Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
I was considering creating a new thread, but decided to bump the last thread we had on Quebec.

Last time around I was pretty much on the side that they would never get another team. But in reading that Atlanta is being considered YET again.. I am no longer against Quebec getting another team.

With Atlanta I see a lot of spit balling that it was all the owners. Here is the thing. When they moved the last team to Canada.. there was not a lot out pouring of grief when the team left. I work in aviation and spent a lot of time down there over the years.

It seems to me the biggest reason why people want another team is they talk about population and stuff like that. Curious to know how many of those people actually spend time in the city? Atlanta fans of any sport are picky. Like many cities, if a team is winning the will come out but if a team sucks? Not so much.

I personally think it is time to consider Quebec for another team if Atlanta is under consideration

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I was considering creating a new thread, but decided to bump the last thread we had on Quebec.

Last time around I was pretty much on the side that they would never get another team. But in reading that Atlanta is being considered YET again.. I am no longer against Quebec getting another team.

With Atlanta I see a lot of spit balling that it was all the owners. Here is the thing. When they moved the last team to Canada.. there was not a lot out pouring of grief when the team left. I work in aviation and spent a lot of time down there over the years.

It seems to me the biggest reason why people want another team is they talk about population and stuff like that. Curious to know how many of those people actually spend time in the city? Atlanta fans of any sport are picky. Like many cities, if a team is winning the will come out but if a team sucks? Not so much.

I personally think it is time to consider Quebec for another team if Atlanta is under consideration
Dream on. Seriously, even as a Montreal fan I hope they get one, but I'll be pessimistic until I see evidence of actual progress. Many people (I'm not sure I agree), will cite "tapping into a new market".

Reactions: kevistar

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There appears to be a war on English going on in Quebec. Can't see that helping their odds. Last time around, the prospective owner was a separatist. Don't see that helping either

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The issue is ownership and the willingness to pay the now huge expansion fee.

If there was an owner standing with the expansion fee and an arena deal in Quebec, the argument could be made if the nhl opted against that owner for another market.

But as best as I can tell there really isn’t. The nhl isn’t so flush with willing buyers that there’s really an option. What city gets considered vs what city doesn’t is as simple as “what city has someone willing to foot the bill and what city doesn’t”.

Reactions: kevistar

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This may not have received a lot of attention in Canada but it might be in play here. Several years ago, American college football had a summer of mayhem where teams shifted to other conferences. The conference worth mentioning here is the SEC. For years there had been discussion of FSU joining the SEC. But they already had a team from Florida in the SEC. So the expansion at the time became about eyes on TVs in geographic regions (ie states) where the SEC had no representation. And this was the impetus for the SEC adding Texas A&M and Missouri (St Louis and 2/3 KC).

Given the importance of tv contracts, why would this be different? Quebec already has a team. Georgia does not. And yes,Texas already has a team but Houston is the third largest city in the US. If the NHL catches on in Houston, the upside is huge especially in moving to having more revenue from tv contracts and being less reliant on attendance revenue.

Also guessing that NHL has watched what has happened with the Braves and their stadium in the burbs and feel like this might be an example to follow.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
There appears to be a war on English going on in Quebec. Can't see that helping their odds. Last time around, the prospective owner was a separatist. Don't see that helping either
Oh please. It's the mafia and the English(UK army) who control most of the city.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The market is tiny and doesn't have a particularly rich , thriving and spendful population , I'd wager that's much more of an issue than any language issues.

Get your population up and get your money up and then ask for a team , all they are banking on is nostalgia and it won't cut it for QC

archangel2

May 19, 2019
If Atlanta is being considered, so should Quebec. And yes they have a guy will to pay the expansion fee.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
The Bettman strategy has always been to get a foothold in non-traditional hockey markets with big populations and then hang around until people warm up to the game. Hence expansion rules that make these teams competitive right out of the gate. It’s much easier to warm up to a team that’s good.

I have to imagine one of the greatest barriers to NHL “legitimacy” in the US, is the fact that most Americans don’t care to know where or what places like Winnipeg are. These places possibly tarnish the image of the NHL as folks picture frozen tundra and people living in igloos in the sticks.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
PKP/Quebecor were very vocal about wanting a team until the expansion price was announced, and they’ve been absolutely silent ever since then (especially as the asking price has doubled).

Quebec isn’t getting a team because the party that could potentially bid on a team got priced out. All there is to it. They don’t want to spend a billion+ dollars on an NHL team there.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Quebec put all it's eggs in the basket case of a bipolar guy who not interested anymore. Probably never really was in the first place. The Nordiques was the Ex-wife thing, so he a made low ball offer that went nowhere. The problem is Quebecor now control the arena. Until the city can get them out of the picture, I don't see a serious bid coming.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The market is tiny and doesn't have a particularly rich , thriving and spendful population , I'd wager that's much more of an issue than any language issues.

Get your population up and get your money up and then ask for a team , all they are banking on is nostalgia and it won't cut it for QC

More so a small corporate population. Tv contracts are one thing, but corporate dollars and sponsorship is a big part of it. Who buys luxury boxes in Quebec City? Who pays for those $200-400 a game luxury seats in the lower bowl consistently?

It is the same problem in Ottawa. You can have a ton of regular fan support, but the real key is the business dollars backing a team.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Quebec is a Government town, and the Government is heavily scrutinized on how they spend their money (They can't buy Suites and Season tickets). Hardly any large Corporations exist in Quebec City that can buy all the luxury suites and season tickets. You absolutely need a ton of Corporate sponsorships, and although Peladeau (who built the Arena) would offer some, he can't do everything. It's a very small population, good part of them working on Government salaries. Would maybe work for first 5-6 years, but eventually they would have to move again.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Likely lots of players from Europe would love to have an nhl team in Quebec City. It has a charm that gives it the feel of a smaller European city, so the guys would feel more at home. Can’t think of a better city for the nhl from a charm pov. But the owner would need to incredibly wealthy because the city, although charming, doesn’t have the economic base to support an nhl franchise. The rabid and passionate fans are there though; that’s for sure.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Lmao "a war on English."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad