Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Can't be your team if you only have four months left with the franchise.

In all seriousness though, you don't hang your hat on a goalie with an .894 save % and let a guy go who's putting up elite numbers. Nonis might, but most competent managers hoping to take steps next season would not.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
In all seriousness though, you don't hang your hat on a goalie with an .894 save % and let a guy go who's putting up elite numbers. Nonis might, but most competent managers hoping to take steps next season would not.

They will probably try to sign Reimer and trade or waive Bernier.

I'd be comfortable with a two year deal, but I bet Reimer gets more than that on the open market and good for him.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

I'd be comfortable with a two year deal, but I bet Reimer gets more than that on the open market and good for him.

Don't think so, just my 2 cents. Don't think either of them are that important to this franchise to be honest. They're on the verge of a change, and both those guys probably aren't going to be a part of it. They'll let them both go at the same time, bring a guy up from the minors and maybe sign a small deal with another starter in the league somewhere.

I don't believe for a second that Reimer is in the long term plans.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

And that's the thing. It's going to be his choice to make ultimately, and I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

I don't see how management could be confident entering next season with Bernier penciled in for 65 games. Something has to give with the goalie situation for sure.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Don't think so, just my 2 cents. Don't think either of them are that important to this franchise to be honest. They're on the verge of a change, and both those guys probably aren't going to be a part of it. They'll let them both go at the same time, bring a guy up from the minors and maybe sign a small deal with another starter in the league somewhere.

2 years of Reimer isn't long term. It's moot because Reimer probably won't sign that deal but having Reimer for two more years while bringing up the next guy isn't a longterm commitment.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
2 years of Reimer isn't long term. It's moot because Reimer probably won't sign that deal but having Reimer for two more years while bringing up the next guy isn't a longterm commitment.

I guess I should have said "any" term ;)

My hunch is that they want both these guys out of here so it can be put to rest and turn the page. All these years and none of them have been able to prove anything - we're still in the "goalie controversy" as if it was 3 years ago lol.. yeah I think they'll try to kill this scenario and move forward without either of them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

If Reimer is playing this well for the Leafs and proves that he can keep it up, they will probably keep him. There's no guarantee a new goalie would perform, and it would be dumb to give up assets for a capable starting goalie if Reimer can prove that he can do that job perfectly fine

Bernier probably doesn't have as much of a chance. It's a case of what have you done for me lately, and Bernier has not been good.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
Can't be your team if you only have four months left with the franchise.

Let's assume the Leafs let Reimer go (or trade him) can management let Bernier return next year as the undisputed #1? It's a scary thought, even if under that scenario Bernier has a good season you cannot have confidence to sign him to a deal of any length and you also have to consider that the team needs to be rewarded for good play...can't have shaky unreliable goaltending stunting development of all of the other players. TONIGHT WAS NOT BERNIERS FAULT, but the past 12 months have revealed many concerns.

In order to keep Reimer the Leafs would have to get Bernier off the team immediately and reach out to Reimers agent to resign him. Under no scenario does Reimer choose to come back if Bernier is still here. Oh the irony that previous management gave up way to quickly on Reimer and he may (or may not) go on to be a force and we are left Toskala 2.0

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

My hunch is that they want both these guys out of here so it can be put to rest and turn the page. All these years and none of them have been able to prove anything - we're still in the "goalie controversy" as if it was 3 years ago lol.. yeah I think they'll try to kill this scenario and move forward without either of them.

I hear you, but if Reimer ends the season around this level of play he would have proven something and they'd for sure try to sign him.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Who said long term?

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
If Reimer is playing this well for the Leafs and proves that he can keep it up, they will probably keep him. There's no guarantee a new goalie would perform, and it would be dumb to give up assets for a capable starting goalie if Reimer can prove that he can do that job perfectly fine

Bernier probably doesn't have as much of a chance. It's a case of what have you done for me lately, and Bernier has not been good.

It's gonna take another injury to Reimer in order for Bernier to get 2 consecutive injuries. Once the trade deadline comes Bernier will get his #1 spot back.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

And you have absolutely no basis for that. Just because you think it, doesn't mean they do.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I hear you, but if Reimer ends the season around this level of play he would have proven something and they'd for sure try to sign him.

it's just going to carry on man. It's been how many years now. When does the franchise finally pull the plug on it - move them both out. One of em has a hot stretch, then a bad game or two, then they switch 'er up. The 2nd guy goes on a roll, loses 3 in a row, then they switch 'er up. I was 3 years younger (or more?) when this started and in those 3 years, not a thing has changed. 3 years is more than long enough to determine that they aren't going to run with either of these guys so be fair to them, cut them loose so they can have a chance to flourish somewhere else, and deal with the tending situation after that. All's I'm sayin is that when (if ever) this team truly competes a year or a few years from now - neither of those guys are going to be the starter. Vancouver had this same issue a while back (Luongo/Shneider) and they dealt with it pretty fast. Why are the Leafs sleeping on this one? My only guess is that both goalies are just bridging the gap while they assess everything.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
it's just going to carry on man. It's been how many years now. When does the franchise finally pull the plug on it - move them both out. One of em has a hot stretch, then a bad game or two, then they switch 'er up. The 2nd guy goes on a roll, loses 3 in a row, then they switch 'er up. I was 3 years younger (or more?) when this started and in those 3 years, not a thing has changed. 3 years is more than long enough to determine that they aren't going to run with either of these guys so be fair to them, cut them loose so they can have a chance to flourish somewhere else, and deal with the tending situation after that. All's I'm sayin is that when (if ever) this team truly competes a year or a few years from now - neither of those guys are going to be the starter. Vancouver had this same issue a while back (Luongo/Shneider) and they dealt with it pretty fast. Why are the Leafs sleeping on this one? My only guess is that both goalies are just bridging the gap while they assess everything.

Vancouver screwed themselves (they got neither Lou or Schneider while both of them are doing well elsewhere...Leafs look to have done the same.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think Babs favours Bernier over JR long term, and I wont be surprised to see Reims leave with Bernier still here next season.

I still think there's more chance of Bernier coming good long term over Reimer, and unless we can land ourselves a real good goaltender in the summer, I think we'll just see Sparks step up as back-up next year.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
I love Bernier. I think he is on a very rough road. It will be a miracle if he comes back. Good luck JB I still think you potential is there but I don't think it will be easy for you to get another chance in the nhl.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Vancouver screwed themselves (they got neither Lou or Schneider while both of them are doing well elsewhere...Leafs look to have done the same.

Bernier and Reimer are not as good as Luongo or Schneider though, and I don't see either of them being great on another team

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

no because Vancouver is on the downcycle while the Leafs are believed to be on the up and up. They need to get their system in place for the next year or 2 or 3 and then tweak it. Half the guys on the current roster are all gonna be gone in a few years anyways. Right now it's just another temporary period until they can build some kind of a foundation. Some of these guys will stay for sure, but a bunch of them (including both goalies) are gonna be gone.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Bernier and Reimer are not as good as Luongo or Schneider though, and I don't see either of them being great on another team

right. they're gonna be backups somewhere else. Maybe a starter for a while, but the careers they're going to have are just going to be like the common goalie's career- a utility guy. Hot for a while, then cold for a while. Not a starter for the long run. They never have been - so why would they now. You know, Ray Emery for example - hot flashes, cold flashes. Moved around a bit. But never a cornerstone.

champs*

As good as these two goalies are sometimes, they will never be #1 goalies.. my opinion

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
As good as these two goalies are sometimes, they will never be #1 goalies.. my opinion

the last guy we had was Belfour. Or Giguere if you want to count him.

Those 2 aside, every Leaf goalie we've had up in here has faded into obscurity. Moved around, traded, delegated to backups somewhere else, then sent down to the minors and not heard from again. There's quite a list. Why is anybody thinking that Bernier or Reimer are destined for anything different? They're not, they're going to be moved out and then become drifters on a few more teams and then out they go. That's they type of goalies these guys are- just like all those before them. We believed in Toskala, or Gustavvson, or whoever is on that list - and where are any of those guys now.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
the last guy we had was Belfour. Or Giguere if you want to count him.

Those 2 aside, every Leaf goalie we've had up in here has faded into obscurity. Moved around, traded, delegated to backups somewhere else, then sent down to the minors and not heard from again. There's quite a list. Why is anybody thinking that Bernier or Reimer are destined for anything different? They're not, they're going to be moved out and then become drifters on a few more teams and then out they go. That's they type of goalies these guys are- just like all those before them. We believed in Toskala, or Gustavvson, or whoever is on that list - and where are any of those guys now.

Do you think we'll draft a guy? Because you need about 4-5 years to develop a draft pick. Or does Sparks hold the fort for a while?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad