Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think he had two points when he got promoted up the line up. He also didn’t make the team last year. He was placed there based on draft status. I’m not a fan of players being placed on pedestals. I think that may be the biggest issue I have with him. You can make an argument for him getting top 6 minutes now, but that speaks more to how poor our forwards have been. I’m seeing fans lowering the bar as far as possible every chance they get to try and justify the pick and I don’t think that’s right. I also don’t think it’s right that you get bullied by posters for not being a delusional optimist in this thread. Not everyone has to be happy with the prospect.
Who said you had to do anything? As I said, you’re entitled to think anything you want.

I don’t share your opinion and I’ve told you why.

Reactions: Pomee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not sure how this will play out for the rest of the season but Slaf currently has far greater responsibiities than Byfield had at the same time on the developmental curve. Meanwhile his opportunties greater in this next segment of that curve so he should surpass him production wise in the next 52 games.
I really don't see us moving him off Suzuki's wing.
I could see him with Dach and CC next year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm not sure how this will play out for the rest of the season but Slaf currently has far greater responsibiities than Byfield had at the same time on the developmental curve. Meanwhile his opportunties greater in this next segment of that curve so he should surpass him production wise in the next 52 games.
I really don't see us moving him off Suzuki's wing.

I agree that Byfield was still playing in a more sheltered role at this time. But that is also because LA simply have a better team and better players so they could have afforded to have Byfield on their 2nd or 3rd line. And credit to Quinton, he still put up points in a smaller role. Meanwhile, Slaf's role has increased, and not just from last year, but from the beginning of this season.

Also, if Caufield can get off the scoring snide, it should coincide with more points for Slaf, because he's set Cole (and Nick) up with some golden opportunities that under normal circumstances, would have ended in goals. In fact, if Anderson had more puck luck when Slaf played on a line with him, Slaf would also have even more points there.

What we're seeing from Slaf now is so encouraging that you want to fast forward two years just to see the force he will be.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He has 1 point in 8 games while being spoon fed top 6/first line opportunities. At what point is it acceptable to be concerned? People that hide behind the age argument disappear real fast when players get older and the same predictable patterns stay present.
He deserves his minutes right now, so I don't agree with the term "spoonfed". Nor is he being sheltered much anymore.

Do you know many 19 year old offensive players with not even one season of games under their belt who are put out in the last minute of play to protect a one goal lead?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He had a decent game last night, made a nice play in the defensive zone and was the main reason that the Caufield goal happened. I would like to see Caufield and Suzuki pass to him more often, they seem to only look for each other on the ice no matter who is the third player on that line.
The Slump the slump the slump the slump the slump the slump.
They need to stop deferring to Caufield until he is is truly open.
The entire line has to become more opportunistic. They are still working out chemistry the goal they did score was a direct result of spreading out a bit. They are unable to take advantage of possession and are easily checked when they get too condensed. Caufield is the one who has to get the puck to either of his mates and then find the open areas. Nick and Slaf are far more adept at creating plays under pressure from along the boards and behind the net.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He deserves his minutes right now, so I don't agree with the term "spoonfed". Nor is he being sheltered much anymore.

Do you know many 19 year old offensive players with not even one season of games under their belt who are put out in the last minute of play to protect a one goal lead
?
Context. What were the alternatives?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Caufield, Evans, Armia, Stephens, Anderson, Gallagher, Ylonen. Maximum two played the shift before his, and Caufield was not one of them.
Caufield is someone you want protecting a lead? None of those guys are impressive. And yes, I’m aware I come across as a massive hater, but something just feels wrong here and has since the first training camp with this player. I see some good things and understand his appeal, but I just can’t shake the feeling there’s something off with Slaf. I hope he ties me down and spoon feeds me crow a few years from now.

Reactions: Forum93

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
He is an agent of disruption, forcing turnovers out of nowhere with that long, sexy stick.

2sQn3Bu.png

Such a quality is only going to become more and more advantageous with every game and every season.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I see JT Miller as a 3-year forecast for Slaf. Similar type of player. Would be absolutely huge for the Habs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree that Byfield was still playing in a more sheltered role at this time. But that is also because LA simply have a better team and better players so they could have afforded to have Byfield on their 2nd or 3rd line. And credit to Quinton, he still put up points in a smaller role. Meanwhile, Slaf's role has increased, and not just from last year, but from the beginning of this season.

Also, if Caufield can get off the scoring snide, it should coincide with more points for Slaf, because he's set Cole (and Nick) up with some golden opportunities that under normal circumstances, would have ended in goals. In fact, if Anderson had more puck luck when Slaf played on a line with him, Slaf would also have even more points there.

What we're seeing from Slaf now is so encouraging that you want to fast forward two years just to see the force he will be.
The why's are very obvious and irrelevant for me. The fact that Slaf will get far more minutes should translate into better production and he needs to bury his chances as well. He's missed out on some glorious opportunities. Both he and Suzuki are equally guilty of forcing passes instead of shooting. Now that Cole is off the snide they have to become more opportunistic as a group. I see this as nothing but great news for Habs Fans and I think it will help speed up Slaf's development.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
A winger on a ppg line. 75 to 80 points ish?
Okay so anybody who (whilst being upbeat and positive) states they see Slafkovsky as a 30-30 guy, you'd jump down their throat for being irksome and underselling Slaf right?

I expect more than a Chris Kunitz type, maybe if he produces like him (600 points in 1000games) but with a bigger two way, physical impact. That will still be a disappointment relative to the Mackinnons and McDavids of this world tho but we gotta play the cards we are dealt. As for him not being 1st overall, after all, Cooley, Wright or whoever would not score higher or better than him. Thats our shitty luck to have drafted 1st in such a year. It appears, so far, right now, we have made the right selection.
Jiricek, a rookie d-man on an as-bad of a team, is outproducing him. I disagree he was the right selection (and I've been consistent about this) but, again, we'll see. It's nothing worth arguing over. It's like waiting for a stew to finish before saying it tastes good or bad. It's going to take a long time before anybody admits it is the right time to taste. Right now I'm saying I don't like how it looks and smells, you're saying otherwise. So be it. We'll see. I hope it tastes good -- I'm just as hungry as any one else in our cave.

I don't see any point in arguing about where he was projected on draft day, or point totals. What's interesting is how he is developing. Folks saying he just woke up the past month, came out of nowhere haven't been paying attention. He has been getting better progressively, week after week, which is fascinating to me. Been VERY fun to watch a project like this come into his own.

I don't think anyone really knows what his upside is. I'm seeing a guy create multiple scoring chances, a guy that if he can get square to the net, and get his shot off + his already great passing game + his defensive awareness + his emerging physicality... could be a bit of a unicorn.

Maybe a learning for some guys around here, you don't have to be right on these draft day calls, NHL scouts and GM's that do this for a reason, spend 8 hours a day watching puck, get these things wrong all the time. Just watch with your own eyes.

Looking at our last 3 high profile picks, it was clear to me very early that AG and KK were limited, that skating would hold them back. They had very obvious flaws.

I don't see any of those in Slaf, even if the points are slower to come.
He's definitely got unicorn in him. To continue the earlier analogy, a Jumbo Chris Kunitz would be highly sought after by any serious team. If that's his fate, we'd be lucky to have him. Though I don't think he's got a great passing game.

As of right now, even at the ~30 point pace you quote, we see improvements. Your "evidence" is based solely on current point production. Most on here, base their evidence on all the other subjective things they are witnessing.
He's on pace for 22 points not 30. I know we see improvements, I hope it translates to production (I think it will).

The overall picture does not change -- he doesn't play a high-production game, he has not yet demonstrated playmaking skills necessary for a high-production player. Again -- my opinion. But I've watched a lot of hockey and I feel confident about what I'm saying. I watch the same games you do and I've praised his presence in recent games repeatedly because he has improved and so this isn't hockeydb scouting, though I was 100% correct that he wasn't ready for the NHL last year and 100% vindicated off my hockeydb scouting.

Anyway this is all a bit too tedious. There is no debate left. He's developing in the NHL and we have no disagreement of kind between us, just the typical and normal disagreement of degree. I don't think it's worth bickering if he's going top out at 8pts or 18pts or 80pts. Que sera sera. Feel free to take shots at me every time he picks up a point.

I'd love to speak about Slaf's day-to-day game without everybody assuming I'm coming from the angle of wanting him to fail so as to vindicate me, which is not remotely the case but I understand why I'm perceived that way. So I won't speak about Slaf as much.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He has 1 point in 8 games while being spoon fed top 6/first line opportunities. At what point is it acceptable to be concerned? People that hide behind the age argument disappear real fast when players get older and the same predictable patterns stay present.

If he wasn't playing the way he was, I can agree that his low production is a concern. But he isn't playing to survive. He's playing with assertion and he's still creating chances. He's arguably been the best player on his line that incldes Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield.

Also, he hasn't been spoon fed Top-6 minutes. He's earned those minutes. If he was spoon fed Top-6 minutes, he would've had them last year, but he was on the 3rd line almost all of his rookie year until he got hurt.

I'll also add that you might look at his production as 1 pt in 8 GP. The way I look at it is that while he has 8 pts in 30 GP so far this year, 6 of those pts came in the last 15 games.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
something just feels wrong here and has since the first training camp with this player. I see some good things and understand his appeal, but I just can’t shake the feeling there’s something off with Slaf.
I appreciate your honesty. Perhaps your feelings will change if Slaf continues to play so solidly that every pundit and commentator continues talking about him.

Or perhaps your feelings are triggered by a more basic feeling that pundits are always wrong and more of the same won't change anything!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Okay so anybody who (whilst being upbeat and positive) states they see Slafkovsky as a 30-30 guy, you'd jump down their throat for being irksome and underselling Slaf right?

No, 30-30 for a winger is still a first liner. It would not be a terrible problem if that is what he was. Would not happen if he was a terrible player with no IQ and no playmaking skills.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I appreciate your honesty. Perhaps your feelings will change if Slaf continues to play so solidly that every pundit and commentator continues talking about him.

Or perhaps your feelings are triggered by a more basic feeling that pundits are always wrong and more of the same won't change anything!
I didn’t want Slaf at the draft. I had him ranked 5th on my list of players wanted, 4th after I heard all the stuff come out about Wright. I was super disappointed his rookie season. I’m self aware that makes me biased when it comes to Slafkovsky. But I don’t think it’s unrealistical to want to see more. One thing you get used to being a Canadiens fan is fans overhyping players and my personal opinion is that’s what’s happening here by quite a few posters right now. He’s improving but I just see it as at such a snail pace. I feel like the things he’s being praised for are things he should’ve already been able to do to hold a roster spot at the very start.

Reactions: Forum93

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The Slump the slump the slump the slump the slump the slump.
They need to stop deferring to Caufield until he is is truly open.
The entire line has to become more opportunistic. They are still working out chemistry the goal they did score was a direct result of spreading out a bit. They are unable to take advantage of possession and are easily checked when they get too condensed. Caufield is the one who has to get the puck to either of his mates and then find the open areas. Nick and Slaf are far more adept at creating plays under pressure from along the boards and behind the net.
Thank you very much, you said it better than I did. Matheson does it on the PP as well, every player we face knows what we are going to do lol. Caufield has a low shooting percentage because his shots are predictable, and always the same lol.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
And yes, I’m aware I come across as a massive hater, but something just feels wrong here and has since the first training camp with this player. I see some good things and understand his appeal, but I just can’t shake the feeling there’s something off with Slaf. I hope he ties me down and spoon feeds me crow a few years from now.
100% on the same boat and having watched him this year and last year I'm even more confused. As charitable as I can be in my projection would be Jumbo Chris Kunitz. Maybe I just don't know anything and all those many many hours watching hockey in my life didn't teach me a thing.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Thank you very much, you said it better than I did. Matheson does it on the PP as well, every player we face knows what we are going to do lol. Caufield has a low shooting percentage because his shots are predictable, and always the same lol.
You are too kind. I only meant to enhance what you already said so well. Without Dach we only have two players up front who can consistently make plays with little space. Suzuki was always one and Slaf is now proving to be one. In Suzuki's case he becomes that much more dangerous when he does have space.
With Slaf he hasn't handled the space nearly as well for lack of experience. Once he stops having that momentary pause he'll be dynamite. Many of his very good plays happen in traffic which is awesome to see. We need it.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Do you know many 19 year old offensive players with not even one season of games under their belt who are put out in the last minute of play to protect a one goal lead?

His play without the puck really has made a dramatic 180 in the past 10 or so games. He's more engaged on the forecheck, much more disruptive to opposing dmen, and has become a beast on the backcheck with his skating and reach. Anyone else notice how he's ALWAYS the first forward back when we turnover the puck? Now, he still has work to do when it comes to his defensive zone positioning and 10 games isn't a huge sample, but his play has been very encouraging and the numbers will soon catch up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Caufield is someone you want protecting a lead? None of those guys are impressive. And yes, I’m aware I come across as a massive hater, but something just feels wrong here and has since the first training camp with this player. I see some good things and understand his appeal, but I just can’t shake the feeling there’s something off with Slaf. I hope he ties me down and spoon feeds me crow a few years from now.
I don’t think you come across as a hater. You simply don’t see him as someone who’s going to be the player others see. And… that’s fine.

I’d just say to you that the points he puts up now aren’t as important as what he’ll do later. He was drafted as a project and that’s what he is.

As for being gifted a spot on the first line, I argued for it long ago. The Pens put Jagr with Lemieux right way. I mean why wouldn’t you put your best prospect with great players? Besides, it’s not like he’s taking a spot from someone else.

They had Newhook on one line, Slaf in another. Makes sense to me to do it that way… And it’s certainly had a positive effect.

The draft was without a blue chip star. There was no Bedard. We went with the guy with the highest upside. Time will tell how it works out but I feel a lot better about it now than I did before.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Agreed with the idea that the 2022 players were hurt by Covid. Slaf looks like a project, but Cooley and Wright do too to some extent.

I think Wright was most affected and ends up getting a real raw deal. He came in at 15 in the OHL as a gifted player, so he does everything not to be mauled by 19 and 20 year olds. Despite that he has a great season relying on his pure skills. His key learning season when he's 16 and more physically ready to learn to play physical he loses completely to Covid.

He's a great skater with a great shot and elite finishing skills. What's preventing from being a solid NHLer right now? He's getting rid of the puck too early and is not very effective taking hits to make plays. He doesn't make enough time and space for himself... I see him as a 30-40-70 but that's going to happen only when he can operate in traffic. Blame his lost 16 year old OHL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad