Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He had a decent game last night, made a nice play in the defensive zone and was the main reason that the Caufield goal happened. I would like to see Caufield and Suzuki pass to him more often, they seem to only look for each other on the ice no matter who is the third player on that line.
Slaf’s very good at keeping plays alive. So If Suzuki and Caufield are in a precarious situation they should pass to Slaf. But they are mindful that Slaf as a rule doesn’t shoot from the mid-slot (see NHL Edge numbers). If the idea is to score, they’re better off looking to finish themselves.

EddyK

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2004
Edmonton
Most used forward yesterday at 19:26. It is a matter of time before the points starts coming. Would love to hear why people think his cap is 50 points at his best. Very premature to say that. I remember Joe Thornton didn’t look like a 100 points producer in his second season. Not saying he will be Joe but give Slaf time to get offensively comfortable and you won’t be disappointed.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Most used forward yesterday at 19:26. It is a matter of time before the points starts coming. Would love to hear why people think his cap is 50 points at his best. Very premature to say that. I remember Joe Thornton didn’t look like a 100 points producer in his second season. Not saying he will be Joe but give Slaf time to get offensively comfortable and you won’t be disappointed.
You're asking people to be patient? What heresy.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He'll create goals endlessly where he won't get a point on. From his forechecking, his board work, screening goalies, creating havoc in space in front of the net, etc. That'll be a thing.

But it won't be an excuse for non-production, it will be an added bonus to whatever production he'll bring which I'm going to go out on a limb (not really) and say will likely be on the higher end.

Again, we're traumatized by Galch and KK but when 19 year olds are doing this well in the NHL, the chance you have a star on your hands goes up dramatically. I honestly don't think Galch or KK ever shown as dramatic a leap in their progress at any point in their careers with us. And certainly not so quickly.

Bet against him and cap him at 50 pts as much as you want but could you honestly really be that shocked that a kid who dominated two international grown man tournaments at 17, and is now proving to be one of our better forwards at 19 years old turns out to be better than a 2nd liner?

The best evidence we have that he'll be 50 pts or a 2nd liner is that we're cursed. If people just come out and say that I'll applaud them. That's a more logical argument in my books then any kind of rational empirical evidence of his play lol.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Now let’s hope we keep losing games so we can grab Cayden Lindstrom, who is in the same mold and happens to be a center. Habs need to keep getting bigger.
However, at this rate to get Lindstrom I think we’ll need not only to keep losing but also some luck. He goes top 3 with that unique package

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
However, at this rate to get Lindstrom I think we’ll need not only to keep losing but also some luck. He goes top 3 with that unique package
We have a 7 games road trip, we will see where we are at in the standing after that stretch. But if we can go something like 2-5, it would be great, dont forget that we are going to sell at the deadline, Monahan at the very least is gone. The rest of the calendar will be much tougher in general as well.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You're asking people to be patient? What heresy.
I just made a prediction, it might be wrong and it has nothing to do with impatience on my part. I haven't said much about Slaf other than preaching patience with him as he learns the NHL game so I don't fall in with the crowd that expects him to be a star player right away. I will stay away from this thread as I usually do just because.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Bet against him and cap him at 50 pts as much as you want but could you honestly really be that shocked that a kid who dominated two international grown man tournaments at 17, and is now proving to be one of our better forwards at 19 years old turns out to be better than a 2nd liner?
Did he play any other hockey in any other competitions around that time and up to present day that might give one pause to project gaudy expectations of Slafkovksy?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
Interesting article on 2022 NHL combines. 1:33 sound bite from a younger Saf before he was drafted!

Reactions: Pomee

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Did he play any other hockey in any other competitions around that time and up to present day that might give one pause to project gaudy expectations of Slafkovksy?
He did!

It’s all about who the real Slaf is. Is the Liiga Slaf the real one or the other?

You could be right but we still have those examples of dominance in the international tourneys. I’m not saying that’s a guarantee but we can’t completely hand waive that either. I mean you can lol.

I see it. Some others do. Some don’t.

Would you be that shocked if he becomes a star? Genuinely asking

Reactions: Pomee

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
This is a good top heavy draft. If we draft in the top 10 we should be able to secure a future core player.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why isn't he converting? It's like ten games now.
It’s concerning he isn’t producing more. Anybody whose saying that this 20 point pace in his second season where he came into it already with half a season of experience is lying to themselves if they don’t find that concerning. That said, the goal he created for Caufield was the nicest thing I’ve seen him do since coming to Montreal and it showed a really high level of a bunch of different skills. If he keeps doing stuff like that, I will start to believe the unicorn talk. But I’m not there yet.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
It’s concerning he isn’t producing more. Anybody whose saying that this 20 point pace in his second season where he came into it already with half a season of experience is lying to themselves if they don’t find that concerning. That said, the goal he created for Caufield was the nicest thing I’ve seen him do since coming to Montreal and it showed a really high level of a bunch of different skills. If he keeps doing stuff like that, I will start to believe the unicorn talk. But I’m not there yet.
If they wouldn’t have given him an assist, it would show how he helps the team despite not landing on the score sheet. He’s my #1 in 2022. With that said, i really hope he can get his shooting together one day and top out higher than 50 poInts.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
He's made like 15 plays nicer than that in the last 2 weeks that could've been goals

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Ignoring the Ds, I had Cooley ahead. Now I have Slaf. Slaf helping out in every facet of the game with a ceiling of 50 points. I have Cooley and Wright both toping out at 70 points, with Cooley more assist heavy and Wright more goal heavy. Their contribution mostly because of their points.

With that said, it’s early and always changing, and I might see more in one or another next month.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He's made like 15 plays nicer than that in the last 2 weeks that could've been goals
I haven’t seen anything to that degree. I was genuinely wowed by that as was the opposing defensemen on the play. If he was doing stuff like that all the time, he wouldn’t be struggling to get points regardless of age.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
387487583_242136658762482_4806849216314299649_n.jpg

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Slaf helping out in every facet of the game with a ceiling of 50 points.

Since 2000, 18 forwards have been picked 1st overall. Only four of them have not had at least one PPG season.

Yakupov, Lafreniere, Slafkovsky and Bedard.

We can safely assume Bedard will have a PPG season and we will assume Lafreniere will never have for this exercice

We will exclude Slafkovsky from the database because he is the one we are trying to determine/speculate on his future outcomes.

15/17 suggest at least one PPG season.

2/17 suggest from total bust to 0.5ppg season (for now)

Personally, it is okay if you don't want to bet on Slaf having at least one PPG season. I can understand although its the highest probability.

Still, capping his ceiling at 50 points right now goes against all odds, logic and statistics. It will be a disapointment if he don't have at least one ppg season.

I would consider him a f***ing bust if his ceiling is 50 points.

I expect him to have at least one ppg season.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Since 2000, 18 forwards have been picked 1st overall. Only four of them have not had at least one PPG season.

Yakupov, Lafreniere, Slafkovsky and Bedard.

We can safely assume Bedard will have a PPG season and we will assume Lafreniere will never have for this exercice

We will exclude Slafkovsky from the database because he is the one we are trying to determine/speculate on his future outcomes.

15/17 suggest at least one PPG season.

2/17 suggest from total bust to 0.5ppg season (for now)

Personally, it is okay if you don't want to bet on Slaf having at least one PPG season. I can understand although its the highest probability.

Still, capping his ceiling at 50 points right now goes against all odds, logic and statistics. It will be a disapointment if he don't have at least one ppg season.

I would consider him a f***ing bust if his ceiling is 50 points.

I expect him to have at least one ppg season.

He’d have to seriously stagnate to have a 50 point ceiling.

Like I know I’m really bullish on him and I don’t mind if I were called out on it as a rose coloured homer.

But he could hit close to 40 this year. He can still get A LOT better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad