Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You see the progress. However, you just wish he could process/react faster, improve his decision making and trust his shot. All in good time.
It will take time. He still rushes the play when he doesn’t have to. Tonight on the empty nigh for example, he seemed to rush to shoot. He had more time than he thought. I’m sure they’re showing him tapes of this stuff after every game.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
After 69 career NHL games:

Slaf: 18 pts (6G, 12A)
Byfiedd: 20 pts (7G, 13A)

Two high picks whose development included growing into their big frames.

ZgLWboM.png

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It’s funny that after all the beautiful set ups the last 6 games, he finally gets a point just simply forechecking.

Other than Dach, no one has been able to get Suzuki and Caufield sustained ozone time. Slaf is an absolute beast on the forecheck, with his stick and disrupting break outs

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He had a decent game last night, made a nice play in the defensive zone and was the main reason that the Caufield goal happened. I would like to see Caufield and Suzuki pass to him more often, they seem to only look for each other on the ice no matter who is the third player on that line.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He had a decent game last night, made a nice play in the defensive zone and was the main reason that the Caufield goal happened. I would like to see Caufield and Suzuki pass to him more often, they seem to only look for each other on the ice no matter who is the third player on that line.
Slafkovsky is becoming a constant physical force for the team. Opposing defencemen are starting to become very wary of his looming presence. It’s interesting to watch their reaction when Slafkovsky is in their area. At 19, he is already a physical match for most defencemen he plays against. In fact, he is often more than a match for them.

Slafkovsky is proving to be a good fit on the top line, adding a needed element of physicality and having the skating, skill and vision to keep up with two very creative players. His offensive contribution and numbers will only grow as the season progresses.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Slafkovsky is becoming a constant physical force for the team. Opposing defencemen are starting to become very wary of his looming presence. It’s interesting to watch their reaction when Slafkovsky is in their area. At 19, he is already a physical match for most defencemen he plays against. In fact, he is often more than a match for them.

Slafkovsky is proving to be a good fit on the top line, adding a needed element of physicality and having the skating, skill and vision to keep up with two very creative players. His offensive contribution and numbers will only grow as the season progresses.
He's still looking lost at times and his reaction time to loose pucks isn't great, he's like a baby learning to use his hands out there at times. I have always liked his ability to make passes, he's one of the best passers on the team. His shot release is too slow but will get better. Also, his defensive awareness has taken big steps forward and MSL trusting him to be out there with the game on the line proves it. I see him as a 50-60 point player when he matures but one that plays a strong two-way game, a really good second line player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You are looking backward.
Sure but that's the production he's had on the top line. I would expect more next season but I doubt Slaf explodes this year just based on how he creates chances. His passing and shooting choices still need work and I don't see him getting over that hump this season. We should just be happy there's progress where there was none last year and the start of this season.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
He's still looking lost at times and his reaction time to loose pucks isn't great, he's like a baby learning to use his hands out there at times. I have always liked his ability to make passes, he's one of the best passers on the team. His shot release is too slow but will get better. Also, his defensive awareness has taken big steps forward and MSL trusting him to be out there with the game on the line proves it. I see him as a 50-60 point player when he matures but one that plays a strong two-way game, a really good second line player.
I think even at his very, very raw current stage, he’s generating waaay too many chances for himself and his linemates to top out at that level in his prime. Obviously it could happen if his development stagnated but right now, without his 1 in a million toolbox he wouldn’t even be in the NHL for another couple years of development so it’s a bit early to put a ceiling on him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure but that's the production he's had on the top line. I would expect more next season but I doubt Slaf explodes this year just based on how he creates chances. His passing and shooting choices still need work and I don't see him getting over that hump this season. We should just be happy there's progress where there was none last year and the start of this season.
I think the issue with his passing/shooting has more to do with delayed decision making. When he's decisive, his is effective. (like really effective). When he's unsure, he looks awkward.

Last night for example, he had multiple opportunities to shoot (or to walk in from the left boards and shoot from a prime location) and opted to pass. He needs to be more selfish - like a Caufield. Last night i questioned whether he had a decent shot and that's why he was opting to pass (like Drouin). Then i looked back at his highlights and he has a good shot.

Its a decision making issue. That is easily corrected.

Reactions: Paddy17 and Pomee

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He's 19. A man child. I don't think anyone can accurately predict his ultimate upside. But the notion of sending him down to the AHL so that he can grow his game is now, thankfully, a spent idea. Slafkovsky is now here to stay.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

I don't disagree with your takes but that is not how i would speculate with a 19yo growing at his rate right now.

Like goldenhands, i think 32 points in 52 games is totally realistic. I would not use the last six games as a data point to discredit it, especially since he had 5-6 grade A chances per game.

Producing at a constant rate is the only thing that is missing before having an absolute stud.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
He’s constantly having those kind of games every game now. We can say it’s now his normal level until he takes another step!

What is this other step and how much does it cost out of his ELC?

That is exciting seriously.

He has 69 games played and barring any injuries, there is still 132 to be played until the end of his ELC.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
They have been the most prolific line this year for the Habs in terms of scoring chances. Around 60% of expected goals. Considering they don’t have the easiest deployment, this is very, very encouraging. We haven’t seen a lot of cycling offense in the last 2 years, so this is welcome.

1702828145610.png

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He's been generating free chances in the slot for his teammates at 5 on 5 for 2 weeks now making plays out of nothing. Its pretty dam impressive and staggering how much better he is now than to start the season. I didn't even expect him to be this visually impactful at 19 when we drafted him so after a rough start in the NHL he's basically right back on track in terms of his development profile considering his size and draft pedigree.

Hopefully he keeps it up. I know development isn't linear and there might even be some regression down the line this season but man it would be nice to see a kid just constantly improve until he becomes a beast something I've personally never seen in my life on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad