Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes. He said that if there is an injury at forward the coach has said that Burmi is at the top of the list to be added to the team.

For those who missed the interview some other interesting things he mentioned: he said that when Burmi came back from Russia for the lockout season his heart was still in Russia and he doubts there was anything Noel could have done to make him stay. He also said that whether Burmi comes back depends upon if the Jets are willing to pay him, Maurice being the coach has opened the door but according to him at the end of the day AK Bars will be willing to overpay to keep Burmi there and that the Jets would have to beat their offer and overpay to get him back. He doubts that there is an NHL team willing to pay Burmi as much as he stands to make in the KHL. He said that he sees Burmi going the way of Nikita Filatov

Yea If Burmi wants KHL money to play in the NHL he will be finishing out his career there which is his right.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
But Burmistrov didn't play in Russia during the lockout. How could he come back from there when he was in St. Johns?

I think the guy meant coming back from Russia from the summer break and misspoke on playing there

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yes. He said that if there is an injury at forward the coach has said that Burmi is at the top of the list to be added to the team.

For those who missed the interview some other interesting things he mentioned: he said that when Burmi came back from Russia for the lockout season his heart was still in Russia and he doubts there was anything Noel could have done to make him stay. He also said that whether Burmi comes back depends upon if the Jets are willing to pay him, Maurice being the coach has opened the door but according to him at the end of the day AK Bars will be willing to overpay to keep Burmi there and that the Jets would have to beat their offer and overpay to get him back. He doubts that there is an NHL team willing to pay Burmi as much as he stands to make in the KHL. He said that he sees Burmi going the way of Nikita Filatov

Filatov was a total flub and all his potential was offensive.

Burmistrov can play in the NHL and can play a defensive role. I'm really happy he's finding his offensive game over in Russia as he can hopefully bring that back with him.

I still remain optimistic that he will return to the NHL one day.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I hopped in my vehicle this morning and jumped into the middle of the illegal curve hockey show on 1290 and they were interviewing a sport corespondent from Russia and it was facinating. He discussed Burmi (only caught the end if it), Telegin, the Semin snub, the pressure of Russia to win the oly's, and issue of outisde pressure on Russia visa vie the laws around gay rights and the Olympics. It was a really cool interview and must hear.

When it is archived I will have to listen to the entire interview.

Link?

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Panthers fan, just wondering if you guys think you'll re-sign Mark Stuart? I don't get to see a lot of him but I do notice his toughness. Could you guys give a little scouting report?

-ghoste

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Panthers fan, just wondering if you guys think you'll re-sign Mark Stuart? I don't get to see a lot of him but I do notice his toughness. Could you guys give a little scouting report?

-ghoste

He MIGHT be resigned.
Though he probably shouldn't be.

He started the year looking brutal, but after an injury he's come back looking much better.

Good leader, tough as nails.
Not much foot speed and difficulty clearing the zone.

If you're looking for a bottom pairing leader he's not a bad choice.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

-ghoste

Hopefully not.

Even more hopeful that we could deal him at the deadline to a team looking for some leadership depth.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
He MIGHT be resigned.
Though he probably shouldn't be.

He started the year looking brutal, but after an injury he's come back looking much better.

Good leader, tough as nails.
Not much foot speed and difficulty clearing the zone.

If you're looking for a bottom pairing leader he's not a bad choice.

no he hasn't he's still terrible

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
no he hasn't he's still terrible

He's incredibly bad. Needs to make a 4 foot pass? Makes a pass 4 feet in the air. Needs to backhand the puck around the boards, flubs a forehand to the opposition. Needs a crisp pass to one of 3 open forwards on an uncontested breakout? ices it. This is Mark Stuart's unauthorized biography.

Last edited:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
He's incredibly bad. Needs to make a 4 foot pass? Makes a pass 4 feet in the air. Needs to backhand the puck around the boards, flubs a forehand to the opposition. Needs a crisp pass to one of 3 open forwards on an uncontested breakout? ices it. This us Mark Stuart's unauthorized biography.

he does this thing that I didn't pay particular attention to before but can't help but notice in rewatchings

when he chases guys in the Dzone he will give them a shove or 2 in the back - in doing this he's actually creating space and opening up passing lanes for the villain and making it hard for teammates to rotate properly

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I still really like Stuart. He is all heart and soul. He is almost always in the correct position, he picks his positions to jump up at his own blue line and disturb the incoming forwards (I think Trouba has really picked this up from Stuart and has been really effective at it), he's one of our better PK players. He makes opposing players pay a physical price, will drop the mitts with almost anyone. Unfortunately all that doesn't matter too much when he has to play the puck. It's like he is handling a grenade.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Stuart's been alright. His puck skills definitely suck but other than that I think he's been a pretty good defensive defenseman. He at least makes guys pay the price. I think he's a good 6-7th D option. We don't have any players making high end money so even with the cap going up, I think a 1-2 year deal around $1.5M is something we can afford. The better our depth, the better chance we have to make the post-season next year.

Same goes for Pardy and Ellerbe. They all bring something decent to the table, might as well keep the depth we do have. There won't be much out there in free agency worth overpaying for.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I still really like Stuart. He is all heart and soul. He is almost always in the correct position, he picks his positions to jump up at his own blue line and disturb the incoming forwards (I think Trouba has really picked this up from Stuart and has been really effective at it), he's one of our better PK players. He makes opposing players pay a physical price, will drop the mitts with almost anyone. Unfortunately all that doesn't matter too much when he has to play the puck. It's like he is handling a grenade.

I agree. He's a guy who regularly pays the price, earns his ice packs, stands up opposing players at the blue line better than anyone on the team. Stuart is our defensive leader. People talk about his puck handling, but what he does is make space for the good skating puck movers we have paired him with (Bogosian, Redmond, Trouba). His turnovers aren't any more egregious than the regular Buff, Clitsome, Ellerby gaffes. He's a good complimentary d-man. Definitely think he is more integral than Clitsome on the d corps. Watching Ellerby nearly break his ankle yesterday blocking a shot, I would say that if he is moved we have a hole to fill on our d corps that isn't available internally.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

This isn't correct. His positioning could still use some work and we've had goals scored on us because he stood up at the blueline and stopped the puck carrier, but not the puck. If you're not creating a turnover or an offside by standing up at the blueline you're more than likely creating an odd-man situation in your own zone.

This whole "pays the price" thing is overrated because you can only do so when your own team doesn't have the puck. All of Stuart's "skills" involve having the other team control the play and that can only result in goals against, not goals for. If his shot blocking and hitting isn't creating turnovers it's next to useless. Not to mention how much he turns it over so that he can go back to blocking shots and hitting while we can't get the puck out of our zone.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This isn't correct. His positioning could still use some work and we've had goals scored on us because he stood up at the blueline and stopped the puck carrier, but not the puck. If you're not creating a turnover or an offside by standing up at the blueline you're more than likely creating an odd-man situation in your own zone.

This whole "pays the price" thing is overrated because you can only do so when your own team doesn't have the puck. All of Stuart's "skills" involve having the other team control the play and that can only result in goals against, not goals for. If his shot blocking and hitting isn't creating turnovers it's next to useless. Not to mention how much he turns it over so that he can go back to blocking shots and hitting while we can't get the puck out of our zone.

If you are a 1st unit penalty killer on a team that can't win a defensive zone faceoff unless Jokinen is taking the draw, the probability is that the only skills that are going to get you the puck back are the ability to block shots, or the ability to separate the man from the puck in the defensive zone, and an active stick with good positioning. Nobody on this team clears the crease as effectively as Stu. Replace Stuart on the 1st unit PK with Ellerby (or Clitsome) for 3-5 minutes, and in the defensive zone in a one goal game, we are likely on the wrong side of the margin. There is no glory in Stuart's game, but every Cup winner has one, or two players, who fulfill the role. Separating the man from the puck is generally effective if a team is sound positionally, especially centres. Clitsome and Byfuglien regularly gave up odd man rushes because they made bad reads, usually in the offensive zone. I haven't seen Stuart culpable of that in my observations, but I would say those open ice hits have created puck retrieval more than territorial loss. Also makes a player think twice when trying to enter the zone. I don't know how anyone can say that Stuart-Trouba aren't effective. Both Noel and Maurice have relied on them. I think there is simply a misunderstanding of the roles a team needs to succeed. The Oilers are a great example of skill not producing results because of a lack of effective role players.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
If you are a 1st unit penalty killer on a team that can't win a defensive zone faceoff unless Jokinen is taking the draw, the probability is that the only skills that are going to get you the puck back are the ability to block shots, or the ability to separate the man from the puck in the defensive zone, and an active stick with good positioning. Nobody on this team clears the crease as effectively as Stu. Replace Stuart on the 1st unit PK with Ellerby (or Clitsome) for 3-5 minutes, and in the defensive zone in a one goal game, we are likely on the wrong side of the margin. There is no glory in Stuart's game, but every Cup winner has one, or two players, who fulfill the role. Separating the man from the puck is generally effective if a team is sound positionally, especially centres. Clitsome and Byfuglien regularly gave up odd man rushes because they made bad reads, usually in the offensive zone. I haven't seen Stuart culpable of that in my observations, but I would say those open ice hits have created puck retrieval more than territorial loss. Also makes a player think twice when trying to enter the zone. I don't know how anyone can say that Stuart-Trouba aren't effective. Both Noel and Maurice have relied on them. I think there is simply a misunderstanding of the roles a team needs to succeed. The Oilers are a great example of skill not producing results because of a lack of effective role players.

Firstly I'd like to point out that Stuart is actually one of our worst PKers and Clitsome is one of the best. The stats also support this. Seriously watch the PK. Staurt's decision making can be slow and he often has trouble clearing the zone. Oftentimes all he does is try to pin the puck against the boards which literally only delays the opponents getting the puck each time.

Then there's this:
the only skills that are going to get you the puck back are the ability to block shots, or the ability to separate the man from the puck in the defensive zone, and an active stick with good positioning.

All of which is true. None of which can be actively applied to Stuart. He doesn't turn possession over when he hits or blocks shots. Nor is his stick work or positioning all that great. He can often get overly aggressive and pull himself out of position with frequency.

THEN if we do get possession you better hope it doesn't get on Stuart's stick because then your breakout gets ****ed.

I agree about role players, but Stuart is a poor one and there are much better options for that type of player out there.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I say we flip Stuart for a draft pick and run at the deadline. Even if it's just a 4th-5th rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad