Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Do you think we'll draft a guy? Because you need about 4-5 years to develop a draft pick. Or does Sparks hold the fort for a while?

not sure what they'll do. Sign another guy within the league, a low-key guy to keep bridging the gap for a bit longer until they start to show promise, and then work with him and Sparks. Who knows. But I just don't see it being Bernier or Reimer - i think theur time has expired here. Problem is I've been saying that for so long now, yet the situation remains unchanged and as unstable as ever. I can't understand why it's went on as long as this, unless of course they're just keeping both to bridge the gap and "they'll do for now".. But they'll deal with it as it comes like any other team does.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Can't be your team if you only have four months left with the franchise.

It would be smart to trade Reimer before the deadline. He won't be coming back next season and we would be smart to trade him when his value is higher than it'll ever be again.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
which teams need a goalie?

The Leafs are definitely one of them. Sparks is solid, but his positioning makes me nervous. Bibeau is unproven as well. Bernier and Reimer have both proven to be mediocre, but if Reimer can continue with this the Leafs could definitely use him. It's very difficult and unreliable to get a goalie from outside the organization, and drafting and developing takes ages

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Off the top of my head, I'd say Carolina, Edmonton, Vancouver and Montreal could all be possibilities given the right situation. Something to explore rather than losing him for nothing.

Calgary as well but but they've been okay, and I don't know whats up with Columbus and Bob (did he find his confidence yet?)

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Calgary as well but but they've been okay, and I don't know whats up with Columbus and Bob (did he find his confidence yet?)

If Reimer returns something good, I would trade him at the deadline. I would still try to sign him to a 2 year deal in the offseason though (if he keeps this up). He will probably balk at that and sign somewhere else, but it's worth a shot.

If Bernier can string together a decent amount of good outings we might be able to get a pick for him or something, who knows. Not likely, but it's possible.

Then you have a fresh slate and we can work on goalie of the future.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The stats from this game hurt, he will need 2 very good games to compensate for it and then he's still bad and 3 very good games on average seems impossible.

If they keep Bernier for next season and we assume that Bernier starts slow into the season again same like this season then the season will be over in November.

Should have traded him yesterday.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It would be smart to trade Reimer before the deadline. He won't be coming back next season and we would be smart to trade him when his value is higher than it'll ever be again.

This.

Reimer will be playing his hockey either in Edmonton or back home next season.

Get what you can for him, if there are teams willing take him on now.

As for Bernier - keep him and let him drive the tank. He's done a splendid job of doing it the past 12 months. Why change that?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Bobrovsky was overused. Started the season b2b and then played some other b2b and then injured his groins. Was on a crazy pace for over 70 games in the first 2 months of the season and that's just too much. Bobrovsky is good, coaching is bad. Don't know if he wanted to play all those games. You need goalies who are honest, like Reimer learnt now, who play only when they are 100% fit. There's also no gain to play b2b when you have goalies in the system like Sparks who can play so well like he did.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This.

As for Bernier - keep him and let him drive the tank. He's done a splendid job of doing it the past 12 months. Why change that?

Then you should keep Nylander and all the others in the AHL because the season will be over in November. I think they don't want that but we will see what they will do.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia

Calgary has Ramo, who is playing really good in last month, even a little bit more than a month. They need someone to take Hiller from them or sth like that.

And yes, Bob found his confidence, he was incredible, but he is injured. He actually came back from injury, but after few days, actually without game played, he was put back on IR list.

I agree with Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and maybe also Carolina, even though I believe that they will just let it play out this season with giving chance to Lack to take over the starting position.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
This.

In reality though, we know that management and Babcock are not going to lose on purpose. So in that case, handing the starting job back to Bernier next season, unearned, makes no sense.

Let's think about it this way: if Reimer is putting up top 10 numbers and we trade him for a 2nd, then in the summer trade that 2nd for another goalie who didn't post top 10 numbers (because those don't get made available by anyone but the Leafs) who might be a worse option than Reimer, does that make any sense?

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
In reality though, we know that management and Babcock are not going to lose on purpose. So in that case, handing the starting job back to Bernier next season, unearned, makes no sense.

Let's think about it this way: if Reimer is putting up top 10 numbers and we trade him for a 2nd, then in the summer trade that 2nd for another goalie who didn't post top 10 numbers (because those don't get made available by anyone but the Leafs) who might be a worse option than Reimer, does that make any sense?

this is the bernier thread, where nothing makes sense

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

If we can get a 2nd for Reimer now it doesn't mean we can't sign him in July. I would sign Reimer only for reasonable money, not for 5M and if Reimer wants to be a Leaf in July again he can consider to take a Leaf discount. Tell him we will get rid of Bernier and he will play the majority of games, backuped by Sparks and another young goalie we aquire for that 2nd rd pick.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
The stats from this game hurt, he will need 2 very good games to compensate for it and then he's still bad and 3 very good games on average seems impossible.

If they keep Bernier for next season and we assume that Bernier starts slow into the season again same like this season then the season will be over in November.

Should have traded him yesterday.

This game fore Bernier reminds me of the Nashville game for Reimer last year. Reimer can in relief for Bernier and then the rest of the team just quit and Reimer allowed 6 goals in 2 periods. Statically that one game really affected his stats and made it an uphill battle in terms of comparing his stats to Bernier. Unfortunately for Bernier his stats were already awful coming into this game and he is not likely to see much playing time now. Bernier fans are not going to like this but here is what I mean

Right now he has a sv % of .896. Let's assume he was granted another start and posted a 30 save shutout. Then lets assume he got the next start and posted another 30 save shutout. The lets assume he played a 3rd, 4th, 5th,6th, 7th, and 8th consecutive game with a 30 save shutout. That would be 240 consecutive saves!

If that fairy tale dream came true he would have a very nice save % of .927 which is roughly where Reimer will finish up this year if he falters a bit here and there.

All along in this debate so many people would say you cannot pick and choose stats and the Bernier fans are going to have to live by the same rules now. Rgarless of how well Bernier plays Reimer fans can simply compare save % stats, just like last year regardless of the fact that Reimer was better the 2nd half the Bernier fans simply threw out stats as if that was the be all end all.

....this is not even acceptable by backup standards

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Bernier got lit up last night, but 2 of the 7 weren't his fault. I hope he doesn't lose his confidence again, but it looks like Bernier should be the back up or at most the B of 1A, 1B system.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Bernier got lit up last night, but 2 of the 7 weren't his fault. I hope he doesn't lose his confidence again, but it looks like Bernier should be the back up or at most the B of 1A, 1B system.

Right.... 2 out of the 7. Funny thing is, I actually think people believe what their posting and not actually trolling.

Anywho, carry on.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Right.... 2 out of the 7. Funny thing is, I actually think people believe what their posting and not actually trolling.

Anywho, carry on.

What do you mean? Do you think more were his fault or fewer? The first and fifth weren't his fault in my opinion, but if you think more ok, carry on....

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
It's like they lulled him to sleep with the 7 shot first and then, boom, the floodgates opened.

7 goals on 24 shots over the final two periods is abysmal.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
No questin, Reimer. There are 2 b2b games before the deadline so Bernier should get at least 2 starts in the next 8 games.

There are two back to back games in January. None in February.

The 2016 NHL trade deadline will fall on Mon. Feb 29 (keep in mind that 2016 is a leap year). The final day of the regular season is Sat. April 9.

Code:
WED, 13 JAN 2016	BLUE JACKETS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:00 PM	SN	TICKETS  
FRI, 15 JAN 2016	BLACKHAWKS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:00 PM	TSN4, NHLN-US	TICKETS  
[B][COLOR="Blue"]SAT, 16 JAN 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	BRUINS
7:00 PM	CBC, CITY[/COLOR][/B]	 
TUE, 19 JAN 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	FLYERS
7:00 PM	TSN4, TVAS	 
THU, 21 JAN 2016	HURRICANES	MAPLE LEAFS
7:30 PM	SNO	TICKETS  
SAT, 23 JAN 2016	CANADIENS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:00 PM	CBC, NHLN-US, TVAS	TICKETS  
TUE, 26 JAN 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	PANTHERS
7:30 PM	TSN4	 
[B][COLOR="blue"]WED, 27 JAN 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	LIGHTNING
7:00 PM	TVAS, SN[/COLOR][/B]	 
FEBRUARY 2016
DATE	VISITOR	HOME	TIME (ET)	TV NETWORK/RESULTS	
TICKETS
TUE, 2 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	BRUINS
7:00 PM	TSN4, TVAS	 
THU, 4 FEB 2016	DEVILS	MAPLE LEAFS
SAT, 6 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	SENATORS
7:00 PM	CBC, TVAS, SN	 
TUE, 9 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	FLAMES
9:00 PM	SNO	 
THU, 11 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	OILERS
9:00 PM	TSN4	 
SAT, 13 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	CANUCKS
7:00 PM	HNIC	 
MON, 15 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	BLACKHAWKS
8:30 PM	TSN4	 
THU, 18 FEB 2016	RANGERS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:30 PM	TSN4	TICKETS  
SAT, 20 FEB 2016	FLYERS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:00 PM	HNIC	TICKETS  
TUE, 23 FEB 2016	PREDATORS	MAPLE LEAFS
7:30 PM	TSN4, TVAS	TICKETS  
THU, 25 FEB 2016	HURRICANES	MAPLE LEAFS
SAT, 27 FEB 2016	MAPLE LEAFS	CANADIENS
7:00 PM	HNIC, TVAS	 
MON, 29 FEB 2016	LIGHTNING	MAPLE LEAFS
7:30 PM	TSN4, TVAS	TICKETS

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Anywho, carry on.

I've learned that if it isn't a bad goal, if its a regular goal (or a bloody 2 on 0) that depending on who is in net should have stopped it no matter what.

Price let's in a 2 on 0. Well it was a 2 on 0, what could he do? Bernier. His positioning was off.

Hey he's let in some stinkers and he's been awful on many occasions this year. But its come to the point where because its Bernier, any goal he lets in is a problem. Its a shutout or bust.

I said it last night at 4-0, none of those were him. Price would have let those in too. 5 and either 6 or 7, can't quite remember, those could have been stopped (though one of those might of been where he was tangled up).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad