Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

This isn’t about a starter in baseball but in hockey, where a million per season would make a substantial difference. Reports suggest that the gulf between the two sides could be as much as $3 million in annual average value.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

This isn’t about a starter in baseball but in hockey, where a million per season would make a substantial difference. Reports suggest that the gulf between the two sides could be as much as $3 million in annual average value.
Reports suggest they don’t know shit like the rest of us.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
just like Ullmark.
Ullmark did improve under goalie coach Bob but he had good numbers in Buffalo when they were the worst team in the league. Korpi would have to improve twice as much to even compare the two. Most of Korpi's previous seasons were bad (6 out of 9). Ullmark never had a save percentage below .905.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

I actually think the hang up might be term. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins aren't willing to lock up a goalie on a long 8 year term - just in case. I would guess they are more willing to gamble on his UFA status in 4-5 years than term now.
They are going with their bias that players want to be here so they are comfortable with negotiating again down the road rather than locking him up now.

I could be wrong. Just guesswork.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Geekie for a 3rd, I like Geekie but he is 2 million salary and will cost more next year as a UFA

This team s already short a middle 6 player with Geekie on the roster. they'd be 2 middle 6 players short without him.

I don't think there is any chance Sway will get 10-12, because he can't . They need to get him signed at around 8 million or so as a ceiling, because they will need to store up some cap space during the year to position themselves for what looks like a clear need to add a middle 6 forward as the season progresses, unless Lysell is able to come in and be that guy as a rokie

Reactions: bruins19

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Ullmark did improve under goalie coach Bob but he had good numbers in Buffalo when they were the worst team in the league. Korpi would have to improve twice as much to even compare the two. Most of Korpi's previous seasons were bad (6 out of 9). Ullmark never had a save percentage below .905.

Also something that goes overlooked is last season was the first season korpisalo was the #1 goalie.

So almost all of those bad seasons cakes as a backup with favorable duties.

Reactions: LiseL

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Regular season:
132 games /.919 sv% / 2.34 GAA

Playoffs
20 games / .922 sv% / 2.38 GAA

Out of McAvoy, Pasta and Swayman. Swayman was the only one to make an all star team before they got paid.

Swayman was the best player on the ice for the bruins in the playoffs this past season.

I think he’s proved plenty.
He has not shown, that he can handle the load.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I suspect that at least part of the issue is lockout protection.

I'm sure Swayman thinks that he has no control over a lockout and just one vote in terms of a strike. His agent knows that Jacobs was the driver of the Cap and ergo will be one of the key players if a lockout comes to pass.

Bottom line Jerry? Get out your checkbook and pay to front load the contract (or whatever vehicle that affords lockout protection). Once again, you've been outmaneuvered.

Reactions: Fenian24

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I suspect that at least part of the issue is lockout protection.

I'm sure Swayman thinks that he has no control over a lockout and just one vote in terms of a strike. His agent knows that Jacobs was the driver of the Cap and ergo will be one of the key players if a lockout comes to pass.

Bottom line Jerry? Get out your checkbook and pay to front load the contract (or whatever vehicle that affords lockout protection). Once again, you've been outmaneuvered.
It's just a matter of signing bonus in the lockout year. They didn't give any extra protection to Pastrnak, McAvoy, Lindholm, or Zadorov - not sure why they'd handle Swayman differently.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It's just a matter of signing bonus in the lockout year. They didn't give any extra protection to Pastrnak, McAvoy, Lindholm, or Zadorov - not sure why they'd handle Swayman differently.
Swayman is in a different set of circumstances that those four.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He has not shown, that he can handle the load.

Well I don’t believe this to be true, but if it is thats not his fault, that’s on the organization.

Everyone was so happy about the goalie tandem and the hugs. Yet come contract time, swayman wants to be paid like the all star that he is. Yet they platooned their future goaltender with a goalie who wasn’t in their future plans.

Now they put themselves in a situation where they either have to pay Swayman to be a top 5ish goalie or run the risk of letting him walk. All without knowing if he can “handle the load”

Poor organizational planning.

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Well I don’t believe this to be true, but if it is thats not his fault, that’s on the organization.

Everyone was so happy about the goalie tandem and the hugs. Yet come contract time, swayman wants to be paid like the all star that he is. Yet they platooned their future goaltender with a goalie who wasn’t in their future plans.

Now they put themselves in a situation where they either have to pay Swayman to be a top 5ish goalie or run the risk of letting him walk. All without knowing if he can “handle the load”

Constant with Donny Boy. Also hasn't given Bussi a single game to see if he can hack it. He's very unwilling to see anyone non vet to break the lineup

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Bruins imo have always flexed the RFA negotiating position. They'll pay eventually but want to see more production

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bruins imo have always flexed the RFA negotiating position. They'll pay eventually but want to see more production

Well I personally don’t believe the whole he hasn’t earned it based off the lack of workload.

Doesn’t sound like the Bruins have the luxury of paying eventually while waiting for most production.

But if that is a legit argument/hold up in the negotiations then the Bruins have no one to blame but themselves.

if that’s the case then it’s mismanagement to have platooned Swayman with a 30 year old goalie with no future in the organization. They had a full year to plan this out after last year arbitration.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I get the feeling that he won't sign an offer sheet with another team.

I am not sure I want him past $8.5m a season. But bridge deal, $9m for 3 I'd be OK with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad