defenseman. Development obviously isn't linear. I can understand the argument that he needs to learn at the NHL level.

I just think there are negatives to developing in the NHL if you aren't 100% ready. I've said it before but playing to survive shifts can cause issues. I don't see that currently. But if he doesn't really show improvement defensively after 35 games or so I could see re-evaluating again.

Totally fine with people disagreeing. Its my own two cents afterall.

Reactions: d rake

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
What was the famous line to describe Keith again? Crazy headless chicken or something like that.

KK will figure it out.
The original was 'headless chicken on skates', but that got deleted by a mod; hence 'chihuahua on skates'.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Very few defensemen play in the nhl as teenagers. It’s unfortunate this transfer agreement screws over guys like Korchinski that really should be in the AHL.

NHL or WHL, seems decision is NHL. I just hope the -50 he will have by seasons end doesn’t mess up his confidence. He may be in the running for worst defensive defenseman in the NHL which is not too unexpected given his age and profile. Hopefully he can draw on the positives and improve on the negatives even while he has to keep eating goals against in the meantime.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Very few defensemen play in the nhl as teenagers. It’s unfortunate this transfer agreement screws over guys like Korchinski that really should be in the AHL.

NHL or WHL, seems decision is NHL. I just hope the -50 he will have by seasons end doesn’t mess up his confidence. He may be in the running for worst defensive defenseman in the NHL which is not too unexpected given his age and profile. Hopefully he can draw on the positives and improve on the negatives even while he has to keep eating goals against in the meantime.
He’ll never win that award as long as we have Murphy and Tinordi on the team, who have both been noticeably worse. And don’t get me started on the forwards, who are putting the defense as a whole in terrible spots.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
My main point on this issue of staying alk season vs going back to junior is that right now Kk projects to 0g 27and -73 for 82Gp..
He probably will get a few goals and so let us consider even a 35 point season...BUT if he cannot slow tgat trajectory to a whopping -73,you wonder if this becomes mentally tortuous for him at sone point along the way...it could ruin him contemplating just how non-nhl level is his contribution..leading to sdlf-dount and depression...anyone whether vet or 19 year old teenager would be depressed if tgeir contribution was -73and WE the fans woukd demand the team not subject him to this level of futile defending.

Hey we cNnot even believe it the last 2 seasons prior to this one that $9.5 would be as useless as "just" -37 or-8
..what should we do with -73?
Let KK agonize about mouth g historically bad defensive effectiveness at evens?

Yes...not his Fault aline for tgeze badxstat projections ..but should we subject his metal stTe to these mounting historical levels of ineffective defensive stats lines?
For his own sanity we must stop the torture...It could ruin his development going forward .

If he were onany other NHL team would you put aout a projected -73 on who was just 19?

I do not think any other NHL team would risk playing out to -73 with their 19 year-old ....

Akso the worst season Zautsev ever had was a -22 in 82 GP in his rookie NHL season...H xalso had a 2nd worst season of -13 in 55GP and that aporox. Projects to a -19 for82GP

The est of his NHL seasons were either just single digit negatives or some actual positive plus/minus seasons..

So I doubt even as bad as Zaitsev is that he would be anywhere close to the -73 that Kk is projecting to ...

Again what NHL team in its right mind would play a struggling 19 year old rookie Dman (in terms of +/- ) projecting to a whopping -73?

It just would not hapoen..No teancan sustain

I am tgat and tge vets would auit playing to compete if they had to tolerate that..

So...whike it certainly is not all Kk's fault he is projecting so badly in this stat,I just do not think for hosxsalexor the vet's on the team's sLe ,that playing him if this projection tre d does not change for the better is bad both KK and this team.
Yes.. still a small sample size and maybe KK corrects thus ugly trend over time.....
season...but if he does not soon do better then youcannot let this go on..

-73 is not -22 nor even -38 or. -37 that $9.5 has treated usto over lsst 3 seasons.. we cannotcalliw any player to post anywhere near that deeply ugly a number for +/-...

Tleash=10 mire games? If by theK LK's trend is not drastically better,then they gotta send hpm back.

Last edited:

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
KK is already better than Boqvist ever was in my opinion.

He still needs to add some more weight and his own zone is a bit of a lottery right now, but I am high on him obviously.
He's better as a 19 year old than Boqvist is RIGHT NOW. Boqvist never ever did a single thing that made me say "I see why this guy was a top 10 pick" KK has a lot of things he needs to work on but at least once a game I'm like "wow what a play."

There was a play the other day where he made a pass that jumped over a teammates stick. KK turned around and skated past both the teammate and the forechecking opponent to retrieve the loose puck to stop an odd-man rush. It's not going to show up on any stat sheet or highlight reel but like damn.

His vision/passing and skating are already elite. At the start of the year I thought he was 100% not ready and would be 10 games up and then sent down but he's more than earned his spot. KK & Vlasic have been arguably our 2 best dman this year so far.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He’ll never win that award as long as we have Murphy and Tinordi on the team, who have both been noticeably worse. And don’t get me started on the forwards, who are putting the defense as a whole in terrible spots.
The criticism of Tinordi is disproportionate to his level of play, IMO. He's a bottom (5th - 7th) Dman who keeps ops honest with his physicality. It is why Luke likes him. Murph on the other hand......

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Ad

Ad

Ad