Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Petry may be one of the of the few people who doesn't have Buffalo on his no trade list. He always wanted to be close to Michigan so he may basically just have the western conference on his list.
Many of the Western Conference teams would probably be acceptable, too, as they are closer to Michigan than some of the Eastern teams. Chicago, Nashville, Minnesota, St. Louis -- even Denver and Dallas are about the same distance as Miami.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think he’d be a great player fit with the Canes, but his contract doesn’t fit, with all the Canes’ RFAs coming up this summer.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Many of the Western Conference teams would probably be acceptable, too, as they are closer to Michigan than some of the Eastern teams. Chicago, Nashville, Minnesota, St. Louis -- even Denver and Dallas are about the same distance as Miami.

Fair enough, I'm willing to bet his no trade list atm is

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Toronto
Ottawa
Seattle
Arizona

Then if it's true he isn't a fan how strict some of lockdown restrictions I'm guessing
Sanjose
Anaheim
LA
Rangers
Islanders
Jersey

Buffalo?

Reactions: Whalers Fan

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Could see Petry for Samuel Girard as a starting point.
Assuming the Habs include their 2022 1st unprotected, sure. Or Guhle and Caufield.

Avs need Petrys negative value contract as badly as they need the negative value Price or negative value Drouin.

nice tape to tape assist Petry had on the short handed goal last night. Just too bad it was a Columbus player he sent in alone on a breakaway.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Assuming the Habs include their 2022 1st unprotected, sure. Or Guhle and Caufield.

Avs need Petrys negative value contract as badly as they need the negative value Price or negative value Drouin.

nice tape to tape assist Petry had on the short handed goal last night. Just too bad it was a Columbus player he sent in alone on a breakaway.

Yeah I agree it doesn’t make sense unless they can get rid of Girard’s bad contract in the process and since Avs don’t have a first they are not a fit for Petry.

Maybe Ottawa will pick him up with a sweetener. Byram maybe? It’s a huge risk for Ottawa since he’s injury prone and he doesn’t seem to like Colorado as he deserted the team after not being treated well by the medical staff

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I doubt Montreal wants to retain for multiple years.

That makes the issue that playoff teams just dont have space to add 6.25 out of nowhere. Maybe there could be some money sent the other way but Montreal would likely only take 1 year cap dumps. They arent going to assume they are in store for a long rebuild

But, Petry is still a very good Dman. He is a good target.

I have no idea what Montreal might want to do, but I think they'd be fine with retaining or taking cap back if the return justified it. It sounds like Montreal is preparing for a rebuild for at least the next few years, and its pretty well understood that they'll need to retain on some guys to get the futures they want. The organization in the past has been okay with dead money and Gorton has been okay with dead money in the past too.

I think Montreal would be motivated to get him to the US (closer to Michigan), but I don't think they'll just move him just to satisfy his desire to be closer to family. It would need to makes sense for the team as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have no idea what Montreal might want to do, but I think they'd be fine with retaining or taking cap back if the return justified it. It sounds like Montreal is preparing for a rebuild for at least the next few years, and its pretty well understood that they'll need to retain on some guys to get the futures they want. The organization in the past has been okay with dead money and Gorton has been okay with dead money in the past too.

I think Montreal would be motivated to get him to the US (closer to Michigan), but I don't think they'll just move him just to satisfy his desire to be closer to family. It would need to makes sense for the team as well.
I agree about Petry, but I disagree about the rebuild. Price is staying there. They were in the SCF last summer. They have been impacted by injuries. Whether it is a good idea or not, they will aim to be a playoff team next year. It's a virtual guarantee. Because of that, I highly doubt they tie their hands by trading off Petry and absorbing dead cap in the process

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I agree about Petry, but I disagree about the rebuild. Price is staying there. They were in the SCF last summer. They have been impacted by injuries. Whether it is a good idea or not, they will aim to be a playoff team next year. It's a virtual guarantee. Because of that, I highly doubt they tie their hands by trading off Petry and absorbing dead cap in the process

You can disagree, but the signaling from new management and ownership is at the very least they're going to retool for a couple of years. Injuries and COVID have hurt them more than any other team in the NHL and they've arguably been the most unlucky team in the NHL as well, but they're still not close to being a playoff team. And its pretty clear that Gorton and Hughes knows that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah I agree it doesn’t make sense unless they can get rid of Girard’s bad contract in the process and since Avs don’t have a first they are not a fit for Petry.

Maybe Ottawa will pick him up with a sweetener. Byram maybe? It’s a huge risk for Ottawa since he’s injury prone and he doesn’t seem to like Colorado as he deserted the team after not being treated well by the medical staff
Girards got 26 points in 41 games. His .64 PPG is more than Gallagher, Josh Anderson, Hoffman and Suzuki.

You know, Forwards that are paid to score. Or in the Habs case, not score and rack up obscenely negative plus/minus stats.

or Chiarots whooping nine points and minus 25 which you’re trying to sell as a top pick worthy player. Or Petrys 1 goal and six points in 37 games while making $6.25mm.

If Girard is negative value, what does that mean for the Habs players producing far less on the worst team in the NHL?

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Girards got 26 points in 41 games. His .64 PPG is more than Gallagher, Josh Anderson, Hoffman and Suzuki.

You know, Forwards that are paid to score. Or in the Habs case, not score and rack up obscenely negative plus/minus stats.

or Chiarots whooping nine points and minus 25 which you’re trying to sell as a top pick worthy player. Or Petrys 1 goal and six points in 37 games while making $6.25mm.

If Girard is negative value, what does that mean for the Habs players producing far less on the worst team in the NHL.
If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say that playing for the best offensive team in the league can help someone's offensive game out more than playing for the 2nd worst offensive team in the league (nearly half the amount of goals/game). Girard got pantsed in the playoffs while Chiarot was one of the best players for the team that just went to the finals. Now don't get me wrong, Girard is absolutely better than Chiarot and he's more valuable than Petry, but your post is just severely flawed. Chiarot is a good player who's been great in the playoffs and Petry was one of the best dmen in the league last year and has been a great player for many years before that.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Unless the Habs retain, it’s the Habs that will need to include assets to move that full contract. Petry is negative value.

Always some joker on hfboards saying this about players with much worse stats/contract/pedigree than Petry yet time after time they get moved for assets.

Reality is that for past 3-4 years Petry is a legit 2-3 D man on 90% of clubs and he played great in the SCF run. Half a season on a train-wreck team this year does not negate all that. Many GMs will be interested in this guy because big body, veteran top 4 D-men do not grow on trees.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Always some joker on hfboards saying this about players with much worse stats/contract/pedigree than Petry yet time after time they get moved for assets.

Reality is that for past 3-4 years Petry is a legit 2-3 D man on 90% of clubs and he played great in the SCF run. Half a season on a train-wreck team this year does not negate all that. Many GMs will be interested in this guy because big body, veteran top 4 D-men do not grow on trees.
Go ahead and show me one player since Covid with a $6.25mm cap hit with stats as bad as Petry, that’s been traded.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Counter, Philly's 2nd next year and Buffalo's 4th.

I’d prefer to hold on for a first.

If Girard is negative value, what does that mean for the Habs players producing far less on the worst team in the NHL.

When you have a guy like Toews who’s career high was what… 26 points? And suddenly becomes a PPG player you have to ask yourself a some questions. Girard production would probably not go over 20 points on a middle of the pack team - let alone a basement team.

He’s also one of the biggest anchor I’ve ever seen in the playoff. Girard was #3D on a team that was absolutely destroyed by Vegas. Petry was the #2D on a team that took the same Vegas team to the cleaners a week and a half later.

Last year in the playoff, Girard would have been on the third pair for Montreal behind Chiarot and Edmundson, maybe even moved to his off side on the third pairing with a limited role or see a few games from the press box since Romanov was superior to him during the playoff.

Think about that before posting another stupid comment

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Petry (15% retain) for Klingberg + 2nd.

Both player asked for a trade. Petry has 3 more years, Alot of team would sign him for 5.3M / 3 if he was UFA. Klingberg is UFA, Dallas will have a hard time flipping him for a current player to help them contend, Petry gives them that.

Dallas gets a legit top 4, arguably top 2 if he doesn't have to be THE guy, wich he wouldn't.

Montreal gets a 2nd round pick, have 1 month and a half to to try and sign Klingberg at a decent cap hit. If he doesn't want to play here ( wich i would understand considering his age) you flip him at the deadline for prospect and picks.

PS: I know Petry is playing terrible right now, but we got to take things into perspective. He doesn't want to be here, his familly isn't here anymore, the covid situation in canada and the whole team is currentely collapsing. I think it's circonstantial, Petry isn't a different player than he was 6 month ago.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I’d prefer to hold on for a first.

I understand that.......but without retention (and I see no reason why MTL would retain), I don't think you get a first.

I think a 2nd plus something decent is the ceiling for an unretained Petry.

That said, there's no way I expected Risto to fetch us a 1st AND a 2nd AND a prospect (who is absolutely killing it). So who knows.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
petry is top 10 in offensive categories in the league the last 4 years ; he's been trending UPWARDS offensively since he hit 30. he's incredibly affordable for what he brings, and yet all the GM's in here and hab haters think he's worth your garbage and lousy picks. This season has been a disaster for him and habs in general. he was injured during playoffs, had no recovery time and has been affected- along with his family - by the lockdowns in Canada. RD with elite offensive abilities are worth more than 99% of the offers in here. Dmen age better than forwards

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad