Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Also, if I'm Hughes my only priority is getting rid of Petry for the least amount of retention possible. I wouldn't retain 50% to get a second, you could probably use that 2MM each of the next two years to yield more.

He is worth he current 4.7, or close to it, as a free asset. Habs owe this guy nothing, and I hope that is what he gets.
very few teams could take him without retention.

Reactions: Barnaby

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Kent Hughes will only trade Petry for a 2019 first round pick, lol.

Let’s face it Hughes has the Midas touch when dealing Petry, in reality another 2nd is at least what I’d expect.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I hope he never plays another game for the Habs. He was pathetic at the end with MTL, clearly didn't want to be here, and was mailing it in. A lot is made over that one PLD shift, felt like Petry played half a season with that same effort level. And he sucked during the Cup run. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our young d core and I'd be surprised if he dresses for MTL again.

Petry was Montreal's best player in the second half of the 2021-2022 season, what are you talking about?

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dallas is too hard against the cap.

Even at 50% retained would need to send a player back at same cap hit.

Would be a good fit, but don't think Dallas would be in play.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Also, if I'm Hughes my only priority is getting rid of Petry for the least amount of retention possible. I wouldn't retain 50% to get a second, you could probably use that 2MM each of the next two years to yield more.

He is worth he current 4.7, or close to it, as a free asset. Habs owe this guy nothing, and I hope that is what he gets.
If the Habs want to compete next year and see some playoff action, they will hold on to Petry. I am not sure what Molson wants though. All the changes HuGo has made this off season are improvements.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Keep in mind, Montreal already got a 2nd rounder out of this deal, so just giving up Petry for future considerations would leave Montreal ahead.

That being said, I expect 2 years of 2.3M retention has to be worth a 2nd, maybe a 2nd and a 3d.
That is true and we shouldn’t forget about that. It’s a big point they got that 2nd rounder already. It also shows what a buyer’s market it’s become.

It should also be eye opening…. that we’re 2 days into this and he still hasn’t been flipped.

If teams were going to be lining up to grab him for “at least a 2nd round pick” at $2.3 (as many have suggested) he’d have been flipped already.

Just don’t think it’s going to be as easy as some people think. Not when you break it down, trying to find a fit, and take into account his NTC. Makes finding a fit tough, and it certainly doesn’t create a market to justify a team paying a high asset.

It’s not July 1. Teams have filled their needs for the most part. But hey, maybe I’m wrong.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
That is true and we shouldn’t forget about that. It’s a big point they got that 2nd rounder already. It also shows what a buyer’s market it’s become.

It should also be eye opening…. that we’re 2 days into this and he still hasn’t been flipped.

If teams were going to be lining up to grab him for “at least a 2nd round pick” at $2.3 (as many have suggested) he’d have been flipped already.

Just don’t think it’s going to be as easy as some people think. Not when you break it down, trying to find a fit, and take into account his NTC. Makes finding a fit tough, and it certainly doesn’t create a market to justify a team paying a high asset.

It’s not July 1. Teams have filled their needs for the most part. But hey, maybe I’m wrong.
Kent is turning hot garbage into something. He didn't manage to do this with Dadonov and Drouin, but hosed Calgary and Pittsburgh already, unlike the Yotes who trade their assets for futures they can't even retain or develop. Getting more assets for Petry would be highway robbery. He even convinced Moneyhands to come back. Hopefully, he explodes and the fleecing continues. It's the only way the Habs can return to glory.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
very few teams could take him without retention.
Maybe, without making ANY moves. I guess I don't see 4.7 for 22min a night top 4 dman being impossible to move. I do know there is no point in retaining 2MM per x 2 years for the 50th pick in the 2026 draft, that would be a stupid way to play this.

Petry was Montreal's best player in the second half of the 2021-2022 season, what are you talking about?
Based on what? He was a mess the whole season, his played dropped off substantially starting during the Cup run the previous year. Which was actually how he plays in the playoffs, his numbers are embarrassing once games get tough. He looked like he didn't want to be there, turns out, he didn't. I'm a bity shocked that someone thinks he was good that year, but if you did, no reason to argue it.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If the Habs want to compete next year and see some playoff action, they will hold on to Petry. I am not sure what Molson wants though. All the changes HuGo has made this off season are improvements.
He asked for a trade a year ago - I can't imagine there is any intention to dress him next year. I believe they have other plans for him - I'd be shocked if he is in the lineup opening night.

Reactions: BLONG7

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs should wait until TDL when Petry’s value will be its highest (assuming no significant decline in play).

Reactions: Yanny

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
i don't see how a player that hasn't gotten a 'welcome back' isn't getting traded soon

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Maybe, without making ANY moves. I guess I don't see 4.7 for 22min a night top 4 dman being impossible to move. I do know there is no point in retaining 2MM per x 2 years for the 50th pick in the 2026 draft, that would be a stupid way to play this.

Based on what? He was a mess the whole season, his played dropped off substantially starting during the Cup run the previous year. Which was actually how he plays in the playoffs, his numbers are embarrassing once games get tough. He looked like he didn't want to be there, turns out, he didn't. I'm a bity shocked that someone thinks he was good that year, but if you did, no reason to argue it.
His play dropped off during the playoff run because he wasn't 100%.

Reactions: viceroy

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’m curious what other fans think Petry would get if he were an ufa this off-season?

2.36M for a depth veteran rhd would attract a lot of teams

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
i don't see how a player that hasn't gotten a 'welcome back' isn't getting traded soon
I hope they at least gave Petry a call even if they don't want to have anything to do with him. Just to let him know what they intend to do.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Flyers should be all over this... especially if Habs retain some money and send something Flyers way.. At trade dead line Petry may be worth something.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
There seems to be this automatic assumption, if the Habs retain half for the next 2 years, the asset in return is suddenly going to be much more attractive. Forgetting most teams not only have to create a spot for him now, but they know he’s not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

Plus he’s still going to have a significant say where he goes.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is, what’s that value level, where they’re still willing to eat half that salary for the next two years?

All the retention does for other teams is, makes it easier for the acquiring team to trade for him. Doesn’t necessarily change what they’ve been willing to give up for him over these last 6 weeks. Remember, both Buffalo and Detroit could’ve taken that contract. They chose not to.

So what is that level of expected value for retaining $2 million for two years?

Is it a 4th Round Pick? Is it Gustav Lindstrom in return?

Is it a 2nd Round Pick OR an Elmer Soderblom?

Or is it a Chiarot? How about Nate Robertson? Brodie?

I’m guessing that opinion changes on each of those different levels of return, and most people will say that second grouping.. I’m not so sure it’s not much closer to that first group.

What say you Montreal fans?? What’s the absolute least amount of return you’d accept for using a retention slot of $2 million for two years?
Giordano got 2 seconds at the deadline for 3.5M cap hit. Petry is better and would be loss costly and 2 years at that low cap hit….

And Petry really doesn’t have that much say. He has a 15 team no trade list. Outside of that, all 16 other teams are open for business and he has no say

Reactions: sergejean

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Toronto paid 2 seconds for Giordano at 3.5M on an expiring contract
Petry is better and would be at 2.5M for 2 years
Great, but I’ll guarantee that Petry isn’t getting two seconds much like Edmundson didn’t get a first like so many Habs fans predicted.

Also, even at that price, make the cap work. All the contending teams are tight against the cap and can’t fit him at that price. And all the teams with enough cap aren’t in a position to be adding an old guy who isn’t going to push them towards the playoffs, they’re closer to tanking.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Flyers should be all over this... especially if Habs retain some money and send something Flyers way.. At trade dead line Petry may be worth something.
You want the habs to trade him to the flyers, with retention, and another asset so that the flyers can flip him at the TDL?

What is in it for Montreal?

Great, but I’ll guarantee that Petry isn’t getting two seconds much like Edmundson didn’t get a first like so many Habs fans predicted.

Also, even at that price, make the cap work. All the contending teams are tight against the cap and can’t fit him at that price. And all the teams with enough cap aren’t in a position to be adding an old guy who isn’t going to push them towards the playoffs, they’re closer to tanking.
Habs would likely have to take a contract with 1 year left back, as an example Pujularivi, to help with the cap.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Teams can add 2.5M, especially with a contract going back. If teams can’t add 2.5M, there would be no trades lol

Also, no Habs fans were saying Edmundson for a first . Get serious.

Habs fans were right about Lehkonen, chiarot, Toffoli, Petry (the first time). 95% of Hab fans were expecting pretty much what we got for Edmundson

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Teams can add 2.5M, especially with a contract going back. If teams can’t add 2.5M, there would be no trades lol

Also, no Habs fans were saying Edmundson for a first . Get serious.

Habs fans were right about Lehkonen, chiarot, Toffoli, Petry (the first time). 95% of Hab fans were expecting pretty much what we got for Edmundson

Go nuts. Plenty thinking Edmundson had insane value. Blocked that one out I suppose.

At the deadline, yes he’s moveable. Not at the rate people are saying of course. But if you’d like to give me an example of a trade that can be done during the offseason that works for the other team both player and cap wise, I’d love to hear it.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Go nuts. Plenty thinking Edmundson had insane value. Blocked that one out I suppose.

At the deadline, yes he’s moveable. Not at the rate people are saying of course. But if you’d like to give me an example of a trade that can be done during the offseason that works for the other team both player and cap wise, I’d love to hear it.
Most of those were under the condition that he remained healthy, which he did not but nice leaving that out. During off-season, everyone knew he wouldn’t get a first

Reactions: viceroy

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think he will go to Columbus in a swap for Adam Boqvist.

Not sure what is needed for retention or prospects/picks on either side, but I think the player swap makes sense for both teams.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad