Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Honestly, his offensive game for the reason I mentioned above, yeah. The pace of play/physicality/rink size etc he's improved tremendously, but if only to prove to him that "hey, you can shoot too. And probably score."

I get the desire fans have to see more scoring... but i just don't think there is any merit to the notion that Slaf's game would benefit, at this stage, from any time in the AHL.

It would be akin to the habs sending Anderson down when he was slumping, or sending CC down to work on his shooting %...

If Slaf's game was showing the signs of difficulty that would benefit from playing at a lower level, sure... but that's not the issue here at all. If anything, his play and his impact have led the team to increase his usage, and he has responded by playing with more assertiveness and confidence with each passing game.

Demoting him at this point would more likely have the opposite effect, creating more doubt and concern in his head, rather than boosting it.

Xhekaj was sent down, and didn't love it. But in his case the significant areas of improvement in his game required more time in a role that he couldn't get in Montreal.

with Slaf, the scoring will come. That much is pretty clear at this point. The progress he made in the other areas of his game came because he could get ice time in more "sheltered" or limited minutes as a fwd, and as he started to play more fluidly in all phases of the game, his impact increased and so did his ice time.

While slumps and rough patches are inevitable (See CC, Josh), at this point it would take a pretty significant regression in Slaf's game for the AHL to be a reasonable place for him to "work on his game".

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I get the desire fans have to see more scoring... but i just don't think there is any merit to the notion that Slaf's game would benefit, at this stage, from any time in the AHL.

It would be akin to the habs sending Anderson down when he was slumping, or sending CC down to work on his shooting %...

If Slaf's game was showing the signs of difficulty that would benefit from playing at a lower level, sure... but that's not the issue here at all. If anything, his play and his impact have led the team to increase his usage, and he has responded by playing with more assertiveness and confidence with each passing game.

Demoting him at this point would more likely have the opposite effect, creating more doubt and concern in his head, rather than boosting it.

Xhekaj was sent down, and didn't love it. But in his case the significant areas of improvement in his game required more time in a role that he couldn't get in Montreal.

with Slaf, the scoring will come. That much is pretty clear at this point. The progress he made in the other areas of his game came because he could get ice time in more "sheltered" or limited minutes as a fwd, and as he started to play more fluidly in all phases of the game, his impact increased and so did his ice time.

While slumps and rough patches are inevitable (See CC, Josh), at this point it would take a pretty significant regression in Slaf's game for the AHL to be a reasonable place for him to "work on his game".
I get it. The only time I was ever on "team AHL" was at the beginning of this year when things looked dire still. Since a month or so ago, however, he's taken leaps and bounds. I believe in those respects, like you, he has nothing to learn. He's looked great on the first line since being promoted too.

I am still concerned about his NHL scoring, however. You say "It's pretty much clear at this point" that it will come. How is it clear?

I'm asking genuinely, I don't mean any disrespect. I just don't see how it's clear. It MAY come. It COULD come. But I don't think that it's clear by any means. Caufield busting out of a slump and scoring more, that's likely to me. He shoots way too much and way too hard not to. Slaf? I don't know.

The way he's improved so quickly in other areas DOES encourage me. But I still think he's passing wayyyy too much. It could be a rookie-not-trying-to-overstep type thing, but I feel that in the AHL, he would take way more offensive liberties and be a bit more selfish. Xhekaj didn't like his demotion, but in my opinion, if the team feels like he needs to work on something, they did the right thing. I think it could be the same in this case.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
The AHL is in the rear view mirror, time to look through the windshield and move on..
In the rearview mirror is the shrinking possibility that this guy could develop his offense/skill game against meaningful competition and becomes a quality 70-80 point, top line forward.

And in the windshield we see the increasing likelihood that Slaf will be some sort of Armia/Anderson/Lafreniere type of vanilla forward. Not necessarly players to frown upon if the contract is right but not what you are looking for when you draft 1st overall.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
In the rearview mirror is the shrinking possibility that this guy could develop his offense/skill game against meaningful competition and becomes a quality 70-80 point, top line forward.

And in the windshield we see the increasing likelihood that Slaf will be some sort of Armia/Anderson/Lafreniere type of vanilla forward. Not necessarly players to frown upon if the contract is right but not what you are looking for when you draft 1st overall.
I'm looking forward to the stratospheric rise from a 20pt player to a 80pt one. Imagine it happens? He would be the most exciting player in modern Habs history. Since the AHL topic is closed we can just smile and hope for the best.

If he falls short? Who cares, we can always rebuild and tank again. Tanking is the name of the game. When you tank you can draft future 80pt players.

Reactions: cphabs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I get it. The only time I was ever on "team AHL" was at the beginning of this year when things looked dire still. Since a month or so ago, however, he's taken leaps and bounds. I believe in those respects, like you, he has nothing to learn. He's looked great on the first line since being promoted too.

I am still concerned about his NHL scoring, however. You say "It's pretty much clear at this point" that it will come. How is it clear?

I'm asking genuinely, I don't mean any disrespect. I just don't see how it's clear. It MAY come. It COULD come. But I don't think that it's clear by any means. Caufield busting out of a slump and scoring more, that's likely to me. He shoots way too much and way too hard not to. Slaf? I don't know.

The way he's improved so quickly in other areas DOES encourage me. But I still think he's passing wayyyy too much. It could be a rookie-not-trying-to-overstep type thing, but I feel that in the AHL, he would take way more offensive liberties and be a bit more selfish. Xhekaj didn't like his demotion, but in my opinion, if the team feels like he needs to work on something, they did the right thing. I think it could be the same in this case.

I think it's clear based on the way he's playing, his unique skills/physical traits, his game sense, his age/maturity level, his established commitment to improving and the relative development curves athletes take.

The same thing you see as "clear" re. CC breaking out of his slump, I see as far as Slaf's most likely performance trajectory.

CC could end up never again surpassing 10% shooting... Slaf could stay at a 4.5% rate for his career. Both appear very unlikely to my assessment.

Nothing is certain. but some things are more clear to others based on what lens they are looking at...

Slaf has shown more than enough to create a degree of certainty that he will both score and create a lot of offense for his linemates. The patience to allow the right developments in his game and his approach to maximize just how productive he will be is not often showed by a lot of programs... the approach our group is/has taken is one of them (and, ironically, many fans without that lens viewed the decision to keep him in montreal last year and this year as a "lack of patience", when it was the exact opposite...

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

It’s not clear. I think because he’s playing with Caufield and Suzuki, people think he’ll suddenly get a bunch of points. History has proven that it’s not automatically the case for the 3rd wheel.

The way he's improved so quickly in other areas DOES encourage me. But I still think he's passing wayyyy too much.

It’s ridiculous how much he overpasses. He just always hands off the puck, sometimes to the other team, sometimes to no one, and often right through Matheson or Barron’s stick to the neutral zone.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Honestly, the only reason I would agree to send him to the AHL at this point is to work on his offensive game. I feel like he would take charge down there and start shooting more pucks, taking more chances, etc rather than always passing off. Maybe that also comes with time in the NHL as well, but I find he's always looking (especially for Cole) rather than looking to shoot.
I mean he’s taking charge as we speak. He’s the most noticeable player on his line which has two $8m players on it.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
funny thing is that this comment is just as ridiculous as the notion that going to the AHL would help his game at this point... similarly out of touch (no sarcasm necessary ;)

Dang.

The Habs should hire you in player development.

You really sound like you know what you're talking about.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I'm looking forward to the stratospheric rise from a 20pt player to a 80pt one. Imagine it happens? He would be the most exciting player in modern Habs history. Since the AHL topic is closed we can just smile and hope for the best.

If he falls short? Who cares, we can always rebuild and tank again. Tanking is the name of the game. When you tank you can draft future 80pt players.

Slaf forechecks hard. Often bumps and outmuscles two players. Forces a turnover. That's the Slaf everyone knows and love. It's why he's a net positive.

But what happens after is why he's never on the scoreboard. He never immediately exploits the play to score, he always forces a dump pass. Sometimes the dump pass is a technical wonder as it's done with panache and not many players can do it. But it's still just a dump pass.

Often Slaf's play leads to a goal, but not one where he'll be on the scoreboard. D or Suzuki gets the dump pass, transits through someone else before ending up in the net. = 0 points.
Sometimes he touches the puck a second time he then rotely looks for a dump pass again. Sometime Habs score a goal in the end. But Slaf = 0 points

To produce points you need to directly affect the finish of a goal. In the NHL that means many assists are a shot on net batted in by someone else. As hard as he tries, he won't get away from shooting on net to get points. Right now 80 points is pie in the sky science-fiction.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Slaf forechecks hard. Often bumps and outmuscles two players. Forces a turnover. That's the Slaf everyone knows and love. It's why he's a net positive.

But what happens after is why he's never on the scoreboard. He never immediately exploits the play to score, he always forces a dump pass. Sometimes the dump pass is a technical wonder as it's done with panache and not many players can do it. But it's still just a dump pass.

Often Slaf's play leads to a goal, but not one where he'll be on the scoreboard. D or Suzuki gets the dump pass, transits through someone else before ending up in the net. = 0 points.
Sometimes he touches the puck a second time he then rotely looks for a dump pass again. Sometime Habs score a goal in the end. But Slaf = 0 points

To produce points you need to directly affect the finish of a goal. In the NHL that means many assists are a shot on net batted in by someone else. As hard as he tries, he won't get away from shooting on net to get points. Right now 80 points is pie in the sky science-fiction.
Ask people who've seen him in Liiga they'll describe to you pretty much the same thing: He can't figure out in time what to do with the puck.

Some of us wanted him in the AHL so that he figures out how to play with the puck but we were wrong, dead wrong. He's in the NHL and he's forechecking hard.

The Points Will Come. In Hughes We Trust.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I mean he’s taking charge as we speak. He’s the most noticeable player on his line which has two $8m players on it.
Maybe the most noticeable if you are looking for shiny new things in typical HF fashion.

But to the trained eye, Suzuki remains the best player on his line.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Ask people who've seen him in Liiga they'll describe to you pretty much the same thing: He can't figure out in time what to do with the puck.

Some of us wanted him in the AHL so that he figures out how to play with the puck but we were wrong, dead wrong. He's in the NHL and he's forechecking hard.

It's one of two things, either A) he can't figure out in time what to do with the puck OR B) shooting and taking the puck to the net are not even in his repertoire. I think it's B but who knows, time will tell.

Also his slick passes to someone in the slot are more akin to dump passes, as he doesn't really take into account the goalie's position and ease to make the save. It's more, I'm passing to a good player somewhere in the slot instead of I'm passing to the player in the right place at the right time for him to score.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It's one of two things, either A) he can't figure out in time what to do with the puck OR B) shooting and taking the puck to the net are not even in his repertoire. I think it's B but who knows, time will tell.

Also his slick passes to someone in the slot are more akin to dump passes, as he doesn't really take into account the goalie's position and ease to make the save. It's more, I'm passing to a good player somewhere in the slot instead of I'm passing to the player in the right place at the right time for him to score.
Your second point is ridiculous. Slot passes are the most dangerous and typically the most fruitful passes in the NHL. Just because Cole’s shoulder is rehabbing this year and he can’t time anything doesn’t take away from the opportunities he’s getting from Slafkovsky.

“Too many slick slot passes” is definitely a new one. I’m betting he’s thinking more about his passes than you are of your post.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Pomee

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If Poitras was still playing an important role in Boston, they wouldn't have sent him to the WJC.

NHL teams priorities are not to stock other countries WJC rosters.

How should that be clear?
I don’t know why Boston is sending him to the WJC I 100% garantie that it isn’t to help Canada and he is tied 7th (tied for 6th amongst FW) scoring in the team and 7th in ice time amongst FW + Zacha is injured even if he isn’t playing a important role they are sending him to the WJC even if he can play in the NHL.

They decided it was better for him to play WJC than to play in a limited role in the NHL even if he is playing top 9, contributing offensively on the best team in the NHL.
Slaf was a rookie playing playing in the NHL, no playing a significant role (was amongst the least used fw on the team) or contributing pts on a team that wasn’t even playoff bound.

If the argument that it ok to send Poitras because he isn’t playing a significant role (which is debatable with Zacha injury), it is undeniable that he is playing a bigger role than Slaf was. Why was sending Slaf no a consideration even after the fact…

Maybe is first season was a blessing in disguise but there no way to consider it that is was optimal. Going to WJC or AHL might not have improved anything but there absolutely no way missing ~4games to go to the WJC could have hurt either…

Reactions: Guess

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dang.

The Habs should hire you in player development.

You really sound like you know what you're talking about.

nah... they've got a group in place that gets it, finally. Don't worry, in time you may come to understand their approach, it's not rocket science, just hard to do when given the external pressure from fans/media who don't know much about sport development and owners who often don't have a clue about much of anything lol

enjoy the ride, Future is bright 😎

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Your second point is ridiculous. Slot passes are the most dangerous and typically the most fruitful passes in the NHL. Just because Cole’s shoulder is rehabbing this year and he can’t time anything doesn’t take away from the opportunities he’s getting from Slafkovsky.

He would have more points if CC was not in a slump for whatever reason. But often there's 2 players in the slot. You need to pick the right one. Or the goalie can easily move to cut his angle if there's a pass. Or he'll get the puck there one second too early or too late to trick the goalie.

If he's behind the net, sometimes the right move is stepping in front of the net and stuffing the net not passing to Caufield in the slot with a D piggybacking him in full view of the goalie. It's not one of the world deep mysteries why he's a 20 point player right now. Changes need to happen for him to improve even playing with Gretzky and Kurri. Look at Semenko's point production playing with them.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
nah... they've got a group in place that gets it, finally. Don't worry, in time you may come to understand their approach, it's not rocket science, just hard to do when given the external pressure from fans/media who don't know much about sport development and owners who often don't have a clue about much of anything lol

enjoy the ride, Future is bright 😎
Fantastic!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let’s say his shot doesn’t come around, it’s possible but I have seen enough instances that it’s there and just needs some tweaking along with more confidence.

But let’s say it doesn’t. He can still score his fair share in and around the net. With his freakish size and reach as he gets even stronger he’ll likely be able to impose his will with impunity in the paint. Cashing in on rebounds, winning lose pucks,etc. This is where his long reach, shiftiness and quick hands will shine.

With a game as well rounded as his, he’ll have plenty of opportunities to score goals even without a plus shot

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
People want Slaf to go to the WJC? Imagine how bad the Habs will look without Slaf in the lineup right now.

Yes, the very same thing we said last year.

We never learn, lol.

3 weeks without Slaf will destroy our playoff hopes because we're contenders! :sarcasm:

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
People want Slaf to go to the WJC? Imagine how bad the Habs will look without Slaf in the lineup right now.
Perfect. Send him to the WJC.

I think that Slaf will eventually adapt to reading plays better, they're probably working with him on a few things at a time to avoid confusing him.

Whether that ability becomes good enough to truly complement a first line offensively, we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad