Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Petry would’ve been given a promise (by Montreal) that he’s not going anywhere, just to agree to this trade. So unless that deal happens today, and was always part of this, with his blessing, he’s playing in Montreal for the next 2 seasons.

The only way he agrees to another trade, for the 3rd time in 3 years, is if he’s having such a horrible time in Montreal, and at that point he won’t be worth anything anyway.
Believe what you want - the Habs reporters who are usually quite plugged in (Eric Engels, Renaud Lavoie, etc) are all making it fairly clear that Petry is getting flipped before the season. The Habs just went through hoops to dump Joel Edmundson because we have too many young D, they don't want Jeff Petry here clogging up the defence and taking ice time away from a kid.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I thought he was good on the Pens last year. Just got hurt. A 2RD that can hit, shoot, pass and defend well at 2.5M if the Habs retain has to be worth a lot to a contender at the deadline.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Petry would’ve been given a promise (by Montreal) that he’s not going anywhere, just to agree to this trade. So unless that deal happens today, and was always part of this, with his blessing, he’s playing in Montreal for the next 2 seasons.

The only way he agrees to another trade, for the 3rd time in 3 years, is if he’s having such a horrible time in Montreal, and at that point he won’t be worth anything anyway.

Montreal was not on his NTC according to reporters, so he had no say in this trade.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Ottawa and Detroit both make sense to me for Petry. Ottawa would have to include Joseph and maybe Brannstrom for cap reasons.
Detroit has Ghost, Seider and Holl on the right side.

Ottawa is cap strapped, and no way Montreal wants Joseph cap for 3 years.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think Petry at full salary would have mediocre value right now just due to the current cap situation with most teams. But if they retained 50% on his deal, they're definitely getting at least 2 2nds in value back for him. Petry at $2.3 million is a hell of a value.
That's about how I'm seeing it as well.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's been linked to Dallas several times and his wife is from Houston.

This would certainly be a fit. I know it's been suggested that he wants to stick to the East coast / Northeast sort of area. But if his wife is from Texas, i could certainly see that being a viable spot for him to go.

I was really surprised to see him willing to go back to Montreal, since it seemed like they couldn't get out of there fast enough. But it also felt like a huge pressure in that was the cross-border travel restrictions through covid. With that no longer being much of a factor...maybe he realized that Montreal was actually a pretty nice place to live and play. Maybe the steel city wasn't all it's cracked up to be. :laugh:

The Stars could certainly use a solid Top-4 RHD like him. Even if Montreal doesn't retain...that retention that's already on his deal now, brings him down to a very reasonable price for what he offers. Just swapping him for some other salary like Marchment could make it work.

Still seems though, like the Habs could actually just want to hang onto him. He's a good veteran mentor and guy who can help shelter some of the young defencemen coming up. If he's not a malcontent in Montreal, it seems entirely reasonable to just keep him.

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Montreal could leave him unprotected at end of camp. Somebod may claim Petry at 4.7m
Huh? He's under contract with a NMC. They can't waive him or leave him unprotected.

At 4.6M caphit Petry has small value. At 2.35M caphit, he's got 2 x 2nd round picks worth of value. Habs should retain and flip him.

Somehow dumping Hoffman and getting a 2nd round pick in return is magical.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Montreal could leave him unprotected at end of camp. Somebod may claim Petry at 4.7m
Why tho?

Have have a very young d with Matheson as the only veteran worth anything...

I think that a D mix of

Guhle - Matheson
Harris - Petry
Xhekaj - Savard

Is a good mix of young and vets for the next 2-3 years.

Would like to fit in Barron in there so if Savard can play the left side with a good PMD like Barron so Xhekaj can go to Laval would he great

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why tho?

Have have a very young d with Matheson as the only veteran worth anything...

I think that a D mix of

Guhle - Matheson
Harris - Petry
Xhekaj - Savard

Is a good mix of young and vets for the next 2-3 years.

Would like to fit in Barron in there so if Savard can play the left side with a good PMD like Barron so Xhekaj can go to Laval would he great
Matheson and Guhle are LHD.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I assumed that Petry's NTC would definitely include Montreal but it didn't, so I'm not going to make any more assumptions about Petry's NTC :laugh:

A lot of people are saying that, but for me this absolutely makes sense.

Jeff Petry loved his time in Montreal. He had great success, loved the city/fans, and had great time with teammates, etc.

It's true he asked for a trade out of Montreal. But a lot of that had to do with him no longer fitting the team and the direction it was going and needing a change. If he had a NTC where he only had 5 teams, I'm sure Montreal wouldn't make his list, but 15 team list? I dunno - I can definitely see him not blocking Montreal. There are way worst options out there for him.

As a Habs fan I'm happy to see him back. If we keep him to start season - I can definitely see him bouncing back and putting forth a stronger year. But I could also see us flipping him too. I'm fine either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad