Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Lol. What do you think you can get for Petry?
well considering he had 42 pts in 55 games last year plus was awesome in the playoffs he will garner some interest . i'm not sore how an individual can lose all his value in 6-8 months like your suggesting . even at 6 million for a solid 3-4 he's in the right price range . not sure why your getting so defensive about petry . it's not like he wants to go to vancouver

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Habs just gutting their cup final defense from last year.

no weber
Chariot likely gone at the deadline
Now petry?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
hard to know. Girard is 23, having another great season and signed at $5mm.

Petry is having a brutal season under a new contract at $6.25mm and his value is at a nadir. Very low. Not a good time to trade him is it? Similar to Gallagher, drouin, Hoffman, Price and so on.

Habs are unlikely to make trades with anyone. Chairot is probably the only player they’ll move prior to the trade deadline. It’s a buyers market and if Vancouver, Winnipeg, Seattle, the Ducks and NYI decide to sell, the market will be flooded with good rental options.

Petry, 34, carried his team to the SCF.

Girard, 23, sunk his team twice in the second round in the past two years.

Great regular season stat padder though, I’ll give you that

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Habs just gutting their cup final defense from last year.

no weber
Chariot likely gone at the deadline
Now petry?

Yup lol and you just know that even if Gorton labels it "a rebuild", that fans will be impatient within the first season. Our #1 D at the end of the season could be Edmunson - thinks may ache for a while

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Petry played through an injury to his finger last year that he would have otherwise had to get surgery for. This year he has had 2 separate injuries that he played through. One of them he even ended up missing a few games. Call it what you want, but all of this does not bode well for a 34 year old.

Myers has 1 less year of salary at a slightly lower cap hit. That 1 extra year is huge.

Alright, if that is your take on it - i see it as Petry performing better in those 3 years. Also, i think most players have things they play through

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

LOL. Petry has never led anyone to anything. It's laughable that he has a letter on his jersey.

If I could get that Girard in exchange for Petry who is a decade older, overpaid, has a rotten attitude and lacks balls, I'd do backflips.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Why on Earh would Dallas waste the trade value of Kling?

It’s just a wild, wild guess here but maybe because they’re in a playoff spot and would need to fill a huge hole left by Klingberg and that Petry has cost certainty for another 3 years?

Reactions: habsfan44

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
LOL. Petry has never led anyone to anything. It's laughable that he has a letter on his jersey.

If I could get that Girard in exchange for Petry who is a decade older, overpaid, has a rotten attitude and lacks balls, I'd do backflips.

And probably land on your head. Have you seen Girard’s performance in the playoff? I’m not talking about just the last cup run, but all of his in his career? It’s beyond awful. Let me suggest you to watch some games he played this summer or last or even funnier, go read the games thread from Colorado’d board during their last run. It’s sad how bad he was.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It’s just a wild, wild guess here but maybe because they’re in a playoff spot and would need to fill a huge hole left by Klingberg and that Petry has cost certainty for another 3 years?

& it would be ridiculous.

Dallas needs talent, new talent, young talent.
Their prospect pool is empty and Kling is their best trade asset.

They trade Kling for Petry and it’s not looking good for Dallas.

Benn, Seguin, Petry against the cap with term, great cap management

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
& it would be ridiculous.

Dallas needs talent, new talent, young talent.
Their prospect pool is empty and Kling is their best trade asset.

They trade Kling for Petry and it’s not looking good for Dallas.

Benn, Seguin, Petry against the cap with term, great cap management

Petry might not be the answer but you’re out of your mind if you think Dallas will unload Klingberg for futures only. They’re right there fighting for a playoff spot. What kind of message would a GM send to their players sweating their ass off night after night if he did such a trade?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
And probably land on your head. Have you seen Girard’s performance in the playoff? I’m not talking about just the last cup run, but all of his in his career? It’s beyond awful. Let me suggest you to watch some games he played this summer or last or even funnier, go read the games thread from Colorado’d board during their last run. It’s sad how bad he was.

Girard is not as bad as some of these guys make him out to be but yes, he is flawed. If he wasn't, he couldn't even be in the conversation because Petry blows.

Petry is not going to bring back much. He's certainly not bringing back a better player than Girard, unless we're talking about taking chances on picks.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017

at 23 years old Petry 35 games 5 points and -12

Only Price carried Montreal not Petry. If Price didn't make some miracle you lost in 5 against Toronto.

Not only Girard didn't play well against Vegas. 2 years ago it wasn't Girard the problem it was 7 players hurt for the 7th game against Dallas and the third goalie (Hutchinson) .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Petry might not be the answer but you’re out of your mind if you think Dallas will unload Klingberg for futures only. They’re right there fighting for a playoff spot. What kind of message would a GM send to their players sweating their ass off night after night if he did such a trade?

You don’t have to just trade Kling for Petry, of course Montreal fans would love it as Kling has superior trade value.

You just don’t anchor 26M on Benn, Seguin, Petry.
(If you are dead set on acquiring Petry you deal Kling for 1st+ elsewhere and then use lesser assets to acquire Petry.)

Dallas is going nowhere and if they don’t trade Kling& Pavelski they set themselves back years, which is probably what Nill will do, set them back.

You could be looking at 2 1st round picks+ quality prospect after trading those 2, team that needs retool that’s gold.
Build around the 25 and under core while there’s still plenty time

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You don’t have to just trade Kling for Petry, of course Montreal fans would love it as Kling has superior trade value.

You just don’t anchor 26M on Benn, Seguin, Petry.
(If you are dead set on acquiring Petry you deal Kling for 1st+ elsewhere and then use lesser assets to acquire Petry.)

Dallas is going nowhere and if they don’t trade Kling& Pavelski they set themselves back years, which is probably what Nill will do, set them back.

You could be looking at 2 1st round picks+ quality prospect after trading those 2, team that needs retool that’s gold.
Build around the 25 and under core while there’s still plenty time

Man, I would to see you make that pitch to Seguin, Benn, Suter, Robertson, Gurisnov, Heinskanen and Hintz.

« Listen boys, good job so far this season, ya’ll doing great, keep up the good work. Oh, by the way, I traded Pavelski & Klingberg for futures but no worries, we will be better off in 3-4 years.

Keep grinding boys! »

Reactions: habsfan44

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
well considering he had 42 pts in 55 games last year plus was awesome in the playoffs he will garner some interest . i'm not sore how an individual can lose all his value in 6-8 months like your suggesting . even at 6 million for a solid 3-4 he's in the right price range . not sure why your getting so defensive about petry . it's not like he wants to go to vancouver
One poster suggested Petry vs Myers, and this guy has not slept since. He's trying to make Petry look more injury prone than a player who missed more games. But hey, 34 years old, had a finger injury in the playoff (almost die) and missed 7 games this year.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Reality is Petry has value to teams around the league, but if he's going to be traded it will happen at the draft or shortly after FA when it's easier to make cap money move around. Even for Montreal to absorb Cap money right now is difficult so It's almost $'s in for $'s out which is easier to deal with in the offseason.

Players that I expect to be traded come March
- Chariot, Lehk, Potentially Dru (if he requests)

Players that I expect to be traded come July
- Petry, Toff (if he requests), Dru (if he requests) and Price (if he requests)

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
One poster suggested Petry vs Myers, and this guy has not slept since. He's trying to make Petry look more injury prone than a player who missed more games. But hey, 34 years old, had a finger injury in the playoff (almost die) and missed 7 games this year.
i think that guy your talking about just started watching hockey.

Reactions: TomKosto

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
look his wife has a right to live where she wants. she is back in the USA with the kids. This is all between them. Sometimes you just have to give the mrs what she wants, she has given you what you want in the past, maybe its her turn and thats it. ANY married guy knows all this. if you want to stay married its 50/50 with NO SECRETS. If either side pushes for 20/80 you will be paying child support and alimony and sending the cheques to your x house watching the NEW GUY spend your hockey money.

Reactions: Chainshot

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
look his wife has a right to live where she wants. she is back in the USA with the kids. This is all between them. Sometimes you just have to give the mrs what she wants, she has given you what you want in the past, maybe its her turn and thats it. ANY married guy knows all this. if you want to stay married its 50/50 with NO SECRETS. If either side pushes for 20/80 you will be paying child support and alimony and sending the cheques to your x house watching the NEW GUY spend your hockey money.

Dude I don't blame them, if I had kids I'd prbly be looking at opportunities in the states.

The lockdowns aren't so bad for me as a 24 year old. I work from home, see my friends/girlfriend, and go to the gym.

But I'd be worried about how the lower social interactions, back and forth on schools, no/less sports would affect my kids long term and would want them in an environment that more balances concerns of their future with covid vs just covid.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
His mind is pretty obviously elsewhere. He's awful right now, but he was a beast 7 months ago. No way he suddenly became unable to defend and completely inept offensively in that span. Any team who get him will get a steady 2nd pairing guy who can elevate his play in big moments.

I'd expect a 2nd round pick coming back.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Petry
2nd 2022 (~33-36 overall)
Jan Mysak

for

John Klingberg

Dallas gets a nice pick and a B prospect, but also gets a replacement for Klingberg for three years in a guy who can be a real difference maker when happy.

Montreal gets a new voice in the room, they can talk to him about signing, but if not they can sell him at the deadline.

Last edited:

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Girards got 26 points in 41 games. His .64 PPG is more than Gallagher, Josh Anderson, Hoffman and Suzuki.

You know, Forwards that are paid to score. Or in the Habs case, not score and rack up obscenely negative plus/minus stats.

or Chiarots whooping nine points and minus 25 which you’re trying to sell as a top pick worthy player. Or Petrys 1 goal and six points in 37 games while making $6.25mm.

If Girard is negative value, what does that mean for the Habs players producing far less on the worst team in the NHL?
You're comparing apples to oranges , Girard plays on one of the best teams in the league with a high octane offence while the Habs are the injury prone opposite of that . Your comparisons don't pass muster and I think you know it .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad