Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I could see Buffalo having interest...

And with the Sabres having loads of cap space to take on Petry's salary, the Habs wouldn't have to take back a cap dump

To Buffalo: Petry

To Montreal: 2022 2nd

Or maybe there's a way to get Levi in the deal if Buffalo has decided UPL is their goalie of the future

To Buffalo: Petry

To Montreal: Levi

No way on Levi, you don’t trade a goalie prospect that hot. Not sure if petry fits the Sabres youth going forwards- depends on what he wants, but if he’s disinterested in mtl I think Buffalo becomes a difficult sell.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Habs GM Kent Hughes says he met with Jeff Petry during the team’s last road trip. Petry did NOT formally ask for a trade but Hughes told him the team will move him if they find something that works for both Petry and the Canadiens.

Le Canadien | Kent Hughes disposé à échanger Jeff Petry

Montreal is about to do a full rebuild and all players over the age of 25 will be quietly shopped. I think Davad Savard was on the block till he got injured.

Montreal got killed by injuries this year and it exposed how they lacked depth for a solid run. IN theory Devorak and Drouin were part of their top line. But not having Price for the year has hurt them. A good goalie can paint over a lot of problems

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
No way on Levi, you don’t trade a goalie prospect that hot. Not sure if petry fits the Sabres youth going forwards- depends on what he wants, but if he’s disinterested in mtl I think Buffalo becomes a difficult sell.

Levi's name get tossed out the the same way all Ontario players names get tossed "Because player X is from there".

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

It's alright - the Habs don't really need goalie prospects right now.

They have Primeau who's still being groomed.
Dobes who, with Levi, is the best goalie in the NCAA.
Dichow who's going to be in the SHL next year and is playing Olympics for Denmark this year.

I don't know Habs fans obsession with Levi when we have in house prospects doing really well and far more needs than targeting a goalie prospect as a main piece in any trade.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Could see Petry for Samuel Girard as a starting point.

Yeah very doubtful that Petry has any interest in any Western Conference teams. His wife and kids went back home to Michigan and he wants to be near them. fat chance any western team is on his trade list. I only see him waiving for an eastern team not western team.
Yeah.. because Petry wanting to be close to Michigan is the main thing that is wrong with that proposal /s :laugh:

I'm just curious which team @golffuul thinks should be adding to this "starting point" :help: :popcorn:

Reactions: BStinson

Gaud

May 11, 2017
A big good skating soft offensove D man, he will get less than what canadian fans hopes for.

I dont think he is soft; he was 37th in D for hits last year with 97 and he already has 81 this year. The four years before that were from 171 to 190 hits.

I think he doesnt have what it takes mentally to be #1 D and to take on the "primary" leardership role that this entails. This is odd because he plays at a #1 level when behind Weber, presumably because it puts Petry in the right chair; he was even in talks for the Norris for a while last year. I also get the feeling he has been playing injured for a while.

I think he is just fed up and past the point of no return. I think Petry gets 1st plus B prospect

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I dont think he is soft; he was 37th in D for hits last year with 97 and he already has 81 this year. The four years before that were from 171 to 190 hits.

I think he doesnt have what it takes mentally to be #1 D and to take on the "primary" leardership role that this entails. This is odd because he plays at a #1 level when behind Weber, presumably because it puts Petry in the right chair; he was even in talks for the Norris for a while last year. I also get the feeling he has been playing injured for a while.

I think he is just fed up and past the point of no return. I think Petry gets 1st plus B prospect

honestly if Petry had less term I would agree with this return

That being said he is a 34 year old dman who is signed for 3 more years at a 6.25 million cap hit, outside of the budget teams actual salary doesnt matter only cap hit does and that is rough for a dman that is looking like he regressed this year (but it could also be because montreal has not played great this year). Could Petry recover sure, objectively do i think he will recover yes, if I was gm and i was going for a dman i would not pay that price as a bet though at least not with Petry's contract

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Yes, he's playing with less effort, probably because of the family situation, as has been mentioned. I also think he's had some hand injuries recently that really held him back at the start of the year. It's so hard to get injury info from the NHL when a hangnail and a concussion are both described as "upper body injuries". He's still a good player, and would probably be an instant bounce-back if he was traded.

It would be best for him if he moves, and best for Montreal if they started to sell and rebuild. So it's a pretty safe bet that he'll be traded by the deadline.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
It's incredible how that finals run and the following summer has taken a toll from the Habs.

Weber is gone almost definitely forever.
Price is gone maybe forever.
Danault gone for a better opportunity.
KK gone for a better opportunity.
Edmundson gone and injured.
Byron gone because of serious injury.
Petry is tired and never recovered and want's to leave because of COVID.

Not to mention all the other injuries that have piled up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The length of that contract and the drop in his production are both troublesome. But Buffalo has a need for a veteran RHD to plug in beside either Power or Dahlin. I could see them offering a 2nd rounder due to term and age factors.

That said, I doubt they're not on his no-trade list but maybe it would get him a smidge closer to family.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The length of that contract and the drop in his production are both troublesome. But Buffalo has a need for a veteran RHD to plug in beside either Power or Dahlin. I could see them offering a 2nd rounder due to term and age factors.

That said, I doubt they're not on his no-trade list but maybe it would get him a smidge closer to family.

Petry may be one of the of the few people who doesn't have Buffalo on his no trade list. He always wanted to be close to Michigan so he may basically just have the western conference on his list.

TheUglyTruth

Dec 30, 2021
Buffalo Columbus and Dallas all need a veteran RHD at the start of next season. Columbus is closest to his home.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Petry looks lost without Weber. Playing like his Oiler days. Put him on a team deep on defense and a good leader should still get good hockey out of Petry. Habs will have to retain, maybe get a 2nd and a 3rd?

Petry played without Weber for almost 2 years and didn’t look lost. He just wants out. I also doubt Montreal retain on Petry, he’s still a top pairing D making less than 7m a year.. someone will take him at full price. I’m also ok taking on a 1-2 year cap dump to make it work money wise but the return has to be good

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal is about to do a full rebuild and all players over the age of 25 will be quietly shopped. I think Davad Savard was on the block till he got injured.

Montreal got killed by injuries this year and it exposed how they lacked depth for a solid run. IN theory Devorak and Drouin were part of their top line. But not having Price for the year has hurt them. A good goalie can paint over a lot of problems

Montreal are not 100% tearing it all down. Hughes already said he will keep a few veteran to help the young guys. Savard, Byron, Edmundson, Anderson and Gallagher if he wants to stay will remain with the team. Everyone else is up for grab (who’s over 26)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't see it happening as moving him while having a bad season in which he was injured on and off would not provide a decent enough return.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Petry 50% retained for Myers+Rathbone+Dipietro
This cannot be serious...first the Habs don't have the cap space but you really want them to give up Petry who very likely will rebound from this off season and retain $3.125M of his salary for the next 3 years in return for Myers and 2 more years of his $6M cap hit, a goalie has shown nothing more than any of the Habs goalie prospects and what is looking like an ok dman prospect who is on the small side...ya totally makes sense.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I think the "rule out West Coast" is overblown. I think you absolutely rule out Canadian cities, though.

A direct flight from LAX, say, to Detroit is 4 hours.

A direct flight from Montreal is 2 hours + customs/immigration + covid BS (esp. when returning) = 4-5+ hours. I fly often, so this is not a random guess.

If it's a team he likes, I see no reason he wouldn't waive for them to improve his current situation both on and off the ice.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Habs won't get a good return for a guy who's doing everything to get traded... I suspect an other bad contract or a prospect + NHL D for a team like Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad