Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
what if he needs some really good players to get him going, because he isn't generational, and then he totally takes off. Would be sad if the team fails him and gives him plumbers to play with for the next 5 years. kid has talent, I wonder how he would already be progressing on a team with a good core and not on year 33 of the rebuild?
its a good point, I dont think we have any good players that can elevate him. Kids going to have to do it on his own , tough town to do it in no doubt

Reactions: Habs

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
its a good point, I dont think we have any good players that can elevate him. Kids going to have to do it on his own , tough town to do it in no doubt
We have good players in Suzuki, Caufield, Dach (not this year) but no players who could push him forward offensively by helping him produce a ton for now.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Possibly but I don’t see why he can’t be a play driver himself when he puts it all together.

He has so much runway ahead of him still. Galch and KK flat out regressed. I mean we are cursed but he’s still doing very impressive things for a 19 year old. He could be flat out unstoppable in a few years
If Galchenyuk could have created opportunities for himself like Slaf he would have been a monster as he was a decent finisher. Slaf unfortunately is not, but will create a million opportunities for himself. I guess we can’t have it all.

Reactions: Don D

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If Galchenyuk could have created opportunities for himself like Slaf he would have been a monster as he was a decent finisher. Slaf unfortunately is not, but will create a million opportunities for himself. I guess we can’t have it all.
I’ll wait and see on Slaf’s finishing abilities.

It’s all a work in progress and he’s shown himself a quick learner.

I. Seen plenty of tape of him displaying a damn fine shot. Once he puts it all together he’s gonna be a handful

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

I. Seen plenty of tape of him displaying a damn fine shot. Once he puts it all together he’s gonna be a handful
The problem is not his shot. It’s his release. And the fact he never shoots mid-slot like everyone else. I want him to improve just as much as you. But it’s not something he needs to tweak and adapt to the NHL like a usual top draft pick. It’s not there at all, he needs to start from scratch. Just giving him time is not enough.

I’ve just reviewed his goals prior to the NHL. Two of his goals in the Olympics won’t happen in the NHL because he’s basically cranking up a winch handle before releasing. NHL goalies are too good and Ds have time to stick their sticks before he gets it off. He needs to completely cut out those windups in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I’m going to be disappointed if he never transitions into at least a top 6 forward but he has all the tangibles of being a very good bottom 6 player already. A lot of people really fell in love with a guy like Eller and he was a big part of the Capitals cup in 2018 so it wouldn’t be awful if he fit into a role like that on the team only better and obviously with more physicality. He seems to have the best basement out of the guys he was drafted around in 2022.
He is going to be a top 6 forward without a doubt for me. His size, strenght and his play along the board is gonna be a key piece to be a really good complementary piece. But, if I had a bet to make. His best production’s willl be something around 60 pts. JVR isnt a line driver, but he remain a useful player (especially back in the day)

Reactions: Don D

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC

Yeah exactly. He passes so well and he's showing he can carry the puck. The shooting woes will get better as he just needs more experience/reps in game to learn how to do it better.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Galchenyuk was vastly superior to Slafkovsky night in and night out, making spectacular plays that evidenced skill and vision every game from the moment that he hit the ice for the Canadiens.

It's a thoroughly laughable comparison, and nonsense to think that Slafkovsky will ever come close to reaching the even middling success of Galchenyuk's thirty-goal season.

If not for the obvious issues in his personal life, exacerbating by the toxic influence of his father and the opportunities afforded by the city of Montreal, as opposed to some milquetoast local like Nashville, the conversation surrounding Galchenyuk would be completely different.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Galchenyuk was vastly superior to Slafkovsky night in and night out, making spectacular plays that evidenced skill and vision every game from the moment that he hit the ice for the Canadiens.

It's a thoroughly laughable comparison, and nonsense to think that Slafkovsky will ever come close to reaching the even middling success of Galchenyuk's thirty-goal season.

If not for the obvious issues in his personal life, exacerbating by the toxic influence of his father and the opportunities afforded by the city of Montreal, as opposed to some milquetoast local like Nashville, the conversation surrounding Galchenyuk would be completely different.

@Talik Sanis = Alex Galchenyuk's father, confirmed.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

This is quite the post, I must say

Reactions: Pomee

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
But of course, players at this age progress often continuously, often in spur, and this may include adapting to a new league. But that's not the point of my comment. Some people have been saying for months that it was better to develop a player in a lower league to see him dominate versus in the NHL. People were adamant that it was a major mistake for doing otherwise. Cooley dominated a lower league last year and isn't better today. That's true no matter the "adaptation" period. If he can bridge the gap by the end of the season, then great for him.
The three comments in bold reveal your obvious contradiction.
All "rookie season" means is that it is the first season of a player in a league. Why do we call a first-year college student "freshman"? I guess we should ask the "college historians" why they "distinguish" students like that.
So why do they distinguish the first season of a player in a league?

Could it be because there is a steep adjustment period? I think so. For the record Cooley's adapted to the NHL to the tune of producing 0.52 points per game, that's more than double Slafkovsky's production of 0.25 points per game. To try to frame it as if Cooley was underserved by not being rushed to the NHL last year is simply unfounded.
And one can make up assertions and assumptions and change them on a whim - like the assumption that "dominating in a lower league" has a significant impact on playing development - and the fun things is that the conclusions will always end up right, they'll just be rationalized differently.
We can't prove a negative. We can move on from Slafkovsky-in-the-AHL because it'll never happen.

If Slafkovsky never blossoms, you can blame his parents or his coach or Montreal's nightlife or whatever. As is tradition.
The problem is that looking at stats models in a sport like hockey can only bring you so far. I don't care much about comparing Slaf stats with other players, I don't think it's worth much.
I agree there. It's not worth much. A 1OA who never figures out how to score is also not worth much.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Completely different players. Slaf will never be as flashy but he’ll be able to bulldoze players as he goes along. He’s a much longer project than Galchenyuk was but I disagree that it’s impossible to see him scoring 30 goals. He’s so raw right now and doesn’t even really shoot. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Chuck started well and i
Think Slaf will finish well. His development this season is so encouraging.
Galchenyuk’s biggest problem was Therrien. Under a different environment he should’ve been able to have a good career.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He's 19 and probably should be developing in the AHL or lesser league.

Habs are choosing to develop this very raw player in the best league in the world.

This is nowhere near to his final form.
On a shit franchise as well.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Except he skated like both his knees were attached backwards (And could not move his feet and hands concurrently).

Agreed about the mits and the release though.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
This is fair. If you were feeling attacked by what I said in the past I apologize. I’ve been a Habs fan for almost 30 years now. Trust me, it’s not my agenda to see a number 1 pick for this team fail just to be able to say I’m right on the internet. Most of my concerns I feel were more then fair.
I still have concerns, plenty. He’s looked better in some of the recent games I’ve watched, so that is positive.

Always said that we likely got a good player, but not elite and that I didn’t like the approach chosen. If he develops nicely this way then it’s hard to argue against it, however, I don’t see the need to rush a young player, there is significant possible downside and very little upside. It is true that most elite talents will get there regardless. It’s the players that are may not be so elite that need that extra care, I’m not convinced he’s going to be an elite player.

Fire away.

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Galchenyuk’s biggest problem was Therrien. Under a different environment he should’ve been able to have a good career.
Blaming Therrien was the false narrative employed at the time by people who were let down by Galchenyuk to feel better about their comically wrong expectations.

It was an awful take back then. And now, in 2023, with everything out in the open and the benefit of hindsight, it's ridiculous that people would even attempt to use Therrien as a scapegoat.

1110alex-galchenyuk-police-video-e1699542648825.jpg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Blaming Therrien was the false narrative employed at the time by people who were let down by Galchenyuk to feel better about their comically wrong expectations.
Galchenyuk didn’t let people down at all. When used properly he produced and so did the team overall. He was just really badly misused most of the time.
It was an awful take back then. And now, in 2023, with everything out in the open and the benefit of hindsight, it's ridiculous that people would even attempt to use Therrien as a scapegoat.

1110alex-galchenyuk-police-video-e1699542648825.jpg
As has been discussed many times, Therrien was the absolute worst coach at the worst time for a young team. Not only was he terrible tactically he was a bully and all around jackass.

Chuck is responsible for his own decisions and whatever happened in his own personal life. But we not only didn’t help him, we hurt him by badly misusing him and creating a terrible environment.

I’ll never sit here and say Larry Robinson would’ve been a magic bullet for that team, but there’s no doubt he would’ve helped.

I continue to be shocked that people w could watch the 2016 season and STILL defend that idiot coach. If you don’t get it by now you never will. Worst coaching I’ve ever seen.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
On improving his shot release and offence, on the one hand, I tell myself he’s starting late at 19 and he has an extremely hectic NHL schedule to work around to find time to improve it.

On the other hand, NHL players have been forced to learn new shots from scratch. For example when the one-timer started popping up, everyone had to learn it.

We’ll see…

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
On improving his shot release and offence, on the one hand, I tell myself he’s starting late at 19 and he has an extremely hectic NHL schedule to work around to find time to improve it.

On the other hand, NHL players have been forced to learn new shots from scratch. For example when the one-timer started popping up, everyone had to learn it.

We’ll see…
No doubt the offense will come. I don’t think anyone expects Slaf to remain a 20 point player. How much is there? I’m not sure. I said 30/30 was what I thought his upside might be. His game has improved fairly quick, so I don’t think it’s fair to put a ceiling on him yet, but eventually he will have to show some finish.

Reactions: Kennerback

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
No doubt the offense will come. I don’t think anyone expects Slaf to remain a 20 point player. How much is there? I’m not sure. I said 30/30 was what I thought his upside might be. His game has improved fairly quick, so I don’t think it’s fair to put a ceiling on him yet, but eventually he will have to show some finish.
I still have him at 20/30, mostly because he doesn’t shoot.

But I understand he’s in a touchy situation. His shot release is inefficient yet he needs to shoot a lot more.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I still have him at 20/30, mostly because he doesn’t shoot.

But I understand he’s in a touchy situation. His shot release is inefficient yet he needs to shoot a lot more.
He does seem to be a student of the game, coachable player, I’m sure they’re working at it: It is definitely an area that needs to improve to reach 30/30

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

We’ll see…
Pretty sure every nhler is looking in the mirror repeating “toe-drag, release! Toe -drag, release!” Since pre-draft Bedard.

Everyone using wristers instead of clappers these days is interesring.

Slaf is getting shots through recently and ringed a few posts. He had gone from no shots to blocked shots prior, so seems like a step up to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad