Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Petry signed it in 2020 with Montreal. A 4 - year 25M contract. He played 1 year with Montreal and 1 with the Pens. Each year he submits a 15 team NTC.

Petry has both a partial NTC and a partial NMC.

The partial NMC will protect against one or both of:
(a) being Waived and/or
(b) being Loaned to the AHL

These partial NMCs almost always protect against both (a) and (b). But there has been at least one exception in the past (Bobby Ryan) where a player was protected against (b) but not (a).

@mouser just for detail, can you clarify when the go (or no-go) list of a M-NTC is actually compiled? Is it annually on some fixed date, or only when the player (or his agent) is informed of an imminent trade?

CapFriendly just talks about a specified timeframe and gives an example of "within 48 hours" but doesn't really spell it out crystal clear. There's potentially some difference there from the player's (agent's) viewpoint if they want to get tactical and exclude rebuilding teams. Just curious about this, outside Petry's case.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Definitely not for 24-25 season as it was mentioned in original post, but in 5 years it is a different story. No Eichel, but I see Joshua Roy as good as Stone. For Ds we have Guhle, Mailloux, Engstrom and David ... who all have pretty high potential. Plus we have ton of other young players like CC, Slaf, Hutson.
None of these guys are elite 1D / elite 1C potential.

And I mean if Josh Roy turns out that good, I'll eat my socks. I see him being an effective 2nd liner at best.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It's pretty simple, really. How much teams usually pay for two playoff runs of a top 3 RD with a cap hit of $2.3M?
But what is that to you as a fan? Or to the Canadians? Is it a 2nd? That seems to be the opinion. Teams pay all sorts of different prices these days.

I think it would have to be at least a 2nd Round pick. If it’s anything less than that, it becomes pretty hard to justify retaining $2.3 million for two years.. if they only get a 4th Rd pick, it becomes a big head scratcher.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Petry value was low cause of his East limited NTC. I guess SJ would have taken Petry over Hoffman for the same cap hit. If traded before the season, I don't think he will fetch more than a second, even with retention. Now, it's still possible that Montreal isn't the worst place to live for the Petry Family after all.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I’d like to see the Canadiens send Petry while also taking a teams 1/2 year cap dump back to maximize the value for him. Once they sort out their LTIR situation they should have the cap space to do so. Not like they’ll be competing for a playoff spot any time soon.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
But what is that to you as a fan? Or to the Canadians? Is it a 2nd? That seems to be the opinion. Teams pay all sorts of different prices these days.

I think it would have to be at least a 2nd Round pick. If it’s anything less than that, it becomes pretty hard to justify retaining $2.3 million for two years.. if they only get a 4th Rd pick, it becomes a big head scratcher.
I'd say a 2nd and a decent prospect would be a solid return.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Montreal could move Petry now for a 2nd if they retain. But then Habs going to carry a 2.3m caphit over into '24-25. Not ideal situation for a team expecting to content by then. Especially considering it for extra 2nd. Not really much
The Cap hit into 24-25 is not an issue, using a retention slot may be an issue. The only guys that need a new contract for 2024-25 are Ylonen, Barron, Montembault an Zhekaj. Without using Price's LTIR money, they have $10.6M in space (plus 2.3M if Petry traded at 50%) which will be more than enough to sign their guys and add a couple of ELC's to fill roster. Even if they wanted to make a big UFA splaxh (they won't in 24-25) they have Prices LTIR $

That said do they want to tie up a retention spot for 2 years? Hughes has been okay with retention but never more than 1 yr. we shall see.
I don't see them accepting less than a 2nd and they probably want to avoid roster players back- they have too many anyway unless its an expiring contract at the deadline.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser just for detail, can you clarify when the go (or no-go) list of a M-NTC is actually compiled? Is it annually on some fixed date, or only when the player (or his agent) is informed of an imminent trade?

CapFriendly just talks about a specified timeframe and gives an example of "within 48 hours" but doesn't really spell it out crystal clear. There's potentially some difference there from the player's (agent's) viewpoint if they want to get tactical and exclude rebuilding teams. Just curious about this, outside Petry's case.

There is no mandatory CBA structure for how often no trade lists are updated. It's whatever the contract says, and can vary from contract to contract.

I've seen many reported as being updated once per year. I've also seen some reports of teams requesting a player provide an updated no trade list prior to the trade deadline--so perhaps they have some sort of clause such as "team must have a no trade list no more than three months old prior to trading the player"**

** I'm completely making this clause up as one possible explanation for requesting a no trade list update mid-season.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Petry at 2.3 looks a whole lotter better than Klingberg at 4.1M.
That’s hard to argue BUT is anyone willing to give up a nice asset for Petry at $2.3?? That’s the big question. Does retaining for two years on Petry, increase the price managers would pay? Or, does it just make trading him easier for a 3rd or 4th round pick? It’s still $2.3 in a cap strapped league. I guess we shall find out IF he’s moved.
I'd say a 2nd and a decent prospect would be a solid return.
That seems to be the overwhelming expectation, but can we also assume that’s where you would draw the line at the retention spot’s value for two years?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
While Petry looked very uninspired on the ice during his last season with Montreal, he was very professional about his trade request with the media and didn't complain or say anything bad about the team after he left.

Covid restrictions are gone, perhaps the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence and he knows he had a good stable life in Montreal that he can go back to.

Or maybe he's pissed and hurt that Dubas and Hughes would troll him like this, and he left Montreal off of his no trade list because he thought they would never send him back there.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Florida seems like a logical destination as I’ve mentioned previously.

They lost Gudas to free agency and both Ekblad and Montour are coming off shoulder surgery, with Montour expected to miss at least a month of the season. Petry at 50% retained is an attractive piece for them because it gives themq a veteran puck moving defenseman that can play in all situations and becomes a great piece on your third pairing when Montour/Ekblad are back from their injuries.

I don’t know what the cost to acquire Petry at 50% would be, but as a Habs fan I’d push for prospect Gracyn Sawchyn in the return and a 2nd rounder in 2026.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint and Kimota

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That’s hard to argue BUT is anyone willing to give up a nice asset for Petry at $2.3?? That’s the big question. Does retaining for two years on Petry, increase the price managers would pay? Or, does it just make trading him easier for a 3rd or 4th round pick? It’s still $2.3 in a cap strapped league. I guess we shall find out IF he’s moved.

That seems to be the overwhelming expectation, but can we also assume that’s where you would draw the line at the retention spot’s value for two years?

People shit on Petry, but even last season he was averaging over 22 minutes a night at around 0.5 p/gp and good underlying numbers. And he's still 6'3" 200+ lbs. and a right shot.

I get that he's old and his game is declining, but 2.3 mil isn't that much, especially because Montreal could potentially match salary by taking an expiring deal. They can also just keep him and wait until the deadline/next offseason for when the flat cap wont be a problem.

Petry at 6.25 mil didn't have any interest. Petry at 4.7 mil likely wont have interest. Petry at less than 2.4 mil for two seasons should have interest. I mean, that's barely more that OEL's AAV next season.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Higher upside with Kling but I agree
Not sure about that honestly, Petry was top 40 last year again for icetime in the NHL, meanin that he's pretty much a top pairing defenceman for icetime while finishing 47th in PPG.

He's a second RD pairing defenceman in at least half of NHL teams even at 35 years old.

Let see if MTL deal him or keep him till the TDL.

Can't beleive we receive Matheson for free!! He was one of the best defneceman in the NHL last year playing over 24 min per night and producing at the same level as Burns/Pietrangelo and Carlsson.

Great trade for Hughes.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Keep in mind, Montreal already got a 2nd rounder out of this deal, so just giving up Petry for future considerations would leave Montreal ahead.

That being said, I expect 2 years of 2.3M retention has to be worth a 2nd, maybe a 2nd and a 3d.

Reactions: Petes2424

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
clause such as "team must have a no trade list no more than three months old prior to trading the player"
Except you must mean player, not team. (Having/producing the list.) hi hi

@lempo what's your view? When does the go/no-go list with a M-NTC get done and come into being?

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Florida seems like a logical destination as I’ve mentioned previously.

They lost Gudas to free agency and both Ekblad and Montour are coming off shoulder surgery, with Montour expected to miss at least a month of the season. Petry at 50% retained is an attractive piece for them because it gives themq a veteran puck moving defenseman that can play in all situations and becomes a great piece on your third pairing when Montour/Ekblad are back from their injuries.

I don’t know what the cost to acquire Petry at 50% would be, but as a Habs fan I’d push for prospect Gracyn Sawchyn in the return and a 2nd rounder in 2026.

Another 1st rounder it is!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think Petry at 50% retained (if you are going ro retain retain a lot is my motto) could be a 1st or 2 2nds or a 2nd + Prospect in that B area.

Any team needing a #4 (like the LD is the #3) or #5 to anchor the third pairing and remove minutes from top 4.

Should definitely be in on it. Pittsburgh just wanted a top 4 upgrade and couldn't afford Petry at the 3rd pairing guy with Graves and Petterson getting paid 4+

Reactions: 74 others

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I hope he never plays another game for the Habs. He was pathetic at the end with MTL, clearly didn't want to be here, and was mailing it in. A lot is made over that one PLD shift, felt like Petry played half a season with that same effort level. And he sucked during the Cup run. I wouldn't want him anywhere near our young d core and I'd be surprised if he dresses for MTL again.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Also, if I'm Hughes my only priority is getting rid of Petry for the least amount of retention possible. I wouldn't retain 50% to get a second, you could probably use that 2MM each of the next two years to yield more.

He is worth he current 4.7, or close to it, as a free asset. Habs owe this guy nothing, and I hope that is what he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad