Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The f***ing Swiss. They ruin everything-- chocolate, timekeeping, hoarding gold bars like a dragon.

And then they caved on bank accounts. I remember having a "Swiss Bank Account" WAY back in the day. Thought I was crafty having an international bank account being that I was going all over the world. Then the world changed. Instead of caving, I took the $300 in it and closed it. Damn Swiss.

I dunno, man. If you are giving an NMC to a role player, you should at least see a discount. :laugh: Give the dude a modified NTC, or something.

It's not the Tanev contract, but it's not the best thing ever. I'd rate it a solid B.

I think that's fair. I think Carter got market value and the NMC was a sign of respect or an atta-boy for playing so well for us. Not outrageous but certainly not a discount.

Goddamn. Hockey names get dumber every year.

Hey! Kappo Kakko is one of the best hockey names we have! I long for the day we see more Zarley Zalapskis

JR spent over 3 years and multiple high picks and other wasted assets trying to find a 3 C. Now that we have one it would be pretty dumb not to lock him up if he's willing.

Maybe.

One of the thing this made me wonder about is the organizations view on Teddy Bleuger. TB certainly hasn't forced any hands this year and we didn't necessarily see an offensive explosion of any sorts. However, that said, pacing for 30pts as a defensive/special teams 4C is quite nice. But if we need to cut salary, maybe TB and his $2.2 could be going out to a team that wants to give him the promotion. Then we can backfill with Big Z or DOC. ERod can also have the 3C slot if needed.

Just a thought.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Drew O'Connor has been WBS' best centre when available to them. Up here, he's been a ZAR-Simon hybrid, only with great production for 5 games and nothing thereafter. The other three WBS forwards we've tried this year are better at wing and only Zohorna has suggested he deserves more of a go. I don't think the results suggest we should be bringing up WBS players to try, and neither has watching WBS suggested it to me.

As for young guys like Duclair, Verhaeghe, Pitlick - this guy does pick up kids like that and give them a shot. See ERod and Heinen. They've done great for us. Long term all situation 3C material? Maaaaybe ERod. I'd like to see more on that tbh. But I'm unconvinced he's suited to the role. Most of the gem in the rough kids doing great have been plugged onto lines with very talented players and given good situations. Carter's being asked to take on all situations, and often to be the very talented player in that situation that helps gems in the rough. There's not a lot of kids that have done great at that.

The odds of there being a kid who can do what Carter can do is super small. A kid who can fill in as a top 6 wing and save us some money? Maybe yeah. But all situations 3C who scores a ton? That's a lot rarer.

If you listen to LA fans when we made the trade, Cater was checked out there. Didn't relish being the veteran mentor to a group with no chance of winning. He came here, got a chance to win, and has been a revelation who wants to keep on playing, which maybe he didn't in LA. That's why LA traded him.

And his production says everything about why we wanted him.

Will his legs be up to a 24-25 game post-season? Well hopefully we'll see but while I get the desire to have a more proven thing, more energy, I don't think it's unusual for veterans who take care of themselves to have the legs - and the org knows exactly how physically fit he is.

I think all of that is very fair. But I also want to point out that there is more than production that young guys can bring; unbridled enthusiasm can do wonders for the entire locker room, especially one that has had as much success as this roster.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I like the Pens chances against all but Boston…but maybe that’s just my past view of the Bs…present reality could be different…we’ll see in a couple weeks…
Same. Our only scheduled game with the big bad Bruins was EDIT:postponed. We have four versus them coming up in next couple of months. That will be an important gauge for this team. I think BOS is definitely ascending while the Caps are plummeting. Carolina/Tampa & Florida are just solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Carter being a shoot-first forward with an actual good shot is another positive for a team with pass-first tendencies.
As is being 6'3" 220lbs on a team with sub 6' sub 200lb tendencies.

(Don't quote me on the height. They might not be that short, but there's only a handful of guys cracking 200lb and a couple of them aren't even regulars in Boyle, Zohorna).

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As is being 6'3" 220lbs on a team with sub 6' sub 200lb tendencies.

(Don't quote me on the height. They might not be that short, but there's only a handful of guys cracking 200lb and a couple of them aren't even regulars in Boyle, Zohorna).

We are actually on average one of the taller teams in the league. The weight is the issue.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think all of that is very fair. But I also want to point out that there is more than production that young guys can bring; unbridled enthusiasm can do wonders for the entire locker room, especially one that has had as much success as this roster.

Amen to that. And one of the advantages to having a 3C like Carter is it makes it easier to put some kids on his line, and I hope they take advantage of that.

We are actually on average one of the taller teams in the league. The weight is the issue.

Pittsburgh Beanpoles. Or Pittsburgh Petterssons.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That blows me away. In my eyes, we look small compared to pretty much anyone. Tampa, WAS, LAK, STL, etc., seem much bigger.

Screen-Shot-2021-11-03-at-12.27.36-AM.png

I was wrong.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Size/weight averages should, but probably can’t, factor in ice time. Boyle is huge but barely plays. Meanwhile our #1 d-man and 4 of our top 6 forwards are under 6’0”.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Size/weight averages should, but probably can’t, factor in ice time. Boyle is huge but barely plays. Meanwhile our #1 d-man and 4 of our top 6 forwards are under 6’0”.

Yeah most of our best players are pretty small. It's part of what makes me leery of re-upping everyone.

It'd be nice to have a bulldozer or two on the roster.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah most of our best players are pretty small. It's part of what makes me leery of re-upping everyone.

It'd be nice to have a bulldozer or two on the roster.

Particularly on the wing. Which is why I think we have trouble winning net front battles and establishing screens/rebound threats on a consistent basis.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Speaking of Carter specifically, my god he's been a non-factor offensively down the stretch and so far in the playoffs.

It's night and day compared to the Carter we saw last playoffs.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Speaking of Carter specifically, my god he's been a non-factor offensively down the stretch and so far in the playoffs.

It's night and day compared to the Carter we saw last playoffs.

Who would’ve guess a player who got comfortable in LA after a few years would get comfortable here too…

Although, I think Sullivan’s usage of him is a little crazy.. nearly a minute more in the regular season and two minutes in the playoffs on average..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who would’ve guess a player who got comfortable in LA after a few years would get comfortable here too…

Although, I think Sullivan’s usage of him is a little crazy.. nearly a minute more in the regular season and two minutes in the playoffs on average..

I'm not even sure it's necessarily an effort or too comfortable thing with Carter right now. He just doesn't look the least bit dangerous when the puck is on his stick.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Carter really needs his minutes managed to stay effective it seems. We basically rode him straight to the glue factory this year, first because we had to, and then because of habit.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad