Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I think he will go to Columbus in a swap for Adam Boqvist.

Not sure what is needed for retention or prospects/picks on either side, but I think the player swap makes sense for both teams.
See this to me makes some sense. I’m not sure how he fits on the Habs backend overall, but the cap cancels out and Boqvist gets a shot at PP1 he might not get in Columbus this year.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Giordano got 2 seconds at the deadline for 3.5M cap hit. Petry is better and would be loss costly and 2 years at that low cap hit….

And Petry really doesn’t have that much say. He has a 15 team no trade list. Outside of that, all 16 other teams are open for business and he has no say
That’s a deadline deal and it was 2 years ago. Completely different subject, and many things change from now until then.

As for his NTC, once again, deadline will be much different but right now? He absolutely has a major say. He just did. It took 6 weeks to trade him and the Pens just paid a lot to move him. Obviously the lessor that cap hit, the lessor say he has but right now?

It doesn’t take an hour to go through the cap situations for every team, the current depth on the Right side, and narrowing it down to about 5 teams he can be traded to without his say BUT they’d need major retention, or money coming back. Then the ones he leaves off his list, because that’s where he’d like to go, most have cap room. They wouldn’t want the retention. Then what’s he worth? He just cost a 2nd plus.

We already know Buffalo, Columbus and Detroit would be 3 of the 16 (not on his list) because those are 3 of the teams he’d like to go to…. and Pitt (obvious) and TO (he’d go to) won’t be on his list either.. Right off the bat we’re at 11. You can take LA right off as they’re not trading for a RH dman. Edmonton doesn’t want a dman like him. NYR either. Now we’re at 8 and I haven’t even looked.

It’s pretty easy to make it hard to be traded without your say-so with a 15 team list. Worse case, he can narrow it way down, even at the deadline. In this case, even those 4 teams he’d like to go to, aren’t paying much for him. They would have to create a spot for him. So they’re not bidding against anyone just so Montreal gets better value. 3 of them would probably say no thanks to the retention. Then what?? A 6th round pick? Maybe?

Honestly. Why would Detroit, Buffalo or Columbus want the retention? They wouldn’t. There goes all of Montreal’s leverage. Every ounce of it. He’s now worth nothing basically. Just like he was a week ago.

It’s what every player does with a 15 team NTC who makes around $5 million or more. They make it almost impossible for a deal to be made without their consent, or retention, or the team taking back money. It just happened. The Pens spent 6 weeks trying to trade him and they had to retain 25% and give up a 2nd and take major money back in Hoffman.

This is why trades are so hard when players have lists. We just witnessed it. Just because Montreal says they’d retain, doesn’t automatically increase any leverage they have. There has to be a market of at least 2 teams chasing him

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Maybe, without making ANY moves. I guess I don't see 4.7 for 22min a night top 4 dman being impossible to move. I do know there is no point in retaining 2MM per x 2 years for the 50th pick in the 2026 draft, that would be a stupid way to play this.

Based on what? He was a mess the whole season, his played dropped off substantially starting during the Cup run the previous year. Which was actually how he plays in the playoffs, his numbers are embarrassing once games get tough. He looked like he didn't want to be there, turns out, he didn't. I'm a bity shocked that someone thinks he was good that year, but if you did, no reason to argue it.

I mostly concur with the first paragraph; a (presumably late) 2nd round pick from a contender would hardly enough incentive to retain salary over two years on Petry right now.

Higher TOI for Barron/Xhekaj to develop at the NHL level (and to a lesser extent maybe showcase Kovacevic for TDL 2024 to leverage the cap crunch?) could be an added perk to flipping Petry early, but considering Hughes' modus operandi so far, it'd take more than the aforementioned 2nd for him to pull the trigger on a multi-year salary retention deal.

On the other hand, if no team meets Hughes' price for multi-year retention, it seems too late in the offseason (Detroit for instance could have been a good landing spot for him, had the Red Wings not already signed Holl, Gostibehere and Maata to 3-4M AAV contracts...) or too early in the season (no new long term injuries yet...) for trading Petry without (or even with) retention.

He indeed seems nearly impossible to fit structure-wise and/or cap-wise on most teams not plausibly on his no-trade list at the moment without a player coming back - likely a similar or higher AAV defenseman, hopefully on a 2024 expiring deal.

Another 3-way deal maybe? Habs facilitate a Petry 2.35M or 4.7M AAV swap with a similar/higher AAV D that ends up with a third party. Habs likely retain on the D if he's a 2024 UFA to extract as much value as possible. (Hughes hopefully uses the situation to somehow involve one of DeSmith/Allen as well!)

As for the second paragraph questioning Petry's 2021 playoff performance, he played the last two rounds with a broken finger, which wasn't ideal circumstances, obviously.

As for his 2021-2022 season - not unlike Caufield - the before/after Martin St-Louis numbers speak for themselves as to Petry's top-4 resurgence in his last 30 games, notably :

- Petry's points per 60 rose from 0.36 to 1.92. (6 pts in 38 GP vs 21 pts in 30 GP)
- Petry's expected goals-for percentage rose from 45.9 percent to 53.1 percent.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Guy asked for a trade last year out of Montreal. My guess is he is not thrilled going back.

Montreal ideally wants to get under the cap before season starts so they can put Price on LTIR after the beginning of the season and avoid the complications of putting him LTIR during the offseason.

What kind of value would Petry have at its full current salary for 2 more years (4,7 millions) vs with retention up to 50% (2,35 millions)?

I mean if he didn't want to go back he could have kept them on the list, no? He wanted to stay closer to Detroit where his family is originally from.

I think with retention, Yzerman is probably the bloke that would be curious given the obvious ties to his hometown and preference to stay in the east etc.

There's a few teams he could go to, but it really depends on the Habs wanting to retain for 2yrs on a young team where cap is a precious commodity for bloated big deals instead of bridge deals.

Price's LTIR helps them a ton, so even a small retention (1-2m) would go a long way for a return of a decent pick and maybe B-C level prospect.

Maatta + 2nd in 2025 for Petry (20% retained) + Wild's Third.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I mean if he didn't want to go back he could have kept them on the list, no? He wanted to stay closer to Detroit where his family is originally from.

I think with retention, Yzerman is probably the bloke that would be curious given the obvious ties to his hometown and preference to stay in the east etc.

There's a few teams he could go to, but it really depends on the Habs wanting to retain for 2yrs on a young team where cap is a precious commodity for bloated big deals instead of bridge deals.

Price's LTIR helps them a ton, so even a small retention (1-2m) would go a long way for a return of a decent pick and maybe B-C level prospect.

Maatta + 2nd in 2025 for Petry (20% retained) + Wild's Third.
That's an easy no from the Habs.

• Haha

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Also, no Habs fans were saying Edmundson for a first . Get serious.

Habs fans were right about Lehkonen, chiarot, Toffoli, Petry (the first time). 95% of Hab fans were expecting pretty much what we got for Edmundson
yes they were. they thought hed get a 1st.

same with lehky and petry. although the did ok in both trades.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think Petry at 50% retained (if you are going ro retain retain a lot is my motto) could be a 1st or 2 2nds or a 2nd + Prospect in that B area.

Any team needing a #4 (like the LD is the #3) or #5 to anchor the third pairing and remove minutes from top 4.

Should definitely be in on it. Pittsburgh just wanted a top 4 upgrade and couldn't afford Petry at the 3rd pairing guy with Graves and Petterson getting paid 4+
I agree- there are only 3 retention slots per team so if you are going to burn one- retain as much as you can to maximize the value of burning that retention slot. Nashville retaining $% or 250K for 4 years on Ekholm seemed like a colossal waste of a retention slot. retain more and maximize your return

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe, without making ANY moves. I guess I don't see 4.7 for 22min a night top 4 dman being impossible to move. I do know there is no point in retaining 2MM per x 2 years for the 50th pick in the 2026 draft, that would be a stupid way to play this.

Based on what? He was a mess the whole season, his played dropped off substantially starting during the Cup run the previous year. Which was actually how he plays in the playoffs, his numbers are embarrassing once games get tough. He looked like he didn't want to be there, turns out, he didn't. I'm a bity shocked that someone thinks he was good that year, but if you did, no reason to argue it.

What do you mean based on what? He finished the season with 22 points in 34 games and was basically the only Hab to drive play and outchance and outscored opponents when he was on the ice.

He was Montreal's best playdriving D man on the Cup run and it was only after his freak finger injury that his play started to slip.

Where are you getting your info? Perceived vibes?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs should wait until TDL when Petry’s value will be its highest (assuming no significant decline in play).
Even less teams can be in play then.............and some of them who are in play could be on his NT list.

Thinking he will be dealt any day now.......Hughes has yet to speak to the media in Montreal about his deal and intentions at this point.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry has 15 team no trade clause, imagine hurt his value. If Habs get more than a 2nd, won't be much more.

15 team no trade list with the Habs being the 16th team. So only 16 teams we can trade him too and only around 11 teams with more than $2.5M in cap space. Pretty sure Petry would have most of the non playoff teams on his list so that don't leave much options.

Habs will likely have to retain 50% and also take back a one year cap dump in order for most teams to fit him in. In that case, I can see us getting some futures.

I see something like Petry at 50% retention to the Flames for Tanev and the flames get a slight upgrade at RD with cap savings. Something like that. What do the Habs do with Tanev then? Not sure. We are loaded on D.

• Haha

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Guy asked for a trade last year out of Montreal. My guess is he is not thrilled going back.

Montreal ideally wants to get under the cap before season starts so they can put Price on LTIR after the beginning of the season and avoid the complications of putting him LTIR during the offseason.

What kind of value would Petry have at its full current salary for 2 more years (4,7 millions) vs with retention up to 50% (2,35 millions)?
A trade deadline type of trade could be a different story but it seems you are precluding this and are talking about moving him before the season begins.

Of course, some will revert to the per usual lazy thinking and suggest he could be dumped to Arizona. While, that's not impossible, if folks have been following the Coyotes at all this summer, it does seem like they are making a legit effort to bolster their roster and be a better team. On that basis, I the Yotes would only be interested if there was definitely something of interest and value to them.

I certainly don't pretend to be an expert when it comes to trades, but most teams simply don't have the cap now, so I expect the return to be very low.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
I think he will go to Columbus in a swap for Adam Boqvist.

Not sure what is needed for retention or prospects/picks on either side, but I think the player swap makes sense for both teams.

Interesting premisse. If a Petry vs Boqvist swap occurs, Columbus could in principle afford Petry with, or without, retention.

Besides Boqvist, the other D that could also make sense for both Columbus and Montreal in a Petry swap-based deal could be Bean, who’ll be UFA next summer; so a likely candidate for TDL 2024 - or for a 3-way deal from the outset since retaining on an expiring UFA like Bean wouldn’t be the end of the world for Montreal.

And if Montreal and Columbus do engage in trade talks, maybe DeSmith could also be involved; I wouldn’t be against a DeSmith (+Pezzetta?) for Ollivier swap for instance.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
That’s a deadline deal and it was 2 years ago. Completely different subject, and many things change from now until then.

As for his NTC, once again, deadline will be much different but right now? He absolutely has a major say. He just did. It took 6 weeks to trade him and the Pens just paid a lot to move him. Obviously the lessor that cap hit, the lessor say he has but right now?

It doesn’t take an hour to go through the cap situations for every team, the current depth on the Right side, and narrowing it down to about 5 teams he can be traded to without his say BUT they’d need major retention, or money coming back. Then the ones he leaves off his list, because that’s where he’d like to go, most have cap room. They wouldn’t want the retention. Then what’s he worth? He just cost a 2nd plus.

We already know Buffalo, Columbus and Detroit would be 3 of the 16 (not on his list) because those are 3 of the teams he’d like to go to…. and Pitt (obvious) and TO (he’d go to) won’t be on his list either.. Right off the bat we’re at 11. You can take LA right off as they’re not trading for a RH dman. Edmonton doesn’t want a dman like him. NYR either. Now we’re at 8 and I haven’t even looked.

It’s pretty easy to make it hard to be traded without your say-so with a 15 team list. Worse case, he can narrow it way down, even at the deadline. In this case, even those 4 teams he’d like to go to, aren’t paying much for him. They would have to create a spot for him. So they’re not bidding against anyone just so Montreal gets better value. 3 of them would probably say no thanks to the retention. Then what?? A 6th round pick? Maybe?

Honestly. Why would Detroit, Buffalo or Columbus want the retention? They wouldn’t. There goes all of Montreal’s leverage. Every ounce of it. He’s now worth nothing basically. Just like he was a week ago.

It’s what every player does with a 15 team NTC who makes around $5 million or more. They make it almost impossible for a deal to be made without their consent, or retention, or the team taking back money. It just happened. The Pens spent 6 weeks trying to trade him and they had to retain 25% and give up a 2nd and take major money back in Hoffman.

This is why trades are so hard when players have lists. We just witnessed it. Just because Montreal says they’d retain, doesn’t automatically increase any leverage they have. There has to be a market of at least 2 teams chasing him

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.
You’re making a lot of assumptions and guesses

yes they were. they thought hed get a 1st.

same with lehky and petry. although the did ok in both trades.
Lehkonen got a former 1st round pick who has held his value nicely and a 2nd round pick so I’d certainly say they got the value of a 1st round pick

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
how so he submits he list to Hughes at the beginning and then Kent can trade him to any other team i promise you Petry wasnt too happy about being traded back to MTL but hes 15 teams will all be in the west so any team in the East will be fine

Now we just need to find one that needs a RD and Petry at 2.3 for 2 more years is a good deal im not expecting a top prospect back but theres no way he doesnt atleast get a 2nd +

So at the end will be getting a 2nd from Pittsburgh and the assets from Petry for retaining 50% and dumping Hoffman thats a steal from our management

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The retention angle is neat and all, but if the majority of the teams who are interested in obtaining him don’t need Montreal to use a retention slot, he’s now worth pretty much what he was last week.

That’s why trades are so hard to make these days. There’s so many angles to them.

If he’s not worth a 6th to Detroit, Buffalo or Columbus, teams he’d go to btw, and people think he’s worth a 2nd from Dallas as an example, where does it end?

Very rarely have we ever seen a team acquire a player just to shop him with retention.

It makes much more sense they want him in Montreal as a veteran presence. One of the worst things you can do is have 4-5 young players on the blue line, losing constantly. Confidence is so important for young players, but especially young Dmen.

It just makes more sense.

If there was enough interest in him that justifies another team paying a 2nd, he’d have likely been flipped already.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Lehkonen got a former 1st round pick who has held his value nicely and a 2nd round pick so I’d certainly say they got the value of a 1st round pick
habs fans wanted byram/newhook+/1st+barron. they were never gonna get that from sakic. they got a decent package tho. in the end they got newhook too but boy was it costly.

Yanny

Jul 7, 2015
are people not getting Hoffman and Petry are a wash for 1 yr so Montreal got a 2nd to take a bad contract for another year?

He’s worth nothing
Petry a 6.5m vs 2.3 make a big difference.
Also, he didnt want to move from pittsburgh and was leveraging is NTC.
Now that he is in MTL, i would guess than he might accept a trade from a club that was on his no trade list

Reactions: viceroy

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Absolutely failing to see why Columbus, a team with no fewer than five NHL-caliber RD if you include Gudbranson, would have interest in trading out Boqvist, a 22yo former 8OA pick who's had injury troubles, just to bring in a 35yo RD who can't QB a power play who only wants to play for teams close to Michigan. Maybe--maybe--if Columbus was desperate for RD, but they're not. Even if Boqvist is traded, they've got Severson & Jiricek for the top two pairs and Peeke in his proper role as a shot-blocking 3RD. Of course it's a swap that makes sense for the Habs, but there's nothing there for Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad