Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Petry would’ve been given a promise (by Montreal) that he’s not going anywhere, just to agree to this trade. So unless that deal happens today, and was always part of this, with his blessing, he’s playing in Montreal for the next 2 seasons.

The only way he agrees to another trade, for the 3rd time in 3 years, is if he’s having such a horrible time in Montreal, and at that point he won’t be worth anything anyway.
What gives you the impression that Petry has a no trade clause, especially after being traded twice in the past year?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Petry didn't want to leave the Habs, Petry wanted to leave the crazy covid rules of Quebec and Canada.

It was very clear to anyone that actually paid attention that he was split from his family...and hes very much a family man. He has 4 young sons.

(If you are not aware of the background reasons why he was traded then your opinion is not informed.)

Not going to be suprised if he remains a Hab, but that also depends on how he feels raising his children under Quebec school system. If he's comfortable with that, he might retire as a Hab. That may even have been a promise to him.

On the other hand, at half retained, he "could" fetch a really high pick or a first, give or take a prospect from us. Right now, 2x2nds also makes sense.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Is Petry still a top 4 d?
1691351517402.png

Last season his CF% and TOI was on par with his career averages. He was 0.5PPG. He starts mostly in the defensive zone. His usage with the Pens was similar to the Habs.

He's not a top-pairing #2 dman anymore by any measure. He's second pairing. Can still skate. but he has declined from his peak (during the cup run). Injuries have played a role.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
He's not getting a 1st with retention otherwise Pitt would have likely done that trade instead of them paying for Montreal to take him. The 15 teams not on his ntc are all in the east.

He's a hab for now. Deadline? Might get a 3rd but again, eastern teams only

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's not getting a 1st with retention otherwise Pitt would have likely done that trade instead of them paying for Montreal to take him. The 15 teams not on his ntc are all in the east.

At the TDL, anything can happen. If Petry plays to his career averages and the Habs retain so he's 2.35M caphit, he will have very good value.

I can see Dallas a a potential. Petry's wife is Texan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why tho?

Have have a very young d with Matheson as the only veteran worth anything...

I think that a D mix of

Guhle - Matheson
Harris - Petry
Xhekaj - Savard

Is a good mix of young and vets for the next 2-3 years.

Would like to fit in Barron in there so if Savard can play the left side with a good PMD like Barron so Xhekaj can go to Laval would he great
The 4.7m in caproom. It will bring much more in trade.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i could see the avs being interested at deadline. with ej gone he could play a similar role. habs and avs have traded twice recently with lehkonen and newhook.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Pens werent' in a position to retain 3 million for 2 years. Petry with retention was never considered from pittsburgh.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I think there would be a number of teams interested if Petry hits the market at 2.5-3M with some retention, as his value to the team will certainly exceed his cap hit. Petry’s trade clause will be the main thing limiting the trade, so I wouldn’t expect a tonne of value back.

Personally, I think it would be a great add for the Leafs, Avs or Dallas, but Petry wants to stay in the East apparently.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Petry in the Habs lineup would allow more time for one of Barron / Xhekaj / Harris to develop in Laval. It wouldn't hurt to have Petry start the season in Montreal. A trade could be looked at during the season or at the TDL when there is more flexibility and need.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
What gives you the impression that Petry has a no trade clause, especially after being traded twice in the past year?
Trust me. Petry may not have put MTL on his NTC. But Hughes and Gorton definitely spoke to him about his intentions before the trade and have prepared in consequence (Either if he wants to be a vet for a bubble team or if he wants to be on another contender). KH and JG wouldn't do a player wrong like that. They will roughly follow Petry's intentions.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think Petry at full salary would have mediocre value right now just due to the current cap situation with most teams. But if they retained 50% on his deal, they're definitely getting at least 2 2nds in value back for him. Petry at $2.3 million is a hell of a value.
this ^ montreal will absolutely retain another 25% on his salary to move him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad