Prospect Info: Kevin Korchinski, 7th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I liked what I saw, but I feel that sending him down after 9 is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, he fits in the NHL, but he likely develops better by playing in the WHL.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Korch isn't going back this season. I just can't see them doing it with how much he will learn/adjust at the NHL level.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I see this mentioned quite a lot. Why would develop better there against lesser competition if he is capable playing in the NHL?
It's very common for rookies to have a great 9 games and then thrown into the lineup for the remainder of the season. The downside is that it can be really easy for a rookie to lose his confidence and start getting into his own head. If he continues to struggle, it will be very hard to find the success and scoring touch he had in juniors. Also note that he isn't on the top pp unit. That's Seth Jones spot. If he gets put down to juniors, he will have loads of ice-time and opportunities to gain a dominate role as a defender.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It's very common for rookies to have a great 9 games and then thrown into the lineup for the remainder of the season. The downside is that it can be really easy for a rookie to lose his confidence and start getting into his own head. If he continues to struggle, it will be very hard to find the success and scoring touch he had in juniors. Also note that he isn't on the top pp unit. That's Seth Jones spot. If he gets put down to juniors, he will have loads of ice-time and opportunities to gain a dominate role as a defender.
On top of all this, Korchinski is really young for an NHL defenseman. The kid just turned 19 and was just shy of being in the same draft class as Bedard. Might be better to see him dominate his own age group. He had a good season last year, but not as dominant as his points might suggest

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

They aren't Similar players, But Guenther started off really strong with the Coyotes, but started to tail off in the second half of the season...so they sent him down to us after 39 games.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I see this mentioned quite a lot. Why would develop better there against lesser competition if he is capable playing in the NHL?
He wouldn't. :laugh:

This idea that he would develop better by going back down to juniors and dominating in juniors, versus developing in the NHL, versus the rest of the best in the world, when he's shown he's fully capable of that, is nonsene.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

That's why KD has repeatedly said the 9-game thing isn't a consideration for whether or not he stays or get's sent back - if his play shows he's overwhelmed he will be sent back whether it's after Game-6 or Game-26.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
there is no rule when you send him down. you burn a year or his ELC at 10 games and KD does not use that as a determination. he had reichel burn a year and only played 11 games. he did it on purpose. KD is doing things with a new way of thinking. IE he had 11 games 2021-22 23 games 22-23 and lets call it 80 this year? he is next 2 year deal will be lower with only 1 really full year. IE 2-3 years at $3mil depending. if he plays 9, 23, 80 and 80 his next deal might be 3 X $5.5

Reactions: Muffinalt

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I liked what I saw, but I feel that sending him down after 9 is the right thing to do. Don't get me wrong, he fits in the NHL, but he likely develops better by playing in the WHL.
I get what you're saying in some cases - but KK is going to be playing 20+ minutes per night and be getting PP2 time. We're not talking about a skilled forward who is being buried on the 4th line playing with plugs.

Like it was mentioned earlier - I wasn't impressed by the "structure" that Seattle plays with, so it's not like he's in a "pro-environment". If he continues to look as good as he did last night - no way he gets sent down IMO.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bedard specifically said how good it was to have Korchinski with him going through the same things as a newbie, this alone is enough for me to see him stay. Stop over analyzing every single little thing that supposedly slightly helps down the road, this kid has earned being here and sending him down sends the wrong message not only to him but to other young players. If your play warrants you stay with the big team then you stay. He is showing he should be playing here against the big boys.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Bedard specifically said how good it was to have Korchinski with him going through the same things as a newbie, this alone is enough for me to see him stay. Stop over analyzing every single little thing that supposedly slightly helps down the road, this kid has earned being here and sending him down sends the wrong message not only to him but to other young players. If your play warrants you stay with the big team then you stay. He is showing he should be playing here against the big boys.
100% agree with this. With how KK looked last night - how do you sell to the players on the current team that the Hawks are off better with anyone else in that spot when the options are essentially other rookies? You're icing a team, and while not a good team yet, you want them all to bust their ass and play hard. How do you ask them to do that if the FO is actively sabotauging the roster by sending KK to the Dub?

And I get that the KK in the NHL discussion completely changes if his play deteriorates and he's looking WAY overmatched by the speed/physicality.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That's why KD has repeatedly said the 9-game thing isn't a consideration for whether or not he stays or get's sent back - if his play shows he's overwhelmed he will be sent back whether it's after Game-6 or Game-26.
I don't agree with that. Don't burn the ELC if you're only going to have KK for 15 NHL games. If uninjured, you keep KK up if he passes 9 NHL games. If he's overwhelmed, send him down after the 1st 9 games. Furthermore, he has the World Juniors is in the middle of the season to play against players in his own age.

IMO, it's either 9 or 39 NHL games dependent on injury. The right management decision should be to make a decision after his first 9 NHL games. The Hawks should know by then if he is or not overwhelmed by the NHL game at 19 years of age.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Reactions: ChiHawks10

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I don't agree with that. Don't burn the ELC if you're only going to have KK for 15 NHL games. If uninjured, you keep KK up if he passes 9 NHL games. If he's overwhelmed, send him down after the 1st 9 games. Furthermore, he has the World Juniors is in the middle of the season to play against players in his own age.

IMO, it's either 9 or 39 NHL games dependent on injury. The right management decision should be to make a decision after his first 9 NHL games. The Hawks should know by then if he is or not overwhelmed by the NHL game at 19 years of age.

My comment was in response to the notion that sometimes a rookie may look good early but then become overwhelmed as the season goes along. My point was to quote what KD has said repeatedly regarding the 9-game ELC threshold which is that is it not a deciding factor on whether or not KK goes back to Juniors of stays in the NHL. The deciding factor will be based on how well he handles the NHL level of play. Maybe KD is lying about that but I believe him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My comment was in response to the notion that sometimes a rookie may look good early but then become overwhelmed as the season goes along. My point was to quote what KD has said repeatedly regarding the 9-game ELC threshold which is that is it not a deciding factor on whether or not KK goes back to Juniors of stays in the NHL. The deciding factor will be based on how well he handles the NHL level of play. Maybe KD is lying about that but I believe him.
I think KD is playing the mgmt. game. After 9 NHL games, we should know if KK is overwhelmed or not in the NHL. There's no doubt if he will have his ups and down in the NHL. However, we'll know soon enough if he's mentally mature enough to deal with NHL adversity at 19.

I have no problem if the Hawks decide send KK back to the WHL. However, we should make that decision at game 9 so not to burn his ELC if we do send him down.

This sucks for KK. He really should stay up for 9 NHL games and develop the AHL for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad