Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Knight? His cap hit is at 4,5 and with Bobrovsky back to his former self, who knows how they see Knight now
That's wayyyyyyyyy too much of a risk for the Habs. They already have a lot or vap strapped to goalie and we have no idea how Knight will look after he spent most or last season on the players help program.

4.5 for 3 more years for a goalie that has had MH issues. In the toughest market for goalies in the NHL... Terrible idea

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Best comp for Petry at 50% (2.3m) may be McCabe. GMs hate the 6m cap not Petry himself and MTL can now make it a 2.3m cap so I believe there will be interest if they elect to retain. That being said, all will depend on his NTC. Given the fact he was above 0.5PPG last year and has had one bad season over the past

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Best comp for Petry at 50% (2.3m) may be McCabe. GMs hate the 6m cap not Petry himself and MTL can now make it a 2.3m cap so I believe there will be interest if they elect to retain. That being said, all will depend on his NTC. Given the fact he was above 0.5PPG last year and has had one bad season over the past
who

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Was posted on the Habs board, but he, along with Caufield and others just sucked under Ducharme and he (Petry) played much better after Ducharme was relieved of duties, bur agreed with the comparison

Jake McCabe.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Florida could be a destination for him.

Their two bests RHD are LTIRed, they're in win now mode but with their defense it's gonna be difficult.

I don't know what Flo would be ready to pay, but Habs would probably want to receive a forward for Petry, maybe a guy like Ylonen could be added (to unclog Habs forwards depth). They have plenty of picks and prospects thay could be added too.

I don't know if it makes sense, but I could see HuGo wanting a guy like Reinhart.

Not 1 for 1, nor just with Ylonen added. But a combination of assets that would make sense.
Reinhart makes no sense because of his age.

From a brief look, Panthers don't have a lot young guys. Their win now has depleted their high picks. On the other hand, they have done great with trades/signings that I thought the Habs should have looked at.

Montour, Bennet, Reinhart were on my..."why the f are we not going after them" list.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
In what Universe will Habs be contending in 24-25?

We don't have a real #1G nor a top G prospect
We don't have a super star #1 F that can notch 100pts
Our D is good, but no all star Dman talent that can be a #1 D for the next 15years.

Habs won't be contenders until we are able to get all of the above.
I mean. . . Bruins have all of those and more that you listed above yet they're looked at as a bubble team, so it's subjective to think that simplistic, at least imo.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Splitting hairs. You said #1F that can notch 100 points, not center. But yes you are correct.
My bad.

And I mean, obviously Pasta is great. But he's alone. I see the B beint a playoff team just due to their defense and system, but I am not expecting a record season next year.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Our media ran him out of town on a rail, but Darnell Nurse always looked at his very best next to Petry. His contract also runs perfectly alongside McDavid and Draisaitl's current deals. Last but not least, his cap hit would fit at 50% retention.

The only question is would he (and his wife) be willing to play/live in Edmonton again. Given this might be his best chance at a Cup, I'd give it a small but non-zero chance.
It seemed like Petry's give a shit was completely gone that last season in Edmonton. So many years of playing on a team that kept getting flattened hard. Same with Larsson. Maybe he'd be okay now that the team is competitive, but there are plenty of other contenders.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Our media ran him out of town on a rail, but Darnell Nurse always looked at his very best next to Petry. His contract also runs perfectly alongside McDavid and Draisaitl's current deals. Last but not least, his cap hit would fit at 50% retention.

The only question is would he (and his wife) be willing to play/live in Edmonton again. Given this might be his best chance at a Cup, I'd give it a small but non-zero chance.
They want to stay east, probably because of aging extended family members. I sort of get it except you're a hockey player who made a ton of money you can afford to settle down wherever you want, and fly back to see the family. It not like they stick around town during the off season, and during the season players are on the road constantly. The idea that you have to live in the city you play for is ridiculous.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There seems to be this automatic assumption, if the Habs retain half for the next 2 years, the asset in return is suddenly going to be much more attractive. Forgetting most teams not only have to create a spot for him now, but they know he’s not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

Plus he’s still going to have a significant say where he goes.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is, what’s that value level, where they’re still willing to eat half that salary for the next two years?

All the retention does for other teams is, makes it easier for the acquiring team to trade for him. Doesn’t necessarily change what they’ve been willing to give up for him over these last 6 weeks. Remember, both Buffalo and Detroit could’ve taken that contract. They chose not to.

So what is that level of expected value for retaining $2 million for two years?

Is it a 4th Round Pick? Is it Gustav Lindstrom in return?

Is it a 2nd Round Pick OR an Elmer Soderblom?

Or is it a Chiarot? How about Nate Robertson? Brodie?

I’m guessing that opinion changes on each of those different levels of return, and most people will say that second grouping.. I’m not so sure it’s not much closer to that first group.

What say you Montreal fans?? What’s the absolute least amount of return you’d accept for using a retention slot of $2 million for two years?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There seems to be this automatic assumption, if the Habs retain half for the next 2 years, the asset in return is suddenly going to be much more attractive. Forgetting most teams not only have to create a spot for him now, but they know he’s not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.

I guess the question that needs to be asked is, what’s that value level, where they’re still willing to eat half that salary for the next two years?

All the retention does for other teams is, makes it easier for the acquiring team to trade for him. Doesn’t necessarily change what they’ve been willing to give up for him over these last 6 weeks. Remember, both Buffalo and Detroit could’ve taken that contract. They chose not to.

I’m guessing that opinion changes on each of those different levels of return, and most people will say that second grouping.. I’m not so sure it’s not much closer to that first group.

What say you Montreal fans?? What’s the absolute least amount of return you’d accept for using a retention slot of $2 million for two years?
I'd be disappointed with anything less than a 2nd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm not a Montreal fan, but as a Penguins fan who watched him last year, Petry at $2.3 million should absolutely be able to bring back a 2nd and a solid prospect. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to bring that back.

Petry is a $5 million middle pair D at this point. Acquiring him at $2.3 million is a steal and I'd happily pay a 2nd and a prospect to get that. Sadly the Penguins are literally not allowed to do that.

Petry has declined from where he was at in Montreal, but he's still a very good middle pair D. Any team who needs a RD should be in on him if they can get him for $2.3 million. In a world where Jan Rutta (who I also watched last year) is making $2.75 million, every team who needs a RD and can afford Petry should be in on Petry at $2.3 million.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Petry is still a solid 2nd pairing d. A 3/4.

Given age and trade protection I'd want a

2nd + 3rd/b prospect if we are retaining half

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

It's pretty simple, really. How much teams usually pay for two playoff runs of a top 3 RD with a cap hit of $2.3M?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Habs have no one even close to Eichel Stone Pietrangelo or Theodore on their team
Is Petry maybe the Habs’ best D?

It's pretty simple, really. How much teams usually pay for two playoff runs of a top 3 RD with a cap hit of $2.3M?
Imo Petry will get a lot of ice time with the Habs. So a lot of opportunities to showcase him. Still think his value will be highest in 2025 though.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Habs have no one even close to Eichel Stone Pietrangelo or Theodore on their team
Definitely not for 24-25 season as it was mentioned in original post, but in 5 years it is a different story. No Eichel, but I see Joshua Roy as good as Stone. For Ds we have Guhle, Mailloux, Engstrom and David ... who all have pretty high potential. Plus we have ton of other young players like CC, Slaf, Hutson.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal could move Petry now for a 2nd if they retain. But then Habs going to carry a 2.3m caphit over into '24-25. Not ideal situation for a team expecting to content by then. Especially considering it for extra 2nd. Not really much

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I’d like him on Toronto honestly but they’re so tight against the cap even at 2 million is improbable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad