Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Even if he falls utterly off the age cliff it’s 3.125m. It’s not at all a cap restrictive contract. I like it. When you do veteran deals this is what you like them to look like.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
The Pens very much need to let someone else overpay for ERod's 45-day (or whatever it was) anomalous hot streak. By the time the important players are signed, there's not going to be much left over for him or Dime-A-Dozen Danton Heinen anyway.
I would probably rather slightly overpay for Erod than give Rust star caliber money

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The fact he is getting significantly outscored on the ice this year?

Where's the link there though? Getting scored on more heavily than his defensive totals say he should could just as easily be bad luck as not caring. I can't remember anyone accusing him of being able to coast until this point either.

The deal could go south, but it feels like you're reaching here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Where's the link there though? Getting scored on more heavily than his defensive totals say he should could just as easily be bad luck as not caring. I can't remember anyone accusing him of being able to coast until this point either.

The deal could go south, but it feels like you're reaching here.

I just don’t get the deal or the immediacy for it. The term or the NMC.

Whatever. Three million dollar deals for over 30 year olds never burn teams.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also on the valuation thing.

There's currently 11 centres making between 3.25m and 2.75m. Most signed as RFAs or UFAs handing out hometown discounts. The three median point producers there are Pius Suter, Scott Laughton, and Dylan Strome. They're pacing between .45 ppg and .41 ppg. They are, for what it's worth, all minus players. I'm not saying that's all Carter has to do to be worth his cap hit, but it's a useful guide to what 3m gets you in a C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just don’t get the deal or the immediacy for it. The term or the NMC.

Whatever. Three million dollar deals for over 30 year olds never burn teams.

I mean, I'm not thrilled about it. You're not wrong about deals like this often being mistakes. I'd have rather waited to the end of the season and done one year. I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred ERod as 3C either.

But the deal is cheap to fair for what he currently is and he's shown no sign of being inclined to coast here. I daresay he showed none in LA before he did as well, but it hasn't happened. The risk is real enough that it doesn't need gilded. And, tbf, the potential reward is there as well.

Reactions: Andy99

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
OK

Unexpected timing perhaps, but hard not to approve. You dont like the NMC much, but it’s understandable.

Wonder how it plays with Geno and Letang. “See, JC took a 40% pay cut to stay with the gang.”

Reactions: Andy99 and Nakawick

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Rust and especially Rodrigues are going to take the best deal they can get Imo and will be overpaid and over termed. Carter on a cheap deal can play as a rs center or a winger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Also on the valuation thing.

There's currently 11 centres making between 3.25m and 2.75m. Most signed as RFAs or UFAs handing out hometown discounts. The three median point producers there are Pius Suter, Scott Laughton, and Dylan Strome. They're pacing between .45 ppg and .41 ppg. They are, for what it's worth, all minus players. I'm not saying that's all Carter has to do to be worth his cap hit, but it's a useful guide to what 3m gets you in a C.

Thanks for the breakdown. Confirms my first thought on this - we're not getting a better 3C than Carter in FA for that kind of money.

He brings a lot that we've lacked in a 3C since Bonino left, and a couple things we've lacked since Staal. Because of his size and smarts, I think he'll age gracefully. At the end of this deal, Carter will be the same age Cullen was when he first came to Pittsburgh.

And it's only 2 years. Pretty much ideal term and cap hit, realistically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad