Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Didn't expect this at this point in the season but I like the signing

Carter has been very solid for us and I don't see a drastic drop off in the 2 years, even so he will be at 3 mil his last season.

Nice thing is he can play C or W and if we have to move him to one of those positions to fill a better player we have that option, add to the fact he seems like a great team guy and knows what it takes to win.

Minimal risk

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think there's any question he's adding something to l1 and the pp. Producing at a > PPG rate is very good.

What Bryan Rust is doing is dope as f***.

But if we're looking at what we expect him to do going forwards, we need to cool our jets a little. Rust's scoring is a huge candidate for regression unless you think he's natural talent a guy who should be around 6th in the league for ppg, between MacKinnon and Huberdeau, quite a bit ahead of Sid, Jake, and Geno.

If you think that you sign him for 6 x 6m today, and you do it quick while you can keep a straight face.

If you don't think that, you've got to work out a sensible expected rate to compare him to alternatives to.

Reactions: Pancakes

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'm actually ok with this. But also, wtf does this mean for Blueger and his role on this team?

Sucks but as long as sully is here TB will be the 4th line center. I could see Carter moving to wing tho if the pens ended up with another center tho too. Carter has already spent time on wing this year.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Also this teams has like zero center prospects. Keep the centers and move the wings. If Rust walks you have this to start with. Also let ZAR walk.

Jake - Sid - xxx
xxx - Geno - Kap
Zucker - Carter - xxx
xxx - TB - McGinn

You have 4 spots now.
Possibly resign Erod and/or Heinen

Give a legit shot for 2 of these guys to make it next year.
DOC
Zohorna
Puus
Nylander
Poulin
Legare

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Didn't expect this at this point in the season but I like the signing

Carter has been very solid for us and I don't see a drastic drop off in the 2 years, even so he will be at 3 mil his last season.

Nice thing is he can play C or W and if we have to move him to one of those positions to fill a better player we have that option, add to the fact he seems like a great team guy and knows what it takes to win.

Minimal risk

A drop off is only one of many concerns.

You are locking up Cap $'s and a roster spot for 2 additional years when you had all of the leverage. Winning streaks in the middle of the season mean nothing, other than a winning streak mid season. It's all so short sighted in my opinion. I guess a lot of this goes back to the playoff series against the Isles and how close management thinks they were to winning that one and beyond.

I don't see it. Playoffs in the NHL are a meat grinder, and that's after a long regular season. Is this team built for playoffs?

You are locking out cheaper younger players from a roster spot for a player at the very end of his career. He has an NMC which now gives him leverage and will cost you assets if you decide in 14 months you have to move him, and if he's agreeable to said move.

Do we know if Z put in the same spot for 25 would be equal to or even greater.......at a lower cost with fresh young legs??

Do we know what player might be playing his way off of his current team and might be exactly what this team needs for this year or next?

Do we know who will be available in FA, younger, tougher and possibly a steal for equal $'s?

I was hoping that this upcoming offseason would finally be the one where they infused youth and dynamic with the roster. This signing signals that they want nothing of the sort.

It looks like I'm crazy after the streak they have been on the past 45 days............ We'll revisit after the playoffs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Erod was for a month playing top lines and top pp. He has 1pt in his last like 11 now.
People wanted to pay him $3 or $4 million per year, on a multi year deal as recently as a month ago.

Bananas

I can understand not liking the signing due to his age or the NTC, but to knock it because we might lose Erod is odd.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What Bryan Rust is doing is dope as f***.

But if we're looking at what we expect him to do going forwards, we need to cool our jets a little. Rust's scoring is a huge candidate for regression unless you think he's natural talent a guy who should be around 6th in the league for ppg, between MacKinnon and Huberdeau, quite a bit ahead of Sid, Jake, and Geno.

If you think that you sign him for 6 x 6m today, and you do it quick while you can keep a straight face.

If you don't think that, you've got to work out a sensible expected rate to compare him to alternatives to.

I feel like as a 29 year old you probably expect (or at least hope for) 3 or so more years of paces similar to what he has done in the past three years. After that a decline seems likely. So if you sign him to a hefty price for 6 years you probably get three years where he's worth what you give him or even a bargain and three years where he's not.

I feel like I'm OK with that gamble as the Pens since they will be tailing off in the last three years of a theoretical Rust contract anyways.

But of course it isn't in a vacuum either. In order of importance for signing our free agents, I'd still rate it: Letang-->Malkin--->Rust--->Erod in that order. So I'd prefer to get Letang and Malkin done before worrying about anyone else.

Rust might actually be a more valuable/offensively productive player than Malkin at this point in their careers, but Malkin is I think still more important even with that just because he's a center and we have nobody who can plug those minutes effectively. Carter ain't a 2c anymore. As for Letang, he's obviously the linchpin to our entire defense. Nobody can fill those minutes the way he can. If we lose him it will be devastating and may slam whatever remains of our window shut.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't see it. Playoffs in the NHL are a meat grinder, and that's after a long regular season. Is this team built for playoffs?

Surely worrying about this team's playoff suitability is all the more reason to put a priority on keeping one of the team's bigger stronger guys, who scored 5 in 6 in the last playoffs and has a long history of production there? Sure you worry about the legs, but an older Cullen went though the playoffs playing 14 minutes a night just fine.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong (and would be delighted if so), Peat. It's just wild to me that Carter has a stronger NMC than Ovechkin.
Ovehckin is probably banking on the fact the Capitals would never trade him. Things would have to go down hill real fast for him in which case who's going to want him at that price? Or the team goes down hill real fast in which case, maybe he'd be fine with a trade? Forgoing the NMC probably got him some extra money and he effectively has a NMC anyway.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Surely worrying about this team's playoff suitability is all the more reason to put a priority on keeping one of the team's bigger stronger guys, who scored 5 in 6 in the last playoffs and has a long history of production there? Sure you worry about the legs, but an older Cullen went though the playoffs playing 14 minutes a night just fine.

If the Pens didn't have an aging core, I wouldn't mind Carter. Cullen was here during our core's prime.

But a thought, a few weeks back the Pens took on the Kings, the team that Carter wanted to stay with, the team that decided it was time to move on. The Pens were beaten in every facet of the game, out worked, out hit, out chanced, out skated........ it was embarrassing.

You could say it was just a bad night for the B & G....... Not me, I hoped it would fire a warning shot to the FO that this team needed to get some energy on this roster and quick. They obviously saw it as a bad night.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If the Pens didn't have an aging core, I wouldn't mind Carter. Cullen was here during our core's prime.

But a thought, a few weeks back the Pens took on the Kings, the team that Carter wanted to stay with, the team that decided it was time to move on. The Pens were beaten in every facet of the game, out worked, out hit, out chanced, out skated........ it was embarrassing.

You could say it was just a bad night for the B & G....... Not me, I hoped it would fire a warning shot to the FO that this team needed to get some energy on this roster and quick. They obviously saw it as a bad night.
You're talking about 1 of the 2 losses they suffered in the last month and half?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I dunno, man. If you are giving an NMC to a role player, you should at least see a discount. :laugh: Give the dude a modified NTC, or something.

It's not the Tanev contract, but it's not the best thing ever. I'd rate it a solid B.

I'd say 3.125 mil per is a discount for Carter.

Counting the playoffs - where he was our best player - Carter's scored 25 goals and 42 points in 56 games as a Penguin. That's a 36 goals/62 points per 82 games pace. And he's 57% on faceoffs, best on the team.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

You are locking up Cap $'s and a roster spot for 2 additional years when you had all of the leverage. Winning streaks in the middle of the season mean nothing, other than a winning streak mid season. It's all so short sighted in my opinion. I guess a lot of this goes back to the playoff series against the Isles and how close management thinks they were to winning that one and beyond.

You are locking out cheaper younger players from a roster spot for a player at the very end of his career. He has an NMC which now gives him leverage and will cost you assets if you decide in 14 months you have to move him, and if he's agreeable to said move.

Do we know if Z put in the same spot for 25 would be equal to or even greater.......at a lower cost with fresh young legs??

Do we know what player might be playing his way off of his current team and might be exactly what this team needs for this year or next?

Do we know who will be available in FA, younger, tougher and possibly a steal for equal $'s?

I was hoping that this upcoming offseason would finally be the one where they infused youth and dynamic with the roster. This signing signals that they want nothing of the sort.

It looks like I'm crazy after the streak they have been on the past 45 days............ We'll revisit after the playoffs.

Ehhh, its 3 million for a very solid player for us. I cant stand this love for Zohorna, I mean I like guy and think he looks promising but he has been in NA for what? 2 years....Obviously there are things they want him to work on, (Ill trust our staff on that one)

Do we really want to wait until FA and then the board go nuts because we couldn't lock up a FA. I mean it's easy to say, " we should have signed so and so but nobody knows what goes on with the phone calls.

Carter for his production is a steal at that price and Ill take it 10 out of 10 times.

They want to win and Carter contributes to that, you can say what you want about the Isles series but if we had any better goaltending in games 4-6 we win that series. That same Islanders team took Stanley Cup Champion TB to a game 7 so yes I believe they were pretty close. Many things have to happen right to win the Cup

And to say it looks like you're crazy.......you're really hedging your bets there lol.......its not easy to win no matter what

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

definitely was a bad game…I’ll be interested in seeing how they look Sunday against LAK…but the Kings, Stars, Flames have been bad matchups for the Pens this year and in the past in some cases because of their heavily defensive style…

true test of how much age matters in our centers will be the playoffs…I believe it’s fine if our wings are young and speedy…which is why I wouldn’t be interested in re-signing Rust and we need to move Zucker out…

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
definitely was a bad game…I’ll be interested in seeing how they look Sunday against LAK…but the Kings, Stars, Flames have been bad matchups for the Pens this year and in the past in some cases because of their heavily defensive style…

true test of how much age matters in our centers will be the playoffs…I believe it’s fine if our wings are young and speedy…which is why I wouldn’t be interested in re-signing Rust and we need to move Zucker out…

Indeed, it will an interesting watch. I should also note that those teams will only ramp up that style more in a series, where fatigue and injuries show up the longer a series lasts.

I understand that all of those team are in the West, but TB, Fla, Wash, Boston can all play the same type of game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Indeed, it will an interesting watch. I should also note that those teams will only ramp up that style more in a series, where fatigue and injuries show up the longer a series lasts.

I understand that all of those team are in the West, but TB, Fla, Wash, Boston can all play the same type of game.

I like the Pens chances against all but Boston…but maybe that’s just my past view of the Bs…present reality could be different…we’ll see in a couple weeks…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like as a 29 year old you probably expect (or at least hope for) 3 or so more years of paces similar to what he has done in the past three years. After that a decline seems likely. So if you sign him to a hefty price for 6 years you probably get three years where he's worth what you give him or even a bargain and three years where he's not.

I feel like I'm OK with that gamble as the Pens since they will be tailing off in the last three years of a theoretical Rust contract anyways.

But of course it isn't in a vacuum either. In order of importance for signing our free agents, I'd still rate it: Letang-->Malkin--->Rust--->Erod in that order. So I'd prefer to get Letang and Malkin done before worrying about anyone else.

Rust might actually be a more valuable/offensively productive player than Malkin at this point in their careers, but Malkin is I think still more important even with that just because he's a center and we have nobody who can plug those minutes effectively. Carter ain't a 2c anymore. As for Letang, he's obviously the linchpin to our entire defense. Nobody can fill those minutes the way he can. If we lose him it will be devastating and may slam whatever remains of our window shut.

Thing is his last three years has been wild! Just looking at scoring

19-20 - Great production, fantastic goalscoring, meh playmaking,
20-21 - Just a body
21-22 - Fantastic production, meh goalscoring, unbelievable playmakng

It's like would the real Bryan Rust please stand up? He's been consistent on the power play, but we've seen guys like McCann and ERod come in and rip off a bunch of goals too. Fifth guy on the Pens power play is a good place to be.

And that's without getting into who Sid and Geno score most with, who has the best line stats, who scores most with Sid and Geno (particularly when with Guentzel). To use the easy and unpopular example - Dominik Simon has outscored Rust when with Sid and Jake, and Sid has been more productive with Simon over Rust.

Guess we'll see at the end of the season.

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Fair. To me this month has just looked like a typical midseason Pens waiting for the playoffs, same as we saw with the core in their prime, but we'll see how things go come March and beyond.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ovehckin is probably banking on the fact the Capitals would never trade him. Things would have to go down hill real fast for him in which case who's going to want him at that price? Or the team goes down hill real fast in which case, maybe he'd be fine with a trade? Forgoing the NMC probably got him some extra money and he effectively has a NMC anyway.

It is mostly that they would not NOT ask him before trading him. Adding an NMC to the contract, for a guy like him, is not necessary. They would not destroy the relationship (and the future income that comes with it) by trading him without his consent. Same would apply to Sid and Geno here.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd say 3.125 mil per is a discount for Carter.

Counting the playoffs - where he was our best player - Carter's scored 25 goals and 42 points in 56 games as a Penguin. That's a 36 goals/62 points per 82 games pace. And he's 57% on faceoffs, best on the team.

I'm not denying Carter fills a definite niche here, but I also don't think it's really a huge discount. So, I kinda feel that the signing is fine, good to have Carter back, hopefully he's not overused. But it's also not steal by any means. :dunno:

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad