Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Seing Boston sending Poitras to the WJC, who is playing a bigger role/min, more productive on a better team playing meaningful games. Also seeing ANA manage / ease Carlsson in the lineup… Really make me feel that our management and development still isn’t up to par…
Good thing that Slaf decided to flip the switch because it should be clear to everyone that is first year was not optimal for development and even worst of you consider potential cap or expansion draft implication down the line…

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Seing Boston sending Poitras to the WJC, who is playing a bigger role/min, more productive on a better team playing meaningful games. Also seeing ANA manage / ease Carlsson in the lineup… Really make me feel that our management and development still isn’t up to par…
Good thing that Slaf decided to flip the switch because it should be clear to everyone that is first year was not optimal for development and even worst of you consider potential cap or expansion draft implication down the line…
Poitras has seen his role reduced.

He has played 59 minutes in the Bruins last 7 games. No goals, two points.

Did not previously play in the WJC.

Second round pick.

Not the same situation.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Poitras was still playing an important role in Boston, they wouldn't have sent him to the WJC.

NHL teams priorities are not to stock other countries WJC rosters.
How should that be clear?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
The rookie 2nd round pick has more points in general, more points in the last 7 games and a better pt/60. Yup, not comparable.

because it should be clear to everyone that is first year was not optimal for development
Many would argue with you and disagree about this until they're blue in the face. @BaseballCoach for instance.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean judging by the way he’s turned things around, maybe it was optimal to have him in the NHL right away. At least it got him used to the speed and expectations of the NHL. Obviously getting injured wasn’t optimal, but it clearly drilled scanning habits into his brain which has completely changed him as a player.

I’m not sure sending him to the WJC last year changes anything. It probably just reinforces bad habits because he’d be far and away ahead physically of anyone in that tournament and really, it’s just like 7 games. I think people overrate it as a development tool.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Our leading points player has 23pts in 29 games.

No on one on this team has impressive stats, why are we placing that burden of blame on the youngest player on this roster who is still developing?

Numbers are secondary at this point. I'm not sure why people expect him to be the outlier.
Yes I know, I checked the stats earlier. I suppose I should have said I looked at all the stats on the team and not single Slaf out, oops.

No one? I can't speak for anybody else but I feel somewhat confident that there are probably some that might consider that Matheson putting up 21 points in 31 games is doing alright and that Montembeault and Primeau are as well.

Who is ''we''? that are putting a burden of blame on him? I most definitely am not. The team is terrible, emphasis on team. I expected this team to be terrible during training camp. The blame should be put entirely on the persons responsible for assembling this on ice product.

He is developing ,naturally, time moves on. But why is he granted the ice time over others? should they not be able to develop with the team too seeing as this is supposedly a development season? Would it not be prudent to see what the youngster have before you have to make harder decisions on them?

If numbers are secondary, why play the vets? If it's not about winning, which is bloody obvious it isn't imo.

Are people expecting him to be the outlier as you put it. Again, can't speak for anybody else but you want to see improvement, at least I do, but not exclusively from Slaf, it's a team sport.

For me hockey is as other sports or movies and television, a form of entertainment. If I find that it's awful and not to my liking, I won't watch it, and I am watching less and less of Montreal without a doubt.

Reactions: Bahama Mama

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Poitras has seen his role reduced.

Did not previously play in the WJC.

Second round pick.

Not the same situation.
First let fact check Poitras as 87min in is last 7 games (he has play over 14min is last 2 games, but he has seen near season low in the previous 3 before Zacha injury, considering they have a injury at C it seem even worst to send him) also is he has 1g and 3a +2 during that same period, 87min 4points seem like that a pretty big difference with 59min 0pts…

Because he is 19 and wasn’t a 1st round pick letting Poitras is good or ok while playing top 9 on one of the best team in the NHL and it would have been a bad idea for Slaf who was playing a reduced role on a below avg team and had 0pts, -12, from Dec 15th to the rest of is season jan15th (15games) only broke 14min 5 times in these 15 games.
I still think that as a 18/19 yo going to the WJC playing top minute in against top competition probably even helping Slovak team win gold (vs. lost to canada in OT) would have been better for him… The fact that he is doing good right now isn’t because he wasn’t sent to the WJC and played in the NHL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I tend to agree that at some point production will need to follow. However, seeing how significantly and quickly his game took a step in recent weeks, why couldn't he take that next step eventually ? He's clearly a hard/smart worker and someone who wants to improve.

Reactions: Tuggy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I never get sick of the armchair GM's in this thread who constantly make assertions that Slaf should have NOT been in the NHL last year. Thanks for your opinion tips. It means alot coming from someone behind their computer screen. Love how so many of us know better than the development team for our favourite hockey team. Honestly, the guys who actually, you know, know hockey would laugh at the comedic hot takes on the intraweb!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The rookie 2nd round pick has more points in general, more points in the last 7 games and a better pt/60. Yup, not comparable.

The biggest factors are

a) that his role is reducing, to 59 minutes the past 7 games and

b) that he did not play in the WJC before so it carries a different meaning than it would have last year to a guy who had already played the WJC, the OLYMPICS and WC,

Many would argue with you and disagree about this until they're blue in the face. @BaseballCoach for instance.
The injury caused a pause in development for sure. But Slaf is still only 70 games into his career, and he is up to 19 minutes per game and playing PP1. He has trust from the coaches and his teammates.

Why anyone would think this development path has been flawed is beyond me. But I guess they argue it until they are red, white and blue in the face.

First let fact check Poitras as 87min in is last 7 games (he has play over 14min is last 2 games, but he has seen near season low in the previous 3 before Zacha injury, considering they have a injury at C it seem even worst to send him) also is he has 1g and 3a +2 during that same period, 87min 4points seem like that a pretty big difference with 59min 0pts…
I said the Bruins last 7 games, not HIS last 7 games. The point was his role on the team.

Reactions: Pomee and HabbyGuy

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I mean judging by the way he’s turned things around, maybe it was optimal to have him in the NHL right away. At least it got him used to the speed and expectations of the NHL. Obviously getting injured wasn’t optimal, but it clearly drilled scanning habits into his brain which has completely changed him as a player.

I’m not sure sending him to the WJC last year changes anything. It probably just reinforces bad habits because he’d be far and away ahead physically of anyone in that tournament and really, it’s just like 7 games. I think people overrate it as a development tool.
Sending him to the WJC playing against the best in is age group might not help is development but it couldn’t hurt is NHL career… If there one thing it would have help put some positive vs. The pressure and negativity he was facing over the fact the he was the 1st pick and is play… it not like he progressed in his last 8 games of which he might have missed 4 for going to WJC.

He showed some flashes but ultimately he wasn’t having much impact and around the time Dvorak got back he just flip the switch and is a totally different player ever since. Development isn’t linear but there no way it those 4 extra NHL games where he played less than 13min per that cause him to take a step FW…

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I think it's fair to say that it's possible that management made a mistake last year in keeping Slaf in the NHL, but also admitting that he's improved a lot since.

There's no linear way for development and although a lot would agree that he probably should've gone to the AHL and/or WJC, it seems to be paying off this year and maybe the fact that we kept him up with Marty and Adam Nicholas is paying off now.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I said the Bruins last 7 games, not HIS last 7 games. The point was his role on the team.
He still has 2pts and not 0pts in those 5 game he played and considering he player over 14min in is last 2 games he was playing a bigger role than Slaf was last year… Slaf played 14min+ 9 out of 31 last year, Poitras has played 14min+ 22 out of 27 games the fact the a 19yo rookie missed 2 games and had a couple games we less ice time while playing on the best team in the NHL (that doesn’t really concern me) they have injuries at C, they should need him more (even in a lesser role) not less and they are still sending him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Poitras was still playing an important role in Boston, they wouldn't have sent him to the WJC.

NHL teams priorities are not to stock other countries WJC rosters.

How should that be clear?
Maybe you should lower your expectations. This guy literally said that "Slaf decided to flip the switch".

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes I know, I checked the stats earlier. I suppose I should have said I looked at all the stats on the team and not single Slaf out, oops.

No one? I can't speak for anybody else but I feel somewhat confident that there are probably some that might consider that Matheson putting up 21 points in 31 games is doing alright and that Montembeault and Primeau are as well.
Yes other than Suzuki, Matheson and Caufield to a lesser degree...there just isn't a lot of consistent offensive contributors.

Who is ''we''? that are putting a burden of blame on him? I most definitely am not. The team is terrible, emphasis on team. I expected this team to be terrible during training camp. The blame should be put entirely on the persons responsible for assembling this on ice product.
I meant "we" as fans/media, look at this thread, plenty of talk about his lack of production which don't get me wrong, is a fair criticism.

But he doesn't hold that L alone and frankly, if the other more experienced players around him, who are paid to score, would hold up their end of the bargain. It would help guys like Slafkovsky a lot more.

His point production would be a big concern if everyone else on the team was productive and he wasn't despite copious amounts of time on ice.

But that's not the situation - we view his lack of production through the lens of previous productive 1st overall picks.
He is developing ,naturally, time moves on. But why is he granted the ice time over others? should they not be able to develop with the team too seeing as this is supposedly a development season? Would it not be prudent to see what the youngster have before you have to make harder decisions on them?
Well I think he's earned his ice time lately and deserves it way more than the others.
If numbers are secondary, why play the vets? If it's not about winning, which is bloody obvious it isn't imo.

Are people expecting him to be the outlier as you put it. Again, can't speak for anybody else but you want to see improvement, at least I do, but not exclusively from Slaf, it's a team sport.

For me hockey is as other sports or movies and television, a form of entertainment. If I find that it's awful and not to my liking, I won't watch it, and I am watching less and less of Montreal without a doubt.
Yes, I think so. Which fails to capture the context of the team at this point, but like you said, you want to see improvement and I think no other player has progressed more this season, even if it's not captured on the scoresheet quite regularly enough just yet.

Reactions: rik schau

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Honestly, the only reason I would agree to send him to the AHL at this point is to work on his offensive game. I feel like he would take charge down there and start shooting more pucks, taking more chances, etc rather than always passing off. Maybe that also comes with time in the NHL as well, but I find he's always looking (especially for Cole) rather than looking to shoot.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Honestly, the only reason I would agree to send him to the AHL at this point is to work on his offensive game. I feel like he would take charge down there and start shooting more pucks, taking more chances, etc rather than always passing off. Maybe that also comes with time in the NHL as well, but I find he's always looking (especially for Cole) rather than looking to shoot.

That's why I wanted him in the AHL in the first place.

Agreed.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
wait, some of you still think he'd benefit from going to the AHL??? :laugh:
Honestly, his offensive game for the reason I mentioned above, yeah. The pace of play/physicality/rink size etc he's improved tremendously, but if only to prove to him that "hey, you can shoot too. And probably score."

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I think this will come in the NHL but you shouldn’t be shouted down for this. You’re being reasonable and it’s not liking you’re taking a hard line about it.

I’ve said many times that the AHL vs NHL argument was valid. It’s just the rabid zealousness that I took issue with.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I think management feels Slaf's helping the club in too many non-scoring aspect that it has shut the AHL door for good. I agree with the holes in his offensive game. I think he's teachable enough that they need to cram much more shooting homework in his week.

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
We can refer to his pre-draft pedigree all you want but it's just as bad as it is good. His infamous Liiga production is as brutal as his tournament production is impressive. Do you agree? I don't refer to his Liiga stats any more because it's in the past.

At this point the past should be weighed less than the present performances. After 69 NHL games over two seasons we have a rich phenotype of Slafkovsky now. He's playing better than I've ever seen him.

Would I be shocked if he becomes a star? Define 'star' and I'll give you an honest answer.

I mean, there is no debate any more. He's in the NHL. We don't have any disagreements in kind (Condition A vs Condition B), but rather disagreements in degrees (Condition A vs Condition A). He's not going to develop elsewhere, that disagreement is settled: I thought the new-management Habs wouldn't rush an incredibly raw, self-proclaimed 'project' player to the the NHL... I was wrong! I lost!

The question is now simply how far he will develop on his current track in the NHL. You can't impose on me to think he will become a 100pt forward as I can't impose on you to think he will be the worst 1OA in modern history (not that I necessarily feel this way... yet). We simply don't know. We have stats and models but they're descriptive not predictive.

If he becomes a relevant, useful player for the Habs in the NHL, which he already is showing he can be, we can't be unsatisfied with him in the end. Draft positions don't matter after a while. If Slaf manages to be relevant to the success of our team, that's good. Most of my ire is and continues to be directed at Kent Hughes and team. I distrust them and their decision making and I feel like they've squandered a rebuild opportunity worse than at any point under Bergevin. Slafkovsky himself, I wish him the best even if he turns out to be a let down for a 1OA.
First time I'll give you the nod in a post well done.

Reactions: Pomee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad