Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Bonino and Staal were both good defensive players. Carter's not. I know he's had some tough usage this year with injuries but he's got a negative xGF/60, CF/60, xGA/60, CA/60 according to evolve hockey.

Plus why do it now? Teams weren't going to line up to sign him.

I think the threat of Carter signing with a Swiss team looming over his upcoming free agency sped up this process for Hextall.

Reactions: tom_servo

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Value is fine. Fits a need and Carter is a nice player. I am wondering what this means for the rest of the roster.

I'm not optimistic that Malkin and Letang are taking pay cuts. If anything, Letang is due a raise. The cap is flat. We are going to lose some valuable pieces the off season out of Rust, Kapanen, Rodrigues etc because we can't pay them all. Only way out would be to jettison Zucker and/or Matheson for cap savings. Nice players both but their cap hits could be distributed wlsewbrw more effectively. I question whether there are any takers though.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Very good signing indeed, GMRH can't wait the summer to re-sign 2/3 of the forwards, it's good that he started with the "easy" ones at a fair cap hit.
I hope that Malkin/Letang are next and the Pens announce their extension together.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
As far as the actual Carter signing goes, my only real concerns with the deal are the NMC (never a good idea for widespread use) and age.
Carter wanted to retire with the LAK at the end of his contract, just playing with this Penguins made him want to play more, so the NMC assure him he would not be trade without his consent because it seems that he doesn't want to play in the NHL at any cost, he just wants to play for this Pittsburgh Penguins. And without any expansion in the next two years I don't see any problem giving him the NMC, it gives him stability that at 37 is a greater factor then money, see MAF and his trade rumors.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
NMCs for older players who've lost any interest in the idea of being traded around just because seems pretty common these days, and tbh good for them. Not super jazzed about it on two years but, touch wood, probably quite academic.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Carter wanted to retire with the LAK at the end of his contract, just playing with this Penguins made him want to play more, so the NMC assure him he would not be trade without his consent because it seems that he doesn't want to play in the NHL at any cost, he just wants to play for this Pittsburgh Penguins. And without any expansion in the next two years I don't see any problem giving him the NMC, it gives him stability that at 37 is a greater factor then money, see MAF and his trade rumors.

I dunno, man. If you are giving an NMC to a role player, you should at least see a discount. :laugh: Give the dude a modified NTC, or something.

It's not the Tanev contract, but it's not the best thing ever. I'd rate it a solid B.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEALBound

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I dunno, man. If you are giving an NMC to a role player, you should at least see a discount. :laugh: Give the dude a modified NTC, or something.

It's not the Tanev contract, but it's not the best thing ever. I'd rate it a solid B.
Maybe the NMC was the only way to make him sign the contract, because GM's comes and goes, but an NMC is forever ... and I think that this is a fair cap hit based on his production and age, can't compare based on his current deal signed 10 years ago.

Then it depends on the player, you can have a full NTC like Hornqvist and be traded anyway, or a modified NTC like Kessel and basically forcing where you want to go ...

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Maybe the NMC was the only way to make him sign the contract, because GM's comes and goes, but an NMC is forever ... and I think that this is a fair cap hit based on his production and age, can't compare based on his current deal signed 10 years ago.

Then it depends on the player, you can have a full NTC like Hornqvist and be traded anyway, or a modified NTC like Kessel and basically forcing where you want to go ...

It's certainly plausible. I'm just not super over the moon wild about the signing like some because I think the 3C (and Carter) are continually overrated here. But it's a decent contract, nothing to crow about, but nothing to really feel bad about either. It's just good. :dunno:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's currently 7 guys in the league with a 35+ contract worth 3mil or over a year.

6 have an NTC or NMC.

Suspect with those comparables, Carter would have just gone somewhere that would have given him one if we didn't.

Also, we'll see where the final season points are (I suspect his pace will drop with a lesser role), but right now the discount looks sizeable.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There's currently 7 guys in the league with a 35+ contract worth 3mil or over a year.

6 have an NTC or NMC.

Suspect with those comparables, Carter would have just gone somewhere that would have given him one if we didn't.

Also, we'll see where the final season points are (I suspect his pace will drop with a lesser role), but right now the discount looks sizeable.

I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong (and would be delighted if so), Peat. It's just wild to me that Carter has a stronger NMC than Ovechkin.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

It's fair and not unconcerning but I'd bet NMC was a sticking point. Lest we forget Carter hemmed and hawed a fair bit about accepting any trade out of LA for weeks before okaying the deal to come here. He just seems to be a guy who wants security and stability in the last few years of his career.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Rust is weird. I’ve never seen a guy look so discombobulated with his centerman and still be able to put up points like he does.

I remember when I was a kid and Mario was in his heyday, and I’d open the morning paper to check the box scores from the night before. It was usually a combination off all 3 forwards on his line that would end up getting on the scoreboard. You rarely see that with Jake, Sid and Rust.

Could just be the game at large is like that now though.
I suspect that Rust's hockey IQ isn't quite as high as Crosby's, so he makes up for it by working as hard (or at least, nearly as hard) as Crosby does.

Reactions: canadianguy77

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
After having another cup of coffee and thinking about it, if giving Jeff Carter an NMC is the catalyst to trimming the fat in the bottom 6, I am cautiously on board.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong (and would be delighted if so), Peat. It's just wild to me that Carter has a stronger NMC than Ovechkin.

Honestly I've got a slightly skeptical feeling about this contract in my gut. But in terms of raw comparables and numbers, all I can see are shiny upsides.

And yeah, Ovechkin not having a full one when most vets do is weird. Looks like the Caps are really strict about handing them out.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I suspect that Rust's hockey IQ isn't quite as high as Crosby's, so he makes up for it by working as hard (or at least, nearly as hard) as Crosby does.

I don't think Rust's effort has been nearly as 100%-never-quit as it was when he first came up, but that's age and injuries I think. But he's definitely not the same kind of player he was during the B2B, and I think that colors how people see him, he's not really as physical or tenacious, nor is he really "clutch".

That said, if he wants 6 million per, you absolutely sign him, because in a world where Zucker is getting $5.5, Rust is absolutely worth that extra 500K.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
He's on pace for 24 goals and 28 assists for 52 points in 75 games.

I think that's pretty solid given his age. Let's be honest, Crosby and Malkin aren't playing 82 games each, having Carter around is a really nice luxury.
If Rodrigues and Malkin are re-signed, they will have decent center depth.

Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Blueger, Rodrigues, O'Connor, Zohorna

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing about Bryan Rust - beyond the usual "do I really really really trust a no brainer amazing hockey player to be worth 6m on an unmovable contract after 30" - is whether he's honestly adding something to Line 1 and the Power Play, or just doing what most talented guys there would do. Because if it's the former, I think taking the gamble on 6m sounds pretty legit. And if it's the latter, lol no.

And I can never make up my mind. Him being increasingly turning into a reliable goalscorer tilts me more towards adding, but you can get other reliable goalscorers too.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I mean. How damaging can the NMC be? It's 2 years, not 6.

Worst case is we suck in 2 years and he nix a deal at the deadline and we lose oit on a 4th round pick. But if we suck he may even wanna go to a contender for a few months for a last chance at the cup. If anyone want him as a veteran deadline pickup.

And trade talk aside. If he starts to fall of a cliff after this or next season, so what? It will help out rebuild, ppl need to accept that we sooner rather than later will start a new X-generation

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well it's not bad. Its okay. It's not great.

I do think it was going to happen

The full NMC does not bother me. It means he wants to be here and it's 2 years. Even if we want to trade him year 2 at the deadline to get like a 3rd o well.
This ensures incredible C depth and probably the oldest centre core In the league.

I think Letang is super important but I don't see a 9 in front of his number. Malkin said he's down for a discount.

The question will become who doesn't get signed between the other UFas.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The thing about Bryan Rust - beyond the usual "do I really really really trust a no brainer amazing hockey player to be worth 6m on an unmovable contract after 30" - is whether he's honestly adding something to Line 1 and the Power Play, or just doing what most talented guys there would do. Because if it's the former, I think taking the gamble on 6m sounds pretty legit. And if it's the latter, lol no.

And I can never make up my mind. Him being increasingly turning into a reliable goalscorer tilts me more towards adding, but you can get other reliable goalscorers too.

I don't think there's any question he's adding something to l1 and the pp. Producing at a > PPG rate is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad