Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think most teams have a longer memory than us posters - he is done in MTL but he's a great add for a team going for it.

Reactions: CapSpace

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trading Petry now would be a huge mistake. There's just no way to get value after this disastrous season given how poorly he's played. At the same time, I find it incredibly unlike the guy went from Norris talks to entirely forgetting how to play hockey.

It's better to revist this next season when he, hopefully, rebounds.

The sales job would be in luring teams with how Petry played not even one year ago, not how he's performed in current circumstances on a Montreal team in freefall. NHL GM's are going to look at his body of work and based on how most of them operate, they're expect the older Petry and discount the circumstances of his current situation.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The sales job would be in luring teams with how Petry played not even one year ago, not how he's performed in current circumstances on a Montreal team in freefall. NHL GM's are going to look at his body of work and based on how most of them operate, they're expect the older Petry and discount the circumstances of his current situation.
they'll look at his body of work from the last five years, not the goldfish memory takes of HF posters

Reactions: Chainshot

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Trading Petry now would be a huge mistake. There's just no way to get value after this disastrous season given how poorly he's played. At the same time, I find it incredibly unlike the guy went from Norris talks to entirely forgetting how to play hockey.

It's better to revist this next season when he, hopefully, rebounds.
The thing is that he probably won't come to next year's camp in Mtl if we still have him. I think he will get traded this summer if we can't at the deadline.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
No it wouldn't because Girard isn't a need for the Habs and Petry is clearly the better player , if they do move him it'll be for a better return than Girard IMO .
Yeah no. As a Habs fan, Girard is better than Petry, younger and cheaper. But you are right, Girard isn't a need for the Habs right now.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The thing is that he probably won't come to next year's camp in Mtl if we still have him. I think he will get traded this summer if we can't at the deadline.

Absolutely. Hence why Dallas is a great trade partners for a deal including Klingberg and Petry. Both players asked for trades. Both players won't be back next year with their current team. Klingberg will be traded before the deadline. Dallas needs a replacement at least for this year's race.

And there is a lot of time to figure this out with a third team being interested in Klingberg for futures.

I could see Flames, Preds and Toronto as teams interested in Klingberg. Preds could also be interested to Petry directly.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think most teams have a longer memory than us posters - he is done in MTL but he's a great add for a team going for it.
This is the actual right answer, especially in a world where top Defenceman are getting 8-9M+ petry is a 3 year gamble where his point totals had him at just outside the Norris race. For a GM who has an average position Lifespan of about 5 years he’s a worthwhile gamble for a team assuming this year is the outlier

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Absolutely. Hence why Dallas is a great trade partners for a deal including Klingberg and Petry. Both players asked for trades. Both players won't be back next year with their current team. Klingberg will be traded before the deadline. Dallas needs a replacement at least for this year's race.

And there is a lot of time to figure this out with a third team being interested in Klingberg for futures.

I could see Flames, Preds and Toronto as teams interested in Klingberg. Preds could also be interested to Petry directly.
It will be a 3 way trades if Petry is trade to Dallas vs Klingberg. I don’t care at all to acquire a pending UFA in Klingberg wich won’t bring anything to us and leave next summer. We don’t need cap space too for the next 2 years, so to have Petry under our salary cap doesnt bother me at all.. we want futures and we could retain salary on klingberg if it’s a 3 way trade. But thats it. I don’t want to be stuck with him

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
We don't, it's just some twisted scenario in which we trade Klingberg for a higher return. It makes 0 sense to me.

It makes alot of sense. It's just a matter making it work. Most probably, it won't work, but if they can find a third team to work with, who knows.

Petry won't get many suitors if you ask me. Also, Petry has a 15 teams no trade lists. So it narrows things down alot. But Dallas may be one of the teams that check both requirements. Maybe also Nashville. I can see Toronto and Flames also having interest in Petry but i doubt Petry accepts a trade to another canadian team.

The other interesting thing is in a process of a three way deal, Habs can retain on both Petry and Klinberg.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
It will be a 3 way trades if Petry is trade to Dallas vs Klingberg. I don’t care at all to acquire a pending UFA in Klingberg wich won’t bring anything to us and leave next summer. We don’t need cap space too for the next 2 years, so to have Petry under our salary cap doesnt bother me at all.. we want futures and we could retain salary on klingberg if it’s a 3 way trade. But thats it. I don’t want to be stuck with him

Off course. We have no buisness keeping Klingberg. If Habs want to replace Petry for the purpose of mentoring young guys, Letang would be a way better and free option this summer, if he doesn't resign with pitts.

Reactions: Hins77

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It makes alot of sense. It's just a matter making it work. Most probably, it won't work, but if they can find a third team to work with, who knows.

Petry won't get many suitors if you ask me. Also, Petry has a 15 teams no trade lists. So it narrows things down alot. But Dallas may be one of the teams that check both requirements. Maybe also Nashville. I can see Toronto and Flames also having interest in Petry but i doubt Petry accepts a trade to another canadian team.

The other interesting thing is in a process of a three way deal, Habs can retain on both Petry and Klinberg.

Why does everyone with any kind of nhl connection say he is generating interest but you don’t believe he will?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Why does everyone with any kind of nhl connection say he is generating interest but you don’t believe he will?

yeah well. A lot of teams will show interest but won't be willing to pay the price or will demand a substantial amount retained on his contract. For a team to pay the price, it has to make sense hockey and money wise. For example, i can't see a team like Detroit paying the required price, which are futures, while they still need their prospects and picks to get better. And i can't see a team like Washington paying 6,5M$ for a poorman's Carlson.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Yeah no. As a Habs fan, Girard is better than Petry, younger and cheaper. But you are right, Girard isn't a need for the Habs right now.
I respect your opinion but I see Girard as a Victor Mete type in a much better situation on a much , much better team , I think that if he played for the Habs the narrative would go something like this - small , weak , overpaid d-man for multiple years that the Habs would have to pay assets to move . Just my opinion though , cheers .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad