Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
i think the idea here is to flip klingberg the deadline . his higher value will be beneficial in zeroing in on a specific prospect the habs would want .
I understand the premise but how much better do you think the return for Klingberg will be than what we're giving up ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t see Dallas moving Klingberg if they’re still in the playoff race at the deadline. If so, they most likely will keep him as their own rental.

Petry is completely irrelevant here and the guy I was responding to seem to have a hard time reading a full post. I never even mentioned Petry for Klingberg (that would also be a stupid move for Montreal who’s looking for futures). All I said was Dallas ain’t going to be sellers if they’re fighting for a playoff spot (which they are). That would send a stupidly negative message to your dressing room.

You replied to a post replying on Kling for Petry.

& in no way shape or form would Kling for Petry be stupid move for Montreal, it would be the best they can get.
Montreal flips Kling for superior return vs what they could get for Petry

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't see him being moved until the summer. He'll probably take time away at the end of the year like Drouin did.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I understand the premise but how much better do you think the return for Klingberg will be than what we're giving up ?
well personally if i was hughes / gorton i would try to acquire klingberg as a trade piece to zero in on a particular prospect . klingberg at 50% retained becomes a very valuable piece to every contender . for example there's a young blue liner in los angeles 's system would be sweet . LA may not be the best example but klingberg retained should bring back a can't miss prospect to add to wright suzuki romanov caufield guhle etc . a late first is less appealing

a better example may be hendrix laperierre from the capitals . caps fans wouldn't consider moving him but would klingberg at 50% for a cup run interest them . i think klingberg would hold more value than that

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I don’t see Dallas moving Klingberg if they’re still in the playoff race at the deadline. If so, they most likely will keep him as their own rental.

Petry is completely irrelevant here and the guy I was responding to seem to have a hard time reading a full post. I never even mentioned Petry for Klingberg (that would also be a stupid move for Montreal who’s looking for futures). All I said was Dallas ain’t going to be sellers if they’re fighting for a playoff spot (which they are). That would send a stupidly negative message to your dressing room.
the idea would be to flip klingberg for a more desirable prospect. dallas could do that on their own but than their sending the message their giving up on the season

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You replied to a post replying on Kling for Petry.

& in no way shape or form would Kling for Petry be stupid move for Montreal, it would be the best they can get.
Montreal flips Kling for superior return vs what they could get for Petry

Go read the post back. The first sentence I wrote was Petry might not be the answer but it would be stupid to trade Klingberg for futures

the idea would be to flip klingberg for a more desirable prospect. dallas could do that on their own but than their sending the message their giving up on the season

In theory, yes, that would be ideal for the long term but they’re still in the race, I highly doubt they do that unless they get another top 4 RHD back in a separate trade

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Except that if Dallas is selling at the deadline they don’t need a top 4 right away. They can bring Harley up and let him play or move Hakanpaa up. If neither seems to fit in the top 4 then they could look for a replacement during the offseason, someone who’s younger and cheaper than Petry.

Also Klingberg is supposedly only asking for a million or so more (with term though) than what Petry makes. I don’t see why Dallas would bring in Petry rather than just fit Klingberg in at that point.
If they could just "just fit Klingberg in" I think it would be done already and there's a huge difference between looking for a replacement and actually finding one , clearly Harley & Hakanpaa aren't the answer(yet) and why would a veteran laden team built to compete & win now suddenly decide to sell at the deadline in the middle of a playoff race ? The only reasons I could think of were long term injuries to key players or Dallas suddenly falling out of the playoff race , neither of which has happened (yet) .

Last edited:

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
well personally if i was hughes / gorton i would try to acquire klingberg as a trade piece to zero in on a particular prospect . klingberg at 50% retained becomes a very valuable piece to every contender . for example there's a young blue liner in los angeles 's system would be sweet . LA may not be the best example but klingberg retained should bring back a can't miss prospect to add to wright suzuki romanov caufield guhle etc . a late first is less appealing

a better example may be hendrix laperierre from the capitals . caps fans wouldn't consider moving him but would klingberg at 50% for a cup run interest them . i think klingberg would hold more value than that
Moving Klingberg for Petry solves a lot of problems for the Stars and I don't see why the Habs should be paying Dallas to solve those problems . The options for the Stars are to keep him for the playoff run and let him walk for free in the off season or re-sign him for 8 million plus with term if thats even an option given the cap implications or sell him at the deadline for futures , which imo isn't even an option for a team like Dallas & GMJN . It's my humble opinion that the Stars should be the team adding if a trade like this were to take place .

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Go read the post back. The first sentence I wrote was Petry might not be the answer but it would be stupid to trade Klingberg for futures

In theory, yes, that would be ideal for the long term but they’re still in the race, I highly doubt they do that unless they get another top 4 RHD back in a separate trade
well if they were to accept a package of petry lehkonen and a third for klingberg and khubodin they would not have to give up on the season and could also trade petry after the season for more futures .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Moving Klingberg for Petry solves a lot of problems for the Stars and I don't see why the Habs should be paying Dallas to solve those problems . The options for the Stars are to keep him for the playoff run and let him walk for free in the off season or re-sign him for 8 million plus with term if thats even an option give the cap implications or sell him at the deadline for futures , which imo isn't even an option for a team like Dallas & GMJN . It's my humble opinion that the Stars should be the team adding if a trade like this were to take place .
we're not getting klingberg plus for petry in any deal . you have to be at least a little bit reasonable.

we may be helping dallas in some way but the end result is obtaining an A prospect for klingberg that is a key piece to our future

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Have we ever seen something like that? Seems risky to the Habs to me. When does that type of trade happen and does Klingberg play any games for the Habs? Habs would look like idiots if Klingberg gets hurt.

Only way I see that happening if it's a 3 way that happens on the same day. Stars get Petry, Other team gets Klingberg, and the Habs get futures.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Moving Klingberg for Petry solves a lot of problems for the Stars and I don't see why the Habs should be paying Dallas to solve those problems . The options for the Stars are to keep him for the playoff run and let him walk for free in the off season or re-sign him for 8 million plus with term if thats even an option give the cap implications or sell him at the deadline for futures , which imo isn't even an option for a team like Dallas & GMJN . It's my humble opinion that the Stars should be the team adding if a trade like this were to take place .

There is no way to spin it. Under the same contract term, Klingberg is worth more. But Petry has term left and Klingberg is a pending UFA. That's not equal value. Even if Klingberg is a few years younger.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
well if they were to accept a package of petry lehkonen and a third for klingberg and khubodin they would not have to give up on the season and could also trade petry after the season for more futures .

Why do the Habs need Klingberg anyway? Why not just get a first for Lehkonen and whatever we can for Petry

Reactions: CAUFIELD

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Not when looking at the history of trades made for defensemen of his age. That's GM's setting value, not fans.
I think you're just repeating what I said , it's a much bigger worry for posters , not so much so for actual G.M's focused on winning .

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Could see Petry for Samuel Girard as a starting point.
I don't think the Habs are in the position to trade away their top prospects and/or picks. Because lots of those would need to be added by Montreal if you want a Petry for Girard deal.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
we're not getting klingberg plus for petry in any deal . you have to be at least a little bit reasonable.

we may be helping dallas in some way but the end result is obtaining an A prospect for klingberg that is a key piece to our future
I don't think any team adds to a star d-man with term and reasonable contract for an unrestricted free agent , the most I would do is take back a useful dump similar to Tatar to make the cap work , anymore than that , I Keep Petry or shop him elsewhere .

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006

So the deal would look something like this , Petry a second rounder probably 33rd. overall and a very good prospect in Mysak plus 5o% retention on Klingberg for Laperierre ? Just doesn't look like a good deal for the Habs , they could do much better .

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Have we ever seen something like that? Seems risky to the Habs to me. When does that type of trade happen and does Klingberg play any games for the Habs? Habs would look like idiots if Klingberg gets hurt.

Only way I see that happening if it's a 3 way that happens on the same day. Stars get Petry, Other team gets Klingberg, and the Habs get futures.
Could see this

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
I don't think the Habs are in the position to trade away their top prospects and/or picks. Because lots of those would need to be added by Montreal if you want a Petry for Girard deal.
The Habs have a large stable of good young dmen on the way , no need to waste assets on a small dman built for the regular season and not the playoffs . I do hope he performs better in this years playoff run for you guys than he did in the Last two though .

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Trading Petry now would be a huge mistake. There's just no way to get value after this disastrous season given how poorly he's played. At the same time, I find it incredibly unlike the guy went from Norris talks to entirely forgetting how to play hockey.

It's better to revist this next season when he, hopefully, rebounds.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The Habs have a large stable of good young dmen on the way , no need to waste assets on a small dman built for the regular season and not the playoffs . I do hope he performs better in this years playoff run for you guys than he did in the Last two though .
Im not an Avs fan - so not you guys - but your point stands, as does mine, that a trade involving Girard and Petry would require a major + from the Habs side.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Im not an Avs fan - so not you guys - but your point stands, as does mine, that a trade involving Girard and Petry would require a major + from the Habs side.
No it wouldn't because Girard isn't a need for the Habs and Petry is clearly the better player , if they do move him it'll be for a better return than Girard IMO .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad