Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You might be holding for a while. Summer moves without retention aren't usually in the neighborhood of a first, though the Flyers' 2nd may very well be in the mid-30's.

If Ristolainen was able to get a mid first and second back, I don’t see why a much better D in Petry wouldn’t.

I understand that.......but without retention (and I see no reason why MTL would retain), I don't think you get a first.

I think a 2nd plus something decent is the ceiling for an unretained Petry.

That said, there's no way I expected Risto to fetch us a 1st AND a 2nd AND a prospect (who is absolutely killing it). So who knows.

Exactly my point. Top pairing, puck-moving RHD usually come at a premium. Petry is one of the very few available on the market. We can hold on if no one is willing to pay the price

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Go ahead and show me one player since Covid with a $6.25mm cap hit with stats as bad as Petry, that’s been traded.

I don't know about traded but it's very easy to find signings of players in the past year who are in Petry's general ability range, signing as FA recently at same price area with term taking them through their mid-30s: Ekholm 6.25, Parayko 6.5 & Martinez 5.25 which shows Petry's contract is very reasonable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Ristolainen was able to get a mid first and second back, I don’t see why a much better D in Petry wouldn’t.

Exactly my point. Top pairing, puck-moving RHD usually come at a premium. Petry is one of the very few available on the market. We can hold on if no one is willing to pay the price

The 7-year age difference may have had some influence on the amount Risto went for though, don't you think? Braun went for a single 2nd at the age of 32. Subban was 30 and went for two 2nds and a pair of contracts when he left Nashville. Those seem comparable although I could see how Petry can be sold as a better pickup. It's his age that's the concern and probably a drag on his value.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The 7-year age difference may have had some influence on the amount Risto went for though, don't you think? Braun went for a single 2nd at the age of 32. Subban was 30 and went for two 2nds and a pair of contracts when he left Nashville. Those seem comparable although I could see how Petry can be sold as a better pickup. It's his age that's the concern and probably a drag on his value.

I don't think petry is worth a ton at the moment but:

Late 1st or a couple 2nds definitely seems reasonable. Maybe a boom bust prospect and a short term cap dump is thrown in there I could see it.

But I think he is moved at/near the draft not in season anyway.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think petry is worth a ton at the moment but:

Late 1st or a couple 2nds definitely seems reasonable. Maybe a boom bust prospect and a short term cap dump is thrown in there I could see it.

But I think he is moved at/near the draft not in season anyway.

Yeah, I can see it being a summer move which are a whole different animal than the trade deadline shenanigans.

While he's not perfect in terms of all factors he's good enough and we know that perfect is the enemy of done, especially with roster building.

member 334057

That said, there's no way I expected Risto to fetch us a 1st AND a 2nd AND a prospect (who is absolutely killing it). So who knows.
Risto got a 1st, a 2nd and Hagg not a prospect. Hagg actually had very little value at the time also as I think most Philly fans considered him a throw-in or a cap dump because he was playing so poorly there. Still very good value for Risto and a lot more than fans expected, but I'm sure Philly is also counting on that 2nd being a late 2nd round pick, though we won't see until next season on that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
FYI, Per LeBrun in the Athletic today, a Western Conference team executive told him they view Petry as the player from before this season and that he doesn't think the Canadiens intend to deal Petry ad a discount if, in fact, they end up moving him at all.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Look at some of these contracts on the Habs. The salary cap will be flat for a while. Bettman said two more seasons of a flat cap in December until omicron destroyed those plans. It will not be that easy for Gorton to move some of these contracts which he inherited. So many teams are using long-term IR to operate the teams this season. So many teams have current long-term commitments and/or have their own players to re-sign in the next year.

What is a 34 year old Jeff Petry worth with three more seasons remaining at a $6.25M cap hit? Which teams have flexibility to absorb that contract with the cap without losing other players off their roster because of the cap restraints?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Habs fan here.

Never been a big Petry fan though.

When putting 40+ pts, I can live with his multiples brain farts, his constant inconsistency (can play like a Norris for 1 month and then play like absolute crap the next 2) and his very low panic trigger level, which is an indication of his low hockey IQ in my sense.

But when he's not putting points... meh...

Plus him hitting 34 yo, an age when the decline cliff can hit anytime, if I was Habs brass I would get rid of him as soon as possible.

Gimme a 2nd Rd pick and an ok prospect and he's gone (without retention or bad contract coming back).

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I heard the segment on the Jeff Marek show. They also discussed it will not be easy for teams to shed money without taking back money. Teams want to shed money in trades but most of these teams are already capped out for this season and beyond. How many three team deals can be made to make the money work?

Doubt Montreal would have an issue with taking on a 1-2 year salary dump to facilitate a trade here. That’s just common sense

Reactions: Vachon23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I heard the segment on the Jeff Marek show. They also discussed it will not be easy for teams to shed money without taking back money. Teams want to shed money in trades but most of these teams are already capped out for this season and beyond. How many three team deals can be made to make the money work?

I don't think Montreal is unwilling to eat salary or take money back if the trade makes sense.

LeBrun also reported that all signs point to Petry's camp being open to help facilitate a deal. So while I doubt Petry is willing to be moved to another Canadian team (since his family is in the US and there are border restrictions), There are probably teams on his no trade list that he'd waive to go to.

Reactions: Benstheman

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't know if Petry gets moved or not. I know there's zero incentive for Montreal to sell low.

He's having a bad year. He got hurt early, tried to play through it. It's been a spiral of a year for the whole team. A player doesn't play as well as he has up to this point and suddenly fall off a cliff. He's not a lame duck. He's not suddenly over the hill and incapable of playing at the level he has for his entire tenure in Montreal.

Cap concerns? Don't make the trade in-season unless a team makes a compelling offer. Teams always make room to address needs and wants. Jeff's a desirable player. There will be teams looking to reallocate funds. There are several teams with high profile pending UFAs. Letang might be the only one that stays put. That's money to spend elsewhere. That's cherry picking though. If he hits the market in the off-season, it's not hard to imagine a number of teams making serious offers. Any team that downplays interest because of the contract is only doing it as a bargaining tactic.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
At the very least, I was thinking he could provide leadership for their young D... which is something they don't currently have beyond this season

Right, but that’s where if he’s disengaged why bother? That’d be an actual detriment. I’m not saying he is, just kinda that’s why you’d really have to suss out how it’s going in MTL first.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
LeBrun: Kent Hughes's plan for the Canadiens is beginning to take shape

"Petry, 34, has had a rough year, but his reputation around the league remains strong, a Western Conference team executive telling me the other day they still view him as the player from before this season. That executive’s team would have zero hesitation stepping up for him if they had that need on their team.

This is good because I don’t think the Canadiens intend to deal Petry at a discount if, in fact, they end up moving him at all."

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Petry is out no question. And normally i would say it would happen during offseason but i wouldn't be surprised if it happens before TD. Don't think Gorton and Hugues want this situation to linger. The only thing they have to preserve in this kind of situation is team spirit.

Ledge And Dairy

Trading assets for Petry is something a fool like Fletcher would do, instead of securing the best draft pick possible.
Depends on the assets. Like would JVR + Frost make sense for both sides? Again, as I said in the first post if I dont see the acquisition cost being high

Philly keeps all their current and soon to be acquired picks. All they loose is the ability to sell JVR the next year but instead get a more reliable top 4 dman (with term) than Risto ever was.

Crow52

Jan 8, 2020

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Depends on the assets. Like would JVR + Frost make sense for both sides?
It might start a conversation, depending on what the Habs think of Frost. Might be a bit of a problem fitting in JVR's salary, but perhaps some of Montreal's redundant wingers are on their way out.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It's incredible how that finals run and the following summer has taken a toll from the Habs.

Weber is gone almost definitely forever.
Price is gone maybe forever.
Danault gone for a better opportunity.
KK gone for a better opportunity.
Edmundson gone and injured.
Byron gone because of serious injury. Byron is back
Petry is tired and never recovered and want's to leave because of COVID. Where did you hear this garbage?

Not to mention all the other injuries that have piled up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad