Jeremy Roenick, Shea Weber and Pavel Datsyuk inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
You're silly.

Both of those guys played on stacked teams. Weber did not. If I was to pick a D for my team and all three of these guys were at their peak, I'd pick Weber in a heartbeat. Incredibly strong D with amazing leadership, a bomb at the point, etc.

Keith who? The guy won Cups on a stacked Chicago team. Chara and Weber ahead of him easily.

Yes, and on that stacked team Keith was arguably its best player for at least two of those Cup wins.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Except Webber was elite. He was a top-5 d-man in the NHL for a decade or longer. 30 teams * 7 d-men per team = 210 d-men total. This means Weber was in the top 2% of d-men. That's elite.
You just said he was one of the top 5, that is consistent with what I said. I said he was one of the best but never THE best, regardless it was not for a decade that he was in that top 5 realm, dont exaggerate

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You just said he was one of the top 5, that is consistent with what I said. I said he was one of the best but never THE best, regardless it was not for a decade that he was in that top 5 realm, dont exaggerate
He was elite for an extended period of time. If you took all the other d-men who played in the NHL over a 10 - 12 year period, yes, Weber would be top-5. He was also arguably the best a couple years as written by a few posters here with some of those controversial 2nd place Norris finishes.

Being elite for an extended period of time generally qualifies somebody for induction on their first try which is what happened with Weber

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He was elite for an extended period of time. If you took all the other d-men who played in the NHL over a 10 - 12 year period, yes, Weber would be top-5. He was also arguably the best a couple years as written by a few posters here with some of those controversial 2nd place Norris finishes.

Being elite for an extended period of time generally qualifies somebody for induction on their first try which is what happened with Weber
Okay, so he was not the best at any point and you're actually not arguing that he was, you're just making a case for him in a different way.

Carry on and don't waste my time manipulating my words.

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Shea Weber over Mogilny is a choice.
Shea Weber is hall of very good. Shocked he made it.

Yeah, besides Roenick who is delayed, Weber and Datsyuk are expected first ballot HOF.

I hope no complaints at all on this year class because no one can talk shit on their careers.
Weber had a very above average career. Nothing exciting. No hardware, no cup. He did smash Zetterberg’s head in frustration for being a better player than him though. Maybe that’s what happened here for the hall of fame.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Shea Weber had great international success which included winning 2 Olympic Gold Medals. In the NHL he made two 1st All-Star Team and two 2nd All-Star Team. I am not surprised he made it in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Surprised Roenick actually got the nod. Had his peak lasted longer (and he stayed healthy) he probably makes it but seems like a stretch.

Weber was always going to get in given his Gold Medals. Him getting in should mean Suter is a lock, too.

Your Olympic hero Shea Weber. Also lost a couple norris by the tiniest of margins.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Oh, I'd say he was certainly the best at points in his career. '13 being one of the more obvious ones.

I don’t know if there was ever a consensus the way there was with say, Lidstrom for a long period, but it was definitely held by a number of people. I’m pretty sure he won a couple polls on here for defensemen rankings as well

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Except Webber was elite. He was a top-5 d-man in the NHL for a decade or longer. 30 teams * 7 d-men per team = 210 d-men total. This means Weber was in the top 2% of d-men. That's elite.

His perception is not helped by the fact he was part of a newish franchise that didn't have much of a spotlight. Actually, they had the spotlight for other reasons such as their ownership situation, and for the most part, his tenure in Nashville coincided with a team that was known for defense and a pop gun offense.... not quite the type team that would grab alot of recognition.

But there was a reason that whenever team Canada needed a guy in that era for their best on best tournaments that Shea Weber was a virtual lock to be there. No doubt he's a Hall of famer.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I wouldn't have Weber as first ballot but I would have him in the HHOF. I wouldn't have Roenick in HHOF. Datsyuk was obvious first ballot choice.
What kind of reasoning is that? A player is either HoF worthy or he's not. What's even the point of purposely making someone wait? Saying ''Look champ, you were good but just so you know, there are better player than you in here. So be grateful and keep your head down''?

Being first ballot is not a special honor bestowed by the HoF. It doesn't mean jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad