Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
BTW take a look at the players making 3 mil a season, gimme Carter

I started with rookies and avoided 1st rounders to head off that retort:

Tanner Jeannot
Michael Bunting
Arthur Kaliyev
Rem Pitlick
Anthony Duclair (which I am on record as begging for 3 years ago) Same price as Carter, with sassy young legs.
Drake Batherson
Ivan Barbashev
Evan Rodriquez
Carter Verhaeghe

Outside of Duclair, all of these guys come at a greatly reduced cost. That's with 5 minutes of research, if I took the time, the list would be very long.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Tanner Jeannot
Michael Bunting
Arthur Kaliyev
Rem Pitlick
Anthony Duclair (which I am on record as begging for 3 years ago) Same price as Carter, with sassy young legs.
Drake Batherson
Ivan Barbashev
Evan Rodriquez
Carter Verhaeghe

Outside of Duclair, all of these guys come at a greatly reduced cost. That's with 5 minutes of research, if I took the time, the list would be very long.

That's all RFAs and winning the scratch off in free agency though. You want to build a team through those, get ready for a lot of Sam Laffertys and Mark Jankowskis.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Tanner Jeannot
Michael Bunting
Arthur Kaliyev
Rem Pitlick
Drake Batherson
Ivan Barbashev
Evan Rodriquez
Carter Verhaeghe

And the guys that are performing there are getting raises so there not much out there or they are on new contracts. Most of those guys listed are unattainable, that was my point, Carter at 3 mil is solid

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
That's all RFAs and winning the scratch off in free agency though. You want to build a team through those, get ready for a lot of Sam Laffertys and Mark Jankowskis.

Sorry, I didn't clarify,. A lot of those guys listed are young guys that organizations gave an opportunity to and all are outside of top picks. I'm not saying the Pens should have tried to acquire any of them outside of Duclair.....who i have been pimping for years.

The Pens have some interesting players in WBS, would any shine if given Carter's spot?

I reread my post regarding the Kings; it's amazing to me that they looked at Carter and said "we can't" moving forward. You would think Carter should be with a young core adding that Vet leadership, that makes sense. But the Pens??? It didn't really make sense at the time when we made the trade for 1.25 seasons; Now we double down for 2 more?? Tell me what I'm missing.

Let's say the Pens advance out of round 1 this year, how much life do those 37 year old legs have come the second round? No one can honestly answer this question because those 37 year old legs have never been in the second round.

They'll be 38 year old legs next year.........you'll never guess what happens the following season.

It is what is.......I'm not upset, the team has been a good watch on most nights. I'm just a frustrated GM that would love to have a voice in that room.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh

Tanner Jeannot
Michael Bunting
Arthur Kaliyev
Rem Pitlick
Drake Batherson
Ivan Barbashev
Evan Rodriquez
Carter Verhaeghe

Ah yes Kaliyev, who has 12 pts over 48 games at a -5. And I'm sure most would agree that Barbs is going to make north of 3 when his RFA contract is done.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Good job missing my point. Classic internets

Not coming at you but I got his point pretty well. You listed players that are going to be making more or are still on their rookie contracts?

My point was guys that are going to be signed or were just signed at Carter price.....gimme Carter ( I'm sure there are a few guys I would prefer out there but whos gonna play that game/carters here)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Not coming at you but I got his point pretty well. You listed players that are going to be making more or are still on their rookie contracts?

My point was guys that are going to be signed or were just signed at Carter price.....gimme Carter ( I'm sure there are a few guys I would prefer out there but whos gonna play that game/carters here)

Eh, it had little to do with my main point, and if anyone is honest, they would know that. I did a quick search for production based on contract type.

We'll revisit this thread after playoffs and the coming 2 seasons.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Eh, it had little to do with my main point, and if anyone is honest, they would know that. I did a quick search for production based on contract type.

We'll revisit this thread after playoffs and the coming 2 seasons.

Hey, I could be off on what your point was then. I just see some that you listed that are on mostly rookie contracts that are either producing less and will garner close to the same contract as Carter or, will price themselves beyond what he makes. IMHO, it's good value for next year. As for his last year, we might have to revisit as you said.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sorry, I didn't clarify,. A lot of those guys listed are young guys that organizations gave an opportunity to and all are outside of top picks. I'm not saying the Pens should have tried to acquire any of them outside of Duclair.....who i have been pimping for years.

The Pens have some interesting players in WBS, would any shine if given Carter's spot?

Drew O'Connor has been WBS' best centre when available to them. Up here, he's been a ZAR-Simon hybrid, only with great production for 5 games and nothing thereafter. The other three WBS forwards we've tried this year are better at wing and only Zohorna has suggested he deserves more of a go. I don't think the results suggest we should be bringing up WBS players to try, and neither has watching WBS suggested it to me.

As for young guys like Duclair, Verhaeghe, Pitlick - this guy does pick up kids like that and give them a shot. See ERod and Heinen. They've done great for us. Long term all situation 3C material? Maaaaybe ERod. I'd like to see more on that tbh. But I'm unconvinced he's suited to the role. Most of the gem in the rough kids doing great have been plugged onto lines with very talented players and given good situations. Carter's being asked to take on all situations, and often to be the very talented player in that situation that helps gems in the rough. There's not a lot of kids that have done great at that.

The odds of there being a kid who can do what Carter can do is super small. A kid who can fill in as a top 6 wing and save us some money? Maybe yeah. But all situations 3C who scores a ton? That's a lot rarer.

I reread my post regarding the Kings; it's amazing to me that they looked at Carter and said "we can't" moving forward. You would think Carter should be with a young core adding that Vet leadership, that makes sense. But the Pens??? It didn't really make sense at the time when we made the trade for 1.25 seasons; Now we double down for 2 more?? Tell me what I'm missing.

Let's say the Pens advance out of round 1 this year, how much life do those 37 year old legs have come the second round? No one can honestly answer this question because those 37 year old legs have never been in the second round.

They'll be 38 year old legs next year.........you'll never guess what happens the following season.

It is what is.......I'm not upset, the team has been a good watch on most nights. I'm just a frustrated GM that would love to have a voice in that room.

If you listen to LA fans when we made the trade, Cater was checked out there. Didn't relish being the veteran mentor to a group with no chance of winning. He came here, got a chance to win, and has been a revelation who wants to keep on playing, which maybe he didn't in LA. That's why LA traded him.

And his production says everything about why we wanted him.

Will his legs be up to a 24-25 game post-season? Well hopefully we'll see but while I get the desire to have a more proven thing, more energy, I don't think it's unusual for veterans who take care of themselves to have the legs - and the org knows exactly how physically fit he is.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Sucks but as long as sully is here TB will be the 4th line center. I could see Carter moving to wing tho if the pens ended up with another center tho too. Carter has already spent time on wing this year.
Yeah it's ridiculous how little Sully understands about Blueger and his game. He's seen him as just a 4c that plays solid defense but ignores his production when he's not anchored to ZAR.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I also question if a player like Carter is gobbled up in UFA immediately

Why does that matter? Carter wouldn't be gobbled up because he's likely very selective and wants to control his destiny and interested teams will be very aware of that.

I don't see what the Pens would be waiting for. They either want Carter or they don't. To me this has very little bearing on Geno and Letang and E-Rod and Rust are likely to test the market either way. Get the known commodity that wants to stay now and work on the rest as their intentions and options become more clear.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
I think thats the most likely scenario actually. I think combined they will be slightly less than what they currently are now. Something like 7mil x 3 years for Geno and 8.7mil x 4 years for Letang. Extra year for Letang cause hes a year younger and drops his cap hit to Sids.

Journalists covering the Pens on other paywalled sites have said that Letang wants a raise, and feels he has been underpaid. Malkin, on the other hand, is willing to take less to stay here.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Drew O'Connor has been WBS' best centre when available to them. Up here, he's been a ZAR-Simon hybrid, only with great production for 5 games and nothing thereafter. The other three WBS forwards we've tried this year are better at wing and only Zohorna has suggested he deserves more of a go. I don't think the results suggest we should be bringing up WBS players to try, and neither has watching WBS suggested it to me.

As for young guys like Duclair, Verhaeghe, Pitlick - this guy does pick up kids like that and give them a shot. See ERod and Heinen. They've done great for us. Long term all situation 3C material? Maaaaybe ERod. I'd like to see more on that tbh. But I'm unconvinced he's suited to the role. Most of the gem in the rough kids doing great have been plugged onto lines with very talented players and given good situations. Carter's being asked to take on all situations, and often to be the very talented player in that situation that helps gems in the rough. There's not a lot of kids that have done great at that.

The odds of there being a kid who can do what Carter can do is super small. A kid who can fill in as a top 6 wing and save us some money? Maybe yeah. But all situations 3C who scores a ton? That's a lot rarer.

If you listen to LA fans when we made the trade, Cater was checked out there. Didn't relish being the veteran mentor to a group with no chance of winning. He came here, got a chance to win, and has been a revelation who wants to keep on playing, which maybe he didn't in LA. That's why LA traded him.

And his production says everything about why we wanted him.

Will his legs be up to a 24-25 game post-season? Well hopefully we'll see but while I get the desire to have a more proven thing, more energy, I don't think it's unusual for veterans who take care of themselves to have the legs - and the org knows exactly how physically fit he is.

I couldn't agree with this more................good talk

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah it's ridiculous how little Sully understands about Blueger and his game. He's seen him as just a 4c that plays solid defense but ignores his production when he's not anchored to ZAR.

I just hope Hextall is over ZAR and TB is freed next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carter on TB's wing as well. It all depends on who from WBS can step up. They need someone too next year thats for sure.

McGinn - TB - Carter would be a hell of a third line.

Assuming one of Zucker or Rust is gone

Jake - Sid - Rust/Erod
Zucker/Erod - Geno - Kap
McGinn - TB - Carter

That is till a really solid top 9 to start the year. You can build a fourth line out of signings and WBS players. This team needs to start letting some young guys play on the fourth line.

Zoho - Doc - Angello would be a solid 4th line with some proven NHL experience.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m glad the man rocket is sticking around as long as sleepy doesn’t think he’s a 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad