Speculation: Jeff Petry On the Move Soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This cannot be serious...first the Habs don't have the cap space but you really want them to give up Petry who very likely will rebound from this off season and retain $3.125M of his salary for the next 3 years in return for Myers and 2 more years of his $6M cap hit, a goalie has shown nothing more than any of the Habs goalie prospects and what is looking like an ok dman prospect who is on the small side...ya totally makes sense.
Crazy eh. The trolls are out in full force.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Girard is one of the leagues best transition Dmen, is 11 years younger, and signed at a lower caphit for his entire prime. And you think a 3rd round pick is all it would take to bridge the gap in value?
Look forget the 3rd we'll take a 4th instead with Girard.

Reactions: Richard88

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Petry is going to move in the summer for an offer that would get you mocked in this thread right now. I realize he's (AGE) and makes (DOLLAR FIGURE) for (NUMBER OF YEARS) but I don't think it's going to be particularly difficult to convince just one GM that the Petry they saw in July 2021 did not completely disappear in October 2021. It would be one thing if there was visible decline in his skating or his skills but that isn't the case, the tools are all still there - it's just a complete nightmare season for the Habs and there's a total of two players playing at or above expectation (Lehkonen, Wideman).

Duncan Keith moved for real assets in the offseason. Rasmus Ristolainen went for a first. The idea that there's not going to be a single team out there that has a hole at RHD and is interested in Jeff Petry at 6.25M if they can ship out a bad 3-5M contract at the same time is something I'm extremely skeptical of. All it takes is one team that has a hole at RHD and can be talked in to the family stuff/covid/short offseason as a bad situation that snowballed and he'll be back to normal with a fresh start.

The retention stuff seems to be approaching it from the wrong angle too, another team will want him because they think he'll fix their problems at 1RD or 2RD, at which point 6.25M is a perfectly reasonable number, particularly when you're shipping out a bad contract at the same time. If you don't think he can play in your top 4 anymore you don't really want him at 4.5M anyway, so I don't think it's going to be significant retain unless it's a team that doesn't have any bad contracts to send at all.

Reactions: Archijerej

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The cap difference between JVR and Petry is barely more than a league min contract. I imagine that MTL will be moving some wingers though too
That's true, but the Habs would be well advised to replace Petry somehow and we're going to need money for that. No reason to let our young D face a firing squad on a nightly basis.

Anyways, your offer is a good starting point I think. It's just there are other pieces of the puzzle that would have to allign.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If Montreal retains 50% he maybe has some value but certainly not a lot. 34 Year old Dman who's fallen off as much as he has the year is going to be a cap dump essentially.
you completely fail to realize why he's 'fallen off'. It has 0 / nothing to do with age or skill

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Petry is going to move in the summer for an offer that would get you mocked in this thread right now. I realize he's (AGE) and makes (DOLLAR FIGURE) for (NUMBER OF YEARS) but I don't think it's going to be particularly difficult to convince just one GM that the Petry they saw in July 2021 did not completely disappear in October 2021. It would be one thing if there was visible decline in his skating or his skills but that isn't the case, the tools are all still there - it's just a complete nightmare season for the Habs and there's a total of two players playing at or above expectation (Lehkonen, Wideman).

Duncan Keith moved for real assets in the offseason. Rasmus Ristolainen went for a first. The idea that there's not going to be a single team out there that has a hole at RHD and is interested in Jeff Petry at 6.25M if they can ship out a bad 3-5M contract at the same time is something I'm extremely skeptical of. All it takes is one team that has a hole at RHD and can be talked in to the family stuff/covid/short offseason as a bad situation that snowballed and he'll be back to normal with a fresh start.

The retention stuff seems to be approaching it from the wrong angle too, another team will want him because they think he'll fix their problems at 1RD or 2RD, at which point 6.25M is a perfectly reasonable number, particularly when you're shipping out a bad contract at the same time. If you don't think he can play in your top 4 anymore you don't really want him at 4.5M anyway, so I don't think it's going to be significant retain unless it's a team that doesn't have any bad contracts to send at all.
E friedman posted that at least one GM reached out to him to say they're aware that this year is an anomaly and they see him as a 2D, without question

Reactions: JoelWarlord

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Don't think he has fallen that much.
Wife and her 3 kids hate quebec rules and went back to Detroit leaving Petry alone and frustrated. Pretty sure he didnt see it coming. Petry been playing like he doesnt give a shit and everybody on the habs board can tell you that. He's unhappy

Perhaps there is maybe a year too much on his contract but he still can play good hockey on a well balanced team , but im sure habs will take another bad contract in a trade for Petry which would help a playoff team.
He also hates ducharme, was injured throughout playoffs and had zero recovery time with that non-off-season. these aren't excuses, he should be doing better, but it provides context

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Ledge And Dairy

That's true, but the Habs would be well advised to replace Petry somehow and we're going to need money for that. No reason to let our young D face a firing squad on a nightly basis.

Anyways, your offer is a good starting point I think. It's just there are other pieces of the puzzle that would have to align.
I could see Philly also interested in a reliable backup like Allen, thats some more cap that can come off the books. Not sure what the cost to include him would be but I doubt Philly would want to include much in terms of draft revenue

Mind you I'm neither a Philly or Montreal fan. Just spit-balling ideas since I think Philly should be a lot better of a team than they've shown this year (injuries of have really plagued them).

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Petry to Dallas to replace Klingberg.
Dallas makes too much sense, they have an older core, so they are poised to compete now, they are losing two right shot defenceman, and a ton of cap space opens up next year. Plus the assets they get from Klingberg will offset the cost for Petry. A 23 or 24 1st and a stalled prospect like Dellandrea and a dump like Khudoben for a cost controlled Petry

Reactions: Benstheman

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
E friedman posted that at least one GM reached out to him to say they're aware that this year is an anomaly and they see him as a 2D, without question
Yep. It's going to make the negotiating process harder than if they traded him after the playoffs, but I just think as fans on message boards we overestimate how quick the reputation of guys around the NHL fades after a bad stretch.

Feb 19, 2018
I wonder if Myers and Petry exchange places this year. Only 2 years left on Myers and he’s been playing good this year. With Weber and Petry gone you will need to replace those minutes. Canucks retain to balance out contracts.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Petry is already on record wanting to be home close to Michigan as possible, Dallas is over 1,000 miles from Detroit and besides most if not all western teams are on his no trade list.
It’s a 2.5 hr flight. I’d wager that flight is easier than Montreal-Detroit. Do you have a source for his no trade list?

Reactions: Benstheman

Ledge And Dairy

Dallas makes too much sense, they have an older core, so they are poised to compete now, they are losing two right shot defenceman, and a ton of cap space opens up next year. Plus the assets they get from Klingberg will offset the cost for Petry. A 23 or 24 1st and a stalled prospect like Dellandrea and a dump like Khudoben for a cost controlled Petry
That's not how that works. It just means their rebuild is more frustrating. Refer to San Jose. Montreal also has an older core locked up, are they also poised to compete now?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I wonder if Myers and Petry exchange places this year. Only 2 years left on Myers and he’s been playing good this year. With Weber and Petry gone you will need to replace those minutes. Canucks retain to balance out contracts.

Petry will be traded to an American team.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I could see Philly also interested in a reliable backup like Allen, thats some more cap that can come off the books. Not sure what the cost to include him would be but I doubt Philly would want to include much in terms of draft revenue

Mind you I'm neither a Philly or Montreal fan. Just spit-balling ideas since I think Philly should be a lot better of a team than they've shown this year (injuries of have really plagued them).
Personally, I don't think we can spare Allen. Price is still not ready to go and pressing Primeau into the NHL is currently causing more harm than good.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Hughes knows that he needs to do a good first trade, so I won't be surprise if Petry finish the year in Mtl and gets trade in the summer, if the return is not good enough right know. Yea he's really bad this year because he don't care, maybe it will affect his value a little bit, but he's coming from 4x 40pts season (in only 57 last year). Hughes won't make a trade that makes him look bad. Detroit make a lot of sense, but I don't know if they are ready to give young assets or picks for a veteran yet.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Lol Petry actually holds value around the league.

Unless VAN attaches a GREAT asset to Myers, Habs hang up the phone and laugh. Petry stil nets a 1st + XXX + Contract from any GM in the NHL. Not Myers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad