Value of: JT Miller to the Leafs.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If the Canucks are retaining 50% on Miller, who already has a good contract, and taking back other salary as well, you realize that the number of teams that could fit him/have interest in him would make a gigantic jump right??? This offer likely gets beat by multiple contenders

Welcome to HF and Leafs fans. LOL

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think 2022 first , plus 2023 1st both top ten protected plus a 2022 2nd plus Ritchie, for JT Miller at 50% is fair and I would do it as a leaf fan.
the 2023 1st scares me to deal
I wonder if a 2022 1st top 10 protected+Amirov+Ritche+a 2nd gets it done for Miller@50%

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
Millers a perfect fit for the leafs but teams are going to outbid us. He's going to cost a good prospect and id be willing to do Robertson but im worried they'll ask for Niemela and at that point id say no. Next they'll likely want this years first and that will strip us pretty badly for next years draft and that again will make me nervous.

I would go hard for Miller but I dont think it will be much for other teams to outbid us.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Nope Ritchie was brought in for playoff hockey, they won’t trade him yet. Kerfoot and his $3.5 has to go
Lol Kerfoot is exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs. Not suggesting Ritchies impact won’t be quantifiable until the post season, but suggesting the team needs playoff players then suggest moving off Kerfoot is quite possibly the worst take I’ve read today.
ok on to the topic at hand.
Miller %50 + Schenn
Dermott + Engvall + non roster asset not named Niemela Robertson Knies Amirov + 22 1st + 23 2nd*
* becomes a 1st if TML makes cup final/miller re-signs.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
We got miler for a 1st and a 3rd. Price would be higher than that for him as his value went up a lot more since we got him. So probably something like a 1st + 2nd + 3rd going strictly pick wise.

If we retain 50% would you do 2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2023 1st?

I HIGHLY doubt it.

The Leafs had 3 draft picks in 2021, two of which were in the 5th and 6th rounds.

They are already down to 3 draft picks in 2022 and are short a 7th rounder in 2023.

While I do believe that one of the Leafs 2022 picks would be in play for the right player (JT Miller at 50% retained would fall into that category IMO), I think they're going to be quite hesitant to do a "Straight picks" type of deal.

More likely, a deal would have to be something along the lines of:

To Vancouver: 2022 1st, 2023 4th, Nick Ritchie, Travis Dermott, Prospect (Excl Amirov, Robertson, Niemla & Knies)
To Toronto: Miller (50% Retained), 2022 3rd (Winnipeg's), Maybe Luke Schenn??

Maybe Kerfoot instead of Ritchie given that they'd occupy quite similar roles / positions.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Dhaliwal is the best Canucks source there is. Sekeres, who reported the original BS constantly makes up BS and is a fraud

OK. But I'm asking because if Dhaliwal is the best sourse, that can often mean Vancouver mgt share more with him than other reporters. In that scenario, mgt can use this transactional aspect of the relationship to use Dhaliwal when something unflattering is made public. If Dhaliwal relies on being fed information by those in the organization, then doesn't that also mean they have leverage over him in scenarios like this?

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas would not trade Liljegren to Vancouver anyway so there's no point discussing. He seems to care too much about his players to do something like that to them.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Liljegren is a bottom pairing defenseman at best, and does not play the style we need. Neither does Niemela. Both of them are too small.

Sandin is left handed.
Liljegren is a bottom pairing defensman in the same regard as podkolzin is a 4th line grinder.

don’t confuse lack of NHL experience as lack of talent. Liljegren is probably already a better player than Tyler Myers, Luke Schenn, tucker poolman, and any other scrub on the Canucks back end not named Hughes and OEL

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Millers a perfect fit for the leafs but teams are going to outbid us. He's going to cost a good prospect and id be willing to do Robertson but im worried they'll ask for Niemela and at that point id say no. Next they'll likely want this years first and that will strip us pretty badly for next years draft and that again will make me nervous.

I would go hard for Miller but I dont think it will be much for other teams to outbid us.

Last player I would want.

Reactions: Ciao

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I HIGHLY doubt it.

The Leafs had 3 draft picks in 2021, two of which were in the 5th and 6th rounds.

They are already down to 3 draft picks in 2022 and are short a 7th rounder in 2023.

While I do believe that one of the Leafs 2022 picks would be in play for the right player (JT Miller at 50% retained would fall into that category IMO), I think they're going to be quite hesitant to do a "Straight picks" type of deal.

More likely, a deal would have to be something along the lines of:

To Vancouver: 2022 1st, 2023 4th, Nick Ritchie, Travis Dermott, Prospect (Excl Amirov, Robertson, Niemla & Knies)
To Toronto: Miller (50% Retained), 2022 3rd (Winnipeg's), Maybe Luke Schenn??

Maybe Kerfoot instead of Ritchie given that they'd occupy quite similar roles / positions.

It doesn’t have to be a straight picks deal. The value of prospects has to match the valuation of the picks they are replacing. It’s easier to make a value out of picks than prospects as a general guideline of what the Canucks would look for.

we aren’t doing that deal you mentioned above though. That’s a horrible offer.

miller at 50% would be 2 1sts and a 2nd
Your offer is: 1st + dermott (worth a 2nd at most but more likely a 3rd) + a prospect (worth a 2nd at most again) + 4th while we give you a 3rd back on top.

Not to mention we have no use for dermott as he doesn’t fit our roster short term or long term. To us, he’s just a throw in like ritchie. So to us your offer is the equivalent to 1st + 2nd + 4th + 2 cap throw ins for miller at 50% and a 3rd. That wouldn’t get you miller with no retention + without the pick but it would be close

Last edited:

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
I’d do that. We get to kick start a rebuild and Ritchie is cheap enough and adds grit we lack anyways.

so let’s fax it in? 2022 1st + 2022 2nd + 2023 1st + Ritchie for miller at 50%?

As a Leafs fan, you don't want Ritchie! The guy is slow, has hands of stone, takes dumb penalties etc. You guys can get a far better return for JT Miller.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
As a Leafs fan, you don't want Ritchie! The guy is slow, has hands of stone, takes dumb penalties etc. You guys can get a far better return for JT Miller.
Sure we could do better but he’s just a filler piece with a somewhat cheap contract. Not like the Canucks would be looking to compete if they move miller in this deal. The main reason we do that deal is for the 2 1sts and the 2nd round pick

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
That’s 50/50 now as one of your fans has said they’d do it. Miller to the leafs won’t happen if it’s less than this. We aren’t selling him for the same amount we paid for him when he’s become a much better player
To be fair, he’s also older snd has less time of team control left. Does that offset the improved play? Not sure. But it’s certainly an aspect that needs to factor in

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
OK. But I'm asking because if Dhaliwal is the best sourse, that can often mean Vancouver mgt share more with him than other reporters. In that scenario, mgt can use this transactional aspect of the relationship to use Dhaliwal when something unflattering is made public. If Dhaliwal relies on being fed information by those in the organization, then doesn't that also mean they have leverage over him in scenarios like this?
I see what you’re saying, but the same can be said for any reporter then. The best reporters have the most connections with team representatives and agents. Everyone but Sekeres has said that the locker room shenanigans was false

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
To be fair, he’s also older snd has less time of team control left. Does that offset the improved play? Not sure. But it’s certainly an aspect that needs to factor in
Him being older and less term doesn’t offset his improvement. Consider this. Blake Coleman at the same age, 1.8M with 1 year and some odd games returned a 1st and Nolan Foote.

that’s a 1st and 2nd round pick value. The 1st was the Canucks first too and they were on pace to miss the playoffs at the time.

Canucks are sending miller at 600k more but also taking on 2.5M as a filler salary, NJ took back 0 salary. Miller is also twice the player Coleman is

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I see what you’re saying, but the same can be said for any reporter then. The best reporters have the most connections with team representatives and agents. Everyone but Sekeres has said that the locker room shenanigans was false

I obviously don't know what's correct with the stuff behind the scenes (no one does really). All I'm saying is that Sekeres not having access to those in the organization can mean he has greater independence than those who are more reliant on internal contacts. If the more "legitimate reporters" are more legitimate because of their internal contacts, that means they might have less independence in that the organization can lean on them to clean up an unflattering mess.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Leafs need a LW to play with Matthews and Marner and the Canucks are entering a major rebuild,they are doing It kicking and screaming but they are doing it.
Miller would be a perfect fit.
I'd pay a BIG price for him especially If he could be acquired this year because then

you get him for 2 playoff runs

Just to be clear, one playoff series is considered a run. Is this correct?

JT Miller is an exceptional talent . He is so much more than I thought he would be while with the Rangers . He is on a great contract compared to what some others are getting. Is there room for another 5 million dollar player on Toronto . You can’t give up the same old peanut butter and jelly sandwich that you offer in every other trade thread .. Spotrac shows zero cap space available

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Just to be clear, one playoff series is considered a run. Is this correct?

JT Miller is an exceptional talent . He is so much more than I thought he would be while with the Rangers . He is on a great contract compared to what some others are getting. Is there room for another 5 million dollar player on Toronto . You can’t give up the same old peanut butter and jelly sandwich that you offer in every other trade thread .. Spotrac shows zero cap space available
2 years. Miller is signed through next season. So far the most agreed upon deal is Ritchie + picks for Miller at 50%. Thats a 125k cap difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad