Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
LOL yes. That's not confidence, it's irrational over confidence.

i'm a leaf fan. comes with the territory :sarcasm:

(im the same dude that started the 'leafs will make da playoffz' thread)

And dont look now, but Reimer is on pace to finish the season as #3 on the leafs all time list of most saves by a leaf netminder.

Bernier isnt doing bad either, they are both pretty high in the save percentage categories. Though im not sure how much of that is affected by the modern age of goalie equipment and there being no Gretzky lol.

Reimer is one win away from 10th spot in all time wins by a leaf goalie.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/leaders_career.html

Last edited:

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i'm a leaf fan. comes with the territory :sarcasm:

(im the same dude that started the 'leafs will make da playoffz' thread)

And dont look now, but Reimer is on pace to finish the season as #3 on the leafs all time list of most saves by a leaf netminder.

Bernier isnt doing bad either, they are both pretty high in the save percentage categories. Though im not sure how much of that is affected by the modern age of goalie equipment and there being no Gretzky lol.

oh of course. that changes every thing. :sarcasm:

andrew raycorft holds the record for the most wins in a season by any leafs goalie at 37 wins. is he also a leafs legend that belongs in the group of Potvin, Cujo and Belfour?

:laugh:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
lol...i suppose a legacy of a leafs goalie is determined by # of times they lead the team to a playoffs berth.

Potvin - 4
Cujo - 4
Belfour - 2
Reimer - 1

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
lol...i suppose a legacy of a leafs goalie is determined by # of times they lead the team to a playoffs berth.

Potvin - 4
Cujo - 4
Belfour - 2
Reimer - 1

:laugh: nice.

i'm just having some fun with ya. i get it you're a reimer fan, but lets keep the expectations real. :)

marquee

Apr 7, 2011

Potvin - 4
Cujo - 4
Belfour - 2
Reimer - 1

In a lockout year. Even emery had a good season than.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
:naughty:
Daisy - ive been watching Reimer since he made his NHL debut and Bernier since he joined the Leafs. What i have seen so far is that Bernier has shown spectacular ability to make great saves, anywhere else, he would be a fine starter. In TORONTO, everybody especially the goalies are under a microscope, so his weaknesses will be magnified to death.

I believe Bernier is a capable starter, however, the times he has given up bad goals have been in his favour. Reimer on the other hand, has shown his character throughout his time here, in the highs (ending the leafs 9 year playoff drought) and especially during the lows (being pulled too early, the team collapsing last season, to being relegated to back up).

Im a goaltender too. We are a rare breed. Being a successful goalie on the Leafs is like being the top 1%. I can count on my one hand how many great goalies we have had in the last 30 years. POTVIN. CUJO. BELFOUR. I can confidently say that Reimer is the 4th. There's no need to look for an "elite" goaltender. Reimer is leading the NHL in save percentage. He played the Stars twice.

Wow lol

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Kind of knew that Bernier would do bad against San Jose even though none of the goals were his fault. Its why I expected a .915 sv % from him, because there is no way you can sustain a high sv % with the talent of roster in front of him no matter how good Babcock is.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
WHERE THE BERNIE HATERS AT

WOOT WOOT

WHERE THE BERNIE HA-

oh wait

...I think I hear them coming ;)

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Anyone who Blames Bernier at all tonight (on the 4 goals so far) should get a lifetime ban from the boards.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm staying far, far away from this thread tonight. #TeamReimer be frothing at the mouth.

After my post it got kinda rough. Goals were a little weaker but still not awful. Maybe one was truly bad. In the end no one looks good giving up a touchdown. But I stand by up to the 4th little could be said.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
After my post it got kinda rough. Goals were a little weaker but still not awful. Maybe one was truly bad. In the end no one looks good giving up a touchdown. But I stand by up to the 4th little could be said.

So no lifetime ban?

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Kind of knew that Bernier would do bad against San Jose even though none of the goals were his fault. Its why I expected a .915 sv % from him, because there is no way you can sustain a high sv % with the talent of roster in front of him no matter how good Babcock is.

But wait. Reimer let in one goal vs Boston, a Chara slap shot from the dot and some on here were all over him.
The goaltending discussions on this forum are a cluster*uck, maybe we'll know better what we have when we put a team in front of them.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

man. the bar must be really low if Raycroft holds the record and Reimer is making noise in all-time wins by Leaf goalies

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm very happy that Bernier gets this chance to restore his name a bit, but it doesn't really change my opinion on what we should do with him. Consistency is key for any goaltender you want to keep around long-term, we can't have a goaltender who might implode if things go wrong. Might as well save the cap space in that case.

Very prophetic. Yes, the team did not show up at all tonight, but once Bernier allowed the 4th goal, he totally fell apart too and it turned into another game where he lost control.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

Is this for real?

No one is hanging the loss on him; the team didn't show up. But good God, re-watch goals 4, 5, 6, 7 and tell me you don't see a couple terrible rebounds and a total loss of focus.

These games where Bernier totally crumbles happen too often, regardless of the piss poor team play in front of him tonight.

Blame Babs' system all you like, but the bottom line is if Bernier can't sustain a .915 save percentage, that indicates that he is a below average goalie. If Reimer can do it, Bernier should be able to as well, no?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Is this for real?

No one is hanging the loss on him; the team didn't show up. But good God, re-watch goals 4, 5, 6, 7 and tell me you don't see a couple terrible rebounds and a total loss of focus.

These games where Bernier totally crumbles happen too often, regardless of the piss poor team play in front of him tonight.

Blame Babs' system all you like, but the bottom line is if Bernier can't sustain a .915 save percentage, that indicates that he is a below average goalie. If Reimer can do it, Bernier should be able to as well, no?

No Reimer plays behind a better team so it doesn't apply to him! :)

If Reimer can't sustain a great SV PCT it's because he sucks. If Bernier can't sustain it, it's because the team sucks.

It's the same story over and over again. There's no consistency in the defense of Bernier, when he comes back from injury he was rushed. When Reimer is playing though injury, it's just Reimer playing poorly.

The fact is Babcock seems to be fair with chances. I thought Bernier should have started tonight. He seems to play him against the weaker teams and he was coming off a shutout.

It's Reimer's team. I think you'll see Bernier play back to backs but he'll settle into the backup role.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

If Reimer can't sustain a great SV PCT it's because he sucks. If Bernier can't sustain it, it's because the team sucks.

It's the same story over and over again. There's no consistency in the defense of Bernier, when he comes back from injury he was rushed. When Reimer is playing though injury, it's just Reimer playing poorly.

The fact is Babcock seems to be fair with chances. I thought Bernier should have started tonight. He seems to play him against the weaker teams and he was coming off a shutout.

It's Reimer's team. I think you'll see Bernier play back to backs but he'll settle into the backup role.

Can't be your team if you only have four months left with the franchise.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

Yes indeed.

Bernier deserved the start tonight for sure, and it's unfortunate that the team didn't show up. But that doesn't mean we can't examine Bernier's game and note where things went wrong for him personally, just as we do for everyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad