Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter signs two-year extension with Penguins

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Even if Carter is "only" taking money away from the second tier of FAs is that altogether wise at this point in the season?

I dunno. I'm fine with it but just fine.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Excellent deal for the Pens. He has been solid here and slots in nicely as 3rd C. This signing isnt going to hinder Geno and Letang at all. They are just under 17mil combined, their new deals arent going to take more than that. Most likely Geno takes a minor paycut and Letang gets a small raise.
It would not surprise me one bit if Malkin and Letang essentially swap cap hits. The only question for both is term, I think.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It would not surprise me one bit if Malkin and Letang essentially swap cap hits. The only question for both is term, I think.
I think thats the most likely scenario actually. I think combined they will be slightly less than what they currently are now. Something like 7mil x 3 years for Geno and 8.7mil x 4 years for Letang. Extra year for Letang cause hes a year younger and drops his cap hit to Sids.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It just shows that the Pens expect to be competitive for at least the near future.

Reactions: Giskard

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm cool with it, as we don't really have any prospects busting down the door to take his job. He was still on that massive deal from Philly, so this amounts to about 2m less than he's making now. As long as this doesn't impact Malkin/Letang, I'm fine with it. I figure Rust, ERod and Co. will get bigger deals from other teams.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm cool with it, as we don't really have any prospects busting down the door to take his job. He was still on that massive deal from Philly, so this amounts to about 2m less than he's making now. As long as this doesn't impact Malkin/Letang, I'm fine with it. I figure Rust, ERod and Co. will get bigger deals from other teams.

I mean, I would hope we’d swap him to RW if we do have a C worth a damn.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The more I look at this deal I ask why?

NMC, term and a decent chunk of change.

Definitely a concern with his age.

However, not sure how we'd replace him given our cap constraints and we have nobody in the system rearing to take those minutes and do as well or better with them. If the Pens were to try to find a Carter equivalent elsewhere they'd have to pay assets or more money to get that.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
People have been saying since they traded for him that he was going to retire or go play in Switzerland (OK, just that one guy said that). I've said all along he wasn't going to leave millions of dollars on the table when he is still a more than capable NHL player.

He's produced at a 2C level since he's got here, so to get him for $3M is a fantastic deal for the Pens. Some regression is likely at his age, but he's got some room before that becomes a bad deal for the Pens.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Definitely a concern with his age.

However, not sure how we'd replace him given our cap constraints and we have nobody in the system rearing to take those minutes and do as well or better with them. If the Pens were to try to find a Carter equivalent elsewhere they'd have to pay assets or more money to get that.

I would’ve easily given this exact deal to Rodrigues over Carter tbh if we had to do it right now.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
This is great, ideally you'd have gotten the cap hit a smidge lower, but no big deal. Carter provides insurance against Sid and Geno getting hurt, Geno leaving, Rust leaving, Kapanen being traded for spare parts, etc etc. Important player for us now, arguably more important moving into next year when I'd love to see him slotted on RW with Sid or Geno.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I would’ve easily given this exact deal to Rodrigues over Carter tbh if we had to do it right now.

I guess it is one of those where we'll know better how to evaluate it after we see how else they spend their remaining cap space

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Him and Teddy could always swap roles eventually, if his play falls down some. He’d still win faceoffs and pk some.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I didn't expect this during the season. I thought he might test the waters. He's done a heck of a job here and hopefully that will continue.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bit of an increase on his past deal eh? Atleast cap hit wise. A tad higher than I’d like but can’t really complain. Glad he’s here a couple more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad