Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
A lot of people are saying that, but for me this absolutely makes sense.

Jeff Petry loved his time in Montreal. He had great success, loved the city/fans, and had great time with teammates, etc.

It's true he asked for a trade out of Montreal. But a lot of that had to do with him no longer fitting the team and the direction it was going and needing a change. If he had a NTC where he only had 5 teams, I'm sure Montreal wouldn't make his list, but 15 team list? I dunno - I can definitely see him not blocking Montreal. There are way worst options out there for him.

As a Habs fan I'm happy to see him back. If we keep him to start season - I can definitely see him bouncing back and putting forth a stronger year. But I could also see us flipping him too. I'm fine either way.

You're giving him too much credit, he probably did not pick the Habs because he considered it the free bingo space on his no-trade list. "What are the odds that they trade for me back right?" I do agree Montreal could just eat half and get a decent return. Petry at 6 was a overpriced problem Petry at 2.34 is a steal.

Reactions: cassidy7676

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Worst part about retaining is it spills over into '24-25. When Habs should be contending. I'd try give Petry away instead. The 4.7m caphit would return us a first now. in this era of teams starving for caproom. Plus frees us up another 2.3m in caproom for '24-25.

Petry now at no retention has zero trade value. Dumba just signed for 3.9m. At 3.2m Petry we would get a 2nd tops, more likely a 3rd. If Montreal moves him now. But defensemen trade value usually increases near March trade deadline.
In what Universe will Habs be contending in 24-25?

We don't have a real #1G nor a top G prospect
We don't have a super star #1 F that can notch 100pts
Our D is good, but no all star Dman talent that can be a #1 D for the next 15years.

Habs won't be contenders until we are able to get all of the above.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Our D is good, but no all star Dman talent that can be a #1 D for the next 15years.

Vegas has no of those and still managed to win the cup.

Reactions: 74 others

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Petry is 35 and still a valuable piece for a contender looking for solid depth on the right side, especially around 3 millions per, but he doesn't fit Montreal's window at all. Montreal won't be contending for 2-3 years, at least, if everything goes well.

Montreal already has some vet leadership with Savard, no reason to bring another 30+ D on that roster at this stage.

He will be flipped, my guess is sooner than later.

Reactions: YP44

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Petry retained at 50% (down to 2.3) holds a ton of value to a contender that’s looking for some cheap and reliable right hand shot depth. He can still skate quite well, and would be solid on a second pairing and great on a third pair with a more physical partner.

Habs didn’t bother holding a presser after the deal so you’d have to think they’re already well into negotiations to move him along. We shall see how it all plays out shortly.

Reactions: alasania94

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The idea is Montreal needs to shed ideally about 5 millions before the start of this season.

Saying to wait for the deadline doesn't work.

Maybe to Arizona for a late pick? They certainly could unlock more value at the deadline. Only problem is the NTC.

Except the "idea" means nothing cause the Canadiens don't have to shed anything at all and the notion that dealing with off-season LTIR is some kind of dreaded problem for the team is totally fictional. I'm sure they couldn't care less about having Price on off-season or in-season LTIR.

This is an imaginary problem with an imaginary deadline.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
At full? Nothing. Not before deadline, even that is difficult. At 50%, quite of bit of interest, especially at deadline, just depends if Montreal is looking for something valuable or looking to remove the player's cap.

Snipeshow

Aug 7, 2023
Our media ran him out of town on a rail, but Darnell Nurse always looked at his very best next to Petry. His contract also runs perfectly alongside McDavid and Draisaitl's current deals. Last but not least, his cap hit would fit at 50% retention.

The only question is would he (and his wife) be willing to play/live in Edmonton again. Given this might be his best chance at a Cup, I'd give it a small but non-zero chance.

Reactions: YP44

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Our media ran him out of town on a rail, but Darnell Nurse always looked at his very best next to Petry. His contract also runs perfectly alongside McDavid and Draisaitl's current deals. Last but not least, his cap hit would fit at 50% retention.

The only question is would he (and his wife) be willing to play/live in Edmonton again. Given this might be his best chance at a Cup, I'd give it a small but non-zero chance.
Probably not.

They wanted out of Canada because of the covid restrictions and seem to live in Michigan. Bit more of a travel to Michigan from Alberta than Quebec.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Some teams won Stanley Cups without all of the above.

Reactions: viceroy

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Florida could be a destination for him.

Their two bests RHD are LTIRed, they're in win now mode but with their defense it's gonna be difficult.

I don't know what Flo would be ready to pay, but Habs would probably want to receive a forward for Petry, maybe a guy like Ylonen could be added (to unclog Habs forwards depth). They have plenty of picks and prospects thay could be added too.

I don't know if it makes sense, but I could see HuGo wanting a guy like Reinhart.

Not 1 for 1, nor just with Ylonen added. But a combination of assets that would make sense.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

They played so well together...

Petry in Mtl and Nurse in Edmonton

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Nurse played 2 NHL games during the only season they were both on an NHL roster.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Florida could be a destination for him.

Their two bests RHD are LTIRed, they're in win now mode but with their defense it's gonna be difficult.

I don't know what Flo would be ready to pay, but Habs would probably want to receive a forward for Petry, maybe a guy like Ylonen could be added (to unclog Habs forwards depth). They have plenty of picks and prospects thay could be added too.

I don't know if it makes sense, but I could see HuGo wanting a guy like Reinhart.

Not 1 for 1, nor just with Ylonen added. But a combination of assets that would make sense.
Knight? His cap hit is at 4,5 and with Bobrovsky back to his former self, who knows how they see Knight now

Reactions: NewEraGM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad