Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don't see his acquisition cost being very high after the year he's had as well as age.

A team I could see interested in him is Philly TBH. They have a large core of their defense hitting Free Agency this summer and without Ellis in the lineup their top 4 is complete shambles (hence their record this year). I think a top 4 of Provorov, Ellis, Sanheim, and Petry would be a lot more consistent than what they have now. Also if Ellis were to suffer another injury Petry is capable of playing those top pairing minutes in his place.
Trading assets for Petry is something a fool like Fletcher would do, instead of securing the best draft pick possible.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t see why the reason for him signing in Montreal was to be close to Michigan. It’s a 10 he drive and or an international flight.

there are many closer places he could have signed in the states.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t see why the reason for him signing in Montreal was to be close to Michigan. It’s a 10 he drive and or an international flight.

there are many closer places he could have signed in the states.

Just an FYI Petry himself listed it as one of the reasons he signed in Montreal like 7 years ago.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Just an FYI Petry himself listed it as one of the reasons he signed in Montreal like 7 years ago.
Ok it just seems really weird. 10 hrs and a border is not close to drive.

Pretty much the whole eastern conference is closer.

If you take into account borders for flights I would say the western us teams too?

I mean if the man said it he believes it. Which is all that counts in this case. But very odd….

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Ok it just seems really weird. 10 hrs and a border is not close to drive.

Pretty much the whole eastern conference is closer.

If you take into account borders for flights I would say the western us teams too?

I mean if the man said it he believes it. Which is all that counts in this case. But very odd….

I think after accounting for international borders the flight process is like 4 hours.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
honestly if Petry had less term I would agree with this return

That being said he is a 34 year old dman who is signed for 3 more years at a 6.25 million cap hit, outside of the budget teams actual salary doesnt matter only cap hit does and that is rough for a dman that is looking like he regressed this year (but it could also be because montreal has not played great this year). Could Petry recover sure, objectively do i think he will recover yes, if I was gm and i was going for a dman i would not pay that price as a bet though at least not with Petry's contract

Fair enough, my take is that he shoudl earn more than Chiarot. Additionally, even if it was regression (and not because of the horrendous environment and team), I dont think his skating slowed down significantly, which should hold some weight. If he was playing like last year, i don't think folks would be mentionning the 6M considering that he was in talks for the Norris over some D with higher salary, but i am sure Mtl is open to retaining on just abut anything for 2-3 years.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I could see Buffalo having interest...

And with the Sabres having loads of cap space to take on Petry's salary, the Habs wouldn't have to take back a cap dump

To Buffalo: Petry

To Montreal: 2022 2nd

Or maybe there's a way to get Levi in the deal if Buffalo has decided UPL is their goalie of the future

To Buffalo: Petry

To Montreal: Levi
Sabres definitely not including Levi but I would up the pick up to one of our late 1st rounders and a B prospect. Maybe even a mid pick in 2023 as well.

Last edited:

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Isn't Petrys game built around good skating/mobility and having a good hockey brain. The few Habs games I have watched those both appear to be there still. Someone is going to get a very capable top4 dman for I'm guessing pretty cheap.

Yes and no. The skating and mobility are definitely still there. His next biggest asset is definitely size and, more specifically, range.
His hockey IQ is probably a weakness in his game.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah.. because Petry wanting to be close to Michigan is the main thing that is wrong with that proposal /s :laugh:

I'm just curious which team @golffuul thinks should be adding to this "starting point" :help: :popcorn:
Depends on whether montreal wants to retain or not to make it happen. With retention I might call it even. otherwise I think at least a 3rd rounder or a prospect may be in order.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I am a bit confused - yesterday it was reported that Hughes said he told Petry he would trade him when he got a decent offer in return but that Petry hadn't requested a trade, but Francois Gagnon came out yesterday on Hockey 360 (RDS) to say that Petry for sure asked for a trade. Which is it? And shouldnt you bench a player you think of trading in favour of protecting him from injury?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I am a bit confused - yesterday it was reported that Hughes said he told Petry he would trade him when he got a decent offer in return but that Petry hadn't requested a trade, but Francois Gagnon came out yesterday on Hockey 360 (RDS) to say that Petry for sure asked for a trade. Which is it? And shouldnt you bench a player you think of trading in favour of protecting him from injury?
It is a weird situation for sure, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shift similar to the Dubois shift in CBJ last year. On the other hand, MTL just waived Niku, which seems to indicate they are keeping Petry for now...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Unless the Habs retain, it’s the Habs that will need to include assets to move that full contract. Petry is negative value.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If management feel there isn't a deal worth making Petry won't be traded .
Sitting Petry out until an offer has enough value would be paying him not to play.
Maybe no trade offer will be made that has enough value in the opinion's of Gorton, Hughes.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Depends on whether montreal wants to retain or not to make it happen. With retention I might call it even. otherwise I think at least a 3rd rounder or a prospect may be in order.
Girard is one of the leagues best transition Dmen, is 11 years younger, and signed at a lower caphit for his entire prime. And you think a 3rd round pick is all it would take to bridge the gap in value?

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Detroit, Chicago and Columbus are close to Michigan. Of course, flight options and times are probably more relevant. If Petry has a no trade list, that is going to factor in quite heavily.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
No way on Levi, you don’t trade a goalie prospect that hot. Not sure if petry fits the Sabres youth going forwards- depends on what he wants, but if he’s disinterested in mtl I think Buffalo becomes a difficult sell.

At the very least, I was thinking he could provide leadership for their young D... which is something they don't currently have beyond this season

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I think he's still capable of performing at a high level as he did last year. He's not slower this year. It's simply his desire, judgment and concentration that seem to be lacking.

At 34, he can still fill in the role of a No2 or No3 defenseman on a team with a two or three year window. He has a style of play that fits in well with a team like Pittsburgh or the Rangers although I don't think he'll end up there.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think there's a deal to be made with Buffalo. We can take his full cap hit, and desperately need a steadying force at RHD to help Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson.

I don't think it'll get to as high as a 1st and a B-level prospect........but I think a 2nd plus something is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Reactions: Chainshot

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The declaration made in the papers aren't pointing to Petry moving soon. They're pointing to the team having no deals on the table for his services and him having to play like a professional as a Montreal Canadiens regardless of his current personal situation. I doubt anyone acquires him with 3 years left on his contract after this season. Not with the current dirty clothes being washed in the media.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think he's still capable of performing at a high level as he did last year. He's not slower this year. It's simply his desire, judgment and concentration that seem to be lacking.

At 34, he can still fill in the role of a No2 or No3 defenseman on a team with a two or three year window. He has a style of play that fits in well with a team like Pittsburgh or the Rangers although I don't think he'll end up there.

I agree - he doesnt have negative value or anything, even if he looks horrible this year. 6M for what he did for the habs last year isnt overpriced either.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Detroit, Chicago and Columbus are close to Michigan. Of course, flight options and times are probably more relevant. If Petry has a no trade list, that is going to factor in quite heavily.

Flight time from Buffalo is an hour and 5 minutes (I've made that flight more than a few times).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt Montreal wants to retain for multiple years.

That makes the issue that playoff teams just dont have space to add 6.25 out of nowhere. Maybe there could be some money sent the other way but Montreal would likely only take 1 year cap dumps. They arent going to assume they are in store for a long rebuild

But, Petry is still a very good Dman. He is a good target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad