Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've learned that if it isn't a bad goal, if its a regular goal (or a bloody 2 on 0) that depending on who is in net should have stopped it no matter what.

Price let's in a 2 on 0. Well it was a 2 on 0, what could he do? Bernier. His positioning was off.

Hey he's let in some stinkers and he's been awful on many occasions this year. But its come to the point where because its Bernier, any goal he lets in is a problem. Its a shutout or bust.

I said it last night at 4-0, none of those were him. Price would have let those in too. 5 and either 6 or 7, can't quite remember, those could have been stopped (though one of those might of been where he was tangled up).

I remember thinking this as well.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I've learned that if it isn't a bad goal, if its a regular goal (or a bloody 2 on 0) that depending on who is in net should have stopped it no matter what.

Price let's in a 2 on 0. Well it was a 2 on 0, what could he do? Bernier. His positioning was off.

Hey he's let in some stinkers and he's been awful on many occasions this year. But its come to the point where because its Bernier, any goal he lets in is a problem. Its a shutout or bust.

I said it last night at 4-0, none of those were him. Price would have let those in too. 5 and either 6 or 7, can't quite remember, those could have been stopped (though one of those might of been where he was tangled up).

I really hate the old none of those were on the goalie logic, yes his defense let him down, yes he was put into an impossible position but these aren't saves that no one can make. A big part of a goalies job is to be able to stop those, just like a player sometimes scores with a really low value shot we expect goalies to be able to stop high value shots.

Bernier is not why we lost this game but he didn't help us win it either, goalies have to make those 10 bell saves sometimes to keep their team in it and last night Bernier didn't.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013

Same could be said when Reimer was the back up the past two seasons. I don't blame Bernier for the Sharks game... result would have been the same with Reimer, as would unfair criticism in this forum. I personally can't wait till both are gone and we can start fresh.

I'd like to see Reimer remain, but the haters are never going to be happy even if he plays well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm the biggest Team Reimer man but this game wasn't on Bernie at all.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Then you should keep Nylander and all the others in the AHL because the season will be over in November. I think they don't want that but we will see what they will do.

So?

Don't underestimate the importance of NHL experience, even in a losing environment.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In reality though, we know that management and Babcock are not going to lose on purpose. So in that case, handing the starting job back to Bernier next season, unearned, makes no sense.

Let's think about it this way: if Reimer is putting up top 10 numbers and we trade him for a 2nd, then in the summer trade that 2nd for another goalie who didn't post top 10 numbers (because those don't get made available by anyone but the Leafs) who might be a worse option than Reimer, does that make any sense?

It makes perfect sense if the belief is that Reimer is leaving in the off-season. Why keep a guy if he's off, if you can grab a pick for him instead?

And if you aren't convinced that Bernier can be your #1, then you probably have to throw a pick at someone to try and land a goaltender.

Personally - I'd move any and all pending FA pieces before the deadline, and then use a picks / prospect package to try and land one of Anaheim's goaltenders.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
So?

Don't underestimate the importance of NHL experience, even in a losing environment.

Don't really agree with this, look at how long it's taken Edmonton to get off the ground. Culture does matter, and losing doesn't help create a winning atmosphere (obviously haha)

It makes perfect sense if the belief is that Reimer is leaving in the off-season. Why keep a guy if he's off, if you can grab a pick for him instead?

And if you aren't convinced that Bernier can be your #1, then you probably have to throw a pick at someone to try and land a goaltender.

Personally - I'd move any and all pending FA pieces before the deadline, and then use a picks / prospect package to try and land one of Anaheim's goaltenders.

If we're gunning for an Anaheim goalie, I would definitely want Gibson. Andersen doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to what we currently have (in my opinion). Thing is, Anaheim isn't giving up Gibson unless the package is very, very good. At that point I wonder if it would be better to just try and draft and develop a goalie, and save our good trading chips to bolster the blue line. I still believe you don't need an elite goalie to win a cup. Just a goalie that gets hot at the right time and a team that plays defensively sound, mistake-free hockey.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Don't really agree with this, look at how long it's taken Edmonton to get off the ground. Culture does matter, and losing doesn't help create a winning atmosphere (obviously haha)

If we're gunning for an Anaheim goalie, I would definitely want Gibson. Andersen doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to what we currently have (in my opinion). Thing is, Anaheim isn't giving up Gibson unless the package is very, very good. At that point I wonder if it would be better to just try and draft and develop a goalie, and save our good trading chips to bolster the blue line. I still believe you don't need an elite goalie to win a cup. Just a goalie that gets hot at the right time and a team that plays defensively sound, mistake-free hockey.

I think you need a good goalie, not an elite goalie like you mentioned. But the key is to NOT have a goalie prone to mental gaffes or you sink the entire ship.

Anyone remember Patrick Lalime against us in game 7? That was the Senators series to win. Two awful goals in the first period and they could never get back in it.

And that's with the Sens having a great regular season too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think you need a good goalie, not an elite goalie like you mentioned. But the key is to NOT have a goalie prone to mental gaffes or you sink the entire ship.

Anyone remember Patrick Lalime against us in game 7? That was the Senators series to win. Two awful goals in the first period and they could never get back in it.

And that's with the Sens having a great regular season too.

not to mention Fleury. I mean the entire Hockey World kinda holds their collective breath on that one so to speak, because you never know if you're getting "Good Fleury" or well... Fleury.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I'm the biggest Team Reimer man but this game wasn't on Bernie at all.

Agreed. After a shutout against Anaheim (which is not hard to pull off this season), a hard fought loss against LA, and now a blowout against SJ?

Bernier was left hanging to dry this game. Was he stellar? No. Was he bad? No.

How as Hunwick? Our highly touted FA signing this game?

BALLS.

Which seems to be an ongoing trend.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
Agreed. After a shutout against Anaheim (which is not hard to pull off this season), a hard fought loss against LA, and now a blowout against SJ?

Bernier was left hanging to dry this game. Was he stellar? No. Was he bad? No.

How as Hunwick? Our highly touted FA signing this game?

BALLS.

Which seems to be an ongoing trend.

What???

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
:laugh: nice.

i'm just having some fun with ya. i get it you're a reimer fan, but lets keep the expectations real. :)

true. lol. im sorry if i come across negatively, im just an overly zealous leaf fan and loyal reimer supporter LOL. tbh im just thankful that i can have a place to go to talk with equally passionate fans. we all want to see this franchise return to its former glory years. its just frustrating sometimes.

the leafs seem damned if they make the playoffs (6 shots total vs the devils never forget) and when they tank they cant even seem to do that right.

regardless of our differences, im chanelling my inner post game interview reimer here lol, i think you all are very knowledgeable leaf fans, the true die hards come here and debate. win or lose.

i consider you all my blue and white blooded brothers except daisy jane lol. its simply a pleasure, nay, a privilege to discuss the leafs all day erry day. everyone. except the bernier fans :sarcasm:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Quoting this because I know everyone is coming here to blame him on goal #3, and possibly the first two as well depending on the poster.

mikebel111*

Bernier was terrific again. I know its all Bernier's fault Marincin gave it away but sorry guys it doesnt work that way.

Bernier showed again why he is the better goalie

I wonder if Reimer would get blamed on that goal but probably not

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Boston had a ton of great chances tonight. Could have easily been 5-2 if Bernier hadn't had a very good game. If we'd got the late goal instead of the Bruins, he'd have been 1st star.

Leaf Warrior

Jan 16, 2015
Bernier was terrific again. I know its all Bernier's fault Marincin gave it away but sorry guys it doesnt work that way.

Excuses, excuses for Bernier.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

I wonder if Reimer got blamed for the Chara goal last time against the Bruins. Oh wait, he did.

Reimer sucks. It's just a conspiracy that Bernier's stats indicate he is one of the worst goalies in the league.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Some who post in this thread need to find objectivity. At the least remember that both goalies are ours. If they do well we can trade them for a profit or retain them to back stop our team.
All goalies have good and bad games. All goalies have hot and cold streaks.
Why is it that some do not acknowledge when the goalie, that is not the one they like, has a good game or rip on him after a good performance?
This is for both sides, Reimer fans and Bernier fans, and I'm not refering to all posters. We all here in the Toronto Maple Leafs forum are cheering for the same team. We should be able to discuss who we prefer and why in an objective manner.
I actually came here and read the post and then watched the game in replay. I was expecting at leas 1 softie. I watched the boston feed and they thought Bernier was great. I can't peg a single goal on him tonight.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I thought Bernier played well. I was debating whether Babcock should have started Bernier against Chicago and Reimer against Boston, if that would have changed the final outcomes. But I understand that Babcock wanted to play Reimer against the tougher team and Bernier against a tough team but has a history of playing well against Boston.

You can't fault Bernier on the goals today. I think he let in probably one softie, but otherwise the defense's was leaving Boston open and letting them in front of Bernier. They should not even be allowed to be in his crease. He kept the game close and we almost took this one, it's too bad they couldn't win one in the b2b but what can you do.

GO LEAFS GO

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Team Jacob rocks. Team Robert is better. Oh wait, this is not a Twilight thread.
For real, Bernier made some big saves tonight, esp., a couple on Spooner. I really don't know how you can blame him on the third goal. It was a routine play that Maricin f**ked up and it was a great shot. I would have said the same if Reimer was in net.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I was debating whether Babcock should have started Bernier against Chicago and Reimer against Boston

You can't fault Bernier on the goals today. I think he let in probably one softie

Me too, but in the end it didn't matter. Chicago had all PP goals essentially, you just can't take penalties against them.

I don't fault Bernier either, but one softie and you lose the game. What looks bad is that all goals were in the first or in the last minute, that shouldn't happen, still enough work for Babcock to improve on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad