Value of: Jeff Petry (with or without retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Q
Where do you draw the line at retaining $2.3 million for two years? For instance, if they retain the $2.3 and only get a 6th rounder for Petry, I’m going to guess you wouldn’t be on board with wasting the retention slot only getting a 6th rounder for doing so.

It seems to be that “line in the sand”, is a 2nd rounder from most of the responses. I haven’t seen anyone say they’d be ok with wasting a retention spot (for 2 years) and only get a 3rd Rounder in return.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Where do you draw the line at retaining $2.3 million for two years? For instance, if they retain the $2.3 and only get a 6th rounder for Petry, I’m going to guess you wouldn’t be on board with wasting the retention slot only getting a 6th rounder for doing so.

It seems to be that “line in the sand”, is a 2nd rounder from most of the responses. I haven’t seen anyone say they’d be ok with wasting a retention spot (for 2 years) and only get a 3rd Rounder in return.
a second for 2.3 over 2 seasons doesn't represent market value. If he was traded before this season started I'd honestly expect/hope for more. At the tdl I could see only a 2nd as its basically for one season.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I highly doubt Petry even sets foot in Montreal,

He will be gone before camp, that was probably agreed upon before the trade took place
Maybe. Maybe not.

Hughes isn't goind to have a fire sale just because Petry wants it. Last time there was also a trade request early on and it took months before it was made.

The reason I think that the trade is not coming as quickly is that teams are close to the training camps and they want to see what they have before going out to get what they need.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

2nd is probably just below the floor, at least right now. The truth is that:

-its going to be very hard for any team to find a player that can provide what Petry does for two playoff runs at a cap hit under 2.5 mil.
-Petry is still a good player. Montreal is still rebuilding, but they're not tanking. Petry would be their best RD by a country mile, would help address their transition issues and the org already knows he's a fit in the locker room.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Great, now we need to listen to all the habs fans for the next 6 months telling us that they are getting a first round pick for Petry at the deadline :rolleyes:
Great, now we get to read to all the whiny non-habs fans for the next six months devaluing a player and making sweeping generalizations about the whole fanbase because they saw one-two outrageous proposals.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

-its going to be very hard for any team to find a player that can provide what Petry does for two playoff runs at a cap hit under 2.5 mil.
-Petry is still a good player. Montreal is still rebuilding, but they're not tanking. Petry would be their best RD by a country mile, would help address their transition issues and the org already knows he's a fit in the locker room.
Key word here is RD.

RD is a more value position in the NHL than LD. If Montreal retains they will find a buyer.

I agree that it will be hard to find a better 2 year rental @ 2.5mil. (easy to aquire). There will be teams interested, for sure, if Montreal decides to move him.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

My opinion from the moment the trade happened, knowing his situation and who he is as a player now, compared to 3-4 years ago, is that he’s probably staying in Montreal for the two years, to be that “fit in the locker room” you just mentioned.

All because of one very speculative tweet, with no inside information whatsoever, everyone just jumped on this retention, flipping him for a 2nd thing, and it’s likely just not in the cards.

We’re already 3 days into this and if they had a deal, or it was going to be so easy to flip him, like people were saying, it would’ve happened already.

He’s lost a visible step, and the problem is, he hasn’t adjusted his game yet. Much like Dumba hasn’t adjusted his game, and we seen how Minnesota was getting no calls on him at the deadline and he just had to sign in Arizona. We also seen how it just took the Pens 6 weeks to manufacture a trade for Petry with retention.

Contenders are after efficient, responsible and no-nonsense role players on the blue line. Not guys who’ve lost a step but still try being the player they once were. The unforced turnovers kill you in the playoffs.

He’s much closer to a Dumba when it comes to failing to adjust after losing a step.. Where contenders much prefer to spend their assets on a McCabe, Giordano, Maatta, and Martinez, who’ve adjusted their games and became efficient, responsible role players.

If he goes to Montreal and takes on that mentor role, like Maatta did in Detroit last year, and adjusts his game, no longer forcing errors because he’s trying to do too much, they can absolutely get a 2nd or 3rd for him.

I just don’t think that’s in the cards right now and I’ve watched him play for 20+ years.. He can’t do it anymore. He’s not that same player.
There’s a reason Pittsburgh chose to get rid of him instead of Pettersson. You just don’t know what you’re going to get from Petry game to game.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
My opinion from the moment the trade happened, knowing his situation and who he is as a player now, compared to 3-4 years ago, is that he’s probably staying in Montreal for the two years, to be that “fit in the locker room” you just mentioned.

All because of one very speculative tweet, with no inside information whatsoever, everyone just jumped on this retention, flipping him for a 2nd thing, and it’s likely just not in the cards.

We’re already 3 days into this and if they had a deal, or it was going to be so easy to flip him, like people were saying, it would’ve happened already.

He’s lost a visible step, and the problem is, he hasn’t adjusted his game yet. Much like Dumba hasn’t adjusted his game, and we seen how Minnesota was getting no calls on him at the deadline and he just had to sign in Arizona. We also seen how it just took the Pens 6 weeks to manufacture a trade for Petry with retention.

Contenders are after efficient, responsible and no-nonsense role players on the blue line. Not guys who’ve lost a step but still try being the player they once were. The unforced turnovers kill you in the playoffs.

He’s much closer to a Dumba when it comes to failing to adjust after losing a step.. Where contenders much prefer to spend their assets on a McCabe, Giordano, Maatta, and Martinez, who’ve adjusted their games and became efficient, responsible role players.

If he goes to Montreal and takes on that mentor role, like Maatta did in Detroit last year, and adjusts his game, no longer forcing errors because he’s trying to do too much, they can absolutely get a 2nd or 3rd for him.

I just don’t think that’s in the cards right now and I’ve watched him play for 20+ years.. He can’t do it anymore. He’s not that same player.
There’s a reason Pittsburgh chose to get rid of him instead of Pettersson. You just don’t know what you’re going to get from Petry game to game.
But he's always had consistency issues- he can play 20 truly bad games where his confidence is shot, followed by 20 Norris level games. This isn't new...

Reactions: Petes2424

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry's value is tricky to nail down.
* Age 35/36 and 36/37 seasons left.
* Hasn't played a full season for a few seasons now.
* $4.69M left for two seasons.
* Still producing decent offensive numbers
* Big body that still skates well for his age and is a RD which is hard to find.

I think he's a good solution for 2nd pairing RD but from what I know with Petry, he's not good at mentoring a young partner as a pairing. He doesn't suck at it entirely but the best we seen from Petry is when he was with someone like Eddy.

I'm sure he can still help a team win but cap space is an issue and we probably have to retain and/or take back a 1 year cap dump to help the other team fit him in their cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs/Oilers possible trade
* Petry (50% retention.. $2.34M)
for
* Ceci (2 years left at $3.25M)
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Saves the Oilers almost $1M to help sign Bouchard to a bridge
Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

Habs gain a future 2nd. Ceci probably is depth for us and depending on how he does with us, maybe we buy him out next summer.

Is this worth it for both sides? Not sure. 2nd rounders have value but so does cap space. Does Petry fit the Oilers and is a good partner for Nurse? Also not sure.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
for
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

Habs gain a future 2nd. Ceci probably is depth for us and depending on how he does with us, maybe we buy him out next summer.

Is this worth it for both sides? Not sure. 2nd rounders have value but so does cap space. Does Petry fit the Oilers and is a good partner for Nurse? Also not sure.
Probably a moot point as I suspect Edm is on Petry's NTC list.

Don't really want Ceci back- he won't be as easy to move as petry. At a minimum the retention would have to lower so that Petry is at the same as Ceci. If Ceci is included then the Pick has to be better if I am retaining on Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably a moot point as I suspect Edm is on Petry's NTC list.

Don't really want Ceci back- he won't be as easy to move as petry. At a minimum the retention would have to lower so that Petry is at the same as Ceci. If Ceci is included then the Pick has to be better if I am retaining on Petry.

How many teams have Petry's 50% retention cap hit as cap space left? Not many and most of them are teams rebuilding and won't trade their 2nd rounders.

In order to move Petry, we would have to take back a contract like Ceci. I rather not as well but that's the type of trade that will have to happen if we can move Petry.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
How many teams have Petry's 50% retention cap hit as cap space left? Not many and most of them are teams rebuilding and won't trade their 2nd rounders.

In order to move Petry, we would have to take back a contract like Ceci. I rather not as well but that's the type of trade that will have to happen if we can move Petry.

Petry should be traded for picks and prospects. We don't need players.

Reactions: viceroy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree but go look up who has cap space in the NHL at the moment. Not many can even fit his 50% cap hit in and I suspect most of the teams who do have cap space, might be on his NTC list.

Available cap from other teams and his 15 team NTC list are major factors here.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I agree but go look up who has cap space in the NHL at the moment. Not many can even fit his 50% cap hit in and I suspect most of the teams who do have cap space, might be on his NTC list.

Available cap from other teams and his 15 team NTC list are major factors here.

That's why I think he begins in MTL. We will start with 13 F, 8 D.

DeSmith/Allen has a better chance to be traded before camp.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
with the Habs dipping into LTIR, don’t they want to keep Petry or at least his salary for the start of the season? Retention makes no sense. if they trade him they want money coming back.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
That's easier said then done. With Petry's salary and the way most contenders are shapped up, we would need to take back a contract. Best case, take back a player that's contract is up at the end of this upcoming season and save 1 year

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
for
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

Remove Ceci and insert Foegele, and a 2nd.
The Oilers are trying to improve their blueline and that doesn't work when trading a younger healthier defenseman. Even though Ceci wasn't as good as the previous season he is still a fine 2nd pair defenseman(even though he played 1st pair ES/PK last 2 seasons)

Nurse - Ceci
Ekholm - Bouchard*
Kulak - Petry
Broberg - Desharnais(I'm guessing at least one of them would be moved for forward depth)

*Bouchard isn't ready for top pairing ES minutes yet

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Probably very few teams that can fit him in without moving someone out. That does not mean we have to take that someone. If we retain Max on Petry (2.34M) and take someone like Ceci back at 3.25M that is $5.6M of Cap space that we are eating for 2 years and a retention slot tied up for 2 years. That will cost way more than a 2nd.

I don't think Ceci is better than any of Savard, Barron, Kovacevic on the right side. Petry is. I would rather keep Petry and move him at the deadline when teams will be able to fit him in easier. As I said Edm is probably on his No Trade list anyway.

No need to move Petry just for the sake of moving him. The offer will come. wait for someone to get into injury problems. The one thing Hughes has shown is patience... he will wait and he should wait.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
for
* Oilers 2026 2nd

Ekholm / Bouchard
Nurse / Petry
Kulak / Desharnais

too much of a potential headache for just a 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad