Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
He would have more points if CC was not in a slump for whatever reason. But often there's 2 players in the slot. You need to pick the right one. Or the goalie can easily move to cut his angle if there's a pass. Or he'll get the puck there one second too early or too late to trick the goalie.

If he's behind the net, sometimes the right move is stepping in front of the net and stuffing the net not passing to Caufield in the slot with a D piggybacking him in full view of the goalie. It's not one of the world deep mysteries why he's a 20 point player right now. Changes need to happen for him to improve even playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Look at Semenko's point production playing with them.

I agree with you that more and more we see Slaf starting to create plays but still make a mistake and it fails at step 3of4 instead of 1of4 at the beginning of the year.

For me the key point is that he’s improving, figuring things and growing with this core group.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I agree with you that more and more we see Slaf starting to create plays but still make a mistake and it fails at step 3of4 instead of 1of4 at the beginning of the year.

For me the key point is that he’s improving, figuring things and growing with this core group.
Slaf’s improved tremendously. I love the way he plays. He’s absolutely the real deal. He’s a totally different player than early this season. Nevertheless we need to be realistic in how much production he can provide without ”drastic” changes to his offensive game.

He played a lot less games in the COVID year and probably had much less practice. Euro hockey is much more practice than game heavy unlike NA Juniors. An anecdotal example of how that 16 year old season can be important for shooting and offense, it’s the year Luc Robitaille feels he really learned to shoot well as he would shoot a zillion pucks on the ice after practice. Slaf had minimal ice time to work on offense that year. The other 2022’s seem crippled in other areas.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe you should lower your expectations. This guy literally said that "Slaf decided to flip the switch".
lol sorry not sure I know what you mean here .
I don’t know why Boston is sending him to the WJC I 100% garantie that it isn’t to help Canada and he is tied 7th (tied for 6th amongst FW) scoring in the team and 7th in ice time amongst FW + Zacha is injured even if he isn’t playing a important role they are sending him to the WJC even if he can play in the NHL.

They decided it was better for him to play WJC than to play in a limited role in the NHL even if he is playing top 9, contributing offensively on the best team in the NHL.
Slaf was a rookie playing playing in the NHL, no playing a significant role (was amongst the least used fw on the team) or contributing pts on a team that wasn’t even playoff bound.

If the argument that it ok to send Poitras because he isn’t playing a significant role (which is debatable with Zacha injury), it is undeniable that he is playing a bigger role than Slaf was. Why was sending Slaf no a consideration even after the fact…
What's good for Poitras, isn't necessarily what's good for Slafkovsky, especially not right now.
Maybe is first season was a blessing in disguise but there no way to consider it that is was optimal. Going to WJC or AHL might not have improved anything but there absolutely no way missing ~4games to go to the WJC could have hurt either…
Doing something cause it can't hurt, I'm not sure is a reason to do that very thing. Especially when you're trying to integrate a player into your lineup and to make him apply NHL habits.

He's played a total of 70ish games, we’re starting to see what he’s been working on being applied in real time.

Not sure what would be the point of halting that personally, especially given he's already played in a WJC.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
What does this even mean?

Real deal for a 1OA in the NHL?
Real deal as in he belongs in the NHL?
Real deal as in he will be a cornerstone for our team?
Real deal for a 1OA in 2022.
Real deal as in he will be a cornerstone for our team.

Reactions: Pomee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In the rearview mirror is the shrinking possibility that this guy could develop his offense/skill game against meaningful competition and becomes a quality 70-80 point, top line forward.
But he can also do this IN the NHL.
And in the windshield we see the increasing likelihood that Slaf will be some sort of Armia/Anderson/Lafreniere type of vanilla forward. Not necessarly players to frown upon if the contract is right but not what you are looking for when you draft 1st overall.
Do you think the only way to prevent this from happening is for him to spend some time in the AHL?

But why didn't that work with Armia and Anderson, who both spent a considerable amount of time in the AHL before becoming full time NHL players?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
What's good for Poitras, isn't necessarily what's good for Slafkovsky, especially not right now.

Doing something cause it can't hurt, I'm not sure is a reason to do that very thing. Especially when you're trying to integrate a player into your lineup and to make him apply NHL habits.

He's played a total of 70ish games, we’re starting to see what he’s been working on being applied in real time.

Not sure what would be the point of halting that personally, especially given he's already played in a WJC.
No one arguing that he should be going to going to WJC now, but last year… your point is that Poitras isn’t in a important role so it ok to go to WJC every player is different but your making a argument against your self and making my point Slaf was not being used in a significant role why wasn’t the WJC an option, we are talking about missing like 4 games. Slaf has always been pretty good defensively it him being timid and hesitant that is he issue these 4 NHL didn’t move the Needle at all to integrate the line up or having NHL habite.
When your have to make a decision you have to consider all possible outcome sometime not hurting is the best option…
best case going to to WJC finding is swag and coming back a impact player,
Going to WJC having a good Tourney but not having having any immediate impact in the NHL
Going to WJC having a bad tourney and not having a impact in the NHL
Going to the WJC and having a career ending injury
There a bunch of result in between but the most probable outcome was good play at WJC little to no immediate impact for the NHL, (except a bit a of positive vibe) when your looking for the outcome of playing these 4 NHL,
I would say that him instantly becoming a impact player was less likely and him being injured was more likely vs. WJC and the most likely result was zero impact and that isn’t in hindsight that would have been the evaluation at the time…

He had play WJC has a underager with a team that had no shot at winning, he could have lead a team to a goal medal it isn’t the same and overall could have been a positive, in a season where there was a lot of negativity around him.

I’m not trying to convince you that they should have sent him ( even if that is my opinion) I just trying to get you to acknowledge that is was a viable option it isn’t crazy thinking it probably closer to 50/50. Boston sending Poitras by you own assessment make a point that maybe he should have…

Reactions: HabzSauce

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Never underestimate the level of confidence that racking up points against lesser competition can deliver to a fan desperate to see a "tank" work out.

Look how a good tournament made Joshua Roy's fans confident.

Reactions: Pomee and Jaynki

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Never underestimate the level of confidence that racking up points against lesser competition can deliver to a fan desperate to see a "tank" work out.

And Slafkovsky scoring two whole points against Kazakh plumbers and longshoreman did nothing for his reputation, is that right?

What about Slafkovsky inability to rack up points against the competition he ought to be scoring on -- for the third straight season -- doesn't it follow fans would lose confidence in his ability to rack up points if Slafkovsky fails to score against his league competition for the third straight season?

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In the rearview mirror is the shrinking possibility that this guy could develop his offense/skill game against meaningful competition
"Shrinking" possibility? Compared to when? Thirty games ago? Strongly disagree.
and becomes a quality 70-80 point, top line forward.

Whether he becomes a 70-80 point forward partly depends on who he is playing with. There is no question he is a great fit on a line with Suzuki and Caufield. But are they point per game players? I think that possibility might be shrinking faster than Slaf's chances to become a strong player.

And in the windshield we see the increasing likelihood that Slaf will be some sort of Armia/Anderson/Lafreniere type of vanilla forward. Not necessarly players to frown upon if the contract is right but not what you are looking for when you draft 1st overall.
I don't know what you look for in the games you are watching. To me, Slaf makes more offensive contributions every game than Armia or Anderson have done when given a chance on the top line, even though Slaf is 19 and the other two are or just were in the prime of their careers.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Real deal for a 1OA in 2022.
Real deal as in he will be a cornerstone for our team.
I can't possibly see how you have this confirmed for you at this time. Even his biggest fans demand half a decade of patience. But okay, differen't strokes.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Real deal that he belongs AND will be a cornerstone of this team.

Strong possibility he will turn out as a good choice at 1OA (even if others may work out too)

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The rookie 2nd round pick has more points in general, more points in the last 7 games and a better pt/60. Yup, not comparable.

Many would argue with you and disagree about this until they're blue in the face. @BaseballCoach for instance.

Is your argument now that him playing better now is evidence that his development in the NHL was a mistake?

Real deal as in he shouldn’t have been in the NHL?
Real deal as in he needs to be in the AHL?
Real deal as in he belongs back in Finland?

Reactions: Redux91 and Pomee

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No one arguing that he should be going to going to WJC now, but last year… your point is that Poitras isn’t in a important role so it ok to go to WJC every player is different but your making a argument against your self and making my point Slaf was not being used in a significant role why wasn’t the WJC an option, we are talking about missing like 4 games. Slaf has always been pretty good defensively it him being timid and hesitant that is he issue these 4 NHL didn’t move the Needle at all to integrate the line up or having NHL habite.
I'm not arguing against myself, i'm arguing that Poitras' situation this year, with the Bruins, in his first WJC, is not the same situation as Slafkovsky last year, on the Habs, having already played in a WJC (not to mention a WC and Olympics) there was nothing to be gained from sending him there other than allowing fans to watch him for a few weeks.

I would have started him in the AHL last year but they decided otherwise, it's just time to accept that decision and to stop acting like it changed the course of his career.

It didn't.
When your have to make a decision you have to consider all possible outcome sometime not hurting is the best option…
best case going to to WJC finding is swag and coming back a impact player,
Going to WJC having a good Tourney but not having having any immediate impact in the NHL
Going to WJC having a bad tourney and not having a impact in the NHL
Going to the WJC and having a career ending injury
There a bunch of result in between but the most probable outcome was good play at WJC little to no immediate impact for the NHL, (except a bit a of positive vibe) when your looking for the outcome of playing these 4 NHL,
I would say that him instantly becoming a impact player was less likely and him being injured was more likely vs. WJC and the most likely result was zero impact and that isn’t in hindsight that would have been the evaluation at the time…
So what would have been the point, if the team was trying to integrate him into an NHL lineup and for him to learn to master NHL style habits?
He had play WJC has a underager with a team that had no shot at winning, he could have lead a team to a goal medal it isn’t the same and overall could have been a positive, in a season where there was a lot of negativity around him.
We can't pick and choose when these WJC runs matter and when they don't. Throughout history, there have players who went to the WJC and won gold and were never heard from again, there are some who used that platform to propel themselves to NHL stardom, etc.

It's a 3 week tournament, it's a tiny part of a prospects season...I think we've overrated it's significance, especially in Canada where it's become tradition and TSN keeps pumping the idea that you have to be at this tournament or else your doomed.

It's really not that deep.
I’m not trying to convince you that they should have sent him ( even if that is my opinion) I just trying to get you to acknowledge that is was a viable option it isn’t crazy thinking it probably closer to 50/50. Boston sending Poitras by you own assessment make a point that maybe he should have…
I don't agree they should have sent him but I understand why fans wanted/want to see it.

Again for Poitras though, it's a totally different situation.

lol oh I know this is entirely about easing insecurities and nothing to do with actual development.
It's funny, Joshua Roy has been one of the most productive Montreal Canadiens prospect at the WJC, if not the most productive.

He's still learning what it is to be a pro right now...WJCs are cool, they're hardly the magic pill people make it out to be.

Amateur is one thing...being a professional hockey player is a whole other, the former can't replicate the latter.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is your argument now that him playing better now is evidence that his development in the NHL was a mistake?

You can add real deal in that he does have a hockey IQ and some skill after all.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
LOL.

There was no negativity around HIM. His coaches, teammates and the GM were all pleased with how he was learning and improving. That is what counts.

Some FANS had negativity. Teams don't normally send players away from the team for weeks to satisfy some worried fans.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I get it. The only time I was ever on "team AHL" was at the beginning of this year when things looked dire still. Since a month or so ago, however, he's taken leaps and bounds. I believe in those respects, like you, he has nothing to learn. He's looked great on the first line since being promoted too.

I am still concerned about his NHL scoring, however. You say "It's pretty much clear at this point" that it will come. How is it clear?

I'm asking genuinely, I don't mean any disrespect. I just don't see how it's clear. It MAY come. It COULD come. But I don't think that it's clear by any means. Caufield busting out of a slump and scoring more, that's likely to me. He shoots way too much and way too hard not to. Slaf? I don't know.

The way he's improved so quickly in other areas DOES encourage me. But I still think he's passing wayyyy too much. It could be a rookie-not-trying-to-overstep type thing, but I feel that in the AHL, he would take way more offensive liberties and be a bit more selfish. Xhekaj didn't like his demotion, but in my opinion, if the team feels like he needs to work on something, they did the right thing. I think it could be the same in this case.
With 1,4 SOG we can't expect him to be any kind of relevant goalscorer and producer.
Yes, he did improve from 1,07 in 22/23 to 1.41 in 23/24 but he'll need to triple that number to be any goalscorer of relevance.
Good thing is, if he doesn't hit 50 in his third year we can give him some cheap bridge and hope he'll explode as a late bloomer. If not, well, new picks will join the roster.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I can't possibly see how you have this confirmed for you at this time. Even his biggest fans demand half a decade of patience. But okay, differen't strokes.
I can tell that he’ll be a cornerstone because I already know he can bring things that will be a massive asset to the team that are other than points. Like say Bob Probert. But he’ll have his own different style.

D’s are difficult to judge, but he’s easily up there with the forward‘s of 2022. It’s not a bad choice that year and he certainly won’t bust. That’s what I mean as real deal. It’s not that he’ll be the best for sure.

But if you think a cornerstone or #1OA needs to be a top point producer, he might not be your cup of tea.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He’s not playing sufficiently better. His scoring rate has gone DOWN. Twenty rookies are ahead of him, 4 or 5 players from his draft year are ahead of him.

Good players put up points. You can sleep tight with your moral victories but a player who can’t score is not worth talking about.
Yeah as we can see he would’ve been better off in Finland last year and would’ve scored more in the NHL this year. He would’ve been better off in Finland this year and would’ve scored a bunch in the NHL next year. But I’m not debating this any more.

It’s not a bad choice that year and he certainly won’t bust. That’s what I mean as real deal. It’s not that he’ll be the best for sure.
Okay well if you mean “he’s the real deal, he is not a bust” that’s a far cry from “he’s the real deal, he’s a bonafide 1OA”.

I don’t mind either way but was just curious what you meant.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
With 1,4 SOG we can't expect him to be any kind of relevant goalscorer and producer.
Yes, he did improve from 1,07 in 22/23 to 1.41 in 23/24 but he'll need to triple that number to be any goalscorer of relevance.
Good thing is, if he doesn't hit 50 in his third year we can give him some cheap bridge and hope he'll explode as a late bloomer. If not, well, new picks will join the roster.
Slaf has become a lot more constant taking shots since November so his SOG avg is increasing since the season started. He had 3 games without as shot on net in October 9 games, but 5 for all of November and December 22 games.

And in the last 5 games, he's been 2+ sog except against the Jets (0) and that is with him missing more often than last year on shot attempts (31.1% vs 42.1% this year, this is misses on unlocked shots).

He's going to do lot more than 1.4 SOG once he's really up to speed with the NHL.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He would have scored more this year in the NHL if he stayed in Finland last year is such an odd things to say with 100% conviction. Just creating fantasy scenarios that aren’t backed by anything tangible is quite hilarious.

And like I said a while back, it was completely predictable that his obvious great play would get diminished by those looking at HockeyDB. I’ll go even a step further and say if he was getting points, the same posters would say they were undeserved and that his linemates did everything. It’s not a winnable argument when people have zero ability to admit ever being wrong.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He would have scored more this year in the NHL if he stayed in Finland last year is such an odd things to say with 100% conviction. Just creating fantasy scenarios that aren’t backed by anything tangible is quite hilarious.
It's amazing to me how often that kind of stuff gets repeated mechanically amongst fans and media. It's repeated so much, people actually believe it.
And like I said a while back, it was completely predictable that his obvious great play would get diminished by those looking at HockeyDB. I’ll go even a step further and say if he was getting points, the same posters would say they were undeserved and that his linemates did everything. It’s not a winnable argument when people have zero ability to admit ever being wrong.
100%

Reactions: Gally11

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Slaf has become a lot more constant taking shots since November so his SOG avg is increasing since the season started. He had 3 games without as shot on net in October 9 games, but 5 for all of November and December 22 games.

And in the last 5 games, he's been 2+ sog except against the Jets (0) and that is with him missing more often than last year on shot attempts (31.1% vs 42.1% this year, this is misses on unlocked shots).

He's going to do lot more than 1.4 SOG once he's really up to speed with the NHL.
This is Slaf's problem:
His second year: 44 shots in 31 games
As a rookie: 42 shots in 39 games
Fantilli: 82 shots in 33 games - rookie
Bedard: 100 shots in 31 games - rookie
Carlsson: 46 shots on 22 games - rookie
Cooley: 49 shots in 31 games - rookie

If you wonder why some of those players will be a career PPG players, while we'll be opening a champagne when Slaf hits 50 pts we should remember with what kind of resolve and confidence in their own abilities these players came to NHL, and how Slaf came. He is still looking for the pass first instead of opponent's goal.
We're in dire need of a top class goalscorer. Slaf will never be that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad