Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I will chime in and back Truck's post about JMFT.

I suspect it wasn't by accident that when Maurice set a goal of having 1 on 1's with each of his players the first person he talked to in that format was Trouba. The one thing I would like to see in this time of transition between cores is that Chevy and Maurice figure out a way to set up Trouba for success. I look at the way LA handled Doughty in his first three seasons with the right veteran D partner until he was ready and it was masterful. Jacob has some of that Drew Doughty raw risk reward talent and I would hate to see a system or a series of bad partners impede his development and neuter him.

As we transition our veteran core I would love to see deals like Philly did flipping Richie for a high end prospect (B Schenn) and a young proven middle six (Simmons) or top 4 talent that can play up and might be getting held back, and a 2nd round pick. This trade was perfect for both teams IMHO. LA got the support piece for the cup run/runs and Philly assumed "some risk" but got back 2 top 6 forwards capable of putting up similar points to Richie in their primes. When I think about our key pieces this is exactly what I would like 1 for 2 + and the two we are getting are young and fit our core.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I will chime in and back Truck's post about JMFT.

I suspect it wasn't by accident that when Maurice set a goal of having 1 on 1's with each of his players the first person he talked to in that format was Trouba. The one thing I would like to see in this time of transition between cores is that Chevy and Maurice figure out a way to set up Trouba for success. I look at the way LA handled Doughty in his first three seasons with the right veteran D partner until he was ready and it was masterful. Jacob has some of that Drew Doughty raw risk reward talent and I would hate to see a system or a series of bad partners impede his development and neuter him.

As we transition our veteran core I would love to see deals like Philly did flipping Richie for a high end prospect (B Schenn) and a young proven middle six or top 4 talent that can play up and might be getting held back, and a 2nd round pick. This trade was perfect for both teams IMHO. LA got the support piece for the cup run/runs and Philly assumed "some risk" but got back 2 top 6 forwards capable of putting similar points to Richie. When I think about our key pieces this is exactly what I would like 1 for 2 + and the two we are getting are young and fit our core.

For some reason I think trading partners with WSH would work here, if you trade a core piece, one of LLW, you could get back Johansen and one of Kuznetzov/Burakovsky? I just think it needs to be a team in the East just looking to get over the hump this year and WSH comes to mind.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For some reason I think trading partners with WSH would work here, if you trade a core piece, one of LLW, you could get back Johansen and one of Kuznetzov/Burakovsky? I just think it needs to be a team in the East just looking to get over the hump this year and WSH comes to mind.

Yea a kid like Forsburg would have been a nice piece to land in this type of package. Good call on Johannson (32 points already this season) and Burakovsky.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yea a kid like Forsburg would have been a nice piece to land in this type of package. Good call on Johannson (32 points already this season) and Burakovsky.

I like those players. Not sure TNSE would be willing to load up on Ruskies like Kuznetzov though. Speaking of Kuznetzov I decided to look up his numbers.

Here is the list of drafted KHL prospects sorted by PPG:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...t=drafted&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=PPG

Wouldn't mind the Jets trying to land the #2 ranked kid.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I like those players. Not sure TNSE would be willing to load up on Ruskies like Kuznetzov though. Speaking of Kuznetzov I decided to look up his numbers.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...t=drafted&leagueteam=&nation=&name=&order=PPG

I had an idea who it was gonna be but I Lol'd anyway. We really need to get his name on a contract this off-season.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea there is a reason I didn't include Kuzentzov on my post....he is talented but that is not going to happen IMO. Let’s hope TNSE keep an open mind on the #2 ranked kid on that list. ;)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

For my sample, I looked at all NHL players born 1962-79 who played exclusively in the NHL, AHL or IHL from Age 21 to Age 29.

Not sure if I like the sampling method.

To me, that''s almost a different era of the NHL. Those guys in his sample would be between 35 and 52 years old right now. I like to imagine that the current generation of NHL players peak a few years later, and maintain themselves better.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Not sure if I like the sampling method.

To me, that''s almost a different era of the NHL. Those guys in his sample would be between 35 and 52 years old right now. I like to imagine that the current generation of NHL players peak a few years later, and maintain themselves better.
At the time of the article the 1979 B Days would have been 30.

Hard to get a read on their peak scoring without using a sample that is over the age of 30.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
If the Jets are looking for someone to replace Pavs, Holtby could be their answer! Unfortunately the Caps can't take a goalie back but if they add, say your choice of Troy Brouwer/Brooks Laich who both should be worth around the same but one of them might be more appealing to some teams, and a good prospect like Madison Bowey/Connor Carrick, would that be enough for Andrew Ladd?

Ladd for Holtby, Brouwer/Laich and Bowey/Carrick

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets are looking for someone to replace Pavs, Holtby could be their answer! Unfortunately the Caps can't take a goalie back but if they add, say your choice of Troy Brouwer/Brooks Laich who both should be worth around the same but one of them might be more appealing to some teams, and a good prospect like Madison Bowey/Connor Carrick, would that be enough for Andrew Ladd?

Ladd for Holtby, Brouwer/Laich and Bowey/Carrick

I still like your Johanssen offer, how about Ladd for Johanssen and Burakowsky.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Would a pkg of Ladd for Toffolli , Jones make sense for Jets ?

Great young winger and maybe a Pavs replacement ?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Cam Talbot

He is one of the most interesting backups in the NHL playing very solid for the New York Rangers. He has stellar numbers so far:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=100197

Should Winnipeg go after him? If so what type of draft choice would you part with to obtain him? Is having Pavelec under contract for so long and Montoya having a solid year a stumbling block that makes acquiring him less attractive?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
He is one of the most interesting backups in the NHL playing very solid for the New York Rangers. He has stellar numbers so far:

Should Winnipeg go after him? If so what type of draft choice would you part with to obtain him? Is having Pavelec under contract for so long and Montoya having a solid year a stumbling block that makes acquiring him less attractive?

Worth a shot, but I'd be very skeptical about Talbot being any kind of upgrade. AHL numbers look pretty similar to Pavelec and Montoya. Might be a late bloomer, might not.

Wouldn't give up more than a third round pick for him.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Worth a shot, but I'd be very skeptical about Talbot being any kind of upgrade. AHL numbers look pretty similar to Pavelec and Montoya. Might be a late bloomer, might not.

\

Sorry about putting it in the wrong section, would a 3rd rounder be enough to acquire him? Considering 3rd rounders are quite hit and miss I would have no issue going after him.

The goalie I would really like to get though is Martin Jones. One interesting thing about Martin Jones is that he is 12 for 12 in shootouts which is best in the NHL and would be enough for me to part with a 3rd rounder if that is all LA would want. I am sure after dealing Scrivens for a 3rd rounder, they are not willing to part with Jones unless Winnipeg overpays.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
H

Talbot is an interesting case. Coming out of U of Alabama-Huntsville I kinda dismissed him completely. But he has shown very consistent AHL improvement (.902 in 22gp - .913 in 33gp - .918 in 55gp - .924 in 5gp).

He's not overly athlethic, but a big blocking goalie in the mold of a Montoya. Only makes 562K (signed for next season as well). I'd be ok with taking a flyer on him. But yeah prob 3rd round pick is the most I'd give. Doubt NYR would trade him though, he has been great insurance for Lundqvist this year and as he's signed for next year there is no rush.

\

Sorry about putting it in the wrong section, would a 3rd rounder be enough to acquire him? Considering 3rd rounders are quite hit and miss I would have no issue going after him.

The goalie I would really like to get though is Martin Jones. One interesting thing about Martin Jones is that he is 12 for 12 in shootouts which is best in the NHL and would be enough for me to part with a 3rd rounder if that is all LA would want. I am sure after dealing Scrivens for a 3rd rounder, they are not willing to part with Jones unless Winnipeg overpays.

LOL, yeah it would take way more than a 3rd to get Jones out of LA. Jones is younger, signed for next season, RFA after that, played better, more potential than Scrivens. LA traded Scrivens since they have confidence in Jones and Scrivens was set to be UFA in the off-season (and no room with Jones pushing him, playing better). Jones will be in LA for another 2-3 years, much like Bernier did.

IF the above package (Ladd for Toffoli, Jones) you'd just have to include Montoya in the deal. Doubt LA does that though, Toffoli and Jones are cost controlled for so much time they couldn't afford to give those guys up, IMO.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Of the goalies that are possibly in that " need an opportunity" category, I like Anderson, Svedberg, and Jones.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Joki 31 points in 48 games. His good play is getting me pretty excited for his trade value. If he keeps this up perhaps we might even get a 1st rounder for him? I just hope Chevy still has the balls to trade him even after his good play as of late

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Joki 31 points in 48 games. His good play is getting me pretty excited for his trade value. If he keeps this up perhaps we might even get a 1st rounder for him? I just hope Chevy still has the balls to trade him even after his good play as of late

Honestly if we did trade him (which i think is a long shot) I could see him re-signing here in the offseason for a 2 mil deal or so. His family is settled here, I'm not sure he'd want to make his kids change schools if he didn't have too.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't know if there's a place for Jokinen if Burmistrov returns. Jokinen is obviously better but Burminis young an has potential.

But I suppose that's a decision that would've made in the summer anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad